The Official October 2015 Study Group

How many PTs have you done? (timed)

0+
5
4%
5+
12
10%
10+
25
21%
15+
14
12%
20+
20
17%
25+
9
7%
30+
3
2%
35+
33
27%
 
Total votes: 121

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mist4bison
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby mist4bison » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:56 pm

sox49 wrote:Who is advising people not to take Pt 72 and why?

The only reason you shouldn't take Pt 72 is to save for retake study, in which case I would advise an earlier test to save.


No one is, it's my own personal choice. Believe it or not, there are other reasons not to take PTs. Not having enough time to fit them all in, for instance. If I can take only three PTs from 72-75, why would I take the one that has been talked about consistently in this thread and that I don't feel I'm going into blind? I know the curve, which sections are difficult, and overall feelings from the test because of the conversations that have taken place. I feel that's plenty good of a reason not to take 72 as a PT.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:50 pm

mist4bison wrote:
sox49 wrote:Who is advising people not to take Pt 72 and why?

The only reason you shouldn't take Pt 72 is to save for retake study, in which case I would advise an earlier test to save.


No one is, it's my own personal choice. Believe it or not, there are other reasons not to take PTs. Not having enough time to fit them all in, for instance. If I can take only three PTs from 72-75, why would I take the one that has been talked about consistently in this thread and that I don't feel I'm going into blind? I know the curve, which sections are difficult, and overall feelings from the test because of the conversations that have taken place. I feel that's plenty good of a reason not to take 72 as a PT.


Like paying $10 each for tests that are probably no different from the others. It's an extreme case of diminishing returns.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5006
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby appind » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:43 pm

if one could take just 1 pt from 73,74,75 before the test and skip others, which one should it be?

User avatar
nlee10
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby nlee10 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:44 pm

appind wrote:if one could take just 1 pt from 73,74,75 before the test and skip others, which one should it be?

75

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:50 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:25 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
TheProdigal
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby TheProdigal » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Pretty much took today off. Taking 73 tomorrow. Hoping for something good :/.

What's everyone's first drink after the test? I'm debating about which whiskey to get.

Probably beer. Maybe I'll try to make some friends in the boonies and grab a drink before heading home.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5006
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:25 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:25 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
McJimJam
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Post removed.

Postby McJimJam » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:33 am

Post removed.
Last edited by McJimJam on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nlee10
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby nlee10 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:31 am

McJimJam wrote:
gamerish wrote:Am I stupid? The ticket says this:

Print (in block letters) your name, test date, LSAC account number, and test center code on the back of the photograph, then glue or tape the photograph to the ticket – do not use staples.


And I just don't get that.

Why am I gonna write my information on the back of the picture if I'm just going to glue it to the ticket anyway? That doesn't make any sense.

Definitely not stupid haha. I was completely thrown off by this the first time. Felt like I was missing something super obvious or reading something wrong (must have read that statement 20 times before acquiescing). Went so far as to bring an extra picture and tape with me to my test center. But yeah that's what they want, I still don't really get it but LSAC wins.

To be completely honest, I did not even that my previous two times and has not affected me yet...

User avatar
galeatus
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby galeatus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:34 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Pretty much took today off. Taking 73 tomorrow. Hoping for something good :/.

What's everyone's first drink after the test? I'm debating about which whiskey to get.


As long as it gets me drunk I can't give less of a damn, quantity beats quality. (Exactly the opposite of LSAT prep.)

User avatar
McJimJam
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Post removed.

Postby McJimJam » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:46 am

Post removed.
Last edited by McJimJam on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheProdigal
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby TheProdigal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:46 am

McJimJam wrote:. Anyways, do you guys think its feasible to finish the Manhattan RC by Sunday, and is it worth putting the time into it?

I can't recommend that book highly enough. I finally got into it for this take, and deeply wish I'd done so earlier. I didn't find I needed any practice outside of the book. It's fast, useful, and raised my PT mode from 170 to 174.

I'm not certain where the extra pages got added from third to fourth edition though, would recommend the fourth as it's 100 longer.

User avatar
204Wpg
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby 204Wpg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:33 am

TheProdigal wrote:
McJimJam wrote:. Anyways, do you guys think its feasible to finish the Manhattan RC by Sunday, and is it worth putting the time into it?

I can't recommend that book highly enough. I finally got into it for this take, and deeply wish I'd done so earlier. I didn't find I needed any practice outside of the book. It's fast, useful, and raised my PT mode from 170 to 174.

I'm not certain where the extra pages got added from third to fourth edition though, would recommend the fourth as it's 100 longer.


I have the third, and started only I believe ~10 or so days ago and am currently on the last chapter. And I certainly haven't been going at it for long periods of time or every day, so definitely do-able and I found it very helpful.

User avatar
mist4bison
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby mist4bison » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:55 am

gamerish wrote:Am I stupid? The ticket says this:

Print (in block letters) your name, test date, LSAC account number, and test center code on the back of the photograph, then glue or tape the photograph to the ticket – do not use staples.


And I just don't get that.

Why am I gonna write my information on the back of the picture if I'm just going to glue it to the ticket anyway? Obviously, I'm going to do it, no reason to be obstinate. I just don't get the point.


I assumed it was in case the picture came off of the page. I'm sure they keep those pictures on file. If a pic comes off in transit, they need to know who it belongs to.

redfred22
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby redfred22 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:10 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I think, comparing how I do on tests I've done versus those I haven't, a big difference is my perception. On tests I've taken before I almost expect to do well, so then I don't stress about them and am much more confident. On new tests, I don't apply the same methods, and as a result I miss many questions due to overthinking/ timing.

I have one more test that I haven't taken... Hopefully I'll be able to get comfy with it.


I agree with this. When I take older ones, I feel very confident and just KNOW what my score is going to be on each section. With all the talk about the newer ones, I think it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy type of thing. You get nervous, lose focus, etc and then miss a few more than you normally would. When I went through a newer test WITHOUT really acknowledging that it was newer, there were definitely a few questions that felt different and difficult, but I noticed that I was much more calm and relaxed and could do better than I though simply because I didn't acknowledge that it was newer.

redfred22
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby redfred22 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:15 am

Really sucks that working has had to fill such a large amount of time over the past few weeks. I'm envious of you all that have days off to get more PTs in and such. That's the only thing I'm worried about - not having taken enough PTs. But hey, IF I need to study for December (which I'm really, really hoping isn't the case) I'll have a good number of tests left to use, so that's one good part.

Also, my studying has primarily been done during the evenings/nights when I just want to chill, play video games, watch tv, etc., so I'm not 100% on it. But I've found that my best sections come when I do them earlier in the day. The only -0 on LR that I've gotten came on a section I took earlier in the day. If anything, this test has taught me a lot about myself. I'm much more aware of things like fatigue and whatnot now. Like last night I was reviewing some RC and it was pretty clear that my brain was just tired. Not like tired from using it too much, but just tired from being awake all day. Really hoping to plan Thursday/Friday/Saturday next week in a way that allows me to get the perfect amount of sleep and rest for my brain. That makes such a difference.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:16 am

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ugg
Posts: 8920
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Post removed.

Postby ugg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:26 am

Post removed.
Last edited by ugg on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheProdigal
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby TheProdigal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:03 am

Eww. Just got an e-mail from Ave Maria. I'll file that under motivation to do well next Saturday.

Going to be taking 71 this morning.

Egzon
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Egzon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:05 am

Guys, what would be a good way to polish my LR skills these last days before the test? I 'm not as consistent as I'd want to be and miss between 2 to 4 questions on each section.

User avatar
sox49
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby sox49 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:17 am

RZ5646 wrote:
mist4bison wrote:
sox49 wrote:Who is advising people not to take Pt 72 and why?

The only reason you shouldn't take Pt 72 is to save for retake study, in which case I would advise an earlier test to save.


No one is, it's my own personal choice. Believe it or not, there are other reasons not to take PTs. Not having enough time to fit them all in, for instance. If I can take only three PTs from 72-75, why would I take the one that has been talked about consistently in this thread and that I don't feel I'm going into blind? I know the curve, which sections are difficult, and overall feelings from the test because of the conversations that have taken place. I feel that's plenty good of a reason not to take 72 as a PT.


Like paying $10 each for tests that are probably no different from the others. It's an extreme case of diminishing returns.



If you really don't have time , I get that. If you do have time , take it unless you believe you will retake. 10 bucks is nothing . You have been prepping for a long time on old material, why wouldnt you want to do as much recent material as possible.

And being concerned about taking a prep test "blind" is only an issue if you are seriously concerned with the predictive capabilities of the test, which is still good anyways, and which is irrelevant at this point. take the tests to get better at the lsat , don't use them as a gauge to predict your score at this point. every question on Pt 72 you haven't seen before and every one is an opportunity to improve. But yeah, if you only have time to take 1 or two more I'm not going to argue that

And RZ, why is it a case of diminishing returns? That assumes you are going to get less better from taking prep test 72 than prep test 52, which I don't think is true, and certainly not to any extreme degree, as you assert. Also , if that's true, it's an argument to not do any more prep tests at all, since each had such little value.
In any case, even if the returns are diminishing it is not a great reason to not take the test. Even if the value of taking Pt 72 is less than or 71, it still could offer significant returns.
Last edited by sox49 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: #gobroncos, bearedman8, floatie, Instrumental, jonny27, mrgstephe, phelpsy, wildquest8200 and 8 guests