The Official October 2015 Study Group

How many PTs have you done? (timed)

0+
5
4%
5+
12
10%
10+
25
21%
15+
14
12%
20+
20
17%
25+
9
7%
30+
3
2%
35+
33
27%
 
Total votes: 121

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5006
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dominicanguy12
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby dominicanguy12 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:30 pm

sanibella wrote:
darthrevan92 wrote:For the people PT-ing in the 170s, are these fresh exams that you guys are taking or those that you have taken previously in during your studies?


Fresh PTs for me. Past five have been 177, 178, 177, 175, 175- a jump from the 171 immediately prior.


How the hell do people even get to this point :cry:

User avatar
ffamran
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ffamran » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:36 pm

dominicanguy12 wrote:
sanibella wrote:
darthrevan92 wrote:For the people PT-ing in the 170s, are these fresh exams that you guys are taking or those that you have taken previously in during your studies?


Fresh PTs for me. Past five have been 177, 178, 177, 175, 175- a jump from the 171 immediately prior.


How the hell do people even get to this point :cry:


For me, I just remembered things I kept getting wrong, and looked out for those when I wasn't sure what the answer was.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5006
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

bigv
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby bigv » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Secretjuly wrote:Could use some opinions *reposted this in the October one after putting it in the december one

I'm thinking about holding off on the LSAT in October and moving it to December due to a lack of studying as well as progress. beginning of June I took a diagnostic after reading about what each section was about and scored a 156. After following the 16 LSAT trainer schedule for a month I felt like I was making progress studying about 3 hours a day. Then, I went on vacation because of my birthday for a 4 days. Once I got home I left for a weekend to go to a music festival. Then I went to NYC for a few days for a concert. After I returned home it was in the last 10 days of July. However, I lost most of my drive to study being kicked out of that routine and took about till the end of July off. I started studying last Friday and did a lot of drilling over the weekend. I just did a practice test and I got a 156 still. This really scares me cause that means that I'm roughly where I started in terms of my process.

After this, I've been debating on moving my test till December and signing up for a 7sage online course because starting a course now might be too late for October. I feel like I'll be more inclined to stick to a schedule in an online course cause I'll have videos and stuff to watch instead of reading from a book and drilling.

Would anyone who is taking 7sage now comment about how your are finding the lessons,if its beneficial, and also about the differences about which course to take. (Ultimate, premium,starter). I have at my disposal the Ultimate Endurance Edition of the Cambridge Bundle. (separated by question and game type from Practice tests 1-38. It also has Pt 39-59 as exams and 60-70 as 5 section exams), The LSAT trainer, the LGB, and the 3 set book by manhattan LSAT.


I took testmasters in the Spring, dropped it halfway to self study, realized I wasn't going in the right direction, and finally signed up for 7Sage.

I'm already good with games so I pretty much zoomed through the course in like 10 days. My timing is MUCH better. I was lost on RC, I'm doing much better. 7Sage has changed the way I think about the LSAT. Given that you're still scoring in the 150's, I'd recommend it. I was in the same situation.

I must admit that I'm not a "book-learner", I couldn't sit there and pick up anything I read from the Trainer. I ended up handing it off to a friend. LG Bible really helped, LR Bible didn't.

7Sage's videos are great. After a while, I started to think and talk like him while doing the test. The course kept me concentrated.

Also, don't freak out. Confidence is key with the LSAT. If you doubt yourself, or worry about having to reschedule your test, you'll likely continue the path you're on.

PM me if you've got anymore questions about the course.

bigv
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby bigv » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:39 pm

MrBalloons wrote:
Doesthenamematter wrote:
MrBalloons wrote:PT'd 59 today.

172, (174 BR)

LG: -3
LR1: -3
LR2: -3
RC: -2

Did anybody else notice a bump in scores on 58 and 59 by chance? I want to make sure it's actually me doing better and not the test being oddly easier.

In any case, I'm glad that I at least identified every question I missed for blind review even if I didn't correct them all. Being able to accurately tell in real time which ones you might be missing has to be a good thing, I'd think.


is blind review just going through the test before scoring it and re-answering the questions you're unsure about to see if you can get it right without time constraints?

Exactly. You mark as you go if you're not 100% that you're right. Once you finish the test, you go back through and carefully look at each one you marked.

I've gotten better at the marking part, but I'm still too often inclined to pick my old answer when a second one's correct.


I print out a fresh copy for BR. Helps with not fooling myself in choosing the same wrong answer choice twice.

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Post removed...

Postby somethingElse » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:01 am

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

redfred22
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby redfred22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:20 am

So happy with my progress.

After taking in December 2013 without any real study and escaping with a high 150s score, I couldn't go to school with that poor effort on my mind.
Started to study last September for the December test and didn't really see much improvement. I was so annoyed and depressed with myself. I took a break for a while and came back toward the beginning of this year. Got the Trainer and Manhattan LR, worked hard on some good RC habits, and was drilling at around/above 90% correct. I was so nervous to do timed stuff.

Took PT 43 last week and scored a low 170s. LR had been giving me fits many months ago, getting only to question 18 or so and having horrible accuracy, but now I'm only missing around 2 per section, sometimes 1. It feels so good to get those results. LG has been pretty good too, but I need to get the -3 and -2 I've been getting down to a -0.

Took PT 44 earlier this week and missed 4 on LR combined, 3 on LG, and 7(!!) on RC. Damn, what a tough curve on that test, too. -10 for a 170. Ended up with a score between 166 and 167 (I'm assuming 166 because it was listed at 85 correct and 167 was listed at 87 correct while I got 86 correct). RC was a pain in the ass, and I screwed up on the third game BAD. Overall, I'm very happy with where I'm at in relation to October.

I think I'm going to review all of the questions thoroughly tonight and find some PTs that I have yet to see their RC to do some RC sections timed. If I can get that down a little bit more and improve a little more on LG, I think I can really aim high.

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:32 am

redfred22 wrote:So happy with my progress.

After taking in December 2013 without any real study and escaping with a high 150s score, I couldn't go to school with that poor effort on my mind.
Started to study last September for the December test and didn't really see much improvement. I was so annoyed and depressed with myself. I took a break for a while and came back toward the beginning of this year. Got the Trainer and Manhattan LR, worked hard on some good RC habits, and was drilling at around/above 90% correct. I was so nervous to do timed stuff.

Took PT 43 last week and scored a low 170s. LR had been giving me fits many months ago, getting only to question 18 or so and having horrible accuracy, but now I'm only missing around 2 per section, sometimes 1. It feels so good to get those results. LG has been pretty good too, but I need to get the -3 and -2 I've been getting down to a -0.

Took PT 44 earlier this week and missed 4 on LR combined, 3 on LG, and 7(!!) on RC. Damn, what a tough curve on that test, too. -10 for a 170. Ended up with a score between 166 and 167 (I'm assuming 166 because it was listed at 85 correct and 167 was listed at 87 correct while I got 86 correct). RC was a pain in the ass, and I screwed up on the third game BAD. Overall, I'm very happy with where I'm at in relation to October.

I think I'm going to review all of the questions thoroughly tonight and find some PTs that I have yet to see their RC to do some RC sections timed. If I can get that down a little bit more and improve a little more on LG, I think I can really aim high.


What did you do to get that LR score up? Just focus on ur weakness? I'm n that same range right now

redfred22
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby redfred22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:41 am

ltowns1 wrote:
redfred22 wrote:So happy with my progress.

After taking in December 2013 without any real study and escaping with a high 150s score, I couldn't go to school with that poor effort on my mind.
Started to study last September for the December test and didn't really see much improvement. I was so annoyed and depressed with myself. I took a break for a while and came back toward the beginning of this year. Got the Trainer and Manhattan LR, worked hard on some good RC habits, and was drilling at around/above 90% correct. I was so nervous to do timed stuff.

Took PT 43 last week and scored a low 170s. LR had been giving me fits many months ago, getting only to question 18 or so and having horrible accuracy, but now I'm only missing around 2 per section, sometimes 1. It feels so good to get those results. LG has been pretty good too, but I need to get the -3 and -2 I've been getting down to a -0.

Took PT 44 earlier this week and missed 4 on LR combined, 3 on LG, and 7(!!) on RC. Damn, what a tough curve on that test, too. -10 for a 170. Ended up with a score between 166 and 167 (I'm assuming 166 because it was listed at 85 correct and 167 was listed at 87 correct while I got 86 correct). RC was a pain in the ass, and I screwed up on the third game BAD. Overall, I'm very happy with where I'm at in relation to October.

I think I'm going to review all of the questions thoroughly tonight and find some PTs that I have yet to see their RC to do some RC sections timed. If I can get that down a little bit more and improve a little more on LG, I think I can really aim high.


What did you do to get that LR score up? Just focus on ur weakness? I'm n that same range right now


It was a long road. I struggled at first with really, really understanding logic. Once I got down how exactly the LSAT wants us to look at the logic on LR, I had to refine my approach. I went through the Trainer and Manhattan. Those helped me a ton with recognizing flaws and eliminating answer choices. For instance, I love inference questions (mbt, mss, etc). Drilling those helped a ton. With assumption family questions, I would frequently have difficulty with looking at the argument in the right way so that I could notice the flaw. It's like I wasn't reading with that debate/critical mindset. That's definitely something that I still have a little trouble with - getting into that mindset that almost every argument is flawed in some way. Idk if this will make sense, but for a while I would just look at an argument like, "Oh, hey, a claim with some premises. Why don't the premises guarantee the conclusion?" Something about that didn't click with me. Once I started to look at the arguments and say, "What is this person trying to convince me off, and what are the reasons for that? How could those reasons be TRUE but also not lead to the conclusion or maybe even the opposite of the conclusion?" For some reason putting it that way stuck with me and helped a ton. Of course it could be that I kept getting a ton of exposure (don't want to commit a correlation/causation error here), but that approach I think had it's share of helping.

But really, I think it was just a ton of exposure to questions. Both fresh questions during drills and going over questions I've seen multiple times. The patterns have begun to stick out. What specifically are you having trouble with in LR? Also, how is your RC? I have a good approach and kill it during untimed practice, but timed is a little tight for me. Looking to see if I can get some tips from others.

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:58 am

redfred22 wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:
redfred22 wrote:So happy with my progress.

After taking in December 2013 without any real study and escaping with a high 150s score, I couldn't go to school with that poor effort on my mind.
Started to study last September for the December test and didn't really see much improvement. I was so annoyed and depressed with myself. I took a break for a while and came back toward the beginning of this year. Got the Trainer and Manhattan LR, worked hard on some good RC habits, and was drilling at around/above 90% correct. I was so nervous to do timed stuff.

Took PT 43 last week and scored a low 170s. LR had been giving me fits many months ago, getting only to question 18 or so and having horrible accuracy, but now I'm only missing around 2 per section, sometimes 1. It feels so good to get those results. LG has been pretty good too, but I need to get the -3 and -2 I've been getting down to a -0.

Took PT 44 earlier this week and missed 4 on LR combined, 3 on LG, and 7(!!) on RC. Damn, what a tough curve on that test, too. -10 for a 170. Ended up with a score between 166 and 167 (I'm assuming 166 because it was listed at 85 correct and 167 was listed at 87 correct while I got 86 correct). RC was a pain in the ass, and I screwed up on the third game BAD. Overall, I'm very happy with where I'm at in relation to October.

I think I'm going to review all of the questions thoroughly tonight and find some PTs that I have yet to see their RC to do some RC sections timed. If I can get that down a little bit more and improve a little more on LG, I think I can really aim high.


What did you do to get that LR score up? Just focus on ur weakness? I'm n that same range right now


It was a long road. I struggled at first with really, really understanding logic. Once I got down how exactly the LSAT wants us to look at the logic on LR, I had to refine my approach. I went through the Trainer and Manhattan. Those helped me a ton with recognizing flaws and eliminating answer choices. For instance, I love inference questions (mbt, mss, etc). Drilling those helped a ton. With assumption family questions, I would frequently have difficulty with looking at the argument in the right way so that I could notice the flaw. It's like I wasn't reading with that debate/critical mindset. That's definitely something that I still have a little trouble with - getting into that mindset that almost every argument is flawed in some way. Idk if this will make sense, but for a while I would just look at an argument like, "Oh, hey, a claim with some premises. Why don't the premises guarantee the conclusion?" Something about that didn't click with me. Once I started to look at the arguments and say, "What is this person trying to convince me off, and what are the reasons for that? How could those reasons be TRUE but also not lead to the conclusion or maybe even the opposite of the conclusion?" For some reason putting it that way stuck with me and helped a ton. Of course it could be that I kept getting a ton of exposure (don't want to commit a correlation/causation error here), but that approach I think had it's share of helping.

But really, I think it was just a ton of exposure to questions. Both fresh questions during drills and going over questions I've seen multiple times. The patterns have begun to stick out. What specifically are you having trouble with in LR? Also, how is your RC? I have a good approach and kill it during untimed practice, but timed is a little tight for me. Looking to see if I can get some tips from others.


Explanation, similar and flawed patterns. I haven't really focused on RC as much because I'm trying to get LR and LG down. I will be drilling RC this weekend for the first time in a few weeks. Ever since I've gotten Mahattan RC, it really has not been too bad for me. I thinks it's cause I'm really good and RC in general, and I'm good and reading for the structure of the entire passage

User avatar
Op_Diom
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Op_Diom » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:15 am

dominicanguy12 wrote:
sanibella wrote:
darthrevan92 wrote:For the people PT-ing in the 170s, are these fresh exams that you guys are taking or those that you have taken previously in during your studies?


Fresh PTs for me. Past five have been 177, 178, 177, 175, 175- a jump from the 171 immediately prior.


How the hell do people even get to this point :cry:


Roughly a year of regular, mild-type prep, plus roughly 6 months of intense prep with short intermittent breaks. Some might be able to get into the high 170's with 3-4 months of prep but what I am starting to realize is that such a score is more readily attainable with regard to one primary factor: time. Repeated exposure to questions, patterns and general tendencies over an extended period of time is the key to achieving a really high score. It's nearly impossible to cram for this test, if you are aiming for 170+ that is.

redfred22
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby redfred22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:22 am

ltowns1 wrote:
redfred22 wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:
redfred22 wrote:So happy with my progress.

After taking in December 2013 without any real study and escaping with a high 150s score, I couldn't go to school with that poor effort on my mind.
Started to study last September for the December test and didn't really see much improvement. I was so annoyed and depressed with myself. I took a break for a while and came back toward the beginning of this year. Got the Trainer and Manhattan LR, worked hard on some good RC habits, and was drilling at around/above 90% correct. I was so nervous to do timed stuff.

Took PT 43 last week and scored a low 170s. LR had been giving me fits many months ago, getting only to question 18 or so and having horrible accuracy, but now I'm only missing around 2 per section, sometimes 1. It feels so good to get those results. LG has been pretty good too, but I need to get the -3 and -2 I've been getting down to a -0.

Took PT 44 earlier this week and missed 4 on LR combined, 3 on LG, and 7(!!) on RC. Damn, what a tough curve on that test, too. -10 for a 170. Ended up with a score between 166 and 167 (I'm assuming 166 because it was listed at 85 correct and 167 was listed at 87 correct while I got 86 correct). RC was a pain in the ass, and I screwed up on the third game BAD. Overall, I'm very happy with where I'm at in relation to October.

I think I'm going to review all of the questions thoroughly tonight and find some PTs that I have yet to see their RC to do some RC sections timed. If I can get that down a little bit more and improve a little more on LG, I think I can really aim high.


What did you do to get that LR score up? Just focus on ur weakness? I'm n that same range right now


It was a long road. I struggled at first with really, really understanding logic. Once I got down how exactly the LSAT wants us to look at the logic on LR, I had to refine my approach. I went through the Trainer and Manhattan. Those helped me a ton with recognizing flaws and eliminating answer choices. For instance, I love inference questions (mbt, mss, etc). Drilling those helped a ton. With assumption family questions, I would frequently have difficulty with looking at the argument in the right way so that I could notice the flaw. It's like I wasn't reading with that debate/critical mindset. That's definitely something that I still have a little trouble with - getting into that mindset that almost every argument is flawed in some way. Idk if this will make sense, but for a while I would just look at an argument like, "Oh, hey, a claim with some premises. Why don't the premises guarantee the conclusion?" Something about that didn't click with me. Once I started to look at the arguments and say, "What is this person trying to convince me off, and what are the reasons for that? How could those reasons be TRUE but also not lead to the conclusion or maybe even the opposite of the conclusion?" For some reason putting it that way stuck with me and helped a ton. Of course it could be that I kept getting a ton of exposure (don't want to commit a correlation/causation error here), but that approach I think had it's share of helping.

But really, I think it was just a ton of exposure to questions. Both fresh questions during drills and going over questions I've seen multiple times. The patterns have begun to stick out. What specifically are you having trouble with in LR? Also, how is your RC? I have a good approach and kill it during untimed practice, but timed is a little tight for me. Looking to see if I can get some tips from others.


Explanation, similar and flawed patterns. I haven't really focused on RC as much because I'm trying to get LR and LG down. I will be drilling RC this weekend for the first time in a few weeks. Ever since I've gotten Mahattan RC, it really has not been too bad for me. I thinks it's cause I'm really good and RC in general, and I'm good and reading for the structure of the entire passage


For parallel reasoning questions (of both varieties), a lot of people endorse writing out the argument. I think that that works a lot of the time, but I've found it much easier to really zero in on the reasoning, understanding that reasoning, and understanding the flaw in that reasoning if it's a parallel flaw question. Then I can go into the answer choices with that understanding and generally narrow it down to two, at most three, and then be nitpicky. For explanation, that's a little bit tougher to explain. Normally what I do is what either the Trainer or Manhattan suggests (can't remember which) about finding which two things are in opposition and then putting how come at the beginning. For instance, an explain question that says "people in community X are much less likely to get disease A than community Y, but that they are more like to die from that disease A." I would say, "How come people in community X are less likely to get the disease but are morel likely to die from it?" "How come Country X spends a significant amount of money on emergency response services yet people suffer and/or die more frequently?" (They are in an area with A LOT of potential emergency situations/natural disasters.) So that's how I approach those.

Yeah, RC isn't the monster it used to be for me since I've been able to learn how to properly read for structure. I guess I just need more timed exposure.

redfred22
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby redfred22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:25 am

Op_Diom wrote:
dominicanguy12 wrote:
sanibella wrote:
darthrevan92 wrote:For the people PT-ing in the 170s, are these fresh exams that you guys are taking or those that you have taken previously in during your studies?


Fresh PTs for me. Past five have been 177, 178, 177, 175, 175- a jump from the 171 immediately prior.


How the hell do people even get to this point :cry:


Roughly a year of regular, mild-type prep, plus roughly 6 months of intense prep with short intermittent breaks. Some might be able to get into the high 170's with 3-4 months of prep but what I am starting to realize is that such a score is more readily attainable with regard to one primary factor: time. Repeated exposure to questions, patterns and general tendencies over an extended period of time is the key to achieving a really high score. It's nearly impossible to cram for this test, if you are aiming for 170+ that is.


I am a firm believer that constant studying is detrimental to reaching the ultimate goal of doing well. I think some people see quantity over quality. Well, maybe if I do a TON of flaw drills, and then a TON of strengthen, etc, etc., I'll get much better. Intense, extremely focused prep for a short amount of time with some breaks and etc in between is a good recipe for success. For others reading this, DON'T CONFUSE QUANTITY WITH QUALITY. And yes, while some can do very well with a few months prep, extending that out over the course of 6 or maybe even more months could potentially make a decent difference. I wish I had realized that sooner.

User avatar
Op_Diom
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Op_Diom » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:28 am

ltowns1 wrote:
redfred22 wrote:So happy with my progress.

After taking in December 2013 without any real study and escaping with a high 150s score, I couldn't go to school with that poor effort on my mind.
Started to study last September for the December test and didn't really see much improvement. I was so annoyed and depressed with myself. I took a break for a while and came back toward the beginning of this year. Got the Trainer and Manhattan LR, worked hard on some good RC habits, and was drilling at around/above 90% correct. I was so nervous to do timed stuff.

Took PT 43 last week and scored a low 170s. LR had been giving me fits many months ago, getting only to question 18 or so and having horrible accuracy, but now I'm only missing around 2 per section, sometimes 1. It feels so good to get those results. LG has been pretty good too, but I need to get the -3 and -2 I've been getting down to a -0.

Took PT 44 earlier this week and missed 4 on LR combined, 3 on LG, and 7(!!) on RC. Damn, what a tough curve on that test, too. -10 for a 170. Ended up with a score between 166 and 167 (I'm assuming 166 because it was listed at 85 correct and 167 was listed at 87 correct while I got 86 correct). RC was a pain in the ass, and I screwed up on the third game BAD. Overall, I'm very happy with where I'm at in relation to October.

I think I'm going to review all of the questions thoroughly tonight and find some PTs that I have yet to see their RC to do some RC sections timed. If I can get that down a little bit more and improve a little more on LG, I think I can really aim high.


What did you do to get that LR score up? Just focus on ur weakness? I'm n that same range right now


What has been a really big help to me is the program mindnode, along with typing up my own personal explanations, guides, analyses, general thoughts etc. in a word document. You can find a number of similar mindnode-like programs on the internet/app store, but essentially it is a organizational app that allows you to diagram concepts, ideas and data of all types. I basically set up a general diagram by labeling the argument core given in a stimulus, such as 'reasons/evidence' and then 'premise 1, 2, 3...' splitting off from that, along with the given conclusion and 'sufficient assumption, necessary assumption, weakening claim, strengthening claim, inference, etc.' I played around with that for a while trying to make it as accurate as possible in terms of the relationships between each component and the resulting validity, and now I feel like I have a much better grasp of the process needed to derive answers for each individual question stem. It really helps you with visualizing the arguments and relationships too. You can even do the same with reading comprehension and the most common argument types.

User avatar
Op_Diom
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Op_Diom » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 am

Also, I was just wondering if there was any truth to this but does anyone else feel like the older pre 50's pts have an inordinate amount of LR questions questions with two answers that appear to both be correct? I feel like I never hardly run into that problem in newer tests, but it happens 2-3 times in the older ones. Like I understand the potential impact a modifier, logical relationship, and functionality of the question and answer all can have on an AC being right/wrong, but there are several questions in each older test that seem like toss-ups.

Doesthenamematter
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Doesthenamematter » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:57 am

Tips on using the powerscore bibles please.

Go through them one at a time, or simultaneously?

did you guys drill after a few chapters of reading or what?

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Regarding study time:

There isn't really any one right answer here. There are people like TLS1776 who study pretty hard for a year and get 180, and other people who study for 3 weeks and get 180 (or close to it). Spending more time studying will improve your score, but you have to ask, when does the marginal benefit of additional study time stops being worth it.

I do think those people who study intensely for a year+ and gain 30+ points are probably somewhat misguided. At some point you're just learning how to game the test instead of developing real-world skills, and you'll have a rude awakening when you get to your dream school and have to compete with people who are probably naturally smarter than you are. If you had to study five times harder than your average classmate just to get into the school, how are you going to do on exams, where you don't have unlimited study time and 3 takes every 2 years?

ETA:
[+] Spoiler
Game 4 on PT 34
is pretty wild... it actually suggests an impossible situation. I caught it, but it definitely confused me for a second and I had to triple check my diagram.

User avatar
doublehoohopeful
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby doublehoohopeful » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:04 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I do think those people who study intensely for a year+ and gain 30+ points are probably somewhat misguided. At some point you're just learning how to game the test instead of developing real-world skills, and you'll have a rude awakening when you get to your dream school and have to compete with people who are probably naturally smarter than you are. If you had to study five times harder than your average classmate just to get into the school, how are you going to do on exams, where you don't have unlimited study time and 3 takes every 2 years?

There are so many problems with this, but lol in particular at bolded and anyone who asserts that they learn real life skills studying for the LSAT.

Addressing your TLS1776 example, his diagnostic was mid 160s and he went to a 180, a much more realistic jump than the one you're representing.

Studying for the LSAT is, by its very design, looking at previous material and learning the testmakers' expectations. There are so many variables going into this that it is irresponsible to make the statements you're making.

Regarding your point on the LSAT predicting 1L performance, according to LSAC, while there is some predictive value to your LSAT score and they have no way of knowing how much someone prepared for it, there is huge variance based on the school running the analysis (between .12 to .56 out of 1). Overall, the predictive validity of the LSAT is .36 out of 1. Hardly the picture you're painting with your post.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5006
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Post removed...

Postby somethingElse » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby PoopNpants » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:24 pm

51 days holy shit I'm freaking out

redfred22
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby redfred22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:30 pm

doublehoohopeful wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:I do think those people who study intensely for a year+ and gain 30+ points are probably somewhat misguided. At some point you're just learning how to game the test instead of developing real-world skills, and you'll have a rude awakening when you get to your dream school and have to compete with people who are probably naturally smarter than you are. If you had to study five times harder than your average classmate just to get into the school, how are you going to do on exams, where you don't have unlimited study time and 3 takes every 2 years?

There are so many problems with this, but lol in particular at bolded and anyone who asserts that they learn real life skills studying for the LSAT.

Addressing your TLS1776 example, his diagnostic was mid 160s and he went to a 180, a much more realistic jump than the one you're representing.

Studying for the LSAT is, by its very design, looking at previous material and learning the testmakers' expectations. There are so many variables going into this that it is irresponsible to make the statements you're making.

Regarding your point on the LSAT predicting 1L performance, according to LSAC, while there is some predictive value to your LSAT score and they have no way of knowing how much someone prepared for it, there is huge variance based on the school running the analysis (between .12 to .56 out of 1). Overall, the predictive validity of the LSAT is .36 out of 1. Hardly the picture you're painting with your post.


Yeah this is STOOPIDT.

User avatar
southerntexan
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby southerntexan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:33 pm

PoopNpants wrote:51 days holy shit I'm freaking out

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5006
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badhombre, bcapace, jdanz, VMars and 18 guests