Retaker LR help?

bob311

Retaker LR help?

Postby bob311 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey my friends. Will be retaking for a 3rd (and final) time in June. Already have a 164 but was practice testing 168-171 before December. The reading comp killed me, as I thought it was much harder than previous reading comp (I thought much much harder).

I am coming here looking for advice about LR. For the past 5 months, I have not been able to get over the proverbial hump. I am seemingly perpetually stuck at -2 to -5 per section. The distribution tends to be random, i.e. sometimes a few in the first 10, sometimes all in the last 6. It is fairly random. Also, the question types tend to be fairly random as well. More of tendency to get incorrect flaw questions, but I spend soooo much time on them. Just when I finished really focusing on 3-4 types I was getting incorrect, next section I take I get 4 wrong of completely different types I didn't get wrong before.

Basically I am looking for help to get over this hump. I have gone through the LR bible (didn't help), and now the Manhattan LR. I have done every cambridge packet, drilled each question type into the ground. Yet I am still stuck, timed or untimed. I do the double blind review thing and I usually can fix 1 or 2 mistakes, but it is always after the fact. Any tips or tricks are recommended, as well as psych help to help break this 5 month mental block.

Help. For this 3rd retest, I rather get a 175+ but it does not seem possible unless I can tame these LR sections. Thanks.

Also I will take advice on how to deal with having seen every LSAT question at least once? With regards to tests 45-now, I've seen each question 3+ times. I have been studying for a year now.

bob311

Re: Retaker LR help?

Postby bob311 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Any advice? Thanks my friends

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Are you keeping track of the exact questions you got wrong? This helped me a ton when studying. I would just snap a photo of each one I got wrong on my iPad and then review them every so often. As for moving forward you need to make sure you're approaching each question type correctly, prephrasing answers and learning how to identify wrong answers.

bob311

Postby bob311 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:Are you keeping track of the exact questions you got wrong? This helped me a ton when studying. I would just snap a photo of each one I got wrong on my iPad and then review them every so often. As for moving forward you need to make sure you're approaching each question type correctly, prephrasing answers and learning how to identify wrong answers.

Yeah I have a spreadsheet for every question type of which ones I get wrong and I either screenshot it (the cambridge packets on my computer) or literally cut them out from the LSAT I am using and save them.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:15 pm

bob311 wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:Are you keeping track of the exact questions you got wrong? This helped me a ton when studying. I would just snap a photo of each one I got wrong on my iPad and then review them every so often. As for moving forward you need to make sure you're approaching each question type correctly, prephrasing answers and learning how to identify wrong answers.

Yeah I have a spreadsheet for every question type of which ones I get wrong and I either screenshot it (the cambridge packets on my computer) or literally cut them out from the LSAT I am using and save them.

The way I got over the hump was by becoming an expert at identifying wrong answers, which also entails becoming an expert at prephrasing answers. I'd suggest going over earlier PTs or cambridge packets and doing the questions by first prephrasing and then eliminating wrong answers. Slowly go through the answer choices and make a note in your head why an answer is wrong until you've eliminated your answer choices and cannot find anything wrong with the last one.

Shoot me a pm of your spreadsheet also and I might be able to help.

bob311

Postby bob311 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
bob311 wrote:

The way I got over the hump was by becoming an expert at identifying wrong answers, which also entails becoming an expert at prephrasing answers. I'd suggest going over earlier PTs or cambridge packets and doing the questions by first prephrasing and then eliminating wrong answers. Slowly go through the answer choices and make a note in your head why an answer is wrong until you've eliminated your answer choices and cannot find anything wrong with the last one.

Great I will when I get back home to my computer with the spreadsheets. Any specific advice for prephrasing/ making sure I get all the wrong answers crossed out? I mean I do prephrase and I believe I attack problems with getting rid of the wrong choices. But there are always a few questions I just get wrong and after am just like %*(^$()(_)($_#@)(_@)#.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:45 pm

bob311 wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:
bob311 wrote:

Great I will when I get back home to my computer with the spreadsheets. Any specific advice for prephrasing/ making sure I get all the wrong answers crossed out? I mean I do prephrase and I believe I attack problems with getting rid of the wrong choices. But there are always a few questions I just get wrong and after am just like %*(^$()(_)($_#@)(_@)#.

Depends on the question type. For example, with identify the flaw, which you said you struggle with, and sufficient assumption you should know the answer before moving onto the answer choices

bob311

Postby bob311 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
Depends on the question type. For example, with identify the flaw, which you said you struggle with, and sufficient assumption you should know the answer before moving onto the answer choices

Yeah okay good point. I guess the larger problem I have is still how random my wrong answer distribution is question type wise if that makes sense.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”