2%
35+
27%

Total votes: 121

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tycho

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Tycho » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:26 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:
Tycho wrote:
TheWalkingDebt wrote:I won't lie, I am already having trouble getting motivated to study. I see my 167 as a fluky score because of a bad RC, which normally was my best section going into the June test. I guess I can polish up my LR skills and try to consistently get to -0 for LG, but the Oct. test feels so far away.

Just gotta polish it up and go for that 180.

Seriously guys, July is going to fly by and October will be here in no time. Don't hold off on studying. Lesdoit!

Been working on LG this afternoon :D

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:45 pm

How do you guys do experimental sections? I think I read once that the experimental is always section 1-3... do you follow that rule when assembling PTs? Do you use new sections or old sections for experimentals?

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Hey everybody I have the Cambridge LG packet, and I'm using the pithypike study guide. I like the way pithypike organizes the guides, but he only has 7-45 listed. Do you guys think that's an adequate amount to get -5 or below, or should i do those other 24 games from the original 6 preptests as well?

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:42 pm

ltowns1 wrote:Hey everybody I have the Cambridge LG packet, and I'm using the pithypike study guide. I like the way pithypike organizes the guides, but he only has 7-45 listed. Do you guys think that's an adequate amount to get -5 or below, or should i do those other 24 games from the original 6 preptests as well?

There's some really strange games in the first few PTs, arguably unclear rules/instructions, bizarre formats, etc. I'd save them for later, and just give them a go as brain-expansion to make sure you're able to readjust to new or different game types. I think some of the 7sage explanation videos are 25+ minutes long, to give you an idea for weirdness.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:07 pm

TheProdigal wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:Hey everybody I have the Cambridge LG packet, and I'm using the pithypike study guide. I like the way pithypike organizes the guides, but he only has 7-45 listed. Do you guys think that's an adequate amount to get -5 or below, or should i do those other 24 games from the original 6 preptests as well?

There's some really strange games in the first few PTs, arguably unclear rules/instructions, bizarre formats, etc. I'd save them for later, and just give them a go as brain-expansion to make sure you're able to readjust to new or different game types. I think some of the 7sage explanation videos are 25+ minutes long, to give you an idea for weirdness.

Thanks

tskela

Postby tskela » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:36 pm

LG in June 2014 when I first took the LSAT: -7
LG today on PT 60: -7 :roll:

I've been drilling so so so hard. Super discouraging

I'm a lot better at the older LGs...:(
Last edited by tskela on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shump92

Postby shump92 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:41 pm

tskela wrote:LG in February 2014 when I first took the LSAT: -7

Maybe change your method? I always look at the games like math problems. If you get good at showing your work and understanding the setups, the answers are pretty easy to reach. Unless your problem is time I don't know if you are approaching them as well as possible.

tskela

Postby tskela » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:55 pm

shump92 wrote:

Maybe change your method? I always look at the games like math problems. If you get good at showing your work and understanding the setups, the answers are pretty easy to reach. Unless your problem is time I don't know if you are approaching them as well as possible.

My diagrams are always a mess tbh. No matter how much I try to internalize diagramming methods, it always ends up a mess. Also meant June 2014. My brain is clearly malfunctioning

shump92

Postby shump92 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:59 pm

tskela wrote:
shump92 wrote:

My diagrams are always a mess tbh. No matter how much I try to internalize diagramming methods, it always ends up a mess

A mess is not necessarily a problem. That only matters if it prevents you from understanding your own setups. The key to LG is having a setup that you can follow that uses the stimulus rules well. Almost all questions can be answered quickly if your setup is done correctly. I'd recommend seeing how much time you take to create a diagram and then time how quickly you answer the questions. Good digram time is 2-3 minutes and depending on how difficult the game is 3-5 minutes for all questions. That type of practice will let you see where your problems are.

Tycho

Postby Tycho » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:49 pm

shump92 wrote:
tskela wrote:
shump92 wrote:

My diagrams are always a mess tbh. No matter how much I try to internalize diagramming methods, it always ends up a mess

A mess is not necessarily a problem. That only matters if it prevents you from understanding your own setups. The key to LG is having a setup that you can follow that uses the stimulus rules well. Almost all questions can be answered quickly if your setup is done correctly. I'd recommend seeing how much time you take to create a diagram and then time how quickly you answer the questions. Good digram time is 2-3 minutes and depending on how difficult the game is 3-5 minutes for all questions. That type of practice will let you see where your problems are.

This. And it's alright to drill games untimed early on; drilling in the fundamentals and really nailing a good setup are infinitesimally more important than getting it done quickly during practice. Get that down and the timing will come naturally as you develop a method of diagramming that suits you. Just be consistent and take your time, get the inferences right, be repetitive (even redundant, if it helps), and you'll be golden.

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:57 pm

PT35 RC sucks. Has two pretty difficult passages: Dworkin and Evolutionary Biologists. Anyone else found these passages difficult?

Tycho

Postby Tycho » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:06 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I think I read once that the experimental is always section 1-3... do you follow that rule when assembling PTs?

This was once the rule, I believe, but I had Section 4 experimental in June 2015 so they've apparently done away with it.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:27 pm

I am motivated, but after studying for a while I feel sleepy while still feeling motivated. Does anyone else have the same problem?

tskela

Postby tskela » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Tycho wrote:
shump92 wrote:
tskela wrote:
shump92 wrote:

This. And it's alright to drill games untimed early on; drilling in the fundamentals and really nailing a good setup are infinitesimally more important than getting it done quickly during practice. Get that down and the timing will come naturally as you develop a method of diagramming that suits you. Just be consistent and take your time, get the inferences right, be repetitive (even redundant, if it helps), and you'll be golden.

I think the issue could definitely be time pressure making me panic and get sloppy with my diagrams. Just did the LG section from PT 61 without looking at how much time I was taking and ended up going -0 in 27 minutes. It's either that that was a super easy section, or I benefited from letting myself take the time to diagram fully and neatly :mrgreen:

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:47 pm

biggestlawman wrote:I am motivated, but after studying for a while I feel sleepy while still feeling motivated. Does anyone else have the same problem?

LSAT prep should be tiring if you're doing it right.

Tycho

Postby Tycho » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:54 pm

tskela wrote:
Tycho wrote:
shump92 wrote:
tskela wrote:
shump92 wrote:

I think the issue could definitely be time pressure making me panic and get sloppy with my diagrams. Just did the LG section from PT 61 without looking at how much time I was taking and ended up going -0 in 27 minutes. It's either that that was a super easy section, or I benefited from letting myself take the time to diagram fully and neatly :mrgreen:

Nicely done. Focus on the diagramming and understanding the logic/recognizing patterns and great things will happen. :)

RZ5646 wrote:
biggestlawman wrote:I am motivated, but after studying for a while I feel sleepy while still feeling motivated. Does anyone else have the same problem?

LSAT prep should be tiring if you're doing it right.

+1; to push oneself builds endurance and mental stamina, but be mindful of diminishing returns after a point.

pittsburghpirates

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:39 pm

179orBust wrote:PT35 RC sucks. Has two pretty difficult passages: Dworkin and Evolutionary Biologists. Anyone else found these passages difficult?

Dude..RC Is the best section!!! I don't know why but it feels most natural to me.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 pm

RZ5646 wrote:How do you guys do experimental sections? I think I read once that the experimental is always section 1-3... do you follow that rule when assembling PTs? Do you use new sections or old sections for experimentals?

That used to be the case but it isn't anymore LSAC changed that. I just have someone else assemble the 5 sections for me so I have no clue what section is experimental, and I sent aside a few PTs so I'd have experimental sections fresh. I think not knowing which section is experimental is vital for getting ready for game day IMO so sacrificing 3-4 PTs for this is well worth it in the end

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:09 am

Hey I need some advice. I have the Cambridge bundles for LG, LR & RC...I already have my strategy for drilling LG but does anyone have a good strategy for drilling LR and RC? I'm out of ideas. Please & thanks!

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:26 am

AbbeyS wrote:Hey I need some advice. I have the Cambridge bundles for LG, LR & RC...I already have my strategy for drilling LG but does anyone have a good strategy for drilling LR and RC? I'm out of ideas. Please & thanks!

For LR I do all drilling untimed. Spend as much time as you need for each question. Make sure you are 100% sure you have TCR, and 100% sure that the other 4 ACs are wrong. Doing this will help you really understand each question type's patterns and will develop your approach to each question type. I also write out little explanations for questions on a separate legal pad.

For RC I recommend doing bulk untimed sessions. Do 15-20 passages in a sitting. Work on a notation system that works for you and pay close attention to the structure of each passage.

chicharon

Post removed...

Postby chicharon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:25 am

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:35 am

chicharon wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:Hey I need some advice. I have the Cambridge bundles for LG, LR & RC...I already have my strategy for drilling LG but does anyone have a good strategy for drilling LR and RC? I'm out of ideas. Please & thanks!

For LR I do all drilling untimed. Spend as much time as you need for each question. Make sure you are 100% sure you have TCR, and 100% sure that the other 4 ACs are wrong. Doing this will help you really understand each question type's patterns and will develop your approach to each question type. I also write out little explanations for questions on a separate legal pad.

For RC I recommend doing bulk untimed sessions. Do 15-20 passages in a sitting. Work on a notation system that works for you and pay close attention to the structure of each passage.

How many LR questions do you do in one sitting? Or per day?

Anywhere from 50-100 questions depending on the amount of LG and RC drilling I'm doing that day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”