30+
2%
35+
27%

Total votes: 121

southerntexan

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby southerntexan » Sat May 23, 2015 7:13 pm

First Diag after a year; 156. A little rusty but really looking forward to improve this summer. Im going to quickly go through the bibles because Ive already taken the test and then drill baby, drill.

LG: -7
LR1: -8
LR2: -5
RC: -8

I'm working full time and I'm curious to when everyone is studying during the day? Do more people have better luck in the morning before work or after work?

Runner1218

Postby Runner1218 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:50 pm

southerntexan wrote:First Diag after a year; 156. A little rusty but really looking forward to improve this summer. Im going to quickly go through the bibles because Ive already taken the test and then drill baby, drill.

LG: -7
LR1: -8
LR2: -5
RC: -8

I'm working full time and I'm curious to when everyone is studying during the day? Do more people have better luck in the morning before work or after work?

You should try and replicate the actual test taking experience. So thus, study in the mornings. But honestly at this stage it's really more important to what caters to your best interest. Which means, does studying fit in the morning fit you best? Maybe try both once and see how it feels!

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Sat May 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Drilled 40 NA questions today (a mix of level 2, 3 and 4) and went -1. Pretty pumped about that.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:08 am

PrepTest 25

RC: -4
LR: -6
LG: -3
LR: -8
——

this PT had some really difficult LR questions, at least in my opinion.

I initially misinterpreted a rule in Game 2, "...with at least one tourist assigned to each guide...," which I initially thought meant: "at least one of the six tourists is assigned to all four guides." But it means: "all four guides get at least one tourist."

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:37 pm

19 weeks guys! My prepping restarts tomorrow. I think all my printed PTs are at my parents' house, but I'll start by going through the LGB again as well as rereading Manhattan LR but actually doing the exercises this time. Then it will be a couple PTs per week until October. I probably won't post many practice scores here because I've found that sharing your results isn't really helpful and can in fact be demotivating, but I'll be working alongside you guys.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sun May 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am, edited 7 times in total.

davey jones

Post removed.

Postby davey jones » Sun May 24, 2015 10:48 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by davey jones on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

davey jones

Post removed.

Postby davey jones » Mon May 25, 2015 2:20 am

Post removed.
Last edited by davey jones on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

pittsburghpirates

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 am

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:40 pm

gamerish wrote:Drilling main conclusion, point of disagreement, both types of method questions, both types of grouping games, and both types of assignment games today.

Inference LR questions and misc. game types tomorrow.

ETA: So a 5 minute game I did a few months back just took me almost 11 minutes to do... Thought I was past that kind of stuff, guess I was wrong.

Gamer, how has LG been for you overall? I'm going through the LGB again and I was wondering if you have any pointers. I feel like when I was drilling intensely I rapidly improved, but then I lost those skills almost as quickly once I stopped drilling.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:43 pm

sigh, I hate reading comp.

Just printed out parallel reasoning / flaw / SA packages, miss those the most often so plan on drilling.

Furthermore, going to drill RC like crazy pretty soon, I'm thinking to do individual passages from Cambridge for now to really get the technique down.

The amount I drilled games last time for my take was disgusting and still got -8 on the real thing LOL.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Mon May 25, 2015 7:05 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am, edited 7 times in total.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Mon May 25, 2015 7:35 pm

gamerish wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
gamerish wrote:Drilling main conclusion, point of disagreement, both types of method questions, both types of grouping games, and both types of assignment games today.

ETA: So a 5 minute game I did a few months back just took me almost 11 minutes to do... Thought I was past that kind of stuff, guess I was wrong.

Gamer, how has LG been for you overall? I'm going through the LGB again and I was wondering if you have any pointers. I feel like when I was drilling intensely I rapidly improved, but then I lost those skills almost as quickly once I stopped drilling.

I got nothing.

I'm just especially bad at in/out games for whatever reasons.

Are you solid with conditional logic?

flash21

Postby flash21 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:11 pm

gamerish wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:

I got nothing.

I'm just especially bad at in/out games for whatever reasons.

I think the key to in and out games is taking stock of whats left. Take stock of your items, and I feel like inferences kind of pop out a lot of the time, in addition to just running through your rules

redfred22

Postby redfred22 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Checking in. Long time lurker. Regular over at the LSAT and other law school subreddits. First take with really no study in Dec. of 2013 and escaped with a 157 (super lucky - I'm an idiot for taking it then). Been studying since September intending on taking it Dec., then Feb. Decided on a two year break between undergrad and law school. Got my hands on the Trainer and Manhattan LR earlier this year, have gone through them both now and done some drilling untimed. Now need to start into the timed phase while doing more drilling. Hoping this place will keep me in check and hopefully give me some good guidance on starting the timed portion of studying over the next couple months! Couple days off for the holiday weekend, back into it again this week.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:06 pm

In/Out games are actually probably my favorite because I know conditional logic like the back of my hand. I used to do them like regular grouping games (like the LGB says) and didn't do that well, but JY Ping showing me that your groups can just be true and false was a real game-changer and now they're fairly easy for me. But I still suck at more advanced grouping games and linear games, which use a completely different (visual/spatial) form of reasoning, in my opinion.

redfred22

Postby redfred22 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:25 pm

Drilled some necessary assumption and sufficient assumption/principle justify questions tonight from the earlier PTs. Something about older PTs just throws me off. I did well on the drills, but those older questions just throw me for a loop. Feel like when I do them, the stimulus is just so much longer and its harder to shed off some of the extra stuff to get to the essential elements of the core. Going from older to newer is like a breath of fresh air. From what I have heard, the older ones are wordier but the flaws are more formulaic/easier to see? It's definitely a subjective thing in terms of perceived difference between older and newer LR. Don't know how much I necessarily agree with the older being wordier but harder, but I feel much more comfortable on newer LRs than the older ones used for drills. Still great practice! More drills tomorrow and a little RC.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Tue May 26, 2015 11:45 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redfred22

Postby redfred22 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:51 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I'm doing really well on RC today. Went -1 on 34 and 35. It was untimed, but I didn't spend an outrageous amount of time on any passage or question. I will be transitioning into soft timed (i.e. keep the time and go expeditiously but don't stop when time runs out) tomorrow and probably do my first full practice test late this week or this weekend.

Let us know how things go in regards to the soft timing and then into regular timed. I'm at the point where I need to translate my good drilling into good results during timed conditions. Would really appreciate any advice on jumping into timed. For everyone: should I jump right on in to timed PTs or some sort of other timed practice as well that ISN'T just doing PTs?

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed May 27, 2015 12:39 am

Checking in. Was gonna take in June but chickened out since my LSAT month of PTs been hovering between 166-169. Got a 167 on the real thing back in February but I really wanna crack 170 badly and didn't feel like my chances of doing so would be great in June. I'm taking a short break for now and I'm a bit concerned that I'm running out of material for OCT. I did the Cambridge packets 1-20 and PTs 21-49 up to this point so I'm not sure how best to use the remaining material over the next few months. I got all the remaining tests and I think I'm gonna pick up the Superpreps hopefully soon/

TLurkerS

Postby TLurkerS » Wed May 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi, everyone, just checking in for the first time. I plan to be very active on the boards, and this board specifically. I just finished my undergrad degree, and I am about to quit my full-time job so that I can study for the LSAT full-time until the October test. I took a full-time (Business) job last year, and I have been pocketing over half of my earnings into savings since. I do not plan on working again until my law school summers, as I live frugally and have enough saved to last me until I leave. I may do some legal volunteer work, which I have done in the past during my UG career. While I realize four months of full-time studying is overkill, my goal is 180, or as close to that as I can manage. I know Yale/Stanford is off of the table, but H or CCN w/ $$$ is my goal.

I majored in History and International Relations at a large public Ohio UG, and have a bunch of average softs, ie student government, student orgs, volunteer work, etc. My LSAC GPA is kind of on the low side, 3.65. However, I plan on writing an addendum as all grades lower than an A were during post-secondary work when I was a 16-17 year old idiot and a semester that involved some seriously bad life events (think 4 Fs, even with the lower post-secondary grades, my LSAC GPA would be +3.88 without that semester). I plan on writing my PS about how some of the events and what I did after that changed me as an individual; I plan to complement my PS with a “Why…?” essay for every school which discusses my academic and intellectual interests in the law (with some school specifics). I also know I have excellent LOR from two people I worked on my +100 page Honors thesis with. My goal is legal academia, which is why I want Harvard so badly.

I have the LSAT Trainer, the LG Powerscore Bible, Cambridge Packets (questions divided by type for tests 1-39, LSAC Guide (for PTs A, B, C), Manhattan Guides, and all released PTs. My goal is to see every single released question for the LSAT before I take it. I am working off of my own revised version of Mike Kim’s LSAT Trainer 16 week study guide.

I know I am writing a novel here, albeit a E.L James-quality one, but I am ridiculously excited to start my LSAT studying. I live with my girlfriend and her two asshole cats. I am an avid Marvel, Star Wars, OSU (Nat Champs biatches!), Cavs, Browns, and GOT fan. When, I am not dicking off with friends, I am likely either reading or watching movies (also trying to get swole)

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Wed May 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Welcome to the suck. I really don't mean that, I love this test.

I have two very important questions for you:
What was your thesis about? (My major was pretty similar, so, yeah...)

And...
TLurkerS wrote:GOT fan.

Books or show?

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed May 27, 2015 5:22 pm

And...
TLurkerS wrote:GOT fan.

Books or show?[/quote]

Books >>>>>> Show
Not sure if it's helpful for Reading comp tho

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Just took PT 26 and I got another 164. Bleh. I am reviewing and I realize I am making silly mistakes. For example, I glanced at an answer choice and read "Central American," but the text clearly says, "Central African."

How is everyone doing? Happy Wednesday 8)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”