35+
27%

Total votes: 121

The Abyss

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:29 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:The fact that I already have 65k in student loans for a useless degree is my greatest motivation to study. If I don't get a good admissions outcome, I'll probably be poor for the rest of my life.

ETA for anyone who knows about this stuff:

What's the minimum admissions outcome that would give me a good chance at reaching zero net worth while I'm still in my twenties? Maybe full tuition at a T20?

Just a guess, but I would say a good scholarship at a t14. Check out some schools LRAP programs.

Yeah I'm praying I can snag a full tuition scholly from a lower T14.

EDing at Northwestern is a good option. If you are really debt adverse, it's a really low risk move. 150k scholarship with ED admission, 55% big law score, and Chicago is a great city. Seems like it would be a good option for you.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:31 pm

The Abyss wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:The fact that I already have 65k in student loans for a useless degree is my greatest motivation to study. If I don't get a good admissions outcome, I'll probably be poor for the rest of my life.

What's the minimum admissions outcome that would give me a good chance at reaching zero net worth while I'm still in my twenties? Maybe full tuition at a T20?

Just a guess, but I would say a good scholarship at a t14. Check out some schools LRAP programs.

EDing at Northwestern is a good option. If you are really debt adverse, it's a really low risk move. 150k scholarship with ED admission, 55% big law score, and Chicago is a great city. Seems like it would be a good option for you.

I'm a KJD though, and I thought Northwestern hated that.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:33 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
The Abyss wrote:

I'm a KJD though, and I thought Northwestern hated that.

Yeah, but it's still a low risk move for you.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:03 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I've found that as I increase my reading speed/ got rid of the subvocalzing I stopped getting bored with passages. I'm just not paying attention to subject as much as I am where things are so I don't get bored.

RZ I think the northwestern is a good option for you. I could also see Georgetown and cornell. Where you're testing though I doubt you'll have a hard time getting money somewhere.
ETA I think what's hard as well is just not being able to make money( at all or as much) while being in school. You'll still have things like rent and food that need to get paid. If you want to get to 0 net worth you'll have to have a pretty solid job lined up.

Yeah, if with a full tuition scholly, LS will still cost like 35k in living expenses, plus UG loan interest. I'm definitely going to look into Northwestern now, even though I hadn't really considered there before. Cornell seems like another great option because they have relatively low medians but fantastic placement.

Tycho

Postby Tycho » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Totally bombed my latest PT with a 164. My first one in a while. Although, I guess it's not so bad considering how unfocused I was during RC (almost dinner time) and the fact that I had to guess the entire last game (a circle game). Live and learn. I was pleased with my performance on LR, considering how little I've done with it recently, so there's a positive.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:35 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I've found that as I increase my reading speed/ got rid of the subvocalzing I stopped getting bored with passages. I'm just not paying attention to subject as much as I am where things are so I don't get bored.

RZ I think the northwestern is a good option for you. I could also see Georgetown and cornell. Where you're testing though I doubt you'll have a hard time getting money somewhere.
ETA I think what's hard as well is just not being able to make money( at all or as much) while being in school. You'll still have things like rent and food that need to get paid. If you want to get to 0 net worth you'll have to have a pretty solid job lined up.

Yeah, if with a full tuition scholly, LS will still cost like 35k in living expenses, plus UG loan interest. I'm definitely going to look into Northwestern now, even though I hadn't really considered there before. Cornell seems like another great option because they have relatively low medians but fantastic placement.

I have a hard time thinking that 35k will be adequate for COL in NY or Chicago. Michigan, UVA and Duke have the lowest COL.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 pm

Post removed...

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:58 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I was gunna go to the library, but then I decided I'd rather drink old fashioneds at home.
Maybe I'll do some games.

ETA: RZ, I was also gunna suggest UVA and Umich. Maybe even WUSTL or Minny, but honestly I have a hard time believing you won't get something T14

UVA and Michigan are low COL, high quality of life places.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I was gunna go to the library, but then I decided I'd rather drink old fashioneds at home.

ETA: RZ, I was also gunna suggest UVA and Umich. Maybe even WUSTL or Minny, but honestly I have a hard time believing you won't get something T14

WUSTL is definitely on my list because I've heard that they're very generous with money.

@Abyss: I think UVA has an in-state quota and Michigan's ranking is dropping fast because Detroit is a ghost town now. (Though admittedly I'd swim through acid for a full at either.)

pittsburghpirates

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:08 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Post removed...

pittsburghpirates

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:47 pm

RZ5646 wrote:

WUSTL is definitely on my list because I've heard that they're very generous with money.

@Abyss: I think UVA has an in-state quota and Michigan's ranking is dropping fast because Detroit is a ghost town now. (Though admittedly I'd swim through acid for a full at either.)

Detroit has nothing to do with this slight slip in rankings Michigan has experienced. Seriously lol @ that idea.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:52 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:Really considering purchasing 7sage's basic course, just something to watch and work through other than reading everything. It's 3 months so that would even last me until the December exam. Just not sure, any opinions on the online pre-recorded courses? I really want to get LR down, some sections I go -3 on and others I go -9. Manhattan has a course for just LR which is about 2.5x the cost of the basic 7sage course....

Anyways just thoughts and opinions are welcome, I know 1 month out taking a course from the start isn't ideal, but as I have said I will most likely take the December test too.

Me. I love 7sage games, but I wasn't impressed with a lot of the other stuff. It is a different way of learning though, compared to books, and I could see it work for a lot of people.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:54 pm

The Abyss wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:

Detroit has nothing to do with this slight slip in rankings Michigan has experienced. Seriously lol @ that idea.

I know Mich has been slipping for decades, but Detroit dies -> no Detroit jobs -> that many Mich grads struggle to find work -> Mich's metrics are hurt. (Idk if US News includes employment stats, but applicants do look at employment stats elsewhere and avoid schools with bad placement, indirectly hurting their numbers).

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:01 pm

Post removed...

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:18 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:

I know Mich has been slipping for decades, but Detroit dies -> no Detroit jobs -> that many Mich grads struggle to find work -> Mich's metrics are hurt. (Idk if US News includes employment stats, but applicants do look at employment stats elsewhere and avoid schools with bad placement, indirectly hurting their numbers).

Detroit has been dead for 50 years. I know this because I am from there. If anything Detroit's final blow occurred 20+ years ago with NAFTA. To pretend like Detroit has just died in wake of its bankruptcy is woefully ignorant of the situation. Yet here Michigan is, still in the t14.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:32 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:

Looking at law school transparency shows a 90% employment score for c/o 2014, (with 8.5% in school funded jobs, so eh). What's weird with that is that it's a pretty steep increase over previous years, showing a steady increase from 75%. It looks like NY, IL, and DC seem to be large draws for employment (NY takes 20% of grads).
If the collapse of Detroit were a problem them why are employment scores going up?
ATl, which uses an employment centered methodology to their rankings has U mich at 12, right behind NYU. For USNEWS U Mich has slipped from 9 to 11. I understand that Detroit used to be a big job market, but was it really a huge legal job market outside the auto industry? I always thought Chicago had that covered (genuinely asking I have no idea). Either way if I were to go to U Mich I wouldn't be staying in the Midwest after.

I am shocked that people think that the collapse of Detroit happened in the last decade.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:07 am

Just to be clear, I have no idea what I'm talking about re UMich and Detroit and am just speculating lol

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:14 am

Last edited by The Abyss on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”