The Official October 2015 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How many PTs have you done? (timed)

0+
4%
5+
10%
10+
21%
15+
12%
20+
17%
25+
7%
30+
2%
35+
27%

Total votes: 121

The Abyss

Gold

Re: The Official October 2015 Study Group

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:36 pm

PT 63

Score: 167

LR1: -5
LG: -3
LR2: -5
RC: -2

I still have lots of work to do.

Sera Numquam

Silver

Post by Sera Numquam » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Coming from the June 2015 test which was my first attempt and was 12 points from my desired score. After feeling devastated, it's time to start preparing again.

What are people who were not close to their goal score planning to do? I did self-study because I couldn't afford a prep class, but now I'm thinking it's time to sell a kidney or something else to pay for it.

ariaaaa

New

Post by ariaaaa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:58 pm

I've really been half-assing this studying thing recently. After I get back from work at 4 (which is so early!!), I find myself too tired to sit down and actually study. Nonetheless, I've been scoring in the upper 160s to low 170s, so hopefully I will be where i need to be by October.

The goal right now is to be consistently scoring in the upper 170s by the time i go to school in late August, and from there, maintenance work. I feel like i'm being a little too ambitious, but hopefully a few weeks with LR drills will help me out a ton.

On a side note, does anyone remember the TLS post that had PT questions organized by type for drills? I keep searching various terms and can't seem to find it. I swear I had it bookmarked but I guess not. :cry:

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:05 pm

ariaaaa wrote:On a side note, does anyone remember the TLS post that had PT questions organized by type for drills? I keep searching various terms and can't seem to find it. I swear I had it bookmarked but I guess not. :cry:
This thread?

179orBust

Bronze

Post by 179orBust » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:09 pm

The Abyss wrote:PT 63

Good score to have at this point with 3 months left until test date. Also, you got -2 in RC which is really encouraging. Good job!
Do you blind review?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:11 pm

ariaaaa wrote:I've really been half-assing this studying thing recently. After I get back from work at 4 (which is so early!!), I find myself too tired to sit down and actually study. Nonetheless, I've been scoring in the upper 160s to low 170s, so hopefully I will be where i need to be by October.

The goal right now is to be consistently scoring in the upper 170s by the time i go to school in late August, and from there, maintenance work. I feel like i'm being a little too ambitious, but hopefully a few weeks with LR drills will help me out a ton.

On a side note, does anyone remember the TLS post that had PT questions organized by type for drills? I keep searching various terms and can't seem to find it. I swear I had it bookmarked but I guess not. :cry:
Are you talking about this?? http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... e#p1042536

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:15 pm

179orBust wrote:

Good score to have at this point with 3 months left until test date. Also, you got -2 in RC which is really encouraging. Good job!
Do you blind review?
I will review tomorrow. It won't technically be a blind review because I scored the test on 7sage and know how I did on each section but I don't know which specific questions I missed. I like the position I'm in at this point but I'm still a long way away from a 175. How are your studies going?

ariaaaa

New

Post by ariaaaa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:15 pm

The Abyss wrote:
ariaaaa wrote:On a side note, does anyone remember the TLS post that had PT questions organized by type for drills? I keep searching various terms and can't seem to find it. I swear I had it bookmarked but I guess not. :cry:
This thread?
YAAAAS you are a saint and i love you! :lol:

ariaaaa

New

Post by ariaaaa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:20 pm

ltowns1 wrote:
ariaaaa wrote:I've really been half-assing this studying thing recently. After I get back from work at 4 (which is so early!!), I find myself too tired to sit down and actually study. Nonetheless, I've been scoring in the upper 160s to low 170s, so hopefully I will be where i need to be by October.

Are you talking about this?? http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... e#p1042536
I actually wasn't, but that looks like something that's super useful to have! Thank youuuu!! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:36 pm

So I'm jumping here from the June Waiters thread since I'm gonna retake unfortunately.

I'm about to buy my next round of study materials so I can get started on Monday & here's what I'm thinking…
-7Sage Program (for LG mostly)
-Manhattan Prep (for LR)
-LSAT Trainer
-A shit ton of PTs

Thoughts? Suggestions? Please & thanks!

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:44 pm

AbbeyS wrote:So I'm jumping here from the June Waiters thread since I'm gonna retake unfortunately.

I'm about to buy my next round of study materials so I can get started on Monday & here's what I'm thinking…
-Manhattan Prep (for LR)
-LSAT Trainer
-A shit ton of PTs

You can probably learn 7Sage's LG methods through the free videos, no need to purchase a course imo.

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:53 pm

The Abyss wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So I'm jumping here from the June Waiters thread since I'm gonna retake unfortunately.

-Manhattan Prep (for LR)
-LSAT Trainer
-A shit ton of PTs

You can probably learn 7Sage's LG methods through the free videos, no need to purchase a course imo.
I kind of want an all-around boost but I heard they're also particularly good with LG. is it still not worth getting if I want to improve the other sections as well?

& have you used those other books?

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm actually excited for the morning start time. Anyone else? I hated the June afternoon one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Topszn

Bronze

Post by Topszn » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:00 pm

-Manhattan Prep (for LR)
-LSAT Trainer
-A shit ton of PTs

Same as me, apart from without the Manhattan - is it worth looking into?

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:03 pm

AbbeyS wrote:
The Abyss wrote:

-Manhattan Prep (for LR)
-LSAT Trainer
-A shit ton of PTs

I kind of want an all-around boost but I heard they're also particularly good with LG. is it still not worth getting if I want to improve the other sections as well?

& have you used those other books?
Manhattan LR is awesome, and I haven't used the Trainer. As far as the 7sage course goes, it certainly can't hurt but I think $130 could be better used in other prep materials. However, if you think it is going to help go for it. $130 is only a drop in the bucket compared to the substantial scholarship money you can earn.

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:04 pm

nlee10 wrote:I'm actually excited for the morning start time. Anyone else? I hated the June afternoon one.
I didn't take in June, but definitely prefer the morning administration over the afternoon. The afternoon is my least productive time of the day.

179orBust

Bronze

Post by 179orBust » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:13 pm

The Abyss wrote:
179orBust wrote:

Do you blind review?
I will review tomorrow. It won't technically be a blind review because I scored the test on 7sage and know how I did on each section but I don't know which specific questions I missed. I like the position I'm in at this point but I'm still a long way away from a 175. How are your studies going?
Not bad, currently drilling but will incorporate some practice tests into my study schedule. Will start taking one a week, then gradually increase to two,three as test day approaches. I think I'm gonna do what you did and take some of the later practice tests a bit earlier instead of just cramming them in closer to test date.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

179orBust

Bronze

Post by 179orBust » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:23 pm

And I forgot to ask: Are you completely done with drilling at this point?
Here's where I am in my drilling phase:
LG: Have done SO,RO,CO, and Grouping Packets. Still have Assignment, In/Out, and Miscellaneous packets to get through.
LR: Have drilled MP,SA,NA,Flaw, and a bit of Strengthen & Weaken. Still have the other packets to get through.
RC: Have drilled 60 of the 120 passages.

Is this a good place to be right now 3 months out? I'm worried that I'm behind on LR.

WMcGregs

New

Post by WMcGregs » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:24 pm

179orBust wrote:And I forgot to ask: Are you completely done with drilling at this point?
LG: Have done SO,RO,CO, and Grouping Packets. Still have Assignment, In/Out, and Miscellaneous packets to get through.
LR: Have drilled MP,SA,NA,Flaw, and a bit of Strengthen & Weaken. Still have the other packets to get through.

Is this a good place to be right now 3 months out? I'm worried that I'm behind on LR.
Are you drilling with the cambridge packets? Is that was everyone generally uses? I've been reading powerscore LG and LR and blind reviewing sections of early prep tests.

It seems to me that Manhatten LR is the most popular so maybe I'll try that if my LR isn't improving in the next few weeks.

T Hagen

New

Post by T Hagen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:41 pm

The Abyss wrote:
T Hagen wrote:For anyone scoring in the 164+ range, how did/do you approach the experimental section in your prep ? I believe this is an important aspect of LSAT prep when you factor in the fatigue that may effect your score writing a 5 section test vs. a 4 section test. I personally had an experimental RC as my first section during the June 2015 admin and it kind of threw me off. Any suggestions or experiences?
I take every fifth PT and break it into sections to use as experimental sections. I have my wife randomly insert a section into the PT I'm taking so I don't know going into the test what the experimental will be. Since the sections are numbered at the top, she always puts a 1 right after another 1 or a 2 right with another 2 so that I can't tell which section was the experimental.
Nice. That's a good way to circumvent the section label.

Thanks

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Anyone who's used the Cambridge bundles...which ones did you get/which do you recommend? So many options & I wanna get the best deal

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:12 pm

AbbeyS wrote:Anyone who's used the Cambridge bundles...which ones did you get/which do you recommend? So many options & I wanna get the best deal
Never mind, I decided to just go ahead and order the bundles of LR, RC and LG separated by question type.

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:13 pm

179orBust wrote:And I forgot to ask: Are you completely done with drilling at this point?

I'm assuming you're talking about the Cambridge bundles?
If so…how long did you give yourself to get through one of the question type packets? A day? A couple days?
I just downloaded mine and I'm trying to figure out how to schedule mine

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 pm

T Hagen wrote:For anyone scoring in the 164+ range, how did/do you approach the experimental section in your prep ? I believe this is an important aspect of LSAT prep when you factor in the fatigue that may effect your score writing a 5 section test vs. a 4 section test. I personally had an experimental RC as my first section during the June 2015 admin and it kind of threw me off. Any suggestions or experiences?
The test book I used made all of its practice tests have 5 sections. So definitely make sure all full PTs you do have 5 sections. Probably would want to make sure that the year for the random section is close so the questions aren't too different.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi everyone. I did fairly well on the June exam (168) but I know that my prep was not intensive as it could have been. During my last trimester of UG I just had so little motivation to do that much so I only worked through a Kaplan book I had. I've done logic games since I was 9 so getting that section down was pretty easy and I hit -0 on test day. For LR on my last 2 (of 4) PTs I had -3 and -5 total, which I would be happy with. But on test day I jumped to -7. RC is my real problem with the test. I've read a decent amount at times but don't always do so consistently in my free time. I also have done terribly on standardized tests that put pressure on the time for reading. For example, both times I took the ACT in high school i could not do better than 30 for that section even though I could practice at 33 or 34. Whereas the SAT reading was fine because it was less time intensive. My best PT for RC was -5 and on test day I was -6. I think that should be the main focus for my prep but I also want to have more practice for LR. Last note for this part of my long post (sorry) is that I am really bad at overthinking things. 2 of my misses were because I didn't trust my initial feeling, but LG were fine because I know that I understand what I am doing completely.

With that context I wanted to ask what books some more LSAT experienced people would recommend for the prep. I would only be doing a retake one time and really want to get in the range of 170-172. I'm not saying that I couldn't do better since I have done well for other tests before, but I also want to be realistic that improvement beyond that range would be me speculating. Money spent on prep books is also a slight concern for me since that spending could take away from money I could use on apps to more schools. I would appreciate it if at most any poster recommended 2 things for RC and 1 for LR. I really prefer hard materials too since when I tried online practice for LG I threw myself off despite being -1 combined across my 4 PTs and one real exam. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”