June 2015 Re-Takers Study Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

You step into Ollivander's on Diagon Alley and see an array of wands before you. Which do you pick?

Whichever wand gets me my big law placement.
22%
I borrow Dumbledore's wand, in all of its sagacity, pursuing a life dedicated to servicing muggles and wizards alike.
8%
I don't choose the wand, the wand chooses me.
58%
I don't like wands, I'm a muggle (lurker).
11%

Total votes: 36

santoki

Silver

Post removed.

Post by santoki » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by santoki on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

biggestlawman

Silver

Re: June 2015 Re-Takers Study Thread

Post by biggestlawman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:43 pm

santoki wrote:OP, we the people were wondering whether it would be possible to have a FUN poll happen ITT. we have been deprived of a "fun" poll for so long and can nary remember what it is like.

please and thank you.

-TLS nation
OP was last seen here on Sunday at 7:15 pm (HER time). OP has been absent today!! :shock: :shock:

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:55 pm

biggestlawman wrote:
santoki wrote:OP, we the people were wondering whether it would be possible to have a FUN poll happen ITT. we have been deprived of a "fun" poll for so long and can nary remember what it is like.
please and thank you.
-TLS nation
OP was last seen here on Sunday at 7:15 pm (HER time). OP has been absent today!! :shock: :shock:
Uhh..she posted ITT a few hours ago.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:35 am

Rigo wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:sup fam
Howdy. The chips falling into place for you?
I think so. Little debt is always nice

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:09 am

brusselsprouts wrote:shak v good job with this thread i love it
all she did was click new topic what are you talking about

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:00 am

Last edited by NL2424 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 am

Hi bbs, sorry I haven't been as active ITT. I'm in the process of moving out, so I promise to be more responsive, and hopefully helpful, soon!

Happy studying! Follow your dreams!

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Just did my first timed section since the Feb test and went -0 on PT 39 LG!
For some odd reason I thought I only had 25 minutes per section and nearly freaked out when I was approach ~22 minutes. Then realized I had nearly 13 more minutes but I was already a third way into the last game at that point. :lol:

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Ben » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:33 pm

zacboro wrote:Yeah, to be honest I never drilled. But before Feb I was going -0 in games, -2/3 in LR, and -5/6 in RC. I don't know how exactly to do RC, nor do I have the resources, and for LR the questions I get wrong are not always the same, so I don't think drilling will help there. I know my RC is bad, but I'm hoping it will just improve with the sections in the PTs. And yeah, burnout was what got me last time, I won't let it happen again, thanks for reminding me.
If you aren't drilling by type, you aren't studying for the LSAT. Seriously, it's massively important. More important than anything else you can possibly do to prepare for this test.

If you're having trouble with RC, drill RC like a madman. Drill every passage ever released, and then drill them all over again. -0 in RC isn't some mythical promised land. It's a reflection of how much you drill. The same is true for the other sections too. As a general rule, you get better at the LSAT through pattern recognition (slow drilling by question type at high volumes) and mental endurance training (drilling for long periods of time without stopping, taking full length or longer timed PTs).

For LR, it doesn't matter that the questions you miss are "not always the same." In fact, it's expected. The primary purpose of drilling isn't to learn tricks to help you with a select few question types. The point is to make your problem solving process consistent and automatic, across the board. So even if you always seem to get flaw questions right in PTs, you should still be drilling flaw questions. The goal is to be so automatic that you don't even have to think about them. If you're always doing mixed review under timed conditions, it will be much harder (if not impossible) to get to that point where you feel completely comfortable in your process. Switching back and forth between question types and trying to race the clock are terrible conditions to practice efficient process. You're more likely to cut corners and less likely to internalize patterns.

That's why I like to say that taking PTs and timed sections is not actual prep time. Your real prep time is the time you spend on drilling and review. That's when you're actually developing your skills and making progress.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:35 pm

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Ben » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:46 pm

zacboro wrote:Well BP Ben I hadn't thought of it that way. When I go back to my desk/schedule I'll make some adjustments to go with the advice. Much appreciated.
Happy to help! Let me know if you have any issues or questions along the way. The retake struggle is real; I know from experience. But keep on grinding and making adjustments, and you'll hit your target.

biggestlawman

Silver

Post by biggestlawman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:32 pm

BP Ben wrote:
zacboro wrote:Yeah, to be honest I never drilled. But before Feb I was going -0 in games, -2/3 in LR, and -5/6 in RC. I don't know how exactly to do RC, nor do I have the resources, and for LR the questions I get wrong are not always the same, so I don't think drilling will help there. I know my RC is bad, but I'm hoping it will just improve with the sections in the PTs. And yeah, burnout was what got me last time, I won't let it happen again, thanks for reminding me.
If you aren't drilling by type, you aren't studying for the LSAT. Seriously, it's massively important. More important than anything else you can possibly do to prepare for this test.

If you're having trouble with RC, drill RC like a madman. Drill every passage ever released, and then drill them all over again. -0 in RC isn't some mythical promised land. It's a reflection of how much you drill. The same is true for the other sections too. As a general rule, you get better at the LSAT through pattern recognition (slow drilling by question type at high volumes) and mental endurance training (drilling for long periods of time without stopping, taking full length or longer timed PTs).

For LR, it doesn't matter that the questions you miss are "not always the same." In fact, it's expected. The primary purpose of drilling isn't to learn tricks to help you with a select few question types. The point is to make your problem solving process consistent and automatic, across the board. So even if you always seem to get flaw questions right in PTs, you should still be drilling flaw questions. The goal is to be so automatic that you don't even have to think about them. If you're always doing mixed review under timed conditions, it will be much harder (if not impossible) to get to that point where you feel completely comfortable in your process. Switching back and forth between question types and trying to race the clock are terrible conditions to practice efficient process. You're more likely to cut corners and less likely to internalize patterns.

That's why I like to say that taking PTs and timed sections is not actual prep time. Your real prep time is the time you spend on drilling and review. That's when you're actually developing your skills and making progress.
I got 164 in June with the same prep, or lack thereof, as Zac's. BP Ben, Thanks so much for providing such a comprehensive context for drilling.

cheesy145

New

Post by cheesy145 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:46 pm

nlee10 wrote:Just did my first timed section since the Feb test and went -0 on PT 39 LG!
For some odd reason I thought I only had 25 minutes per section and nearly freaked out when I was approach ~22 minutes. Then realized I had nearly 13 more minutes but I was already a third way into the last game at that point. :lol:
Thats awesome congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doctorofoz

New

Post removed.

Post by doctorofoz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by doctorofoz on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggestlawman

Silver

Post by biggestlawman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 pm

doctorofoz wrote:Checking in!

Feb 2015 was my first test, and I am hoping to get a couple more points this time around. But, I haven't looked at any LSAT materials since...
Please be more specific. Do you think that we are a bunch of jokesters?? 8)
Last edited by biggestlawman on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 pm

doctorofoz wrote:Checking in!
Feb 2015 was my first test, and I am hoping to get a couple more points this time around. But, I haven't looked at any LSAT materials since...
Welcome! Definitely don't hesitate any longer. It gets harder and harder go pick it back up with each passing day.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Happy April Fool's Day, friends! I hope you were all pranking your LG packets instead of the other way around!! 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cheesy145

New

Post by cheesy145 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Just did my first blind review today. Did not do when I was studying for my first LSAT but I'm trying to incorporate it into my study routine now. I think my least favorite part is just waiting and being anxious to know what I got but the blind review helped because I corrected three wrong answers I had and didn't change any right ones!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:47 pm

grantb134 wrote:Just did my first blind review today. Did not do when I was studying for my first LSAT but I'm trying to incorporate it into my study routine now. I think my least favorite part is just waiting and being anxious to know what I got but the blind review helped because I corrected three wrong answers I had and didn't change any right ones!
I need to do this too. I never have. Was always too tired and anxious to know my score.

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 pm

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:53 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:56 am

zacboro wrote:This post is mainly for BP Ben, but anyone can feel free to answer. How do I drill RC passages?
Yesterday was my first go at drilling RC, but I just went through them untimed and then reviewed after every 4 passages. Review included breaking down the passage's structure and going over the questions again with that breakdown in hand. You start to notice patterns after a little bit, and I've only scratched the surface of RC drilling.
Last edited by The Abyss on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheesy145

New

Post by cheesy145 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 am

Rigo wrote:
grantb134 wrote:Just did my first blind review today. Did not do when I was studying for my first LSAT but I'm trying to incorporate it into my study routine now. I think my least favorite part is just waiting and being anxious to know what I got but the blind review helped because I corrected three wrong answers I had and didn't change any right ones!
I need to do this too. I never have. Was always too tired and anxious to know my score.
Yea I took the test one day and BRed the next as to not burn out. It didn't help with anxiousness though

JackelJ

Silver

Post by JackelJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:11 am

The Abyss wrote:
zacboro wrote:This post is mainly for BP Ben, but anyone can feel free to answer. How do I drill RC passages?
Yesterday was my first go at drilling RC, but I just went through them untimed and then reviewed after every 4 passages. Review included breaking down the passage's structure and going over the questions again with that breakdown in hand. You start to notice patterns after a little bit, and I've only scratch the surface of RC drilling.
This is what I do. I'm a slow reader and have always had trouble with timing so I'm going to find one lucky person to time me as I drill a few passages and note how long I spend reading the passage and answering questions (im going to bake them cake in return). Hopefully that'll give me an idea of where should get faster.

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:12 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”