Tips on focusing??

ltowns1

Tips on focusing??

Postby ltowns1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:56 pm

So I took Pt 24 at around 6 pm, and from the minute I saw the first RC passage my mind wen't blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....considering this is only my third timed preptest since I have learned a lot of skills, I'm not really worried, I just want to get some advice on increasing my focus.

Side note: meditation (also will help for my anxiety), and ample preptest practice are my first two solutions, maybe taking the test earlier as well.

McJimJam

Post removed.

Postby McJimJam » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:23 am

Post removed.
Last edited by McJimJam on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leslieknope

Re: Tips on focusing??

Postby leslieknope » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:29 am

Annotating helped me a lot with focus. Come up with a system and try it, because even if you don't end up looking back on your annotations, just making them will keep you engaged. I also tried forcing myself to react to the author's argument- like thinking to myself "wow that makes absolutely no sense" when they'd make some point about the artistry of perfumes or whatever. If you're critical, you'll both get the main point of the passage faster and stay engaged with it.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:38 am

McJimJam wrote:How far into the test was it? If it was a later section you are probably getting exhausted and you will get used to that through practice (make sure to take 5 section PTs instead of 4). If it was an earlier section, maybe try doing a warm-up passage before starting. I tend to get like that near the end of my LR sections, for me taking about 3-5 seconds to close my eyes and breathe helps a ton.

Some people also suggest trying for 6 section PTs, they make the actual 5 section feel like a breeze. Personally, only tried it once and was way too exhausted to do again.

The first passage of the first section..it was almost like I tried to concentrate so hard that I couldn't if that makes any sense..

McJimJam

Post removed.

Postby McJimJam » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:00 am

Post removed.
Last edited by McJimJam on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:02 am

ltowns1 wrote:The first passage of the first section..it was almost like I tried to concentrate so hard that I couldn't if that makes any sense..

Do some warm-up questions before you start the PT. That always gets my brain going, esp when I PT so early in the morning.

ETA- scooped by McJimJam
Last edited by peppermint on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:03 am

McJimJam wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:
McJimJam wrote:How far into the test was it? If it was a later section you are probably getting exhausted and you will get used to that through practice (make sure to take 5 section PTs instead of 4). If it was an earlier section, maybe try doing a warm-up passage before starting. I tend to get like that near the end of my LR sections, for me taking about 3-5 seconds to close my eyes and breathe helps a ton.

Some people also suggest trying for 6 section PTs, they make the actual 5 section feel like a breeze. Personally, only tried it once and was way too exhausted to do again.

The first passage of the first section lol

In that case definitely try to do a little warm up before the test. On my Feb test I got to my test center early enough to do 1 game, about 5-10 LR questions, and an RC passage to get into the mindset. Also if the problem is mainly with RC leslie's advice is spot on.

I would say it was wide spread, but especially on RC and Logic Games

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Def. need to slow down, I just went through the test again and did a few questions I got wrong on each section, and I got them all right without even having to think about it too much.
Last edited by ltowns1 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:44 pm

I'll add that simulating real test conditions helps tremendously. The passages are undoubtedly boring. I have always had difficulty focusing on mundane tasks unless I play music/sports radio. However, in situations I think are important I can hyperfocus for hours on end. Many people are like this. It's possible being in a library with a set clock and using a scantron will allow you to better focus.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”