30+
2%
35+
27%

Total votes: 121

BlindGuyMcSqueezy

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Postby BlindGuyMcSqueezy » Mon May 11, 2015 12:43 pm

georgie2006 wrote:Just out of curiosity, has everyone here finished college?

I'm finishing up UG over the summer.
Last edited by BlindGuyMcSqueezy on Mon May 11, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

practical cat

Postby practical cat » Mon May 11, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm three years out of undergrad, one out from my MA.

dea1990

Postby dea1990 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:28 pm

I have. Two years ago

bigv

Postby bigv » Mon May 11, 2015 2:34 pm

Still in my 3rd year of UG. Finally done with midterms, looking to get in a couple great weeks of studying before finals week, then going crazy with it all summer

dominicanguy12

Postby dominicanguy12 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Hello everyone, checking in!

One quick question:

I am buying the Powerscore bibles as well as the Cambridge packets. Will the questions in these packets come from the same PTs that I'll buy from LSAC? I don't want to buy the PT and then suddenly remember all of the answers because I already did them in the packets.

Does this happen?

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Mon May 11, 2015 3:19 pm

dominicanguy12 wrote:Hello everyone, checking in!

One quick question:

I am buying the Powerscore bibles as well as the Cambridge packets. Will the questions in these packets come from the same PTs that I'll buy from LSAC? I don't want to buy the PT and then suddenly remember all of the answers because I already did them in the packets.

Does this happen?

The Cambridge packets are from PTs 1-38 (it tells you the PTs in the description). So just buy PTs from LSAC that are newer than that and you'll be fine.

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Started the Manhattan RC Guide today. :D

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Mon May 11, 2015 4:18 pm

^It's a really good book

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Mon May 11, 2015 4:18 pm

^It's a really good book

chicharon

Post removed...

Postby chicharon » Mon May 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:48 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:28 pm

I've been writing down on a word document every question I get wrong (around 2-5 per section). I then spend 30mins-2hours reviewing it; checking my understanding with MLSAT forums, and then writing down my own analysis of what my thought process was, and why I was wrong. Then I write down the correct way to answer those questions. This has improved my understanding and I attribute my improvement to this method.

I've also assembled a list of vocab words, idioms, and phrases that I've encountered in PTs. By doing this I've realized that the vocab words, idioms, and phrases used in LSAT PTs recur again and again.

npt2901

Postby npt2901 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:03 am

georgie2006 wrote:I've been writing down on a word document every question I get wrong (around 2-5 per section). I then spend 30mins-2hours reviewing it; checking my understanding with MLSAT forums, and then writing down my own analysis of what my thought process was, and why I was wrong. Then I write down the correct way to answer those questions. This has improved my understanding and I attribute my improvement to this method.

I've also assembled a list of vocab words, idioms, and phrases that I've encountered in PTs. By doing this I've realized that the vocab words, idioms, and phrases used in LSAT PTs recur again and again.

Other resources I like using to check answers are Lsathacks.com and velocity LSAT vids for LR

DoYouEvenTLS

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Tue May 12, 2015 12:13 am

Checking in!

Actually started studying this morning.
I'm fortunate enough to have the LSAT Trainer, all 3 Powerscore bibles, and the ultimate Cambridge bundle.

My problem is that I don't really know how to use them cohesively. Additionally, I guess another problem I have is scheduling. Any tips?
Fwiw, I've had the bibles since last summer and read a few chapters of each...I found their contents to be much more easier to understand for beginners like myself than the LSAT trainer. Anybody else feel the same way?

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Tue May 12, 2015 8:26 am

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:Checking in!

Actually started studying this morning.
I'm fortunate enough to have the LSAT Trainer, all 3 Powerscore bibles, and the ultimate Cambridge bundle.

My problem is that I don't really know how to use them cohesively. Additionally, I guess another problem I have is scheduling. Any tips?
Fwiw, I've had the bibles since last summer and read a few chapters of each...I found their contents to be much more easier to understand for beginners like myself than the LSAT trainer. Anybody else feel the same way?

I would go through the books first, drilling lightly to reinforce each new question type. After covering Simple Sequencing games, for instance, do 6-8 of the games from the packet to solidify what you just learned. Once you finish the books, transition to strictly drilling. Gradually increase the amount you are drilling to increase your mental endurance. After a while of just drilling start incorporating some timed sections from PTs in the 40s to your studying. Finally, start doing 5 section PTs and blind reviewing them afterwards. Constantly drill with focus towards your weaknesses.

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:25 am

I signed up for the 7sage course, I'm complementing that with the Manhattan LR and RC guides, and the Cambridge LG Guide. I also have 1-38 all of Cambridge RC LR and LG to drill while I do the lessons. After I complete all that I will start taking preptests and reviewing them.

My initial plan was to take a test every week this month and next while doing all the work (learning the foundation etc) but my first diagnostic was a 163 :shock: :shock: and I spent all last week reviewing my preptest. It actually took a lot longer than I thought it would. So now the plan is to go through the work and when I feel more confidant and have a better grasp over the foundation, take another preptest maybe in a week or two. Thoughts??

Sidenote: I'm really liking the Manhattan RC Guide.. I also find I'm really internalizing the LSAT logic in my life.. not that I have much of one.. After finishing my MA abroad I'm living in this town in the middle of nowhere with my Mom until I find a job and study for the LSAT simultaneously :wink: :roll:

Pacman

Postby Pacman » Tue May 12, 2015 10:57 am

ngogirl12 wrote:I signed up for the 7sage course, I'm complementing that with the Manhattan LR and RC guides, and the Cambridge LG Guide. I also have 1-38 all of Cambridge RC LR and LG to drill while I do the lessons. After I complete all that I will start taking preptests and reviewing them.

My initial plan was to take a test every week this month and next while doing all the work (learning the foundation etc) but my first diagnostic was a 163 :shock: :shock: and I spent all last week reviewing my preptest. It actually took a lot longer than I thought it would. So now the plan is to go through the work and when I feel more confidant and have a better grasp over the foundation, take another preptest maybe in a week or two. Thoughts??

Sidenote: I'm really liking the Manhattan RC Guide.. I also find I'm really internalizing the LSAT logic in my life.. not that I have much of one.. After finishing my MA abroad I'm living in this town in the middle of nowhere with my Mom until I find a job and study for the LSAT simultaneously :wink: :roll:

I'd highly recommend going through the entire 7Sage curriculum before you take another PT. That way you've got all the basics down and have learned all the lessons and can focus just on PTs and drilling (as necessary) for the rest of the summer. Also, once you finish 7Sage I'd just do a quick refresher on LR because the back end of 7Sage is heavy on LG, especially if you have the bundle. I just took PT 36 and aced LG and RC but got destroyed by the LR because I hadn't done it in almost a month after working through the LG Bundle. I also found that 7Sage's logic curriculum really helped my RC just because it forced me to read more critically so now RC feels like a breeze by comparison.

westcoastbestcoastt

Postby westcoastbestcoastt » Tue May 12, 2015 11:23 am

Checking in. 167 on the February test, looking to break 170.

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:18 pm

westcoastbestcoastt wrote:Checking in. 167 on the February test, looking to break 170.

love your username :P

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Pacman wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:I signed up for the 7sage course, I'm complementing that with the Manhattan LR and RC guides, and the Cambridge LG Guide. I also have 1-38 all of Cambridge RC LR and LG to drill while I do the lessons. After I complete all that I will start taking preptests and reviewing them.

I'd highly recommend going through the entire 7Sage curriculum before you take another PT. That way you've got all the basics down and have learned all the lessons and can focus just on PTs and drilling (as necessary) for the rest of the summer. Also, once you finish 7Sage I'd just do a quick refresher on LR because the back end of 7Sage is heavy on LG, especially if you have the bundle. I just took PT 36 and aced LG and RC but got destroyed by the LR because I hadn't done it in almost a month after working through the LG Bundle. I also found that 7Sage's logic curriculum really helped my RC just because it forced me to read more critically so now RC feels like a breeze by comparison.

Thanks for the advice! I redid my 7sage schedule starting from today since I put so much time in reviewing my preptest last week. I also included in my other guides (Manhattan and Cambridge) coupled with drilling. I think once on the latter end of the 7sage curriculum it is important to review all 3 sections, so I might try to do a section of mixed LR 35minute section to see what areas I need to work on before jumping into primarily preptests with review.

devhlud6

Postby devhlud6 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Anyone tried the online BenchPrep guide? I've never heard anything about it except it was on sale through Groupon so I figured what the heck, use it in compliments with the other aids I have. Still in UG, was going to take in June but decided I wasn't ready. So I will be taking the LSAT in October for the first time. Any advice is welcome :mrgreen: Thanks! Also, TestMasters?

chicharon

Post removed...

Postby chicharon » Tue May 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spence334

Postby Spence334 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:57 pm

Just got my books and I'm starting to prep. My questions is... since the drills are from the actual tests, what does a 'fresh' PT suppose to mean? When I drill and then in a couple of weeks take a PT, won't I 'recall' some bits and pieces.. which would defeat the point of a fresh PT? I'm really confused so any help would be appreciated big time!

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Wed May 13, 2015 3:36 am

Spence334 wrote:Just got my books and I'm starting to prep. My questions is... since the drills are from the actual tests, what does a 'fresh' PT suppose to mean? When I drill and then in a couple of weeks take a PT, won't I 'recall' some bits and pieces.. which would defeat the point of a fresh PT? I'm really confused so any help would be appreciated big time!

Typically folks drill using material from PTs 1-38, so 39-74 are still fresh.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Wed May 13, 2015 12:03 pm

How's everyone?

I am drilling flaw, parallel flaw and sufficient assumption, 10 qs each, and necessary assumption questions in depth, followed by advanced linear games today.

4 weeks to a 3 week vacation during which I will study only 2 hours a day, so I have to drill hard now!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”