Preparing for the June 2016 LSAT

Jetlife

Preparing for the June 2016 LSAT

Postby Jetlife » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Hey guys, I'm a current sophomore with aspirations of going to law school. Since around the beginning of this semester, I've been starting to think a lot about the law school application process. I've done some research, and have come to the conclusion that I will only go to law school if I get accepted into a top 20 law school. At the top of my list are Columbia/NYU and Cornell. My goal after law school is big law. Going into this semester, I have a lower 3.7ish GPA, with the potential of raising that to the mid 3.8s by the end of spring semester of junior year as long as I remain consistent this semester and diligent the following two semesters. I understand that that will put my GPA in a good spot for the top three law schools that I have in mind, so what I'm starting to turn my attention to is the LSAT.

I understand that I'm over a year out from my target LSAT date, which I imagine is much longer than most test-takers spend to prepare. However, I want to ensure that I get as much possible studying in as possible to reach my maximum potential. After reading blogs, articles, and forum posts on the internet, the idea that I got was that most people study around 3-4 months, with some studying longer. I came across one blog by a guy who stated he got a 180, explaining that if your GPA is generally weighed less than the LSAT despite it representing 3-4 years of your undergraduate studies, you'd be stupid not to dedicate at least a year to the LSAT. This leads me to a few questions I have for you guys out here:

1. Has anyone here started prepping for the LSAT a year or more in advance?

2. How did it go? Did you achieve your target score?

3. Would you do anything differently?

From what I've gathered, it seems like the LSAT is more of a learnable test, in comparison to other standardized tests like the ACT/SAT, which I view as more of a measure of how well you stacked the building blocks up until high school. I've also already taken the logic course provided at my University and got a 106% in the class due to curves on the exams.

4. Is there anyone who feels that they studied as much as possible, but finished with an end score that they did not view as satisfactory?

5. Would it be worth it to plan out a studying schedule even though I'm over a year out from the test?

I've already ordered the three bibles and the LSAT Superprep book, which I plan on starting with.

6. Should I study each bible one at a time, or should I read a few chapters of each and rotate through the three books?

I plan on buying the practice test packets later on. However,

7. For the earlier practice tests, for example, 1-38, would it be better to buy prep books dedicated to each specific subsection, or should I buy the test bundles for those?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Jetlife on Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Preparing for the June 2016 LSAT

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:37 pm

You should finish school with as strong of a GPA as you can. Focus on your UG first. You only get one UG try. You have three for the LSAT. Also, consider working for a year or two after UG. Work experience is a plus both in admissions and in OCI. You will have time to dedicate to the LSAT while you are working.

MattM

Postby MattM » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:37 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:You should finish school with as strong of a GPA as you can. Focus on your UG first. You only get one UG try. You have three for the LSAT. Also, consider working for a year or two after UG. Work experience is a plus both in admissions and in OCI. You will have time to dedicate to the LSAT while you are working.

To further his point, you actually get unlimited tries on the LSAT ( 3 times in a 2 year span are the rules).....I wasn't saying that to be "that guy" making that distinction,....but to show your priority should be on the one aspect of your app that can't be changed when you cross the graduation stage,,,instead of the one piece that can be taken an unlimited amount of times and schools really only care about the highest attempt

I would also say as a Sophomore it is way too early to be concerned with the LSAT, you should protect that 3.7 GPA and improve it if possible......you don't want to tank your GPA studying for the LSAT .......maybe as a Senior when your GPA is more or less fixed then I would study for the LSAT

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Bro, I was just like you so let me give you some advice. You do not need to start studying yet. Unless you're a moron and not cut out for a T14 anyway, you can get a good LSAT score in 6 months of disciplined studying. The average person studies for 3 months and isn't that disciplined about it. You definitely do not need 15 months.

What you should do is print out the free June 2007 test from the LSAC website and take it under the correct time constraints. That will be your diagnostic test and tell you what level you're starting at.

If you get 160 or above, do not even think about the LSAT before December 2015. If you get below that, you might want to do a little prep in the fall, but probably not.

I also had an elaborate longterm study plan and for many months I procrastinated and felt awful about it. I was constantly anxious and worried that I wouldn't get a good score. Then when I finally started studying I very quickly broke into the 170s (after about a month of on/off prep), so all that stress and worry was for nothing.

If you want, you could actually study for June 2015 and join us in the June study thread, but do not even think about June 2016. It would be a waste of time and probably subject you to unnecessary stress.

Also note that there's a certain selection bias in people who write 180 guides. They are often rather unusual people so their experiences are not necessarily representative and their advice not necessarily helpful.

Blueprint Ben

Postby Blueprint Ben » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:01 pm

I agree that your coursework should be your main focus right now. And you should consider taking at least a year or two off in between undergrad and law school. It will make you more competitive as an applicant, and the added maturity you'll have in your mid-20s will likely make you more successful in law school and in your job search.

I disagree with the poster above that you're giving yourself too much time to study for the LSAT. I spent about 15 months prepping, and I benefited from every second of it. I might have been able to condense it if I knew what I know now, but I was much better off giving myself as much time as possible to achieve my goals. The LSAT is completely learnable. I can attest that with the right amount of time and dedication, 180 is your only ceiling.

If you're set on June 2016, take a full length, timed practice LSAT as soon as possible. If you score relatively close to your target, then you can probably wait until the fall to start studying. But there's really no such thing as too much time to study for the LSAT. The longer you prep, the more likely it is that you'll be able to make serious gains.

jthach

Postby jthach » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:41 pm

I agree that it doesn't hurt to start now. It can only benefit you; but it depends on the degree of studying that you put into it. I don't think you should be going all out, but rather start pacing yourself and you can focus more on the weekends or available time to take a few early stabs at it, doing your first practice test(s). This can be a bi-weekly thing. I'd advise to not do more than 1 or 2 practice tests to save the material for a future date. Bibles are OK, as well as other prep books, imo.

I'm actually one of those who studying for 2+ years due to work, school and other obligations. I think it benefited my style, which is that I needed to be very comfortable with this test and I enjoyed having the extra time to slowly dissect the test from beginning to end and not have to feel the pressure of having a limited timetable with an approaching test date. Some people can study for 3 months, others even less, to get a 170+. Some would say that's the norm. You should do what you think is most comfortable for you.

Jetlife

Postby Jetlife » Mon May 11, 2015 11:05 pm

So I ended up taking a diagnostic test, and scored a 160 which I am fairly happy with overall. I got completely destroyed by the Logic Games section, but I expected that going into the test given that I hadn't learned any diagramming techniques yet. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that I only got -1 on one of the Logical Reasoning sections though (Preptest A of the SuperPrep). Something that was a little concerning was that my performance on the reading comprehension section seemed very dependent on how interested I was with the passage.

I decided to focus on my University classes, and didn't do much studying up until now but I pulled off a 4.0 this semester which is nice. I'm going to start reading the bibles now that I am on summer break.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Mon May 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Gotta love the irrelevant and self-congratulatory "i got a ripped body, brah" drop. Not an indictment of you personally, just came across as douchy. I would focus on having a blast in undergrad. The LSAT will be there in due time.

Jetlife

Postby Jetlife » Mon May 11, 2015 11:20 pm

BasilHallward wrote:Gotta love the irrelevant and self-congratulatory "i got a ripped body, brah" drop. Not an indictment of you personally, just came across as douchy. I would focus on having a blast in undergrad. The LSAT will be there in due time.
Last edited by Jetlife on Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Mon May 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Jetlife wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:Gotta love the irrelevant and self-congratulatory "i got a ripped body, brah" drop. Not an indictment of you personally, just came across as douchy. I would focus on having a blast in undergrad. The LSAT will be there in due time.

Sorry, I just feel that it shows that I can stay dedicated to something like nutrition. My kinesiology professor hooked me up with a free under water weighing body composition test 2 weeks ago, and I clocked in at 7% body fat. I don't think you realize how much will power it takes to constantly turn down free food or going to get food with friends due to the nutritional value.

You just dropped another meaningless anecdote haha. Lots of endeavors take will power; how difficult it is depends on the person. If one has dedicated oneself to the task, then cool. My point is that it has very little relevance to a standardized test. Staying dedicated to chemical engineering degree with an aerospace minor takes will too (not my major), but is verbose when speaking about the LSAT.

imDEREK

Postby imDEREK » Wed May 13, 2015 2:10 pm

If I were you I'd make sure I was graduating with a marketable major. I saw on a recent poll that as many as 30 percent of TLS posters are political science majors like myself. Depending on when you graduated---I graduated in 2010---you may or may not have found a job, but any employment you secured may not have been based on your very useful political science degree.

If you have time to graduate with something unique you'll be able to specialize, making yourself a much more desirable candidate down the line.
What kind of law are you interested in, and what hard science would give you the best understanding of it.

mysojuli

Postby mysojuli » Wed May 13, 2015 5:48 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Bro, I was just like you so let me give you some advice. You do not need to start studying yet. Unless you're a moron and not cut out for a T14 anyway, you can get a good LSAT score in 6 months of disciplined studying. The average person studies for 3 months and isn't that disciplined about it. You definitely do not need 15 months.

What you should do is print out the free June 2007 test from the LSAC website and take it under the correct time constraints. That will be your diagnostic test and tell you what level you're starting at.

If you get 160 or above, do not even think about the LSAT before December 2015. If you get below that, you might want to do a little prep in the fall, but probably not.

I also had an elaborate longterm study plan and for many months I procrastinated and felt awful about it. I was constantly anxious and worried that I wouldn't get a good score. Then when I finally started studying I very quickly broke into the 170s (after about a month of on/off prep), so all that stress and worry was for nothing.

If you want, you could actually study for June 2015 and join us in the June study thread, but do not even think about June 2016. It would be a waste of time and probably subject you to unnecessary stress.

Also note that there's a certain selection bias in people who write 180 guides. They are often rather unusual people so their experiences are not necessarily representative and their advice not necessarily helpful.

Just wanted to say ^^^follow his advice! He actually started the June 2015 thread. So just like you he was thinking wayyy ahead.

Also want to add... Studying for the LSAT is NOT fun. Go out on a date, Go swimming, go ENJOY summer and life. Once LSAT studying starts getting serious you may not have the freedom to enjoy your time~

TexAg95

Postby TexAg95 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:21 pm

Checking into this. Like you, I spent this past semester pulling for that 4.0 and put the LSAT aside. I am beginning the grind now though, and am pumped to find other people to prepare and study with.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”