Reading Comprehension Techniques

AReasonableMan

Reading Comprehension Techniques

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:59 am

A thread to discuss strategies and techniques on the RC section. Go.

ltowns1

Re: Reading Comprehension Techniques

Postby ltowns1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:00 pm

One thing I've tried to do is not make it so complicated. I try to do at least two things when looking at an RC passage. First, understand the main conclusion. Second, summarize each paragraph. I find that if you have an adequate understanding of each paragraph, and you know where to look for the important information, which is what summarizing each paragraph is for, that alone gets you a lot of points.it gets me 19/20 questions correct. Now I'm also starting to notice that questions asking for specific lines, or "all of the following are mentioned in the passage except" questions are accounting pretty consistently for the last seven to eight points that I get wrong. I think that perfecting the skill of underlining the important information will help to push these last few errors out of the way. If I can give one bit of advice to anyone doing RC it would be to pay attention to the main conclusion. Because the main conclusion encompasses what the author will talk about in the passage, it automatically allows you to see the other elements of the passage, and how their positions agrees/disagrees with the main conclusion. I think as you get better you start to remember the main conclusion more, and those who are for and against the authors position, and also the evidence they use to do so.
Last edited by ltowns1 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:03 pm

do 500 PT's and pray

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:07 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:do 500 PT's and pray

That too lol

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”