Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ariaaaa » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:56 pm

bigv wrote:PT 41 - that circle game completely ruined me :shock:

I remember that one!! It was not fun :/

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:26 pm

ariaaaa wrote:

Anyone know of any good (and free) circle game explanations online?

MrBalloons

Postby MrBalloons » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:39 pm

seashell.economy wrote:
ariaaaa wrote:

http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat ... -2-game-4/

JY's assessment is probably worth noting, though. Mastering this game is important insomuch as you're mastering the process of making inferences, but the odds that you'll see a "circle game" in October are very, very slim.

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:44 pm

MrBalloons wrote:
seashell.economy wrote:
ariaaaa wrote:

http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat ... -2-game-4/

JY's assessment is probably worth noting, though. Mastering this game is important insomuch as you're mastering the process of making inferences, but the odds that you'll see a "circle game" in October are very, very slim.

Dear god, I hope you are right! I've learned to ace the LG section, and when I encountered this it threw me off.

Thanks for the link!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:Honestly I'm not really sure how long it takes me to read the passage as I've never timed myself that specifically before. I will say that I am usually right around 8 minutes per passage, and that a lot of the time I notice that I breeze through the questions pretty quickly. However a few times I've gotten caught up on a question and so in those cases I spent more time on the questions than on the passage - thats very rare though, and is something that can definitely slow you down. That's why I tend to make sure I understand the passage really well, so that I won't get tripped up on any questions for too long. Another thing that I do is do the passages backwards - starting from the fourth one and going back in reverse order. I do not subvocalize at all, I'm pretty sure that's something that can slow you down too.

But I strongly believe that reading dense material in my free time outside of LSAT studying has helped make my RC much more consistent. So I would really recommend that.

i read in one of the guides that people overestimate how much time they take to read the passage in rc unless they specifically note down the time to do so. that may well be the case with you, may be you're just a natural at rc and a fast reader. if you do really spend more time on the passage than questions then you probably are spending over 4 mins on the passage and under 4 mins for 7 questions is blazing with perfect accuracy.

when you're initially reading the passage do you have to reread some sentences in case you read it and it somehow doesn't register? do you go back to understand and re-read it before moving on to the next sentence or you sort of keep reading forward believing the later part would resolve or explain it?

i subvocalize and some say it's good for rc as it makes one comprehend better whereas some others think it slows one down without any benefit. i don't know how one can't subvocalize though.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:15 pm

MrBalloons wrote:Wow. PT 61 got a 179. I'm floored.

RC: -1
LR1: -1
LG: -1
LR2: -0

great score! which ones you missed?

i took 61 LR/LG as sections recently.
lr1 -1 (1st pass 31:30 min)
lr2 -1 (1st pass 35:00)
lg -0 (1st pass 33:40 min)

still after all the drilling i can't get to do the first pass in LR within 26-28 min, it seems very hard to narrow this gap.

MrBalloons

Postby MrBalloons » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:10 am

appind wrote:
MrBalloons wrote:Wow. PT 61 got a 179. I'm floored.

RC: -1
LG: -1
LR2: -0

great score! which ones you missed?

i took 61 LR/LG as sections recently.
lr1 -1 (1st pass 31:30 min)
lr2 -1 (1st pass 35:00)
lg -0 (1st pass 33:40 min)

still after all the drilling i can't get to do the first pass in LR within 26-28 min, it seems very hard to narrow this gap.

I missed Q21 on RC. Had it down to A and E and went the wrong way.

Q23 on LR1 was a tricky Parallel Flaw question, which I still need to improve on. Put A, but it was basically an informed guess.

And somehow I missed Q2 on the LGs. I haven't gone back and redone the game yet, but 7sage says it was a 2/5 difficulty, so I'm sure it was just a careless error.

ETA: So it seems like there was only 1 question that really got me. Which is a good sign.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:37 am

gamerish wrote:Just took pt54. 166. So sick of this bullshit.

if it's lg that's bringing down the score, then know lg can always be improved. if rc, i'm just as clueless as drilling or anything doesn't seem to have an effect there.

GreekOmega12

Postby GreekOmega12 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:12 am

What's everyone's favorite RC genre?

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:26 am

Post removed...

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:31 am

appind wrote:

if it's lg that's bringing down the score, then know lg can always be improved. if rc, i'm just as clueless as drilling or anything doesn't seem to have an effect there.

Yeah focus on perfecting LR and LG, since these two sections make up 75 percent of the test and are improved through sheer volume of practice sections/questions. Think about it, if you can consistently get LG to -0 to -1, and each LR section to -2 to -3, then that allows for roughly -8 to -4 misses on RC alone for a 170+.

I found that my biggest gains have resulted from intense review and slow analytical dissection of the questions. Firstly, always look to why answers are wrong, and then vet for the right answer. If you come down to two answers that both seem equally right, then reread stimulus and questions, while looking for modifiers and the appropriate function of the question relative to answers. Don't look at which one of the two seem more right, but return to finding which one is wrong. Generally, I found when it comes down to two answers that both appear to be right, there is often a small subtle difference that distinguishes the right one from the wrong one.

If you treat RC like a longer extended version of inference/MBT LR questions, then it becomes much more doable. So read the inference chapters of LR guides along with the common flaws, and that will allow you to eliminate wrong answers in RC questions, because the rationale generally fit one of those flaw types. Eliminating wrong answers is the key to RC, because often the right answer is something so ambiguous it would nearly be impossible to pick that one out before going through the process of elimination. Hope that helps.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:37 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:38 am

New poll ideas? I'm thinking GPA

Dexter97

Postby Dexter97 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:38 am

Im going to take six section PTs every Saturday leading up to the exam to build endurance, PT 58 is the victim today :o

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:12 am

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:18 am

gamerish wrote:
appind wrote:

It's not LG in particular (though I did feel more confident about the LG section on this test than on any other and wound up going -2...). I lose the most points in LR but timing is my biggest difficulty. I always run out of time with 3-5 questions left in every section (besides LG usually).

I use bubble sheets when I take PT and if I actually stopped and put my pencil down when time was called, rather than bubble in the couple answers I don't have transferred over yet and fill in B for the ones I had to skip, I highly doubt my score would even break 160, which is obviously a huge problem when the real thing comes around.

At this point, I'm pretty much at a loss.

When you are going through a PT or section and then start to get hung up, have you ever just stopped the clock and tried to understand exactly what you are having trouble with? Or are you going through each question at a consistent pace but just not finishing in time? Speed and accuracy come from anticipation, and anticipation depends on the appropriate mental approach, which is only grasped through practice and review.

Pick up some of the Powerscore 'deconstructed' PTs or Blake Graeme's 'Hacking the LSAT'. The explanations can show you the right way to approach questions, and then after internalizing this, your anticipation of right/wrong answers will improve, along with your score and speed.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:44 pm

Did PT 67 this morning.

RC: -4
LG: -3
LR2: -4
Exp LR: -2 (I figured out it was exp 5 questions in, though)
Score: 169

LG I haven't studied (except PTs) since Nov, so I need to freshen up on those. LR2 I was just getting tired and over it. RC I had to deal with my dog half way through, so it messed up my groove, but still finished them all in time.

This is actually my highest PT, so I'm pretty happy with my progress. Hopefully i can gain a few more points by Oct.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Post removed...

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:50 pm

gamerish wrote:
Op_Diom wrote:
gamerish wrote:
appind wrote:

It's not LG in particular (though I did feel more confident about the LG section on this test than on any other and wound up going -2...). I lose the most points in LR but timing is my biggest difficulty. I always run out of time with 3-5 questions left in every section (besides LG usually).

I use bubble sheets when I take PT and if I actually stopped and put my pencil down when time was called, rather than bubble in the couple answers I don't have transferred over yet and fill in B for the ones I had to skip, I highly doubt my score would even break 160, which is obviously a huge problem when the real thing comes around.

At this point, I'm pretty much at a loss.

When you are going through a PT or section and then start to get hung up, have you ever just stopped the clock and tried to understand exactly what you are having trouble with? Or are you going through each question at a consistent pace but just not finishing in time? Speed and accuracy come from anticipation, and anticipation depends on the appropriate mental approach, which is only grasped through practice and review.

Pick up some of the Powerscore 'deconstructed' PTs or Blake Graeme's 'Hacking the LSAT'. The explanations can show you the right way to approach questions, and then after internalizing this, your anticipation of right/wrong answers will improve, along with your score and speed.

My pace is pretty consistent. I usually get to question 19 or 20 before the 28 minute mark and then get hung up there and run out of time.

I've already read the Manhattan LR book and the LSAT Trainer. Does the Grame book offer anything they don't?

I'm using the Graeme book to review my PT from today, so I'll let you know if it helps. I flipped through and liked it. For LR it lists q type, conclusion/principle, reasoning, analysis, and then why each AC is incorrect/correct. For RC it lists paragraph summaries, a decent sized analysis, a discussion on each question, and why each AC is incorrect/correct

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:58 pm

with lr timing what helped me was to not keep on eliminating choices once i was confident of an answer. this typically occurs in mbt questions or flaw, justify questions etc. the answer choices are supposed to not make sense because they are wrong and trying to understand what they say sometimes can get you hung up. i was almost not finishing on time before and now have typically 1-3 mins at the end.

rembrandt1

Postby rembrandt1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:11 pm

I had a few questions about my current prep and figured the answers might be helpful for some of the other retakers out there. Long story short I have been "flirting" with the LSAT for about a year now. I took a prep course last fall, bought the LSAT Trainer, took the 7sage course, canceled my feb score, and then grossly underperformed in June (164). That leaves me studying for October with my 3rd and final LSAT try with the high hopes of getting into a top 5 law school. I have taken pretty much every recent LSAT (2000 and up) and score on my PTS generally range anywhere from 171-177. With 6 weeks left I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what to do to be in peak performance for October 3rd. I also am curious what sort of time you think I should be putting in on a daily or weekly basis to avoid burnout but still improve my skills and stay fresh. My current plan was to review the 7sage course and the LSAT Trainer, train flash cards, do a couple of sections with BR every day, and take a PT on Saturdays. I was also thinking about taking sections and tests with a 30 or 32 minutes time frame in order to challenge myself. I also have considered taking 2PTs back to back to build stamina. Any thoughts?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”