Worried about LSAT progress

biggestsplitternw

Worried about LSAT progress

Postby biggestsplitternw » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:58 am

Hey guys,

So on my first diagnostic test, I scored a 159. I took the blueprint course a few months ago (winter session), and also bought The LSAT Trainer. I did a ton of prep tests leading up to the February LSAT.

In the older tests, I was able to score b/w the 165-171 range pretty consistently. I took a few newer ones and scored around 163-168. So I thought I was pretty well prepared going into the test.

After seeing my results, I see I got a 159 for the Feb LSAT.

Anyone else have similar stories or results?

I'm going to take the June LSAT and plan on dedicating a chunk of each day for it. Any tips for those that are retaking the test? What's the best use of my time now?

Thanks for any advice given in advance.

Hikikomorist

Re: Worried about LSAT progress

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:24 am

I took the ten oldest tests available, and then two of the newest ones. It seemed like they made RC more challenging, while making LG more predictable - presumably easier for people who really focused their study efforts. I didn't notice a difference in LR.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:45 am

There really shouldn't be such a difference between the two, IMO. My scores were the same whether I was taking PT 30 or PT 74. How many PTs did you take and when? Did you alternate old and new throughout your studies? Basically, is the variation due to some other factor?

And why do you think you did poorly in February? Was there one section that gave you particular trouble? Did you sleep poorly the night before? Are you generally an anxious person?

I dropped 5 points from my average when I took the September test, though it a fluke, but then did the exact some with the February, and I'm beginning to think that this lapse is more common than we'd all like to believe. Some of us just don't test well.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:23 am

sfoglia wrote:I dropped 5 points from my average when I took the September test, though it a fluke, but then did the exact some with the February, and I'm beginning to think that this lapse is more common than we'd all like to believe. Some of us just don't test well.

Could be. Could also just be a small sample size at work, and next test you'll score 5 points above your avg (assuming you're not scoring a 176 avg).

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 am

Gameday stress increase is real. But if you have a 20ish PT sample to take an average of, you should only accept a 1-3 pt drop tops.

Lots of times stamina is an issue, so here's a small LSAT tip that I like to point out: do double PTs. 8 section monsters. Take a 30 min break between them but otherwise do them straight up and realize serious stamina gainz. Zoning out or getting tired on section 5 of game day hurt my score the first time. I wish I had done more double PTs because the 4 section ones don't replicate the real 5 section test with lots of delays. Even 6 section PTs would be better, 4 is just too short.

Also, I was guilty of speeding thru my review. Reviewing WHY you got questions wrong is just as important as doing PTs in the first place. Save a list of all the ones you got wrong and come back to them after you've had enough time to forget the basics of the questions. This also helps you avoid urning thru all your material too fast. Don't just waste a PT by not reviewing it, especially if you did a double one like I suggested above. Focus on the review and reasoning behind the questions, and you'll have more consistent scores in either setting (practice or real test).

good luck!

BearsintheRafters

Postby BearsintheRafters » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:43 am

The test definitely changes over time. Reading Comp. became much harder in the mid 2000's. Around the same time, I noticed that the Logical Reasoning questions were different; not necessarily harder, but not the same type of questions as before. If you didn't look at the most recent tests before test day, I could see how some of the questions would take you by surprise. That, combined with a "worst-case scenario" test day, might account for the drop.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:58 pm

msp8 wrote:
sfoglia wrote:I dropped 5 points from my average when I took the September test, though it a fluke, but then did the exact some with the February, and I'm beginning to think that this lapse is more common than we'd all like to believe. Some of us just don't test well.

Could be. Could also just be a small sample size at work, and next test you'll score 5 points above your avg (assuming you're not scoring a 176 avg).

That would be nice. But, definitely test-day anxiety for me. I have never performed at, let alone above, expectation on a standardized test (taken four, including the two LSATs). But I could be a more pronounced case.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Sorry to hear that then!

jam313

Postby jam313 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:08 pm

biggestsplitternw wrote:Hey guys,

So on my first diagnostic test, I scored a 159. I took the blueprint course a few months ago (winter session), and also bought The LSAT Trainer. I did a ton of prep tests leading up to the February LSAT.

In the older tests, I was able to score b/w the 165-171 range pretty consistently. I took a few newer ones and scored around 163-168. So I thought I was pretty well prepared going into the test.

After seeing my results, I see I got a 159 for the Feb LSAT.

Anyone else have similar stories or results?

I'm going to take the June LSAT and plan on dedicating a chunk of each day for it. Any tips for those that are retaking the test? What's the best use of my time now?

Thanks for any advice given in advance.

Is it possible your PT testing environment is far from the real thing? Are these scores strictly timed/proctored?

Also, your ranges are a bit wild...163-171. Where is your variance? Perhaps you need to drill, drill, drill.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”