35+
27%

Total votes: 121

Judgeasaurus_Rex

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby Judgeasaurus_Rex » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:06 pm

gamerish wrote:
MrBalloons wrote:
kbrizz wrote:When you guys drill LR, what do you do when you get a question wrong? How do you make sure you don't make the same mistake again? It's not like I can just watch some 7Sage, like with LG. :/

There's the Velocity videos to check out. But typically when I drill, I blind review and then do a non-blind review (knowing that what I selected is wrong, but not which of the other four is right) on the remaining misses. I'd only bother consulting the Velocity videos if I still can't figure out why the right answer's right.

How do you find out whether or not you got the answer wrong without looking at what the correct answer is? I have the Cambridge packets and they just list what the right answer is in the back.

I have a method for this.

First, there is a caveat...it only works for entire LSAT sections/prep tests. Second, you need to use the LSAT analytics with 7 sage.

Do a section, bubble in the answers on a scantron and open up an internet browser window and head over the the appropriate PT on the 7 sage "LSAT analytics" menu. Input your answers but DO NOT SCROLL DOWN. Open up a second internet browser window and condense it so that it is wide enough to cover the "Your answer" and "Answer choices" columns on the analytics screen that indicates your answer, your BR answer and the correct answer. Take the above mentioned second browser window and cover those two columns with it. You can then scroll down the screen on your main browser and see which answer choices were correct and which ones were not, without seeing the correct answer. It should be listed in the column that is second from the right ("Priority) whether you got the question right or wrong.

If this seems confusing, I can post a screenshot or two. Like I said, it will only work for full LSAT sections or PTs, so not the Cambridge packets.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:33 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:36 pm

MrBalloons wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Pretty aggravated with myself atm. I bought the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible, but then realized this one only gives you information and a breakdown of the types of questions. It does not give you drills.

Really? Like no drills at all?

Mine had a few throughout the chapter and a chunk at the end of each chapter. I didn't realize they had multiple versions.

Oh, mine has like 6 at the end of the chapter. I expected more. Maybe yours had more?

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:32 am, edited 7 times in total.

Judgeasaurus_Rex

Postby Judgeasaurus_Rex » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:lsatqa.com just tells you when you marked some thing wrong without showing the right answer. It also has tons of analytic stuffs. I've been using it to record all of my PTs and it's pretty useful. I love being able to go back and see all the ones I got wrong without seeing the right answer.
That PT48 curve is brutal. 94 for a 171. For some reason the games section just didn't click for me, everywhere else I was great.

How do the analytics compare to those on the 7 Sage site?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrBalloons

Postby MrBalloons » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:18 pm

gamerish wrote:
MrBalloons wrote:
kbrizz wrote:When you guys drill LR, what do you do when you get a question wrong? How do you make sure you don't make the same mistake again? It's not like I can just watch some 7Sage, like with LG. :/

There's the Velocity videos to check out. But typically when I drill, I blind review and then do a non-blind review (knowing that what I selected is wrong, but not which of the other four is right) on the remaining misses. I'd only bother consulting the Velocity videos if I still can't figure out why the right answer's right.

How do you find out whether or not you got the answer wrong without looking at what the correct answer is? I have the Cambridge packets and they just list what the right answer is in the back.

I just rely on my ability to forget letter sequences.

When I grade them with the Cambridge packet answers I just look at 1-5, for example, on the grading page, read "A, D, C, A, A" or whatever, flip to the questions and check my answers as quickly as possible without lingering on wrong ones. Just slash through the number and move on.

I typically grade groups of 20ish at a time, so the odds of me remembering the random letter sequence without any sort of referent to tie it to are slim. If I do feel like I may have remembered it (if I missed the last one, for example, and still have that last letter sequence echoing in my head) I just drop it for now, move on and find that, after seeing other questions, I've forgotten the right answer.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:47 pm

Starting fully timed Preptests (62-71) next week. I plan on doing five sections with alternating experimental sections of RC/LG to stay sharp. Two preptests a week, drilling LR untimed, and sections of LG/RC timed on the alternate days. Blind review the day after.

pittsburghpirates

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ffamran

Postby ffamran » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:31 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
npt2901 wrote:Full time working people-- how many PTs a week are you taking until test day?

Slash what does your schedule look like?

This is my third and final take so I was thinking a PT every Sat and then thorough review on Sunday and 1-2 sections (timed or untimed) per day with review. I am taking a few days off too so I can study.

Working full time really cuts into studying its ridiculous how tired my brain is after sitting for 8 hours doing nothing that even uses my brain.

But I'm planning on 1 PT a week through August, drilling and timed sections in between.

September will be early bed Fridays, up early on Saturdays simulating test day and taking timed 5 section exams in a variety of places with blind review same day and further review on Sundays. Timed sections each day with BR, and another 4 section PT at least once during the week.

At this point don't be surprised to see me in the December study group as well. *sigh*

Oh jeez i need to get used to an 8:30 test day... right now I'm used to waking up really groggy at like 10 x_x

darthrevan92

Postby darthrevan92 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:01 pm

For the people PT-ing in the 170s, are these fresh exams that you guys are taking or those that you have taken previously in during your studies?

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

MrBalloons

Postby MrBalloons » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:44 pm

gamerish wrote:How is this my third time doing this game and it still took me over 15 minutes (and I got a question wrong) when JY says it should only take 5 minutes...

Yeesh.

Is it an In/Out game? I've noticed JY tends to underestimate easiness and time on those.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:06 pm

Preptest 36 is notorious for games and definitely not the norm. Between the birds in the forest, and the fruit stand, it's a tough section.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:36 pm

fips tedora wrote:Preptest 36 is notorious for games and definitely not the norm. Between the birds in the forest, and the fruit stand, it's a tough section.

I think I know that one (pretty sure it's in the LGB). I hated it at first but I've come to love games like that because you just have this big tree of conditionals that you go back and forth on, which to me is way better than having to remember half a dozen unrelated rules at once.

Million dollar app idea: A PT grader that uses machine vision to automatically score your bubble sheet. Someone needs to make this. I've actually looked into doing it several times, but I don't really know anything about Android development (and Apple demands a $100 developer's license), my Java is rusty, and its hard to find machine vision libraries that will run on mobile.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:38 pm

darthrevan92 wrote:For the people PT-ing in the 170s, are these fresh exams that you guys are taking or those that you have taken previously in during your studies?

Fresh PTs for me. Past five have been 177, 178, 177, 175, 175- a jump from the 171 immediately prior.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:38 pm

I found the birds in the forest one to be tricky as well!

somethingElse

Post removed...

Postby somethingElse » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:38 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:Just curious though, why don't you put LR as an experimental?

I've found that doing LR for an experimental section is essentially cheating myself because I've seen most of the questions and predict the answers before even seeing the answer choices, whereas LG/RC is harder to internalize as such, plus they are more formulaic in their approaches, where sheer repetition increases skill.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doesthenamematter

Postby Doesthenamematter » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:52 am

How do you guys go about using the powerscore bibles, how far do you get through the books before you drill, and do you do one book at a time or jump between the three?

Secretjuly

Postby Secretjuly » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Could use some opinions *reposted this in the October one after putting it in the december one

I'm thinking about holding off on the LSAT in October and moving it to December due to a lack of studying as well as progress. beginning of June I took a diagnostic after reading about what each section was about and scored a 156. After following the 16 LSAT trainer schedule for a month I felt like I was making progress studying about 3 hours a day. Then, I went on vacation because of my birthday for a 4 days. Once I got home I left for a weekend to go to a music festival. Then I went to NYC for a few days for a concert. After I returned home it was in the last 10 days of July. However, I lost most of my drive to study being kicked out of that routine and took about till the end of July off. I started studying last Friday and did a lot of drilling over the weekend. I just did a practice test and I got a 156 still. This really scares me cause that means that I'm roughly where I started in terms of my process.

After this, I've been debating on moving my test till December and signing up for a 7sage online course because starting a course now might be too late for October. I feel like I'll be more inclined to stick to a schedule in an online course cause I'll have videos and stuff to watch instead of reading from a book and drilling.

Would anyone who is taking 7sage now comment about how your are finding the lessons,if its beneficial, and also about the differences about which course to take. (Ultimate, premium,starter). I have at my disposal the Ultimate Endurance Edition of the Cambridge Bundle. (separated by question and game type from Practice tests 1-38. It also has Pt 39-59 as exams and 60-70 as 5 section exams), The LSAT trainer, the LGB, and the 3 set book by manhattan LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”