35+
27%

Total votes: 121

179orBust

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby 179orBust » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:25 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
179orBust wrote:PT6, S3, Q15:
Can someone please help me out by explaining why (A) isn't a NA? If even one of their attempts to develop higher-yielding strains was useful, then wouldn't it be fair to assert that they haven't been concerned with only their own research? And if that's the case then why should they be blamed? Just having a tough time ruling this choice out and would appreciate some help!

Edit: Thinking about it now is (A) out of scope because it talks about current attempts?

When I read this stimulus I think "why would these researchers be to blame?" We cannot blame them simply because they failed to devise a new method, we know the previously used methods can be sufficient. Unless we know that previous methods are no longer sufficient then why do we need new methods at all? The gap is in explaining why the researchers should need to (and therefore why them having not done so is blameworthy) develop new methods in the first place.

A. We do not have to assume that any attempts, on their part, would be futile. If we assumed that, then why would we find fault with the researchers in the first place? If the attempts are futile how can we blame them for not succeeding?

B. AHA! If we assumed the previous methods are no longer sufficient this fills our gap.

Thanks, great explanation!

Chanticleer

Postby Chanticleer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:17 pm

georgie2006 wrote:PT 28

LR: -2
LG: -5
LR: -2
RC: -4

I'm basically just taking PTs and reviewing every single question after. I'm up to PT 28. I also keep a log of every single question I miss and then drill, drill, drill the questions that I missed or the ones I that gave me trouble. I then type up any missed questions on Microsoft word. I then review that log every 2 weeks.

As a result, my speed has increased and my comprehension has skyrocketed. This method is unconventional but it works for me. This is how I learn and I feel comfortable.

Happy studying:)

I'm actually doing the same thing. It seems to be working so far, thank god.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:42 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teacups

Postby teacups » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:47 pm

@sanibella, thank you so much for your response - I will definitely be applying all of that to my RC studying, and some other techniques I have read from other threads.

I have not started taking PTs yet - which PTS are the best to start off with? I'll be ready to begin PTs in about a month or so. My school quarter ends next week, and when it finishes, I am planning on studying 6 hours a day. Hopefully, I will be ready by ready by October; I have no qualms with applying next year, either, but October is my goal.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:39 pm

gamerish wrote:How do you go about re-drilling the questions you did and missed? Do you print out a bunch of copies of the entire PT or do you like copy and paste the specific questions into a word document and print them out that way, or something else entirely?

This is what I do:

(1) take a timed-PT using a scantron;

(2) erase any marks on the PT, if any, after I complete it;

(3) go over each section of the PT, but this time UN-timed, without a scantron, and with a pen, circling the CR;

(4) Once I finish each section, I check my answers and I type up any that I missed on a Microsoft word document;
(a) for LR, I type up the entire STIMULUS, QUESTION STEM, the CR, and, what I call, the SUCKER CHOICE—i.e. the answer choice I choose
that was incorrect, or an answer choice I thought was the CR). I also write my own "thought process."
(b) for LG, I only type up the question stem and CR. I also label the game-type, e.g., GROUPING GAME (on my bi-weekly review, I print out
the logic game and drill, baby, drill!)
(c) for RC, I only type up the question stem and CR. For each question, though, I type up the part of the text that supports the CR. It'll look
like this: http://imgur.com/FaYNHNt (this has helped me "read for structure" because I now see how each paragraph "fits"; what the author's
attitude, purpose, main point, is, etc.);

(5) I review the Microsoft word document at least every two weeks. I print out the particular LG and RC passage that I review. But I don't print out the LR questions, even if they require "diagramming conditionals." I basically try to see how the argument goes together (premise, conclusion, assumptions).

This process has helped me see patterns. And that's how I've improved.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Went out and bought a printer today. Got all PTs 19-65 through my old homie from kindergarten. Fucked up when I bought the Cambridge packets 1-20 wayyyy by book It would've been clutch to be able to just print that shit out in PDF form since I wrote all over the packets already.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Post removed.

3pianists

Postby 3pianists » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:01 am

Checking in! I've been pretty low key studying for a few weeks now. My diagnostic said I'm golden on everything but LG, so I'm plowing through the powerscore bible and really, honest-to-gosh enjoying it. I've been making it to work 30-45 minutes early to study, and looking like a sad, lonely recluse studying alone at lunch, but hey, if that's what it takes... When I'm done with the LG bible, I'll do another diagnostic, see how that goes, and take it from there. Study time is likely about to get even more scarce, as I'll be leaving this job to go work at a summer camp for the rest of the summer. So...yay. :|

Best of luck to all of us! I'm excited to join you crazy people. :)

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:46 pm

mornincounselor wrote:The games section on 39 is really weird. The second game I couldn't figure out initially so I skipped it. I got back to it with ~5 minutes left and found answers for a few questions but had to guess on 2. If I had pushed through it initially I would have saved the 2 minutes I had to spend rereading it and I likely would have gotten to every question but idk if this happened on the real thing I would want to move on and get the easy games done with so meh.

I still have a lot of work to do on games, clearly.

Yeah I just did this test this morning and the 2nd game literally blew my mind, had no idea what to do/how to diagram it. Very confusing IMO

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am, edited 7 times in total.

PodPeople

Postby PodPeople » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Joining this group now :)

DoYouEvenTLS

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Surprisingly had a great week of studying after instilling a study regimen. I'm starting with getting the fundamentals of each LR question type with the Bible and Trainer then completing level 1 of the Cambridge bundle to see if I really learned the question type (untimed). For any wrong answers, I write the number down and review it at week's end. After completing level 1 from the Cambridge Bundle for each question type, I'll move on to level 2 to see if I retained the information after some time.
Going to move on to LG and RC thereafter.
Going to start taking PTs after I've completed each question type (for each section) as mentioned above. Then I'll see where I have my weaknesses and drill that question type with the remaining questions from the bundle. How did you all improve on your timing? At the moment I can't see myself completing a question within 1 min 20 sec.

I signed up for the October exam so the pressure's on now :shock:

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:24 pm

gamerish wrote:How do you guys tackle Cannot Be True LR questions? The Manhattan LR book doesn't have them in the inference chapter but they're labeled as inference questions on the cambridge website. Should I essentially approach them like a Must Be True EXCEPT questions?

It would be "could be true EXCEPT".

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:53 am

Good morning! I'll be taking PT 29 and PT 30 today and then reviewing after. 4 months to go :D

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:02 am

georgie2006 wrote:Good morning! I'll be taking PT 29 and PT 30 today and then reviewing after. 4 months to go :D

Sounds like you're doing a lot of PTs for this early in the game.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:13 am

Taking PTs and thoroughly reviewing them after has increased my understanding, speed, and accuracy. Drilling by type and reading LSAT books didn't really do anything for me. I guess I just learn differently. But as long as it works, right?

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:22 am

georgie2006 wrote:Taking PTs and thoroughly reviewing them after has increased my understanding, speed, and accuracy. Drilling by type and reading LSAT books didn't really do anything for me. I guess I just learn differently. But as long as it works, right?

Yeah just don't run out. I'm going to try to do as many PTs as possible because I also think that exposure to the real test is the most valuable use of my time, but if you're already up to PT 30 and doing two per day you might run through them too quickly.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:25 am

I'm not doing two per day, LOL. More like 2 or 3 per week. I'm doing 2 today because I want to improve my endurance.

But what has helped me the most is cataloging all of the questions I miss and then reviewing them bi-weekly. This process has really made me see the patterns of the test and has inculcated in me the thought process needed to correctly answer LR and RC questions.

dea1990

Postby dea1990 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:30 am

For those who study with two test prep/books at the same time. How do yall do it? I am currently studying from 7sage, but I have the lsat trainer. I want to start the trainer now. How can I start studying from both of them?

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:51 am

Drilling Flaw questions today. I have been busy moving here lately and haven't had much time to study. Now that I'm settled in, I'm ready to hunker down and attack the LSAT.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:31 am

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Loving the Trainer so far. Just finished first LR set of lessons. Should I skip LG and go straight through to RC/LG? I haven't heard anything particularly excellent about the Trainer for LG and already own and have read the PSBible. I am planning on rereading it.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:18 pm

god, I'm actually finding these 3 types of LR to be a bitch

- disagreement
- paralell flaw,
- what role does "x" play in the argument?

pawlaw10

Postby pawlaw10 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:47 pm

I've been a major lurker on here for the last year. I decided to start posting on here since I'm registered for the October LSAT in phoenix. I am doing blueprint the movie. I plan on finishing the entire course in about 5-6 weeks then spending the rest of the time drilling. I took a timed diagnostic yesterday and scored a 165, I rocked games, sucked at LR. So I'm mainly using the blueprint to learn the different types of questions and the techniques. I like the videos. I also read the economist and about 20 other academic-ish magazines/papers a month to force myself to read more and read things that do not interest me. I have a pretty intensive study schedule set up, minimum 40 hours a week until the test. I have every preptest available to purchase, and all the cambridge books. I started blueprint in class last year but flaked out because I was too annoyed with all the kids in there constantly asking questions and we had just bought a house so moving took over my fall. I also have all the hacking the lsat books. I'm not sure what I want to do yet in law, I am leaning towards environmental/ non-profit animal law work. I am older (27), and very fortunate that my husband has an amazing career. I don't work and we can pay for my law school outright in cash so I plan on attending the best school that I can get into and commuting.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”