2%
35+
27%

Total votes: 121

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

thatlawlkid

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:Retaking 164 from December. Somehow dropped 2 questions each section as the test went on LG-2 LR-4 LR2-6 RC-8. Gotta focus on endurance, drilling RC and concentrated LR drilling. considering buying cambridge packet to perfect LR as I've always been naturally "good" (very relative term, especially here on TLS) at it and never really honed in on the inherent logical flaws i likely have.

Cambridge packets for drilling are an invaluable asset to sharpen up your skills and develop habits.

Thanks! Digging the Tar btw.

MrBalloons

Postby MrBalloons » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:21 pm

June retaker checking in. Retaking a 167, coming off not a ton of drilling, so I feel confident that I can push into the 170s.

What's the consensus on the the 7sage curriculum? Worth the money?

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:25 pm

MrBalloons wrote:June retaker checking in. Retaking a 167, coming off not a ton of drilling, so I feel confident that I can push into the 170s.

What's the consensus on the the 7sage curriculum? Worth the money?

Not in your case. I'd just drill, PT, and look over any prep books you have.

MrBalloons

Postby MrBalloons » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:31 pm

The Abyss wrote:Not in your case. I'd just drill, PT, and look over any prep books you have.

That's the direction I figured I'd go. I just worry because I'm typically at least at -5 on LG, which might indicate I've missed something fundamental about how they "work." Dunno though, really.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:33 pm

MrBalloons wrote:
The Abyss wrote:Not in your case. I'd just drill, PT, and look over any prep books you have.

That's the direction I figured I'd go. I just worry because I'm typically at least at -5 on LG, which might indicate I've missed something fundamental about how they "work." Dunno though, really.

Just use the free 7sage logic game explanations. You can pick up JY's methods from them without buying the course.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:50 pm

ChoboPie wrote:
biggestlawman wrote:Where is the old crowd?

Still waiting for RZ to PW...

That kid....did he take the June exam?

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:51 pm

I don't have many untouched PTs left. What should I do? Should I just reorder fresh ones and retake them in hopes that I don't remember answers? I have only about 10 pts in the 40+ pt range.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Okay, so I am splitting up the Cambridge packets into smaller sections for drilling. I want the difficulty percentages to be proportionally the same as a an actual section. So does anyone know what the approximate percent breakdown of Level 1, 2, 3, and 4 difficulty questions is on an average LR section?

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Checking in for a retake from June here. For my first take, I went heavy on basics/fundamentals (Trainer, PowerScore LG Bible, Manhattan LR), light drilling (mainly the Cambridge 1-38 LR and LG packets, almost no drilling for RC), and then a LOT of PTs. Ended with significantly lower than my PT average June, in large part due to a disastrous showing on RC. Scored worse on that section than I had in months leading up to the test.

Planning on going through Manhattan RC and re-reading the RC sections in the Trainer. Would purchasing the 1-38 packets of Cambridge RC be a worthwhile investment? Any other RC tips for retakers? I've read the Noodly Retake guide and have tried implementing the Voyager RC method.
Last edited by EnderWiggin on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggnobbq

Postby ggnobbq » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:18 pm

checkin in, retake reapply applicant. Yesterday after work I was itching to do a PT, as I haven't taken one since I sat for the Dec 2014 LSAT. gl all

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:20 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:Checking in for a retake from June here. For my first take, I went heavy on basics/fundamentals (Trainer, PowerScore LG Bible, Manhattan LR), light drilling (mainly the Cambridge 1-38 LR and LG packets, almost no drilling for RC), and then a LOT of PTs. Ended with a 166 for June, in large part due to a disastrous showing on RC. Scored worse on that section than I had in months leading up to the test.

Planning on going through Manhattan RC and re-reading the RC sections in the Trainer. Would purchasing the 1-38 packets of Cambridge RC be a worthwhile investment? Any other RC tips for retakers? I've read the Noodly Retake guide and have tried implementing the Voyager RC method.

I found that a smaller amount of notation is better. It seems that underlining the thesis and any concepts or ideas that pop out as something likely to be in a question is far more beneficial. Also, I found that just circling significant key words and concepts in the argument allows one to easily track the flow of the passage. But hey what do I know, I missed 6 on RC in June.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:24 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:Checking in for a retake from June here. For my first take, I went heavy on basics/fundamentals (Trainer, PowerScore LG Bible, Manhattan LR), light drilling (mainly the Cambridge 1-38 LR and LG packets, almost no drilling for RC), and then a LOT of PTs. Ended with a 166 for June, in large part due to a disastrous showing on RC. Scored worse on that section than I had in months leading up to the test.

I think the RC packets would be worth it because I believe sheer volume helps with RC. I've sat down a couple of times and have done 3-4 hours straight of RC passages followed by review, and I've seen quite a bit of improvement in my RC performances on PTs. Also, have you developed a notation system?

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Op_Diom wrote:
I found that a smaller amount of notation is better. It seems that underlining the thesis and any concepts or ideas that pop out as something likely to be in a question is far more beneficial. Also, I found that just circling significant key words and concepts in the argument allows one to easily track the flow of the passage. But hey what do I know, I missed 6 on RC in June.

thanks! I've tried my hand at a few different notation strategies (from lots to none at all), to varying degrees of success. So definitely plan to really figure out what works best for me. Your RC score for June was still better than mine :oops:

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:28 pm

The Abyss wrote:
I think the RC packets would be worth it because I believe sheer volume helps with RC. I've sat down a couple of times and have done 3-4 hours straight of RC passages followed by review, and I've seen quite a bit of improvement in my RC performances on PTs. Also, have you developed a notation system?

Yeah I'm definitely pretty sure I'll get the RC packets. Kicking myself now for falling into the naive LSAT taker's trap of thinking "Oh, Reading? I can do that with minimal studying and be fine."

As far as notation, what I opted to do toward the end of my studying for June was to write out a very abbreviated (think 1-4 word) summary of each paragraph in a passage. Sometimes I would do this twice if there was more than one major point or a shift in focus (new theory/new group/new opinion etc). I'm not sure how helpful this was, though. I also continued to have timing problems on RC, including on test day, when I had to guess on 3 questions in the glass passage due to time running out.

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:36 pm

biggestlawman wrote:
ChoboPie wrote:

He did not

hokie6260

Postby hokie6260 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Checking in after getting my terrible results yesterday from June. Definitely retaking. My score was so bad, I am too ashamed to even post it. I did the Manhattan Interact course, and feel like it didn't help me much at all. Has anybody tried the 7sage courses? I have heard good things about them, and thinking about trying them now.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:57 pm

hokie6260 wrote:Checking in after getting my terrible results yesterday from June. Definitely retaking. My score was so bad, I am too ashamed to even post it. I did the Manhattan Interact course, and feel like it didn't help me much at all. Has anybody tried the 7sage courses? I have heard good things about them, and thinking about trying them now.

Read some of the strategies mentioned in various threads here. See if you actually understand how to implement those strategies. If you do not really understand what is being described, ask questions.

Everyone has their own journey to their intended score.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:00 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:
biggestlawman wrote:
ChoboPie wrote:

He did not

Oh well. Good to see Chobo again! Hope some more familiar tars show up. Let's get this done!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:05 pm

biggestlawman wrote:[

Oh well. Good to see Chobo again! Hope some more familiar tars show up. Let's get this done!

wat

tedofsandimas

Postby tedofsandimas » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Just bought the Cambridge RC bundle. I was disappointed at how I did on RC -- I had been consistently missing 1 or 2 questions on my practice tests (with one exception where I missed 4), but I missed 7 on the June exam. I hadn't done much drilling for RC because it had consistently been my best section and I focused my efforts on LR and LG. I won't make that mistake again. I also wonder if part of my problem was I didn't work enough on endurance. At any rate, I'm feeling hopeful about improving for October, even with an overall disappointing June score.

CubaKahn

Postby CubaKahn » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:24 pm

I think its safe to establish a causal relationship between the June 2015 test and a spike in the sales of RC prep content.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:25 pm

nlee10 wrote:
biggestlawman wrote:[

wat

Hey nlee, the flying baby!

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

whacka

Post removed.

Postby whacka » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”