30+
2%
35+
27%

Total votes: 121

179orBust

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby 179orBust » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:27 am

Welcome to all those who joined us today after receiving their June scores. Really sorry you have to go through the process again. Must be really annoying but it'll all be worth it in the end.

I've asked this question a few times but hopefully I can get answer from one of the Juners. I'm currently going -3,-4 on older RC sections (1-38) and I'm worried that my wrong answers will double when I start taking the newer practice tests . After reading some of the posts in the waiters thread, it seemed like a lot of people struggled with RC. How much harder are the newer RC sections? And what can I do at this point in my studies to make sure I'm in a good position to score well in RC on the newer exams?

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:29 am

welcome all 8)

cub1014

Postby cub1014 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:40 am

I also have a question. I did not do this in my prep for the June test. I did manage to finish every question on the test but it seems obvious to me that the time crunch is what causes my inaccuracy. Have any of you had good success with giving yourselves only 30 minutes to complete each section during your preptests rather than the allotted 35?

zarzamora

Postby zarzamora » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:43 am

June taker checking in. My score wasn't terrible, but well below my PTs so looks like I'm retaking. Plus I missed 2 questions from stupid bubbling errors. Good luck to everyone and let's all crush it in October!

sox49

Postby sox49 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:08 am

179orBust wrote:Welcome to all those who joined us today after receiving their June scores. Really sorry you have to go through the process again. Must be really annoying but it'll all be worth it in the end.

I've asked this question a few times but hopefully I can get answer from one of the Juners. I'm currently going -3,-4 on older RC sections (1-38) and I'm worried that my wrong answers will double when I start taking the newer practice tests . After reading some of the posts in the waiters thread, it seemed like a lot of people struggled with RC. How much harder are the newer RC sections? And what can I do at this point in my studies to make sure I'm in a good position to score well in RC on the newer exams?

Rc gets harder. Some people think the passages got harder, but in my opinion it's the questions that really become the challenge. I got a 170 with a -3 rc on the june test so I'm no expert. I was kinda all over the place with testing ranging from -0 to -4. my strategy was very personalized. I read the passage very quickly (after prepping for months reading slowly and heavily annotating and underlining, which constantly left me low on time and -3 to -5) because I could get to the questions and remember almost everything from the reading , where as notating would leave me having to go back and re read earlier paragraphs because I couldn't remember what they said. It's not for everyone and using heavy notation and underlining early on definitely helped me understand as I read what parts were important, but i felt good about it going in as I was getting -1 and -0 in 30-32 minutes on prep tests the week before. I was sick during the test which i felt bogged me down (glass passage ugh) Reading that quickly and internalizing it required me to be really lucid and I was definitely below peak performance with the illness.

So my suggestion is to pay close attention to ACs going forward. When something seemed right I would ask myself REALLY? to try to make sure i understood why I was selecting that choice and what in the passage would lead me to believe that choice was TCR. That's advice a lot would give and probably just intuative but that's really where in my opinion the final step to -0 begins. Just my opinion and i underperformed and by no means am I someone like jeffort in terms of useful advice.

By the way RC gets hard starting with 49 and I think becomes even trickier in the 60s forward.

LifeGoals

Postby LifeGoals » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:10 am

June taker here. I hit a 180 so I will never retake but I find the LSAT a ton of fun and want to give back in some small way after lurking these boards for so much info, so if anyone wants to ask me anything I'm happy to help.

My one weaker section is probably RC but I'm very solid on LR and LG if anyone has any problems there. I can also talk a little bit about overcoming weaknesses/ADHD on RC.

Talarose

Postby Talarose » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:27 am

LifeGoals wrote:June taker here. I hit a 180 so I will never retake but I find the LSAT a ton of fun and want to give back in some small way after lurking these boards for so much info, so if anyone wants to ask me anything I'm happy to help.

My one weaker section is probably RC but I'm very solid on LR and LG if anyone has any problems there. I can also talk a little bit about overcoming weaknesses/ADHD on RC.

Yes please. I'd like a full on story lol

Talarose

Postby Talarose » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:30 am

Got destroyed by the June test. Confident I'm going to crush it in October. Let's do this, looking for a 176+. Low GPA's unite :!:

I do agree with what they said above, RC did not get harder in terms of the passage. If anything, the topics were pretty easy to relate/understand compared to PTs but the questions were what got me. Not that they're necessarily hard but they are extremely specific. What killed me was LR :(

CubaKahn

Postby CubaKahn » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:46 am

Checking in here for October. Just got destroyed by June. Got a 162 when my last 6 PTs were withing the 167-170 range. This is obviously because the LSAT gods are displeased with my lack of shitpoasting/any posting so I'm breaking my lurker status for Octo.

I got -8 in games which is more than my usual -4 or so. And a brutal -10 in RC which is not at all usual for me. -3 in both LR. I want a 170+ to pair with my 3.5 but I suppose I'm unclear as to how much I actually need to improve and how much of it was nerves or w.e. But I know I gotta work a lot on my games. Any tips on how to drill RC in order to actually improve? I didnt think this was a problem section for me but I was obviously unprepared as I ran out of time and got most of the last passage wrong on quick guesses.

LifeGoals

Postby LifeGoals » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:48 am

Talarose wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:June taker here. I hit a 180 so I will never retake but I find the LSAT a ton of fun and want to give back in some small way after lurking these boards for so much info, so if anyone wants to ask me anything I'm happy to help.

Okay. I took the LSAT only studying LG over 5 years ago and got a 175. Most of my mistakes were RC. At the time I was an arrogant college freshman. I wasn't sure I wanted to be a lawyer and didn't send in applications. This time, I wanted HYS and resolved to truly study for 2 months.

I was diagnosed with ADHD during undergrad and was on meds for it for a while. I eventually decided to try and go it without meds. Been without meds about 3 years now. The ADHD makes me speed through things and not carefully think about my answers so I have to work hard to counteract that. On LG and LR it honestly helps me because I can think so fast and blaze through, but on RC it was killing me. Some of my PTs after mastering logic games had every single missed question from RC.

My first trick was to take a deep breath, relax,
and just read each passage without even thinking about there being questions at the end, just the same reading for understanding that I do every day. (You absolutely must read demanding material every day to get your brain in shape. I've been doing this since forever so I don't know how high you'll max out if you don't.)

Then, I take each question one at a time. Each question in RC is mostly self-contained so don't try to be thinking about 3 questions at once. Relax, read the stem, and underline the relevant parts of the passage. 60% of the time the answer should be obvious. 20% of the time you need to look for a critical piece of info in another part of the passage. The last 20% of the time, it's just a subtle difference between two good answers and you need to slow down and think hard about which one is better.

My ADHD means I will always make stupid mistakes so I started making myself take the test under a 25, then a 20 minute per section time restriction. This way I know doing the real thing I will always have time to review questions I miss. I use a check mark for questions I am happy about, one question mark for questions I'm unsure about, and two question marks for questions where I'm very unsure about my answer. I then take a 2-minute break, relax and think about something that makes me happy, and then use my time after marking answers and taking a break to review every question. I quickly go through check marks to see I bubbled correctly and didn't make an elementary mistake, then spend more time rethinking the harder questions.

Anything else?

Talarose

Postby Talarose » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:55 am

LifeGoals wrote:
Talarose wrote:

Okay. I took the LSAT only studying LG over 5 years ago and got a 175. Most of my mistakes were RC. At the time I was an arrogant college freshman. I wasn't sure I wanted to be a lawyer and didn't send in applications. This time, I wanted HYS and resolved to truly study for 2 months.

I was diagnosed with ADHD during undergrad and was on meds for it for a while. I eventually decided to try and go it without meds. Been without meds about 3 years now. The ADHD makes me speed through things and not carefully think about my answers so I have to work hard to counteract that. On LG and LR it honestly helps me because I can think so fast and blaze through, but on RC it was killing me. Some of my PTs after mastering logic games had every single missed question from RC.

and just read each passage without even thinking about there being questions at the end, just the same reading for understanding that I do every day. (You absolutely must read demanding material every day to get your brain in shape. I've been doing this since forever so I don't know how high you'll max out if you don't.)

Then, I take each question one at a time. Each question in RC is mostly self-contained so don't try to be thinking about 3 questions at once. Relax, read the stem, and underline the relevant parts of the passage. 60% of the time the answer should be obvious. 20% of the time you need to look for a critical piece of info in another part of the passage. The last 20% of the time, it's just a subtle difference between two good answers and you need to slow down and think hard about which one is better.

My ADHD means I will always make stupid mistakes so I started making myself take the test under a 25, then a 20 minute per section time restriction. This way I know doing the real thing I will always have time to review questions I miss. I use a check mark for questions I am happy about, one question mark for questions I'm unsure about, and two question marks for questions where I'm very unsure about my answer. I then take a 2-minute break, relax and think about something that makes me happy, and then use my time after marking answers and taking a break to review every question. I quickly go through check marks to see I bubbled correctly and didn't make an elementary mistake, then spend more time rethinking the harder questions.

Anything else?

Did you use or find any specific study material helpful? I'm usually -0 in LG and my RC is fine when I take my time. I mess up when I move too quickly. My real problem area is LR. I do decent but not good if I do it untimed. With a time restriction, I speed through it and make stupid mistakes. I've found a balance and now am able to finish the section in 27-30 min. But there are just some questions I can't seem to get right. This is the section I really need help with.

LifeGoals

Postby LifeGoals » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:02 am

Talarose wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:
Talarose wrote:

Anything else?

Did you use or find any specific study material helpful? I'm usually -0 in LG and my RC is fine when I take my time. I mess up when I move too quickly. My real problem area is LR. I do decent but not good if I do it untimed. With a time restriction, I speed through it and make stupid mistakes. I've found a balance and now am able to finish the section in 27-30 min. But there are just some questions I can't seem to get right. This is the section I really need help with.

Okay. First, I would review formal and informal logical fallacies. You'll probably need a real philosophy source, not any LSAT material, to get a handle on that if you've never been exposed to
it before. Then, I suggest you figure out which types of LR questions are hard for you. In my case, most of my LR missed came from parallel reasoning. I developed a system where I used the rules for logically diagramming an argument that I learned during my philosophy undergrad specifically to attack parallel reasoning questions. This is just an example of how in LR, you have to target the types of questions that don't speak to how you naturally think. If you're a functioning human being, you have some ability to think logically, but hit weak spots and cognitive biases on certain types of questions. You absolutely need to figure out what it is that you can't consistently do before you start trying to improve on it.

Cozy

Postby Cozy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:16 am

Checking in. I've been spending the past month learning the LR and LG Bibles as well as the Trainer. However, I've yet to take a timed PT other than a diagnostic a few months ago that was administered by my school. I'm thinking I might take one tomorrow.
I have the three latest books of LSAC's ten actual PTs but I still can't decide if I want to spend the money on the Manhattan tests and Cambridge bundles. What do you all think would be the most essential? And yes, I know that scholarships from an increased score will make spending the money worth it in the end, but what I really want is whatever will help me increase my score the most for the least amount of money.

cub1014

Postby cub1014 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:45 am

LifeGoals wrote:
Talarose wrote:

and just read each passage without even thinking about there being questions at the end, just the same reading for understanding that I do every day.

My ADHD means I will always make stupid mistakes so I started making myself take the test under a 25, then a 20 minute per section time restriction. This way I know doing the real thing I will always have time to review questions I miss.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to implement these techniques when I start up prep again.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:48 am

LifeGoals wrote:
Talarose wrote:

Anything else?

how much time do you take to read the passage and then to do questions in RC? it seems like you finish the section in 20 min which is 5 mins per passage to read and do the questions. even if you're reading the passage in 2 minutes which seems fast, doing 7 questions can take longer than 3 minutes considering the kind of issues you mentioned with the questions where you need to find kind critical info in the passage or where you're unsure between 2 answer choices or not recall fully whether something was mentioned or not mentioned in the passage etc. how do you handle these issues within this narrow time window?

LifeGoals

Postby LifeGoals » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:12 am

appind wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:
Talarose wrote:

Anything else?

how much time do you take to read the passage and then to do questions in RC? it seems like you finish the section in 20 min which is 5 mins per passage to read and do the questions. even if you're reading the passage in 2 minutes which seems fast, doing 7 questions can take longer than 3 minutes considering the kind of issues you mentioned with the questions where you need to find kind critical info in the passage or where you're unsure between 2 answer choices or not recall fully whether something was mentioned or not mentioned in the passage etc. how do you handle these issues within this narrow time window?

Good question. Some types of questions, I got to the point where I could answer them instantly based on my memory of the passage with 99% accuracy. For instance, I could read a passage then instantly answer a main point question on gut feeling. I know the main point because I read and understood the passage. For a lot of the easier questions, I just immediately remember the answer because I already read the passage and it's just asking for a detail or a really simple inference I already made in my mind.

I do read very quickly though, always have. I read most passages in about 2 minutes. Comparative is often longer, if the comparative passages are not easy I will often break the 20 minute time restriction to allocate 8 minutes there.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:48 am

I'm drilling MBT questions today and may do some RC passages later as well. 93 days left.

sudijajd

Postby sudijajd » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:56 am

Hi all,

I just got the scores from the June test, and unfortunately I will be re-taking this October. I am completely baffled that I scored so low and i'm quite confused how to proceed with preparation for October (I was PTing in the low 170s).

For the learning stage, I used the LG, LR, and RC bibles. Following that, I used PT 29-38 as drill material for question types and PT 43-74 as full-time PTs. My questions are:

- Should I get the early PT set (since I have not seen any of those)?
- Should I get the LSAT Trainer to get additional insight / practice on attacking specific questions or will this be counter-productive considering I used the Bibles to prepare thus far?

My averages are LG-1, LR-6, RC-3

jumbo2016

Postby jumbo2016 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:33 am

Retaker question, sorry if this has already been answered.

How do you go about reusing PTs that you have already taken? I just bought the two books of tests that I didn't own but they're the older ones and of course I'll need to use newer ones come September. Should i go through them all now and erase so that I don't have strong memory of the questions by the time I use them? (I marked in the books) Or should I not reuse tests at all?

Also - when can we expect merit based fee waivers from schools that send them out? I'm hoping my score nets me some at at least some 30-50 ranked schools. Thanks!

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:47 am

jumbo2016 wrote:Retaker question, sorry if this has already been answered.

How do you go about reusing PTs that you have already taken? I just bought the two books of tests that I didn't own but they're the older ones and of course I'll need to use newer ones come September. Should i go through them all now and erase so that I don't have strong memory of the questions by the time I use them? (I marked in the books) Or should I not reuse tests at all?

Also - when can we expect merit based fee waivers from schools that send them out? I'm hoping my score nets me some at at least some 30-50 ranked schools. Thanks!

Definitely reuse tests. You may remembers things a bit but they'll still be helpful in prep.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 am

Yo! How is everyone? I have comeback refreshed from a 3 week vacation in Europe! Time to hit the books hard and get this done right in October.

Shooting for a 173+. Before the break I was through with the first half of the Trainer, so that's where I will restart once I have reviewed the first half. I am going to think long and hard about how to go about drilling, using prep guides, and PTing. I will start prepping from this Friday.

Good luck to y'all! Where is the old crowd?

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:55 am

Checking in. After getting my June score back, which was an abysmal 164 (abysmal b/c I was pting in the low to mid 170's), I will be taking the October exam. And yes, my iPhone is lodged in the wall still.

ChoboPie

Postby ChoboPie » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:31 am

biggestlawman wrote:Where is the old crowd?

Still waiting for RZ to PW...

thatlawlkid

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:58 am

Retaking 164 from December. Somehow dropped 2 questions each section as the test went on LG-2 LR-4 LR2-6 RC-8. Gotta focus on endurance, drilling RC and concentrated LR drilling. considering buying cambridge packet to perfect LR as I've always been naturally "good" (very relative term, especially here on TLS) at it and never really honed in on the inherent logical flaws i likely have.

SirArthurDayne

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:59 am

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”