30+
2%
35+
27%

Total votes: 121

redfred22

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby redfred22 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:10 pm

Just drilled some weaken questions. Not a ton, though. Was going to take a PT over the weekend, but came down with a horrible cold/sinus infection Friday. Didn't study Friday or Saturday. I'm finding that taking a couple days off away from anything LSAT related, included questions, study materials, TLS, subreddits, etc, every weekend really is beneficial. May look at some RC questions now. Hope everyone is doing well!

teacups

Postby teacups » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:03 am

I've been lurking TLS for a bit now - I started studying for the LSAT about 2 weeks ago (I'm using the Powerscore Bibles for now); it's been a bit difficult finding time to study because of school. But, I have been devoting four hours daily to just LSAT studying. I've started off with RC (I tried doing a mix of LG/RC/LR, but jumping back and forth between the three was not conducive to my learning), and I finished the RC Bible (I will also be buying the Manhattan RC guide and utilizing 7Sage when I am ready), and I did my first timed RC passages tonight. Thus far, I have been doing the passages untimed to make sure I understand everything I am doing without being rushed; I usually get about -1, -2 wrong. When I did the passages timed tonight, I got about -4+ wrong per passage, and it took me almost 13 minutes to finish each :(. I'm really disappointed because I thought the RC section was going to be the strongest section for me to do.

How do I improve on speed reading accurately (meaning, understanding what I am reading), and memorizing the relevant information? It takes me about 3 minutes to read the passages and to simultaneously notate them (circle/box and outlining only). I've been reading The Economist daily as well to be better acquainted with the language of the LSAT. This is my first time studying for the LSAT and taking it (October). I'm shooting for a 176+, and I determined not to get discouraged. Thank you for your help!
Last edited by teacups on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:35 am

I did PT 27 after running 5 miles today (which I think helped).

LR: -4
LG: -3
RC: -4
LR: -4

The snakes & lizards game wasn't so hard to figure out--it just required mental stamina.

Wake up! Wake up! It's the first of the month!

ariaaaa

Postby ariaaaa » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:18 pm

All these posts are starting to make me think I should lace up and go out for a run :D :D :D

Trying to skim through the next 5 chapters of the LSAT Trainer today, I'm trying to build up a more solid foundation before working on stamina.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:37 pm

teacups wrote:I've been lurking TLS for a bit now - I started studying for the LSAT about 2 weeks ago (I'm using the Powerscore Bibles for now); it's been a bit difficult finding time to study because of school. But, I have been devoting four hours daily to just LSAT studying. I've started off with RC (I tried doing a mix of LG/RC/LR, but jumping back and forth between the three was not conducive to my learning), and I finished the RC Bible (I will also be buying the Manhattan RC guide and utilizing 7Sage when I am ready), and I did my first timed RC passages tonight. Thus far, I have been doing the passages untimed to make sure I understand everything I am doing without being rushed; I usually get about -1, -2 wrong. When I did the passages timed tonight, I got about -4+ wrong per passage, and it took me almost 13 minutes to finish each :(. I'm really disappointed because I thought the RC section was going to be the strongest section for me to do.

How do I improve on speed reading accurately (meaning, understanding what I am reading), and memorizing the relevant information? It takes me about 3 minutes to read the passages and to simultaneously notate them (circle/box and outlining only). I've been reading The Economist daily as well to be better acquainted with the language of the LSAT. This is my first time studying for the LSAT and taking it (October). I'm shooting for a 176+, and I determined not to get discouraged. Thank you for your help!

Teacups,

I don't think you are approaching RC in an efficient manner from what you have posted. I don't think you should be spending your time reading trying to "memorize relevant information". Have you read LSAT Trainer? I just started his RC lessons and have found them to be very aligned with what I do intuitively and very helpful. A phrase he used really stuck out to me. He said when you do RC, you need to "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee". Essentially, read for a general understanding of structure instead of details, and then go back and find relevant details when solving questions. I think you will find this also helps you with time, though at this stage I think your priority should be accuracy, not time.

I have not heard anything particularly notable about Manhattan or 7sage for Reading Comprehension. I would stick to LSAT Trainer for that.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Running has done wonders for me! Not only have I made tremendous headway on the LSAT, but I feel more relaxed, and less anxious.

I highly recommend it;)

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:39 pm

i_wish_i_was_smart wrote:Guys I'm just having a hard time improving LR. Just did pt 40. Section 3 # 15 raped me. I still don't get why C is any worse of an answer than E is. If C is assumed, the argument goes through. It's a bit tangential but imo the assumption is sufficient.

If you are having a hard time improving LR, why are you doing PTs?

Deputy Downer

Postby Deputy Downer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Checking in.

Been lurking the forums for a while, but now that I'm coming up on my second year out of undergrad, finally getting geared up to apply either Fall 2015 or 2016 (depending on what I score in October and how much more money I want to make in the meantime).

Best of luck to everyone.

chicharon

Post removed...

Postby chicharon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:20 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I did my first fully timed 4-section test today with PT 37. I had a weird period of little productivity (likely caused by a intense desire to use the bathroom) during the last passage of section 2 and the first game of section 3 which resulted in a less than optimal understanding of passage 4 and a ridiculous 10 minutes spent on game 1 but I overcame it and sped through the other 3 games, it forced me to guess between the final two choices on the very last question though.

-3 on RC (-1, -1, -0, -1)
-2 on 26 LR
-2 on LG (-0, -1, -1, -0)
-1 on 25 LR

Those are great scores this far out from the exam date. Keep working on your weaknesses (possibly RC?) and you should have no problem scoring a 175+! You will have some very nice offers!

Keep it up!

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:33 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewOrleansLaw

Postby NewOrleansLaw » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:44 pm

Checking in. I am taking the June LSAT and cancelling the score so that I can get the first real test under my belt and not be worried come October. Scoring in the lower 160's now, aiming for 170+. Trainer, bibles, and every PT available. I look forward to our next five months together!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:44 pm

NewOrleansLaw wrote:Checking in. I am taking the June LSAT and cancelling the score so that I can get the first real test under my belt and not be worried come October. Scoring in the lower 160's now, aiming for 170+. Trainer, bibles, and every PT available. I look forward to our next five months together!

Dont do that.

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm

nlee10 wrote:
NewOrleansLaw wrote:Checking in. I am taking the June LSAT and cancelling the score so that I can get the first real test under my belt and not be worried come October. Scoring in the lower 160's now, aiming for 170+. Trainer, bibles, and every PT available. I look forward to our next five months together!

Dont do that.

+1

There is absolutely no reason to burn one of your takes for this.

Take it for the first time in October. Keep studying. Take it again in December. Keep studying. Take it again in February.

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:50 am

Waste of an attempt. You have 70 other real tests that you can take in a real LSAT type environment. You shouldn't take the LSAT unprepared..do remember law schools will see that you cancelled your score.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:15 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:26 am

mornincounselor wrote:As someone studying for their third take I would strongly agree that wasting an attempt in this way would be silly.

Go to the building at the time the test is supposed to be and go into a classroom near the test and take a PT if you really want the experience. Use a proctor app and do 5 timed sections, it's just like the real thing but you don't waste a take.

This is a great idea. I switched from June to Oct so I think I'll do this next monday. It's going to be my second take in Oct and probably my last one since I'll definitely be out of available PTs by then.

fundip

Postby fundip » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 am

Checking in for October. Was planning to re-take for June, but work happened and I got lazy... Hoping I can get my act together by October.

NewOrleansLaw

Postby NewOrleansLaw » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:53 am

Shcamz wrote:

Waste of an attempt. You have 70 other real tests that you can take in a real LSAT type environment. You shouldn't take the LSAT unprepared..do remember law schools will see that you cancelled your score.

I was unaware that they actually scored it and if law schools can see the cancelled score that would defeat the purpose of my postponement to October. Thank you so much for warning me of this, I am going to withdraw from the test completely. My goal was to just have one high score for the schools to look at.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:44 pm

NewOrleansLaw wrote:
Shcamz wrote:

I was unaware that they actually scored it and if law schools can see the cancelled score that would defeat the purpose of my postponement to October. Thank you so much for warning me of this, I am going to withdraw from the test completely. My goal was to just have one high score for the schools to look at.

Law schools do not see the cancelled score. However, you are only given three attempts in a two year period and a cancellation would count as one of those attempts.

I second the other recommendations you have received. Alternately, you could take advantage of Kaplan's free practice LSAT test to get a test-day feel.

tskela

Postby tskela » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Checking in! 171 February 2014, aiming for 174+ this time around. LG is by far my biggest weakness. I can go -0 in RC and LR and then like -8 in LG because of timing issues and getting super flustered/panicky on games with too few rules. I bought the ultimate 7sage course thing and I've just been drilling easy sequencing and in/out games (the ones he says should take 5-6 minutes) and trying to master those. I still freak out when I try a new game though :oops:

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tskela

Postby tskela » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:20 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I need to reevaluate the way I am reviewing tagged LR questions during timed sections. I am 2-5 in changing answers. Twice I went from one wrong choice to another wrong choice and three times I went from correct to incorrect vs only 2 changes from wrong to right. Small sample size but I think in the future I will stick with my previous choice unless I have a real "aha" moment when I return to it.

Even forgetting about the difficult games section on 38 the rest of the test killed me.

-5 in RC
-6 in LR

Ugh. Definitely plan on redoing this test a bit down the road. So far it seems like October tests are above average difficulty for me.

I think this is because when you give yourself more time to think, that's when you get into the bad habit of trying to rationalize answer choices. I've found that right answers need to be very obviously right, and if I have to talk myself into choosing an answer, I probably haven't understood the stem very well. So I think it's a good idea to trust your initial instinct

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:19 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I need to reevaluate the way I am reviewing tagged LR questions during timed sections. I am 2-5 in changing answers. Twice I went from one wrong choice to another wrong choice and three times I went from correct to incorrect vs only 2 changes from wrong to right. Small sample size but I think in the future I will stick with my previous choice unless I have a real "aha" moment when I return to it.

Even forgetting about the difficult games section on 38 the rest of the test killed me.

-5 in RC
-6 in LR

Ugh. Definitely plan on redoing this test a bit down the road. So far it seems like October tests are above average difficulty for me.

38 was my diagnostic and I remember feeling that RC was very difficult and LR was fairly easy. Let me know if you felt the same.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”