Logic Games Rut Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ChinaCat

New

Logic Games Rut

Post by ChinaCat » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:27 pm

I studied for the LSAT for the first time a few years ago but ended up deciding not to take it because after months of studying I could not consistently perform well on the logic games section. Depending on the difficulty of the games section, my score on PT LG sections could be anywhere from -0 to -11. I did consistently well on LR and RC (between 0 and 2 wrong total on the 2 LR sections and 0 to 2 wrong on RC). I would score anywhere between 169 and 178, depending mostly on the difficulty of the games section.

I'm currently studying for the June 2015 LSAT. I have been studying for about a month and have gotten stuck in the same place I was a few years ago. On my most recent PT I got -11 on the LG section. On the PT before that I got -1 on the games. I'm doing well on the other two sections. I just finished the Power Score LG Bible and I have been using the 7Sage LG explanation videos. I spend most of my study time working on individual games and then going over them.

I have been considering buying the 7Sage basic course. I know they are well regarded here, but I'm wondering if the course would be worth it in my situation. If I buy the course my plan is to use it almost exclusively for the logic games portion (in other words, I would skip over the other parts of the course). Any advice about whether the course would be worthwhile for me would be appreciated, as well as any other advice about how to improve my LG scores.

Edit: I have been doing the practice tests under realistic, timed conditions.

Ihasthedumb

New

Re: Logic Games Rut

Post by Ihasthedumb » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:55 pm

ChinaCat wrote:I studied for the LSAT for the first time a few years ago but ended up deciding not to take it because after months of studying I could not consistently perform well on the logic games section. Depending on the difficulty of the games section, my score on PT LG sections could be anywhere from -0 to -11. I did consistently well on LR and RC (between 0 and 2 wrong total on the 2 LR sections and 0 to 2 wrong on RC). I would score anywhere between 169 and 178, depending mostly on the difficulty of the games section.

I'm currently studying for the June 2015 LSAT. I have been studying for about a month and have gotten stuck in the same place I was a few years ago. On my most recent PT I got -11 on the LG section. On the PT before that I got -1 on the games. I'm doing well on the other two sections. I just finished the Power Score LG Bible and I have been using the 7Sage LG explanation videos. I spend most of my study time working on individual games and then going over them.

I have been considering buying the 7Sage basic course. I know they are well regarded here, but I'm wondering if the course would be worth it in my situation. If I buy the course my plan is to use it almost exclusively for the logic games portion (in other words, I would skip over the other parts of the course). Any advice about whether the course would be worthwhile for me would be appreciated, as well as any other advice about how to improve my LG scores.

What books are you using to study? I think you should start by first being able to figure out what the game type is. Then move on to diagraming the rules and then the game itself. Also find out what game types you struggle with eg. Sequencing, grouping, sequencing and grouping combo, etc.

You should post this in the June 2015 study group. It is a very active group.

ChinaCat

New

Post by ChinaCat » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Ihasthedumb wrote:
ChinaCat wrote:I studied for the LSAT for the first time a few years ago but ended up deciding not to take it because after months of studying I could not consistently perform well on the logic games section. Depending on the difficulty of the games section, my score on PT LG sections could be anywhere from -0 to -11. I did consistently well on LR and RC (between 0 and 2 wrong total on the 2 LR sections and 0 to 2 wrong on RC). I would score anywhere between 169 and 178, depending mostly on the difficulty of the games section.

What books are you using to study? I think you should start by first being able to figure out what the game type is. Then move on to diagraming the rules and then the game itself. Also find out what game types you struggle with eg. Sequencing, grouping, sequencing and grouping combo, etc.

I have been using the Power Score Logic Games Bible. I have no problem identifying the game types or diagramming the rules. There doesn't seem to be one game type that I struggle with, it's just the more difficult games of any type that I struggle with. Thanks for the tip.

jwelsh

New

Post by jwelsh » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:17 pm

ChinaCat wrote:
Ihasthedumb wrote:

I have been using the Power Score Logic Games Bible. I have no problem identifying the game types or diagramming the rules. There doesn't seem to be one game type that I struggle with, it's just the more difficult games of any type that I struggle with. Thanks for the tip.
How are you at picking up inferences? What about recognizing the rules/inferences that are most likely to be important for possible questions?

ChinaCat

New

Post by ChinaCat » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:22 pm

jwelsh wrote:
ChinaCat wrote:
Ihasthedumb wrote:

How are you at picking up inferences? What about recognizing the rules/inferences that are most likely to be important for possible questions?
Those seem to be my two major problems. I get all the obvious inferences, and I'm hit-or-miss with the more difficult inferences. I'm also hit-or-miss with recognizing which rules and inferences will be important for any given question. Sometimes I can read a question and know the answer before looking at the choices, or at least know what to look for, other times I struggle and have to test out all the answers for questions that shouldn't require that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ironchild

New

Post by ironchild » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Wish we could mutually complementary! My LR and RC parts are quite lousy…
Highly recommend 7sage's, very helpful

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Since you talked about 7sage I'm assuming you know about there "how to do logic games perfect" video but just in case you have not I'll provide a link for you. Make sure you follow this strictly. Also, here is a post that helped me understand logic games better, and there is one particular post that takes it step-by-step by Bp Shinner. (You'll know which post I'm talking about when you look down the thread, it's long)

http://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-s ... ogic-games

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=216416

ChinaCat

New

Post by ChinaCat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:03 pm

ltowns1 wrote:

Since you talked about 7sage I'm assuming you know about there "how to do logic games perfect" video but just in case you have not I'll provide a link for you. Make sure you follow this strictly. Also, here is a post that helped me understand logic games better, and there is one particular post that takes it step-by-step by Bp Shinner. (You'll know which post I'm talking about when you look down the thread, it's long)

http://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-s ... ogic-games

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=216416

Thanks, I'll have a look right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”