Postby sanibella » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:46 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
gamerish wrote:Took PT 64 as a 5 section today

LR1: -3
LG: -4
LR2: -3
RC: -1

SO HAPPY! My second 170+ in 3 days.

That games score is awful and I think it may be because I forgot one of the splits in the third game but I'll find out for certain when I BR tonight. Taking another PT on Friday and, in the meantime, am going to drill LG and take LR and RC timed sections like crazy.

For the first time I'm actually feeling like a 170 in October might not so impossible but I'd like to get a few more in that range before I actually let myself get that optimistic.

Good job dog, I'm real jealous of that RC score. keep it up

Doesn't sound like 170s are impossible at all!!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:55 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanibella

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby sanibella » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I mean I do fine detaching myself from bad scores, kinda used to it at this point. When I sat for June, however, I had a really poor score 2 days before. I just noticed I wasn't attacking the questions like I used to, and it results in bad timing, changing answers that were right, and ultimately a score roughly near my worst PT. I think it's just a little different when the real thing is here.

Speaking of poorly, That's how PT B is going. Wasted a solid 4 minutes on a question with a blatant correct answer :/

Sounds like you might have been burnt out? That's how I felt when I was burnt out last week.

Ahh, don't do it! I started to waste time on an easy question yesterday, remembered Mike Kim's warning to not let the wheels spin, skipped it, came back and the answer literally jumped out at me.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:05 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I rarely do sub game board when I'm doing timed LG, but for some games it really is necessary if we are to finish in time. Case in point game 2 from PT 28 (four researchers learn at least 1 and at most 3/4 languages)

Without sub game board it took me 2.5 minutes for the first question and even after making the crucial inference (about y) the rest of the questions were still very very difficult.

When we do the chart with 3 separate game boards the questions become so much easier.

I have to learn when it is necessary to make the sub game boards, because I suspect we will have one of the games on our test. Using "this is really difficult I better make sub game boards" is a very sub-optimal mechanism.

In general:

If we can use a chart to best answer the questions there is a higher likelihood of sgb's being useful.
If the question is closed and there are relatively few possibilities there is a higher likelihood of sgb's being useful.
If on the basis of a splittable element we can determine a high percentage of the rest of the board . . .
If our rules link up whereby on the basis of the placement of a single element we can draw numerous conclusions about our game …
etc.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I found I've done better when I split if there are four distinct possibilities or less. I feel like I got that from 7sage videos? Making too many sub game boards was a time sink for me and really affected my timing for awhile.

sndeloss

Postby sndeloss » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:19 pm

sanibella wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:I rarely do sub game board when I'm doing timed LG, but for some games it really is necessary if we are to finish in time. Case in point game 2 from PT 28 (four researchers learn at least 1 and at most 3/4 languages)

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I found I've done better when I split if there are four distinct possibilities or less. I feel like I got that from 7sage videos? Making too many sub game boards was a time sink for me and really affected my timing for awhile.

In a similar vein, I just figured out how to make "chart"/"grid" game boards (like the ones recommended in the 7sage video for this game). These are counterintuitive to me since I'm already months deep into studying without them. Is there a way to tell when a chart/grid would be appropriate? I don't like them much but if there's set situations where they're basically required I'd like to know.

appind

Postby appind » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Without sub game board it took me 2.5 minutes for the first question and even after making the crucial inference (about y) the rest of the questions were still very very difficult.

When we do the chart with 3 separate game boards the questions become so much easier.

I have to learn when it is necessary to make the sub game boards, because I suspect we will have one of the games on our test. Using "this is really difficult I better make sub game boards" is a very sub-optimal mechanism.

In general:

If we can use a chart to best answer the questions there is a higher likelihood of sgb's being useful.
If the question is closed and there are relatively few possibilities there is a higher likelihood of sgb's being useful.
If on the basis of a splittable element we can determine a high percentage of the rest of the board . . .
If our rules link up whereby on the basis of the placement of a single element we can draw numerous conclusions about our game …
etc.

i have never done subgame board, and I do probably fine in lg.

I assume subg board means making several diagrams to enumerate possibilities, but I may be wrong. I guess i don't know how useful they can be as such possibilities can also be notated in the main diagram.

appind

Postby appind » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:56 pm

That games score is awful and I think it may be because I forgot one of the splits in the third game but I'll find out for certain when I BR tonight. Taking another PT on Friday and, in the meantime, am going to drill LG and take LR and RC timed sections like crazy.

For the first time I'm actually feeling like a 170 in October might not so impossible but I'd like to get a few more in that range before I actually let myself get that optimistic.

nice lr improvement. a strong rc score seems to be the foundation of a great score on this test. without it, a great score becomes a struggle.

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Just did the LG section of PT46. That was probably the easiest set I have ever seen. Finished with 10:30 left.

This is just like riding a bike.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:06 pm

sigh, thought my days were over for bombing certain sections ..

-9 on games for a 161 on pt 70

and I look on 7sage's diffiuclty rater (however accurate that is) and apparently it is an easy section! LOL wtf is wrong with me

edit::: can someone please offer some type of suggestion? my last PT's I was getting about -4 on games, but games has always been kind of a struggle for me, I'm not sure why considering every else seems to dominate it.

I drill games hard too (probably more than any other section) but i seem to fluctuate so much. ugh..
Last edited by flash21 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey D Luffy

Postby Monkey D Luffy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:33 pm

sanibella wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:

Good job dog, I'm real jealous of that RC score. keep it up

Doesn't sound like 170s are impossible at all!!

That bicycle game is killer.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Mint, FWIW I find that the superprep tests are pretty tough, but as already stated it sounds like you might be burned out since you usually kill it at pt's judging by your other scores

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Superprep B and C are supposed to have diabolical LG.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:29 pm

Post removed...

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:18 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I went -6 in LG which never happens :/. Stupid circle game. I missed a deduction for the last game as well, which just ruined everything.

-6 in the first LR -4 on RC and -4 in the second LR.
It's funny I didn't expect to be tiring. I only did like 16 RC passages yesterday.

ETA if I don't mess up LG I end up with a 171. So there's that. This was a totally fresh test for me. I don't think it was the new questions though. I just couldn't get my brain to work.

I'm just gunna drink, sleep, and forget about it. will retake in the am.

I wouldn't worry about it. Did you use a spoke diagram for the circle game? Learning that changed my whole worldview on circle games.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:24 pm

Post removed...

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
sanibella wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I went -6 in LG which never happens :/. Stupid circle game. I missed a deduction for the last game as well, which just ruined everything.

It's funny I didn't expect to be tiring. I only did like 16 RC passages yesterday.

ETA if I don't mess up LG I end up with a 171. So there's that. This was a totally fresh test for me. I don't think it was the new questions though. I just couldn't get my brain to work.

I wouldn't worry about it. Did you use a spoke diagram for the circle game? Learning that changed my whole worldview on circle games.

Na I did slats in a circle. Is the spoke easier to draw? Do you mean like quadrants that are divided up, instead of just a circle of people?

Honestly circle games aren't hard they're just annoying to draw. Especially on these earlier tests that are one game per page. I spent too long on a couple of questions by looking for harder answer choices than were actually being asked for...

Like "6 people are seated around a circular table" = 3 lines intersecting at the center with a person at each end point. It's much faster to draw.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:37 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
sanibella wrote:

Na I did slats in a circle. Is the spoke easier to draw? Do you mean like quadrants that are divided up, instead of just a circle of people?

Honestly circle games aren't hard they're just annoying to draw. Especially on these earlier tests that are one game per page. I spent too long on a couple of questions by looking for harder answer choices than were actually being asked for...

Yep they are just like sequence games

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:04 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWalkingDebt

Postby TheWalkingDebt » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:32 am

Did my first bit of LSAT practice since the June exam last friday. PT 53 (Dec 07 I think?)

Score: 170
LR1: -2
LG: -3
LR2: -4
RC: -2

Felt pretty rusty, particularly on LG. Trying to score above my 169 when I went -3 total on LR and LG and then did atrociously on RC somehow with a -9. I am shooting for a 175 and I think it is possible. I feel much more relaxed this go around than I did last time because I've got a full time job occupying most of my thoughts.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:20 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:38 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
TheWalkingDebt wrote:Did my first bit of LSAT practice since the June exam last friday. PT 53 (Dec 07 I think?)

Felt pretty rusty, particularly on LG. Trying to score above my 169 when I went -3 total on LR and LG and then did atrociously on RC somehow with a -9. I am shooting for a 175 and I think it is possible. I feel much more relaxed this go around than I did last time because I've got a full time job occupying most of my thoughts.

This is underrated. I yell at teenagers for my job, really helps relieve stress.

I get yelled at by partners at my job, which creates additional stress. Why couldn't I have just been laid off?

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:05 am

mist4bison wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
TheWalkingDebt wrote:Did my first bit of LSAT practice since the June exam last friday. PT 53 (Dec 07 I think?)

This is underrated. I yell at teenagers for my job, really helps relieve stress.

I get yelled at by partners at my job, which creates additional stress. Why couldn't I have just been laid off?

I just hit two years in my current job, and its become so simple that I'm getting stressed out over it being too easy.

redfred22

Postby redfred22 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:16 am

Did this test but in separate timed sections, not all at once. I did section 1 by itself, then section 2 and 3, and section 4 will be tonight. Working full time makes it hard to do a full one in the evening.

I've found that I'm so much better when I'm sitting at a nice table in a semi-comfortable chair in a well-lit room. I did section 2LG and section 3LR while sitting in a dim room in an uncomfortable spot. Hopefully that helps prepare me for anything bad on test day, but my test center is pretty nice.

That LG section threw me off (I was a little thrown by the above mentioned dim room). Went back right after and was like, ahhh, what an idiot I am. Went -6 in the section between the last two games. Ran out of time on the last one and just wasn't making some key inferences on the last two games or I made them and then failed to put them to use properly. Those are good ones to learn from. Really finding how my mental state is when I perform well and when I don't perform at my peak will help prepare for test day as well.

For section 1LR, I went -0 --- my first -0 on LR. Hopefully I can get more of those going and do that on test day. I'd be happy with my average -2/-3, but -0 would be wonderful, and at least I know I can do it now. For section 3LR I went -3, and caught one of those mistakes during BR. The others I didn't mark for BR so I didn't review them before checking answers. Both of those were ones I could/should have gotten right anyway. The combination of getting better at LR and being able to answer easier questions extremely quickly coupled with the strategy of just skipping difficult questions has allowed me to get to the end of the section with over 5 minutes to spare and go back to the difficult ones to verify my answer and/or give it a second, deeper look.

Does anyone else take tests straight out of the book, or do most of you print out just that specific test? I have them in PDF and book, but find that when I take them in the big bulky book I get thrown a little, especially LG. Having a thin booklet makes it much easier to draw stuff out IMO.

This close to test day and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm remaining relatively calm and with little pressure. If only there were a couple more weeks than whats left, I'd be able to get in more PTs. But I think everyone always wishes there was just a little more time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”