2%
35+
27%

Total votes: 121

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

teiko

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby teiko » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:28 pm

I'm checking in. I work full time as an elementary school teacher in a high need area and in 2 weeks I will have 5 weeks off, so I began my preparation June 1st for the October LSAT. I am doing self-study with The LSAT Trainer as my sole prep guide along with LSAC practice exams. I plan on studying for no more than 3 hours Monday-Thursday and then for no more for 5 hours on Saturdays. I look forward to keeping you all updated on my journey and using you all as a source of motivation as well. 8)

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am, edited 7 times in total.

whacka

Postby whacka » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Last edited by whacka on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:13 pm

gamerish wrote:ETA: Another positive for today. A few days ago I took about 20 conclusion questions of level 1, 2 and 3 difficulties and crossed out all the question numbers and page numbers so I couldn't tell which questions were in which level. I just did the whole thing and went -0 and really didn't notice any big change in difficulty between the pages from the various levels. So I guess psychology was playing a bigger role in my hitting a wall with some of the higher difficulty questions than I thought.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am, edited 7 times in total.

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:49 pm

After I complete the Bibles, do you guys think I should go ahead and purchase the LSAT trainer or Manhattan or both? I'm guessing I'll finish the bibles in 1-2 months since I am doing them with the Cambridge packets. Then all of September go ahead and do one PT a day and review them extensively?

Sometimes I think about taking the December test due to fear of not finishing all my studying in time :|

Thoughts?!

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:31 am

Shcamz wrote:After I complete the Bibles, do you guys think I should go ahead and purchase the LSAT trainer or Manhattan or both? I'm guessing I'll finish the bibles in 1-2 months since I am doing them with the Cambridge packets. Then all of September go ahead and do one PT a day and review them extensively?

Sometimes I think about taking the December test due to fear of not finishing all my studying in time :|

Thoughts?!

I would definitely buy the Manhattan LR book and start on that, maybe even before you start drilling. My main concern with powerscore is that every statement is a premise - if you've got a large question stimulus then you have one hell of a time ascertaining what is important and how to answer the questions.

Manhattan basically breaks down your arguments to where if you do it right you almost visually hone in on the argument core - that is the individual premises that directly lead into main and subsidiary conclusions. This approach is much more effective in large stim questions, and also in differentiating main or subsidiary conclusions (as the test makers make it a point to convolute this in main point questions. I haven't gotten further but I was raving about that book and I'm sure it will help with more question types - they also combine many question types that are very similar (i.e. necessary assumption and flaw questions).

You did the right thing starting off with the Powerscore LR bible, because the conditional logic section is very useful - they don't go in depth enough in the the logic games bible and with some grouping games you have to have a strong command of contrapositives with multiple variables (and/or operatives).

I'm also planning to do a practice test every day in September. I can't answer the LSAT trainer question because I'm focusing on drills but how much I use it will depend on how much I get done.

I plan to go through the Manhattan and and drill all question types, while also going through the logic games bible and drilling question types. Once all of this is done I will use the LSAT trainer for reading comp, along with LSAC Superprep, Voyagers methods and questions by type drills. If I get this done I believe I will have maxed out my score or gotten close so I will take tests regularly. I plan to go through the LSAT trainer for Logical Reasoning and possibly Logic Games (my worst section) depending on time.

Make sure you take a ton of sections in your practice tests. By September you need to have your fundamentals down and work on building endurance (in an ideal world). That's one thing you don't want to have against you on test day.

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:09 am

scalawag wrote:
Shcamz wrote:After I complete the Bibles, do you guys think I should go ahead and purchase the LSAT trainer or Manhattan or both? I'm guessing I'll finish the bibles in 1-2 months since I am doing them with the Cambridge packets. Then all of September go ahead and do one PT a day and review them extensively?

Thoughts?!

I would definitely buy the Manhattan LR book and start on that, maybe even before you start drilling. My main concern with powerscore is that every statement is a premise - if you've got a large question stimulus then you have one hell of a time ascertaining what is important and how to answer the questions.

Manhattan basically breaks down your arguments to where if you do it right you almost visually hone in on the argument core - that is the individual premises that directly lead into main and subsidiary conclusions. This approach is much more effective in large stim questions, and also in differentiating main or subsidiary conclusions (as the test makers make it a point to convolute this in main point questions. I haven't gotten further but I was raving about that book and I'm sure it will help with more question types - they also combine many question types that are very similar (i.e. necessary assumption and flaw questions).

You did the right thing starting off with the Powerscore LR bible, because the conditional logic section is very useful - they don't go in depth enough in the the logic games bible and with some grouping games you have to have a strong command of contrapositives with multiple variables (and/or operatives).

I'm also planning to do a practice test every day in September. I can't answer the LSAT trainer question because I'm focusing on drills but how much I use it will depend on how much I get done.

I plan to go through the Manhattan and and drill all question types, while also going through the logic games bible and drilling question types. Once all of this is done I will use the LSAT trainer for reading comp, along with LSAC Superprep, Voyagers methods and questions by type drills. If I get this done I believe I will have maxed out my score or gotten close so I will take tests regularly. I plan to go through the LSAT trainer for Logical Reasoning and possibly Logic Games (my worst section) depending on time.

Make sure you take a ton of sections in your practice tests. By September you need to have your fundamentals down and work on building endurance (in an ideal world). That's one thing you don't want to have against you on test day.

I'm thinking of completely running through the bibles then going ahead and doing the Manhattan LR and LG books simultaneously with the Cambridge packets. I'm thinking PowerScore will lay the ground work, so to speak, and then Manhattan will give me that extra push I need. I'm going to do reading comp along the way doing Voyager's method/PithyPike's idea of using 10 old RC section ideas (PTs 19-29 RC sections) then possible get the Trainer depending on how much time I have. I may push back to December if I do not feel ready/not hitting my target PT score since I will not be applying to Law schools till Fall of 2016.

scalawag

Postby scalawag » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:15 am

Shcamz wrote:
scalawag wrote:

Thoughts?!

I'm thinking of completely running through the bibles then going ahead and doing the Manhattan LR and LG books simultaneously with the Cambridge packets. I'm thinking PowerScore will lay the ground work, so to speak, and then Manhattan will give me that extra push I need. I'm going to do reading comp along the way doing Voyager's method/PithyPike's idea of using 10 old RC section ideas (PTs 19-29 RC sections) then possible get the Trainer depending on how much time I have. I may push back to December if I do not feel ready/not hitting my target PT score since I will not be applying to Law schools till Fall of 2016.

Nice man - I'm applying in Fall 2016 too. I think you have a solid plan - I'm going to adapt the 10 old RC sections, I may start working on that sooner than I had anticipated - those are points I can pick up.

I would highly recommend that you start doing Cambridge games packets once you complete the section on grouping games in the Logical Games Bible. (And having done conditional reasoning in LR bible). I'm just finishing up relevant packets and after I finish the book I will start them again. You need to be doing logic game drills all the time if you are not naturally good at them. 7 Sage videos are a good resource for absolute stumps. But don't wait to start tackling those, or put off drilling them - I missed the June test because I did that. You'll be glad you started now, even if you test in December.

If you do buy the Manhattan LG bible let me know how it is.

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:10 am

scalawag wrote:
Shcamz wrote:
scalawag wrote:

Thoughts?!

Nice man - I'm applying in Fall 2016 too. I think you have a solid plan - I'm going to adapt the 10 old RC sections, I may start working on that sooner than I had anticipated - those are points I can pick up.

I would highly recommend that you start doing Cambridge games packets once you complete the section on grouping games in the Logical Games Bible. (And having done conditional reasoning in LR bible). I'm just finishing up relevant packets and after I finish the book I will start them again. You need to be doing logic game drills all the time if you are not naturally good at them. 7 Sage videos are a good resource for absolute stumps. But don't wait to start tackling those, or put off drilling them - I missed the June test because I did that. You'll be glad you started now, even if you test in December.

If you do buy the Manhattan LG bible let me know how it is.

I'll continue to do Cambridge packets with the respective sections in the LGB then. I've only gotten about mid-way through the Basic Linear games. 7Sage is a phenomenal source! I use both their and PS methods. I've noticed many LG books by different companies are extremely similar. I'm going to buy the Manhattan LR book. Read the first couple chapters then tackle the sections which those chapters covered in the Cambridge packets.

Looking forward till a year and a half from now when we're discussing which schools we are applying to (hopefully the ones we want) instead of the LSAT! :D

Dexter97

Postby Dexter97 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:13 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Dexter97 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Dexter97 wrote:Checking in. Im a HS teacher and the last day of school is Friday :P

So far Ive gone through the bibles and Im working my way through the trainer. After that Im going to start on the Cambridge bundle.

Question: How should I approach the bundles? Should I focus on mastering one question type at a time or should I knock out all the easy Qs and then transition to medium, hard? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Have you done a diagnostic to evaluate where you're at in terms of question types? There's a lot of weeks left, but there's little sense wasting time going through question types one-by-one if there are glaring weaknesses or unassailable strengths on LR.

appind

Postby appind » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:48 pm

anyone considering CSU EAst Bay Hayward test center

I called CSU to know the testcenter's conditions, but no one there knows where the Oct LSAT takes place.

anyone take LSAT at CSU Hayward before? which building/room is the test held and who proctors it there? usually with law schools, a program manager at the school along with students administers proctors, but CSU doesn't know who in their college does it. no test center in ALL of South Bay all year is forcing me to look for a new test center. CSU East Bay Hayward is an Oct center. i read some reviews suggesting small desks, lack of law school and less than quality proctors which causes concern.

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:31 pm

Do you guys think I should get the Trainer or Manhattan LR book to pair along with the bibles? Possibly both? And work through them all together? I can pretty much devote most of my day to LSAT studying.

i_wish_i_was_smart

Post removed...

Postby i_wish_i_was_smart » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:40 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by i_wish_i_was_smart on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

acidwash

Postby acidwash » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Checkin in. I'm taking the June test next week and will do the best that I can, but unless I get a 172+ (which is possible but unlikely given my recent PT scores), I'm taking October.

If I do take October, I'm seriously considering buying the full Velocity course. Watched a lot of the free videos and they've helped me, but I think that having access to all those resources would really help me structure my studying better, which was kind of my achilles heel this time around. If anyone has any opinions on it, I'd love to hear them.

Also, incredibly dumb question, but just making sure: October LSAT scores are available to use in this upcoming application cycle, correct? I.e. it's not too late of a test if I want to begin law school in Fall 2016?

BlindGuyMcSqueezy

Postby BlindGuyMcSqueezy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:02 pm

acidwash wrote:
Also, incredibly dumb question, but just making sure: October LSAT scores are available to use in this upcoming application cycle, correct? I.e. it's not too late of a test if I want to begin law school in Fall 2016?

October is not too late, and for most if not all law schools neither is December. For some schools even February is OK.

chicharon

Post removed...

Postby chicharon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:20 pm

PT6, S3, Q15:
Can someone please help me out by explaining why (A) isn't a NA? If even one of their attempts to develop higher-yielding strains was useful, then wouldn't it be fair to assert that they haven't been concerned with only their own research? And if that's the case then why should they be blamed? Just having a tough time ruling this choice out and would appreciate some help!

Edit: Thinking about it now is (A) out of scope because it talks about current attempts?

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:50 pm

bgoldgrab wrote:
acidwash wrote:

October is not too late, and for most if not all law schools neither is December. For some schools even February is OK.

I feel like I got hosed hard this cycle with a February score.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:00 pm

PT 28

LR: -2
LG: -5
LR: -2
RC: -4

I'm basically just taking PTs and reviewing every single question after. I'm up to PT 28. I also keep a log of every single question I miss and then drill, drill, drill the questions that I missed or the ones I that gave me trouble. I then type up any missed questions on Microsoft word. I then review that log every 2 weeks.

As a result, my speed has increased and my comprehension has skyrocketed. This method is unconventional but it works for me. This is how I learn and I feel comfortable.

Happy studying:)

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:01 pm

TheProdigal wrote:
bgoldgrab wrote:
acidwash wrote:

I feel like I got hosed hard this cycle with a February score.

Yeah applying with a feb score sounds like a awful idea for the same cycle. You'll get your score back early march which is pretty late. December might be pushing it a bit but should probably be fine with the lack of applicants trend

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:03 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”