The Official October 2015 Study Group

How many PTs have you done? (timed)

0+
5
4%
5+
12
10%
10+
25
21%
15+
14
12%
20+
20
17%
25+
9
7%
30+
3
2%
35+
33
27%
 
Total votes: 121

User avatar
fips tedora
Posts: 3751
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby fips tedora » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:46 pm

curry1 wrote:When does the LSAT generally start/when do people usually arrive to the testing center?

Arrive no later than 8:25, because everyone has to be there no later than 8:30. I would show up 15 minutes beforehand to do an easy game and a couple LR to warm up. Then, rock a piss, say a prayer, set your watch, and get your shine on.

Egzon
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Egzon » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:35 pm

I really need some advice on RC: I get an answer wrong but immediately when I check, I see how wrong the answer was, usually because it goes too far (too extreme). How do you guys avoid that?

Also, what would be a good score to be at if one wanted to get 170+ in October?

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Egzon wrote:Also, what would be a good score to be at if one wanted to get 170+ in October?


Probably would want to be scoring north of 165 right now. It depends on how much prep you've already done, though.

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby PoopNpants » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:41 pm

The Abyss wrote:
Egzon wrote:Also, what would be a good score to be at if one wanted to get 170+ in October?


Probably would want to be scoring north of 165 right now. It depends on how much prep you've already done, though.


I'd say it depends on how you are doing per section. Half the test is LR, so if your scoring like -2/3 LR currently and doing decent on RC -4/5 now, I think you could definitely break 170 in 7 weeks. I think to break a 170 typically on most LSATs you can't get more than -10/11 wrong

Egzon
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Egzon » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Thank guys.

My RC is just really inconsistent. I drilled about 4 sections today and the range was -3 to -7(!). So, I don't really know what to do with RC since I've been studying for about 6-7 months, albeit on and off.

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby PoopNpants » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Egzon wrote:Thank guys.

My RC is just really inconsistent. I drilled about 4 sections today and the range was -3 to -7(!). So, I don't really know what to do with RC since I've been studying for about 6-7 months, albeit on and off.


Yeah I'm about the same too. I got real good at LR/RC but I never went -0 or even -2 on a PT. I think that on test-day I'll just try my best on RC but try to get damn near perfect on LR/LG. that way I can go like -4/-5 and still get a great score.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:07 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:Very nice score, RZ! How much did you end up warming up beforehand? In my opinion, btw, the newer reading comps aren't any tougher than the older. Sections from 2007+ have the comparative passages though, so if you haven't seen those before its definitely worth it to practice them a bit. But yeah I would agree with others that you are looking pretty golden for a 177+.


For my warmup, I ended up doing a little from each section: I think 2 pages of LR, an RC passage, and the last two games from the Cambridge pattern packet I had left over from the day before. Seemed to work well enough, though in the future I'll try to use easy to medium linear and grouping games instead.

User avatar
ariaaaa
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ariaaaa » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:13 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:Speaking of fee waivers, is anyone here planning on emailing looking for some fee waivers right after getting the October scores in? Or is it worth the money to just send the apps in immediately?


Also visited the Cambridge site, you can still add the PDF downloads to your cart, has something changed? I don't see a message or anything on their pages.... Front page still says "The original, and still the premier site for downloading Official LSAT PrepTests."


idk, but it's worth checking if there's a Law School Forum held near you, I've heard that it tends to be a good way to get fee waivers.

User avatar
ariaaaa
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ariaaaa » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Also, I need to figure out how Logic Games work or something, took PT 42 today and ran out of time on LG and guessed the last 4. Otherwise, went -3 on the first LR, -2 on the second, and -3 on RC.

:cry:

User avatar
MrBalloons
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby MrBalloons » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:02 pm

ariaaaa wrote:Also, I need to figure out how Logic Games work or something, took PT 42 today and ran out of time on LG and guessed the last 4. Otherwise, went -3 on the first LR, -2 on the second, and -3 on RC.

:cry:

I know the feeling.

I hesitate to say "this was me" because I'm not totally sure that it isn't still me. I've gone -2 and -3 on my last two PT LG sections (which is a big step up for me) and have been doing better in drilling. So if I actually have upped my game, I'd just say keep working. Improvement just kinda happens.

npt2901
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby npt2901 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:37 pm

had the zones LG. honestly this game is worse than dinos and stained glass and on par with snakes and lizards. actually I think it may be the worst. ugh nothing is worse than not killing your best section.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:48 pm

npt2901 wrote:had the zones LG. honestly this game is worse than dinos and stained glass and on par with snakes and lizards. actually I think it may be the worst. ugh nothing is worse than not killing your best section.


Airplane detection zones? I just did that one and I actually liked it. But I did it by drawing venn diagrams; if I'd tried to use the usual tools it would have been impossible.

User avatar
GauchoMarx
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby GauchoMarx » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Took PT 69 a couple days ago:

LR1 -1
LG -0
RC -0
LG2 -3

177.

Second PT this time around and a nice 10 point jump from my last PT. I start work soon so my studying is sure to take a bit of a hit, but gotta make those monies. And I was working full time in the months leading up to test the first time I took it, and I found that it made me more efficient with my study time.

User avatar
a_parm
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby a_parm » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Been scoring high 150s past few PTs. Took June 07 today and scored a 148. Totally messed up on the LG (-10) :cry:

User avatar
Talarose
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:11 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Talarose » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:55 pm

How much studying have I actually done in that time? Honestly not nearly as much as I should have, maybe 1-2 months of serious prep in total. I didn't start prepping until last summer (and even then in only a very undisciplined manner), and then life would always get in the way, or I'd take a PT, get a score I considered satisfactory, and decide that I could put off studying for another few months. But of course with the test only ~50 days away, that's no longer an option.


So how much would you say you have truly focused on hardcore studying? I'm in the same boat as you starting score wise and I've been drilling LR for 3 weeks. I plan on taking a timed test Monday to see where I'm at.

User avatar
MrBalloons
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby MrBalloons » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:10 pm

a_parm wrote:Been scoring high 150s past few PTs. Took June 07 today and scored a 148. Totally messed up on the LG (-10) :cry:

Yikes.

What's your goal for October?

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
a_parm
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby a_parm » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:40 pm

MrBalloons wrote:
a_parm wrote:Been scoring high 150s past few PTs. Took June 07 today and scored a 148. Totally messed up on the LG (-10) :cry:

Yikes.

What's your goal for October?



165.

Took the test at free proctored center. Just attempted the LG section again at home; understood everything and completed all 4 under time limit with -0.

User avatar
MrBalloons
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby MrBalloons » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:59 pm

a_parm wrote:
MrBalloons wrote:
a_parm wrote:Been scoring high 150s past few PTs. Took June 07 today and scored a 148. Totally messed up on the LG (-10) :cry:

Yikes.

What's your goal for October?



165.

Took the test at free proctored center. Just attempted the LG section again at home; understood everything and completed all 4 under time limit with -0.

Well, that's a good sign.

Continued full timed PTs may be in order then. Think you've got an endurance problem?

pittsburghpirates
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 am

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Talarose wrote:
How much studying have I actually done in that time? Honestly not nearly as much as I should have, maybe 1-2 months of serious prep in total. I didn't start prepping until last summer (and even then in only a very undisciplined manner), and then life would always get in the way, or I'd take a PT, get a score I considered satisfactory, and decide that I could put off studying for another few months. But of course with the test only ~50 days away, that's no longer an option.


So how much would you say you have truly focused on hardcore studying? I'm in the same boat as you starting score wise and I've been drilling LR for 3 weeks. I plan on taking a timed test Monday to see where I'm at.


That was my 1-2 months estimate, defining "serious" or "hardcore" prep as actually focusing on the LSAT 6+ hours per day like some of these TLSers with superhuman discipline apparently do. And I mean 1-2 months worth of serious prep; in reality, I don't think I've ever done more than 4 hours of work in a single day. The rest of the time has been 1-3 hours of prep book reading or drilling, or doing absolutely nothing, with emphasis on the latter lol.

I can't really estimate my time more precisely. I've read the Superprep (intro only), LGB (twice), Manhattan LR, and some of the LRB and the LSAT Trainer. I've spent considerable time on LG drilling, doing the LGB games several times, going through the Cambridge packets once, and drilling other games from early PTs, but I've drilled probably fewer than 5 LR and RC sections (each). I did do several PTs untimed, and I think that was helpful.

User avatar
MrBalloons
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby MrBalloons » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:49 pm

RZ5646 wrote:What are your favorite nonfiction books? I need more reading material.

I meant to respond to this earlier.

Two books I've read lately and enjoyed that seemed pretty similar to some RC passages were Through the Language Glass by Guy Deutscher and The Shallows by Nicholas Carr. I'd recommend both.

I read a lot of non-fiction, so I'm sure I could come up with some more if I looked through my shelves.

User avatar
kbrizz
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby kbrizz » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:03 pm

My panic/anxiety over this test finally made me crack and I enrolled in 7Sage's Starter course, mostly for a schedule to keep me on track. It has me on 30 + hours a week, but I'm feeling so much better and so much more committed now. Plus, JY just knows how to make me understand concepts.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:09 pm

MrBalloons wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:What are your favorite nonfiction books? I need more reading material.

I meant to respond to this earlier.

Two books I've read lately and enjoyed that seemed pretty similar to some RC passages were Through the Language Glass by Guy Deutscher and The Shallows by Nicholas Carr. I'd recommend both.

I read a lot of non-fiction, so I'm sure I could come up with some more if I looked through my shelves.


I've read some of Carr's essays on technology and society, so I'll have to check that out. I recently downloaded Who Owns the Future, which might be about a similar topic.

User avatar
GreekOmega12
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby GreekOmega12 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:26 pm

Any advice on how to be mentally ready for an 8:30 AM LSAT administration? All my classes since I've been in UG were after 10:30 am and my previous LSAT was in June so the test wasn't until noon. I'm really not a morning person (or at least I don't think I am) how do I prepare myself for the October LSAT? I don't want me not being mentally awoke to be the reason I don't achieve the score I want.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Alexandros, dontsaywhatyoumean, DumbHollywoodActor, Tazewell, UVA2B and 13 guests