Why do people on TLS have higher numbers?

PDaddy

Re: Why do people on TLS have higher numbers?

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:56 am

Rstein888 wrote:All I'm saying is nothing wrong going to a top 50 school if you feel like you can graduate in the top 25% of your class and are not paying out the ass.

ETA: of course, everybody probably feels like they can graduate top 25%

This!

There's a saying: almost 100% of law school applicants believe they will be in the top-10% of their class, and almost 90% of them are guaranteed to be wrong/disappointed.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:07 pm

I think we shouldn't also forget the factor that TLS itself plays in scoring higher. I think it's like a cycle. Yes the reasons that others have said are true, but also it is TLS! There are so many wise people to take council from up here, you really can't help but to improve. The site itself is a resource that others simply don't have.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:14 pm

ltowns1 wrote:I think we shouldn't also forget the factor that TLS itself plays in scoring higher. I think it's like a cycle. Yes the reasons that others have said are true, but also it is TLS! There are so many wise people to take council from up here, you really can't help but to improve. The site itself is a resource that others simply don't have.

Isn't TLS a resource that virtually 100% of domestic US university students would have access to? This is usually one of the first sites that pops up on google when you search for just about any basic law school question, so it's not really a difficult resource to come across or a secret. Just about any prospective law student who is doing their due diligence should come across this site on their own. I actually wonder what percentage of students at top law schools actually used this site to get some of their questions answered during the application process, I'd imagine it would be a fairly high percentage.

Dafaq

Postby Dafaq » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:30 pm

Rstein888 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this but why do people on TLS have so much better numbers on average than the typical law school applicant? Even numbers most people would consider great, like in the 163-166 range are considered low here. Is it just that TLS applicants tend to be more serious (since they are taking the time to post online about law school) than average?

Good question. After a year best I can tell is that more people from higher ranked schools post — higher ranked parallels higher scores. I do not understand why students attending lower rated schools tend not to post. There are schools in TX that I never/rarely have seen on tls.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Dafaq wrote:
Rstein888 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this but why do people on TLS have so much better numbers on average than the typical law school applicant? Even numbers most people would consider great, like in the 163-166 range are considered low here. Is it just that TLS applicants tend to be more serious (since they are taking the time to post online about law school) than average?

Good question. After a year best I can tell is that more people from higher ranked schools post — higher ranked parallels higher scores. I do not understand why students attending lower rated schools tend not to post. There are schools in TX that I never/rarely have seen on tls.

I mean, the site is called top-law-schools. Low 160s generally aren't getting you into a top law school. I don't understand why self-selection is a confusing concept.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Dafaq wrote:

Well, when anyone asking questions about attending your school gets told to retake or not go to law school at all, you might find this site less than welcoming.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:48 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:I think we shouldn't also forget the factor that TLS itself plays in scoring higher. I think it's like a cycle. Yes the reasons that others have said are true, but also it is TLS! There are so many wise people to take council from up here, you really can't help but to improve. The site itself is a resource that others simply don't have.

Isn't TLS a resource that virtually 100% of domestic US university students would have access to? This is usually one of the first sites that pops up on google when you search for just about any basic law school question, so it's not really a difficult resource to come across or a secret. Just about any prospective law student who is doing their due diligence should come across this site on their own. I actually wonder what percentage of students at top law schools actually used this site to get some of their questions answered during the application process, I'd imagine it would be a fairly high percentage.

What I meant by those who simply don't have the resource is those that don't do what you pointed out, they don't use it.

TheWalkingDebt

Postby TheWalkingDebt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Just think about who an average person and what their thought process is. Most people just do things with no foresight or hindsight. Their thought process is "I want this, I do this" and nothing else. The biggest secret in the world you find out as you get older is that most people are just winging it and have no idea what they are doing.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:44 pm

TheWalkingDebt wrote:Just think about who an average person and what their thought process is. Most people just do things with no foresight or hindsight. Their thought process is "I want this, I do this" and nothing else. The biggest secret in the world you find out as you get older is that most people are just winging it and have no idea what they are doing.

+1

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:46 pm

probably because this is top law schools dot com

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”