LSAT Blog can't sell PDFs after March 23 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

LSAT Blog can't sell PDFs after March 23

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:43 pm

http://lsatblog.blogspot.ca/2015/03/lsa ... sales.html

I'm baffled by their security requirements. No organization that sells to consumers could possibly meet those.

Smallville

Gold

Re: LSAT Blog can't sell PDFs after March 23

Post by Smallville » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:00 pm

LSAT Hacks (Graeme) wrote:http://lsatblog.blogspot.ca/2015/03/lsa ... sales.html

I'm baffled by their security requirements. No organization that sells to consumers could possibly meet those.
Curious as to what will happen to online prep companies like 7sage and Velocity

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm inclined to believe this is not going to prevent the pirating of PDFs.

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Gluteus wrote:I'm inclined to believe this is not going to prevent the pirating of PDFs.
theres a good chance, I wouldn't be surprised if it increased it really... I'm sure there are plenty of people that buy it since a single PT isn't too much but now with this kind of stuff I almost expect them to pop up... but prep companies can't really use pirating so they're still in a pickle

lollsat

New

Post by lollsat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:26 pm

So does this mean I can no longer easily and conveniently purchase $$ PTs in pdf form from official sources? Ahoy! Maties! Permission to come aboard! To the bay we go! :twisted: :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:43 pm

assuming this affects the sales not just of PTs but also drilling books and strategy guides sold in pdf format?

this is just going to increase piracy
it only takes one person to scan a hard copy of a PT and upload it to a torrent site
what does lsac think students in 2015 are going to do? order books over amazon, wait a week for them to come in, and then scan the pages so they can print multiples for drilling? or search for "lsat pts" and click "download"

even if they can figure out the drm, it's going to cause compatibility issues and make the pdfs far less useful

lollsat

New

Post by lollsat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Brut wrote:assuming this affects the sales not just of PTs but also drilling books and strategy guides sold in pdf format?

it only takes one person to scan a hard copy of a PT and upload it to a torrent site
what does lsac think students in 2015 are going to do? order books over amazon, wait a week for them to come in, and then scan the pages so they can print multiples for drilling? or search for "lsat pts" and click "download"

even if they can figure out the drm, it's going to cause compatibility issues and make the pdfs far less useful
Exactly. Heck, I already bought all the PT pdfs up until December 2014, they're all just sitting in a folder on my desktop. I don't see why someone especially in a foreign country where it might not be easy to obtain the books and where copyright law is not really enforced (i.e. China), wouldn't simply just upload/share it to the internet with the click of a button. After they're uploaded good lucky trying to make them disappear.

Note: Not that I condone such behavior, but really..... :wink:

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 am

Well that sucks, I have the face of gluteus. I was gonna buy a few preptests in the 40's at the beginning of April, but I guess those plans have changed.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 am

Real talk tho, if this affects the sale of prep books, I feel bad for those like Mike who devoted a significant amount of time and resources into their prep materials.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:39 pm

SweetTort wrote:Real talk tho, if this affects the sale of prep books, I feel bad for those like Mike who devoted a significant amount of time and resources into their prep materials.
No issue with printed prep books, or anything on kindle, ibooks etc. At least I can't imagine there would be with Kindle, LSAC sells their stuff on Kindle. (Do NOT buy PTs on Kindle, horrible format. It's like throwing them away)

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:51 pm

lollsat wrote:
Brut wrote:assuming this affects the sales not just of PTs but also drilling books and strategy guides sold in pdf format?

Exactly. Heck, I already bought all the PT pdfs up until December 2014, they're all just sitting in a folder on my desktop. I don't see why someone especially in a foreign country where it might not be easy to obtain the books and where copyright law is not really enforced (i.e. China), wouldn't simply just upload/share it to the internet with the click of a button. After they're uploaded good lucky trying to make them disappear.

Note: Not that I condone such behavior, but really..... :wink:
This sounds eerily familiar to an LSAT RC passage.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:07 pm

obvious money-grab move is obvious

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”