The Official October 2015 Study Group

How many PTs have you done? (timed)

0+
5
4%
5+
12
10%
10+
25
21%
15+
14
12%
20+
20
17%
25+
9
7%
30+
3
2%
35+
33
27%
 
Total votes: 121

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Superprep C has a very generous curve. Scored a 168. LG rocked me (completely guessed on last game).

LG: -7 :shock:
LR1: -3
LR2: -3
RC: -4

Games didn't seem very difficult, but the 3rd game took me forever. I must have missed an inference that would have made the game go much quicker.

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Drilling LR has been good today. Understanding right answers and wrong answers...I'm just waiting for my brain to shut down but it hasn't yet!!! Lol :D :D :D :mrgreen:

calmike
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby calmike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:56 pm

I am taking 23 PTs from now until October 3. Is this doable?

I will be taking 2 PTs every week. Blind Review and Review. Do drills at same time.

User avatar
MrBalloons
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby MrBalloons » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:27 pm

calmike wrote:I am taking 23 PTs from now until October 3. Is this doable?

I will be taking 2 PTs every week. Blind Review and Review. Do drills at same time.

Totally doable. I think you'll find plenty of people doing that and more around here.

User avatar
texasellewoods
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby texasellewoods » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:47 pm

calmike wrote:I am taking 23 PTs from now until October 3. Is this doable?

I will be taking 2 PTs every week. Blind Review and Review. Do drills at same time.


Retaker here - I took 20 PTs in preparation for the June LSAT spread out over ~2 months and found it to be very manageable. Drilling alongside it shouldn't be too difficult, since that doesn't require huge blocks of time like PTs. If this is your first time taking the LSAT, I recommend the Bibles just so you have a good understanding of the basics of each section. The LG Bible helped me a ton, I went from -8/9 on those first diagnostics to -0 on test day with full confidence in my answers/strategies.
This time around I want to try to remove the uncertainty when picking between LR answers, so I'm focusing on drilling LR for the next four weeks, taking a week off, and then taking 20 PTs between then and test day using the blind review method.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:45 pm

Did a PT today and sorta got 180.

PT 17
LG: -0
LR: -0
LR: -0
RC: -1

Caveats: took a 1-15 minute break between sections instead of doing them back to back, didn't use an experimental section, had seen one of the games before (but I struggled with it so I don't think that mattered much).

I'll have to put an asterisk next to this one in my log since mental fatigue might have cost me a couple points if I had done the sections back to back and included an experimental, but I'm very pleased with my performance nonetheless.

I think I'm in decent shape for 2.5 months out. My LR and RC skills are strong; I just need to practice them to make sure I live up to my potential on test day. LG can be hit or miss. With more formulaic games, I can glide through the section with minimal errors, but occasionally I'll get stuck on a question or even an entire game. I'm hoping that massive amounts of drilling will get me to -0. As for the test overall, I don't think I have much trouble with timing or mental fatigue, but I'll definitely work on these areas as well.

By the way, this had a passage on Dworkin and legal theory that I think someone else mentioned here... I found it difficult as well, especially with regard to structure.

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:58 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Did a PT today and sorta got 180.

PT 17
LG: -0
LR: -0
LR: -0
RC: -1

Caveats: took a 1-15 minute break between sections instead of doing them back to back, didn't use an experimental section, had seen one of the games before (but I struggled with it so I don't think that mattered much).

I'll have to put an asterisk next to this one in my log since mental fatigue might have cost me a couple points if I had done the sections back to back and included an experimental, but I'm very pleased with my performance nonetheless.

I think I'm in decent shape for 2.5 months out. My LR and RC skills are strong; I just need to practice them to make sure I live up to my potential on test day. LG can be hit or miss. With more formulaic games, I can glide through the section with minimal errors, but occasionally I'll get stuck on a question or even an entire game. I'm hoping that massive amounts of drilling will get me to -0. As for the test overall, I don't think I have much trouble with timing or mental fatigue, but I'll definitely work on these areas as well.

By the way, this had a passage on Dworkin and legal theory that I think someone else mentioned here... I found it difficult as well, especially with regard to structure.


Nice! Glad to see that your PT went better than mine today.

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:01 pm

I never want to see most of the games from 1-29 ever, ever again after this test

calmike
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby calmike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:43 pm

texasellewoods wrote:
calmike wrote:I am taking 23 PTs from now until October 3. Is this doable?

I will be taking 2 PTs every week. Blind Review and Review. Do drills at same time.


Retaker here - I took 20 PTs in preparation for the June LSAT spread out over ~2 months and found it to be very manageable. Drilling alongside it shouldn't be too difficult, since that doesn't require huge blocks of time like PTs. If this is your first time taking the LSAT, I recommend the Bibles just so you have a good understanding of the basics of each section. The LG Bible helped me a ton, I went from -8/9 on those first diagnostics to -0 on test day with full confidence in my answers/strategies.
This time around I want to try to remove the uncertainty when picking between LR answers, so I'm focusing on drilling LR for the next four weeks, taking a week off, and then taking 20 PTs between then and test day using the blind review method.



Thank you so much for the advice. I am currently reading all three Bibles and then drilling as well. I just want to get started on PTs before I run out of time haha.

bigv
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby bigv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:48 am

How long do you guys wait before redoing LR questions that you've missed?

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:39 am

Reviewing Superprep C today. I already went back over the LG section, got a -1 (because of a stupid oversight), and then went over the 7sage videos. I will probably try and redo this section in a week or so.

Tomorrow I'm doing PT 47. From here on out I'm going to do 2 PTs a week with Blind Review and continue drilling. I'll dial it back if it's too much, but I think it's pretty reasonable.

pittsburghpirates
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 am

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:31 am

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:41 am

With what has been said about the newer PTs being harder, I think I need to skip to the 40s while using the rest for drilling and experimentals. Today's plan is to do another Cambridge packet and maybe drill an LR if I have time. I also want to do a marathon RC day to work on endurance, but that will be another day.

ETA: And BRing hard questions from yesterday's PT.

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ltowns1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:44 am

RZ5646 wrote:With what has been said about the newer PTs being harder, I think I need to skip to the 40s while using the rest for drilling and experimentals. Today's plan is to do another Cambridge packet and maybe drill an LR if I have time. I also want to do a marathon RC day to work on endurance, but that will be another day.

ETA: And BRing hard questions from yesterday's PT.



I was wondering what to do about the 40s

User avatar
DoYouEvenTLS
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:49 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:56 am

My schedule calls for PT 43 today, but for some strange reason I feel the need to just drill 100% of the day instead.... Scores for PT 41 and 42 were horrid

Drilling:
Flaw, NA, SA, Weaken for LR
An assortment of games for LG
And an assortment of passages for RC

User avatar
ugg
Posts: 8957
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Post removed.

Postby ugg » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by ugg on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mamsiey
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby mamsiey » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Two months ago, i used to score -13 consistently on LG. Now it's way down to -3. Most misses are on questions I don't really understand and guess. It really gets better with drilling your soul away. Trying now to gun down -0. It's def possible!

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Post removed...

Postby somethingElse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Monkey D Luffy
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Monkey D Luffy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:58 pm

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:My schedule calls for PT 43 today, but for some strange reason I feel the need to just drill 100% of the day instead.... Scores for PT 41 and 42 were horrid

Drilling:
Flaw, NA, SA, Weaken for LR
An assortment of games for LG
And an assortment of passages for RC


Sounds good. I'm planning to take PT 41 this Saturday :(.

User avatar
davey jones
Posts: 6141
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Post removed.

Postby davey jones » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by davey jones on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Hey guys a mod switched the OP for us so we can have polls now. I put up the first one.

jeech
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby jeech » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Drilling LG today using 7sage method...going through sections in PT 30-34

User avatar
TheProdigal
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby TheProdigal » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:50 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Hey guys a mod switched the OP for us so we can have polls now. I put up the first one.

So we're condemned to another PW-less study thread?

User avatar
Monkey D Luffy
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Monkey D Luffy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:57 pm

TLS fam, where do you study? At home? Library? At a cafe?

User avatar
Zel
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:09 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Zel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Drilled 8 adv. lin games a few days ago, and it didn't go too well (one took 15 minutes, another I made a mistake in the initial diagram, one I got -3 on). Took two days off, studied them, and did a fresh 8 yesterday -- they went great (all <8 min, -0 or -1). Hopefully games are starting to click and I can get my first 170ish on a PT tomorrow :D

I feel like games will make or break the test for me. I've heard people say that once you practice, games become the easiest section. I just can't see that happening for me because the section seems so volatile (i.e. one wrong diagram, dropped rule, difficult set up could = -5/7). Anyone else have these thoughts?

LG reminds me of my intro to calc exams where, while most of the questions were basic, a couple were invariably designed to knock students from an A to a B. On some tests I would get these questions. On others, NOPE. I am v. jealous of those who can reliably go -0 games.

TGIF everybody!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badhombre, bcapace, CHyde and 16 guests