Finding Patterns in Reasoning

LegendaryOne

Finding Patterns in Reasoning

Postby LegendaryOne » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Hey Guys,

Are there any good tips for analyzing questions and finding patterns? I sometimes find myself knowing what the answer is when I come to a question, but end up picking the incorrect answer choice. For example, during drilling I attempted to solve a strengthen causality question. I knew exactly what the answer was in my head, but ended up choosing the incorrect answer. This seems to happen a lot, but I don't know how to fix it. I BR regularly, and I know most of the common flaws, weaken, and strengthen patterns, but can't seem to demonstrate that knowledge on the test.

Thanks.

Clyde Frog

Re: Finding Patterns in Reasoning

Postby Clyde Frog » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:12 pm

Either your prephrased answers are not correct or you're not matching them correctly to the answer choices. Either way more drilling is needed.

HeirCroc

Postby HeirCroc » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:08 pm

yeah do just keep drilling problems with the correct process/reviewing them. If you are correctly prephrasing and choosing the wrong AC then with more exposure to questions and BReview you will get better at deciphering ACs and determining how they match/do not match with your prephrase.

KDLMaj

Postby KDLMaj » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:57 pm

LegendaryOne wrote:Hey Guys,

Are there any good tips for analyzing questions and finding patterns? I sometimes find myself knowing what the answer is when I come to a question, but end up picking the incorrect answer choice. For example, during drilling I attempted to solve a strengthen causality question. I knew exactly what the answer was in my head, but ended up choosing the incorrect answer. This seems to happen a lot, but I don't know how to fix it. I BR regularly, and I know most of the common flaws, weaken, and strengthen patterns, but can't seem to demonstrate that knowledge on the test.

Thanks.

Smart move. LR is all about argument patterns. It's also about understanding the format of the answer choices.

So basically the bulk of your LR questions are going to be Suff Assumption, Nec Assumption, Flaw, Str, and Weakening. If you get the argument but miss the answer- you may just not be preparing yourself to predict for that particular question type.

Here's a sample visual aid for predicting answers for Overlooked Possibilities arguments in the various question types: https://cloud.box.com/s/7g4l3ahwk49t8tpbtbwl

For Scope Shift-style arguments, it's a little different. But similar concepts. Necessary Assumption answers will connect the two specific mismatched concepts from the stimulus, Sufficient Assumption answers will often link broader versions of the terms that would still apply to the stim, Str/Wk will use relevant external examples that would strengthen the connection or attack it (Str questions are more likely to have scope shifts than weakening questions, on the whole), and flaw questions have a list of answer choices that can be as specific as assumption answers or abstract descriptions.

This may also help a little bit: https://cloud.box.com/s/lbecemlccmqj6lc2as1d

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”