The Official October 2015 Study Group

How many PTs have you done? (timed)

0+
5
4%
5+
12
10%
10+
25
21%
15+
14
12%
20+
20
17%
25+
9
7%
30+
3
2%
35+
33
27%
 
Total votes: 121

User avatar
MrBalloons
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby MrBalloons » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:So I do taste testing sometimes, just got interviewed for one.


"Would you be willing to try maté tea?"

My first thought was "I hear its really popular in Uruguay".

June 2015, still haunting me.

Don't even remind me.

My worst LR performance in my LSAT career was on that section for some reason. It's really a shame since I didn't bomb the games like I thought at the time. Just an average LR performance and I wouldn't be retaking.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ETA: no, actually, do remind me. There's no way I'll bomb an LR in October the way I did in June. That reminds me that I've actually made some progress, which is cool. I don't think my progress will really sink in, though, until I break my 172 threshold.

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:49 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:Gotta find time to squeeze in a PT this weekend... Thinking maybe Sunday afternoon. PT 64's on the docket


I'm taking PT 64 as well this well weekend.

User avatar
SirArthurDayne
Posts: 2684
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:52 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:I'm having an incredibly difficult time improving my speed on RC. I can't seem to be able to cut down on passage time without it affecting my performance. Anyone one have suggestions for what I could do to ameliorate this problem?


While reading the passage do you find yourself having to reread parts because you're kind of tuning out while reading?

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:58 pm

The Abyss wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:I'm having an incredibly difficult time improving my speed on RC. I can't seem to be able to cut down on passage time without it affecting my performance. Anyone one have suggestions for what I could do to ameliorate this problem?


While reading the passage do you find yourself having to reread parts because you're kind of tuning out while reading?


I read once that if you get bored while reading the passage you're fucked, and that seems true. You must make an effort to stay engaged the whole time because it's so easy to just pass your eyes over the words without actually processing anything.

User avatar
SirArthurDayne
Posts: 2684
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:I'm having an incredibly difficult time improving my speed on RC. I can't seem to be able to cut down on passage time without it affecting my performance. Anyone one have suggestions for what I could do to ameliorate this problem?


While reading the passage do you find yourself having to reread parts because you're kind of tuning out while reading?


I read once that if you get bored while reading the passage you're fucked, and that seems true. You must make an effort to stay engaged the whole time because it's so easy to just pass your eyes over the words without actually processing anything.


Yeah, I went from -5 or so to pretty consistently going -1/-2 just by trying my damnedest to stay engaged and interested in the passage. The humanities passages are by far the most difficult to do this with. They are always about some obscure subgenre of literature that I couldn't give two fucks about.

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:14 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:I'm having an incredibly difficult time improving my speed on RC. I can't seem to be able to cut down on passage time without it affecting my performance. Anyone one have suggestions for what I could do to ameliorate this problem?


While reading the passage do you find yourself having to reread parts because you're kind of tuning out while reading?


I don't think it's as much to do with tuning out as it is rereading or slowing down on certain parts to actually comprehend the information. I've never been a great reader, partly because English is my second language. I can typically end up finishing the passage in about 3:30-4:00 minutes, but when I get to an extremely difficult passage I end up panicking because Im racing to finish on time. One thing that really irritates me is that I spend so much more time than average on the questions that I end up getting wrong; the ones that I end up going back and forth on.

LG has really been going great, as I'm currently missing around 0-2, and I average -4 on LR, but I know I can still improve on some of the questions giving me a hard time. RC is really what's holding me back. On some sections I can go -4, and on others I miss up to 8!


Idk I rarely slow down to fully comprehend the difficult parts, because they are usually just there to trip you up. If a question refers to that section I remember where it is, but I don't think completely understanding a difficult section of a passage is that important. Remembering where that information is located more important than spending time trying to digest the information, IMO. So many of the questions are about structure and tone, that if you can just remember where the details are located you should be alright.

User avatar
MrBalloons
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby MrBalloons » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:15 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:I'm having an incredibly difficult time improving my speed on RC. I can't seem to be able to cut down on passage time without it affecting my performance. Anyone one have suggestions for what I could do to ameliorate this problem?


While reading the passage do you find yourself having to reread parts because you're kind of tuning out while reading?


I don't think it's as much to do with tuning out as it is rereading or slowing down on certain parts to actually comprehend the information. I've never been a great reader, partly because English is my second language. I can typically end up finishing the passage in about 3:30-4:00 minutes, but when I get to an extremely difficult passage I end up panicking because Im racing to finish on time. One thing that really irritates me is that I spend so much more time than average on the questions that I end up getting wrong; the ones that I end up going back and forth on.

LG has really been going great, as I'm currently missing around 0-2, and I average -4 on LR, but I know I can still improve on some of the questions giving me a hard time. RC is really what's holding me back. On some sections I can go -4, and on others I miss up to 8!

First off, congrats on the success in the other sections.

It really sounds like as much as anything you're wigging yourself out on the RC. Do you go -0ish untimed? If so I'd just say keep practicing because I'd be willing to bet you'll speed up.

User avatar
MrBalloons
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby MrBalloons » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:23 pm

The Abyss wrote:Idk I rarely slow down to fully comprehend the difficult parts, because they are usually just there to trip you up. If a question refers to that section I remember where it is, but I don't think completely understanding a difficult section of a passage is that important. Remembering where that information is located more important than spending time trying to digest the information, IMO. So many of the questions are about structure and tone, that if you can just remember where the details are located you should be alright.

Also, this. I do this almost exclusively and am sitting at a 91% in RC according to 7sage, so it can work pretty well.

I read essentially for enjoyment looking for themes, conclusions, and viewpoints.

User avatar
fishpaste1
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Post removed.

Postby fishpaste1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by fishpaste1 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

IdiotWind
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby IdiotWind » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:58 pm

On PT 1, Sec. 3 (LR), Q 25, can anyone explain to me why the answer is A and not E? How is it possible that Shannon and Jorge would both agree on an answer for E? It contains the sufficient conditions explicitly stated by Jorge while concluding in favor of Shannon. How is A a more disagreeable scenario than E?

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:59 pm

fishpaste1 wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:I'm having an incredibly difficult time improving my speed on RC. I can't seem to be able to cut down on passage time without it affecting my performance. Anyone one have suggestions for what I could do to ameliorate this problem?


While reading the passage do you find yourself having to reread parts because you're kind of tuning out while reading?


I don't think it's as much to do with tuning out as it is rereading or slowing down on certain parts to actually comprehend the information. I've never been a great reader, partly because English is my second language. I can typically end up finishing the passage in about 3:30-4:00 minutes, but when I get to an extremely difficult passage I end up panicking because Im racing to finish on time. One thing that really irritates me is that I spend so much more time than average on the questions that I end up getting wrong; the ones that I end up going back and forth on.

LG has really been going great, as I'm currently missing around 0-2, and I average -4 on LR, but I know I can still improve on some of the questions giving me a hard time. RC is really what's holding me back. On some sections I can go -4, and on others I miss up to 8!


Your issues sound almost identical to mine. I typically go -3ish on LR, -0/1 in LG but RC varies from -4 to -9. At first I figured I just needed to keep doing timed passages and that my scores/speed would increase eventually, like they did in LR and LG. Unfortunately, after approximately two months of this thinking, I realized that I'm going to HAVE to do something different, because what I'm doing is just not working. Like others have said, staying engaged is the first thing I would recommend. I realized that I was much more passive in attacking the questions in RC than I was in LR and LG. Additionally, would you say that you're reading for structure? I realize that EVERYONE says this, but it really is the truth. I always thought I was reading for structure, but once I forced myself to re-evaluate how I was reading the passages, I realized that I was still getting hung up on far too many unnecessary details and not paying nearly enough attention to the structure of the passage. So, the past month or so, I've completely revamped my RC strategy. I started with doing un-timed passages exclusively. After each passage, I would stop and force myself to say outloud the significance of each paragraph in the passage. What role does each one play in the passage? Why is it included? I noticed immediately that I was able to answer some questions much faster. As I continued to do this, I also realized that I was able to finish the passages alot quicker. I would say that in the past I was reading difficult passages in around 3:30ish, now I never take more than 3 minutes on a passage. Finally, you just have to trust your gut when your hung up on two answers. Wasting 2 minutes deciding between two answers is going to add up at the end of the section. Once I started to trust my gut and my instincts, I was able to shave off a decent amount of time rather than waffling between 2 answers. The results have been slow coming, but I'm seeing progress. I no longer have RC sections where I miss 8 or 9. Worst case I'll miss 5. So, I'm not completely there yet, but with 50 days left I'm pretty hopeful that I can get down to -2/3. Hope that helps some!


This is good advice. Saying or writing down why the paragraph was included, plus the main point of each paragraph is a great way to drill RC passage I believe.

User avatar
SirArthurDayne
Posts: 2684
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:05 pm

IdiotWind wrote:On PT 1, Sec. 3 (LR), Q 25, can anyone explain to me why the answer is A and not E? How is it possible that Shannon and Jorge would both agree on an answer for E? It contains the sufficient conditions explicitly stated by Jorge while concluding in favor of Shannon. How is A a more disagreeable scenario than E?


Well, what is legally permissible is never discussed. Also, the central theme is ownership, so A says that the portrait it ugly so burn that mother, which Shanna would agree with but Jorge would disagree with.

User avatar
SirArthurDayne
Posts: 2684
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Post removed.

Postby SirArthurDayne » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Post removed...

Postby somethingElse » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:23 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:42 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:44 am

gamerish wrote:Final hours to buy stuff from Cambridge before they take it all down. I just bought the 5 most recent tests as 5 sections.


I bought 5 section versions of PT 74 and 75 earlier today. It's going to be very depressing to see how much better I score on 74 this time around, and I remember very little from that test.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:35 am

gamerish wrote:Final hours to buy stuff from Cambridge before they take it all down. I just bought the 5 most recent tests as 5 sections.


Will there be any option to buy the new PTs in PDF form, like from LSAC?

Though I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm not planning on using the latest tests for drilling, so book form is fine.

IdiotWind
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby IdiotWind » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:13 pm

The Abyss wrote:
IdiotWind wrote:On PT 1, Sec. 3 (LR), Q 25, can anyone explain to me why the answer is A and not E? How is it possible that Shannon and Jorge would both agree on an answer for E? It contains the sufficient conditions explicitly stated by Jorge while concluding in favor of Shannon. How is A a more disagreeable scenario than E?


Well, what is legally permissible is never discussed. Also, the central theme is ownership, so A says that the portrait it ugly so burn that mother, which Shanna would agree with but Jorge would disagree with.


Thanks! Normally I don't have any trouble seeing my mistake but this one was giving me trouble.

User avatar
Judgeasaurus_Rex
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:08 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Judgeasaurus_Rex » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Retakers,

What do you do when you encounter an old LR question (either from drilling or doing the PT in question previously) where you remember the answer? Do you still attempt to go through the process of analyzing stimulus, conclusion, premises, flaws, etc. or do you just select the answer you remember and move on, perhaps coming back to review it during BR?

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5012
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
PhiladelphiaCollins
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:31 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby PhiladelphiaCollins » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Broke 160 (162) for the first time today!! On the June 2010 (PT 60)

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ltowns1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:07 pm

PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:Broke 160 (162) for the first time today!! On the June 2010 (PT 60)



Awesome




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests