Logic Games Support Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RZ5646

Gold

Logic Games Support Group

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:40 am

People who struggled with LG, what tips or advice do you have for getting better?

eta: My goal is -0. I've been drilling for a while with the aid of 7sage videos and I've been through the Powerscore LGB, and I've definitely gotten much better, but I'm still not close to -0. It's frustrating because I do very well on the other sections, but LG drags my score down. Not paying for any kind of course.
Last edited by RZ5646 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Logic Games Support Group

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:44 am

velocity lsat.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:44 am

Welcome to LG support group, a worldwide fellowship of men and women who help each other get through this exam. This is a closed group, you are welcome to stay if you have a desire to have a perfect LG score. If you have had a wrong answer in the last 24 hours, we ask that you only read the thread.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:05 am

Please guys I'm desperate

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:30 am

Just keep practicing. You said you've already improved, so just keep at it. When you finish the timed section, go back and blind review before you watch the videos. When you get something wrong really analyze what you did wrong and how to fix it in the future. Then be mindful of if there is a more efficient way to diagram/solve a problem. Also don't let one question suck up your time. Similar to other sections, know when its time to move on.

There are a limited amount of question types and different logic games so you really get used to the patterns.

When I took my very diagnostic I absolutely tanked LG and had NO IDEA how people thought this was a fun section. Then when I started going -0/-1 consistently it really did become a game =)

Hope this helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rmarshall

New

Post by rmarshall » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:58 am

Keep practicing. Don't time yourself right away.

The first question is usually an elimination question. If you've written your rules our correctly, they will help answer the first question. Skim the questions to see if the questions are absolute (MBT/MBF) or conditional (if/then). This was helpful to me when determining if I could use my scenarios or if it made sense to work the questions out as I got to them.

When reading/writing out the rules of the game, look for keywords that identify what type of game this is, whether scenarios are great and if you have to play the numbers.

After you've written out the rules, see if any can be combined. See if scenarios make sense. Scenarios are awesome because there are times when you are able to "unlock" the game. I wasn't a fan of them initially, but once I got the hang of them, it saved a lot of time with the questions, and the games became a lot easier.

Just keep at it, you'll get the hang of it.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:39 am

I guess I just need to keep drilling 5+ games per day and really understanding how the games work. I can almost always answer all the questions right; it's just doing that quickly that's a problem.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:05 pm

But really though, velocity is all about doing games quickly and is pretty cheap, I'm not some shill associated with them, I took it myself and ended up doing well, and I was terrible at games early on.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:12 pm

What could I get from Velocity that I couldn't get from the LG Bible and 7sage videos?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Do everything untimed in the Cambridge LG packet until you master them. Move on then to PTs and timed sections. Aim for around 5 minutes for the first game and if you're able to do that then you're set.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:39 pm

RZ5646 wrote:What could I get from Velocity that I couldn't get from the LG Bible and 7sage videos?
I just preferred the methods from Velocity over 7 sage personally, and I think its more forward looking and less retroactive how to do this game. The bible is meh.

ETA: just personal opinion obviously. I just know I didn't get any better after working with other methods until I did the whole velocity thing for lg. I would check out the free videos and see how it clicks for you.
Last edited by Clearly on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Clearly wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:What could I get from Velocity that I couldn't get from the LG Bible and 7sage videos?
I just preferred the methods from Velocity over 7 sage personally, and I think its more forward looking and less retroactive how to do this game. The bible is meh.
Don't really have much experience with Velocity but I do like their ordering game setup over any other system.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:56 pm

I also worry about memorizing games that I drill more than once and not being able to handle novel situations.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:33 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I also worry about memorizing games that I drill more than once and not being able to handle novel situations.
All the games you see in newer tests are basically just recycled games from previous tests. Reusing doesn't apply like it does to LR and RC.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:I also worry about memorizing games that I drill more than once and not being able to handle novel situations.
All the games you see in newer tests are basically just recycled games from previous tests. Reusing doesn't apply like it does to LR and RC.
That's encouraging because part of the reason I'm so demoralized is that I've been doing the oldest PT sections and their weird games end up being total train wrecks. I can always figure them out, but I take way too much time.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:
That's encouraging because part of the reason I'm so demoralized is that I've been doing the oldest PT sections and their weird games end up being total train wrecks. I can always figure them out, but I take way too much time.
Believe me, there are a lot of people not nearly smart enough to score in the 170s after only a few tests that scored -0 on the LG section. It's just a matter of putting in the time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:02 pm

I hope so. I'm missing only 2 or 3 questions on the rest of the test despite not really studying for those sections yet, so I think I'm smart enough to master LG... just need to put in the hours I guess.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:22 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I hope so. I'm missing only 2 or 3 questions on the rest of the test despite not really studying for those sections yet, so I think I'm smart enough to master LG... just need to put in the hours I guess.
Trust me I used to get wrecked by games, they were costing me the majority of my points at some point. When I started I would only finish half of them. Then I got decent at them, then I got great at them, then I stopped getting any wrong. Just keep working, focus on efficiency and using your prior work, most of the answers are prob already on your page.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:04 am

RZ5646 wrote:I hope so. I'm missing only 2 or 3 questions on the rest of the test despite not really studying for those sections yet, so I think I'm smart enough to master LG... just need to put in the hours I guess.
Yeah you're set. Once you get LG down you're 178+ every test.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:10 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
I was planning on the June test but now I think I may postpone and take October instead. Do you think 2 months is enough time to truly master LG, along with other studying, finals, etc.?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 am

RZ5646 wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:
I was planning on the June test but now I think I may postpone and take October instead. Do you think 2 months is enough time to truly master LG, along with other studying, finals, etc.?
It's possible. Just see where you're at a month before the test. If you're not comfortable then take it in October. The best thing that happened to me was canceling halfway through my first take and studying an extra couple months. I definitely was not ready going into my first test and it showed right away. If you're only missing 2-3 on the other sections combined then I would not take the test until I was confident I could score 176+ on test day.

sox49

Bronze

Post by sox49 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:41 am

one thing I've done that has helped me go from -4, -3 down to -0 is drill without writing anything down for each question unless i absolutely have to. i do them untimed. i set up each game, spend alot of time making as many inferences as i possibly can, then double check the beginning of the 7 sage videos to make sure i didn't miss an inference. then i do two hypotheticals, often using the most significant rules i can find. doing the hypotheticals also helped me gain a good understanding of when they are very useful (closed games with many or powerful rules) or not nearly as helpful (open games with a lot of possibilities). then for each question i try to visualize the game board or consult my hypotheticals instead of writing anything down. it takes time, but after i did this for a few weeks the games became very easy for me.

obviously i wouldn't advocate spending a ton of time doing hypotheticals and trying to squeeze out inferences when doing timed, unseen tests. but for drilling this helped me understand how the games work and move fluidly through the questions. just my take.

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:06 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:57 pm

zacboro wrote:Have you ever considered trying to drill for a week or so without looking at videos after? Like really trying to do it on your own, and figure out your own mistakes?
I'm always able to figure out all the questions by myself. 7sage just tends to reveal inferences that I missed that would have made the game easier.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”