Importance of a prep course

boaltlaw

Importance of a prep course

Postby boaltlaw » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:53 am

After taking advice from TLS, I decided to buy PS LR/LG, manhattan trio, lsat trainer, superprep and recent tests, along with planning to buy the cambridge packets

While I was initially thinking of taking a prep course, I decided against it.

My mom and family member (who is a lawyer and went to a t-14 a couple decades ago) said I was silly for not taking a prep course and that I need to take one because I need "every advantage I can get" and "have someone help me crack the test"

Even though I am an adult and was pretty sure about my plan, it bothered me when my mother berated me and told me that I would be throwing away my (4.0+) lsac gpa and not get into a good school.

I'm not necessarily looking for reassurance that I am correct, but I would like to hear what TLS has to say about the importance of a prep course. I thought I didn't need one, but perhaps I was wrong.

Thoughts?

js1663

Re: Importance of a prep course

Postby js1663 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:03 am

boaltlaw wrote:After taking advice from TLS, I decided to buy PS LR/LG, manhattan trio, lsat trainer, superprep and recent tests, along with planning to buy the cambridge packets

While I was initially thinking of taking a prep course, I decided against it.

My mom and family member (who is a lawyer and went to a t-14 a couple decades ago) said I was silly for not taking a prep course and that I need to take one because I need "every advantage I can get" and "have someone help me crack the test"

Even though I am an adult and was pretty sure about my plan, it bothered me when my mother berated me and told me that I would be throwing away my (4.0+) lsac gpa and not get into a good school.

I'm not necessarily looking for reassurance that I am correct, but I would like to hear what TLS has to say about the importance of a prep course. I thought I didn't need one, but perhaps I was wrong.

Thoughts?

You definitely don't need a course and could save a lot of money on it. What you do need regardless is actual prep tests, which you bought/plan on buying, along with other resources, of which the books you have bought are quite useful as well... With that in mind there are ton of resources, including in the various sticky'd threads in this forum, that can guide you through self-study and how to go about it. Using that tons of people have gotten in the 170s, and having taken a class myself, the biggest thing preptests provide is a regimen and a resource to answer your questions (which you have TLS and online sites like 7sage doing the same).

So no, you don't need a prep course, yes you will be wasting your GPA if you don't score well on the LSAT, but no, not taking a prep course does not mean you cannot do well on the LSAT... though realistically with a 4.0+ GPA you should be targeting a 170+ LSAT, which would give you great odds at every school and almost guaranteed odds at Harvard or a full ride at other T14 schools.

boaltlaw

Postby boaltlaw » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 am

js1663 wrote:
You definitely don't need a course and could save a lot of money on it. What you do need regardless is actual prep tests, which you bought/plan on buying, along with other resources, of which the books you have bought are quite useful as well... With that in mind there are ton of resources, including in the various sticky'd threads in this forum, that can guide you through self-study and how to go about it. Using that tons of people have gotten in the 170s, and having taken a class myself, the biggest thing preptests provide is a regimen and a resource to answer your questions (which you have TLS and online sites like 7sage doing the same).

So no, you don't need a prep course, yes you will be wasting your GPA if you don't score well on the LSAT, but no, not taking a prep course does not mean you cannot do well on the LSAT... though realistically with a 4.0+ GPA you should be targeting a 170+ LSAT, which would give you great odds at every school and almost guaranteed odds at Harvard or a full ride at other T14 schools.

Yeah that's the main concern, doing well on the lsat. As far as money goes, I am not really concerned. Law school is a much bigger financial and time investment than a prep course, so ~$1000 isn't really the deal breaker to me, I just thought I would be able to do better without one, though of course I am open to advice

js1663

Postby js1663 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:12 am

boaltlaw wrote:
js1663 wrote:

Yeah that's the main concern, doing well on the lsat. As far as money goes, I am not really concerned. Law school is a much bigger financial and time investment than a prep course, so ~$1000 isn't really the deal breaker to me, I just thought I would be able to do better without one, though of course I am open to advice

I think it's up to the individual. For myself I took a prep course but that's because I feel like I needed the discipline it provides, and as a result I think it helped me immensely. But there's no question it's not necessary and there are tons of people here who have utilized the resources available online along with the cambridge packets and prep tests, along with powerscore/manhattan/LSAT trainer to perform amazingly on test day. Someone else here can link to the best guides on TLS but if you google site:top-law-schools.com study guides or self study guides or something like that you should get a ton of hits which will be incredibly helpful. Either way though it's most definitely doable and up to how you feel you'd learn best - don't let others convince you it's a one size fits all, because it isn't.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:36 am

Have you taken a practice test yet to get an idea of your baseline starting point?

Good Prep classes with a good experienced teacher can be very helpful. As said, they're not essential, but if $$ isn't an issue a good class helps you put together your foundation a lot easier than doing it unguided by yourself with a stack of books. The structure and live presentation of everything plus interaction with the teacher is a lot of what you're paying for and makes the learning the fundamentals part of LSAT prep a lot more pleasant if you learn better in classroom environments and/or think self discipline might be a problem if you do self-study.

If you take a good class with a good teacher, it will help not hurt as long as you put in the work. Good reputable class with a solid instructor is key though, there are a lot of crappy live prep classes so you'd have to do some research about your area.

If you're self disciplined and find yourself making fast solid progress with the resources you've collected, then a prep course could be too slow for you and not worth it.

It all really depends on you and how you learn best. Take a practice test and dive into the books to see how things go and then go from there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”