LSAT in undergrad vs. LSAT a few years later?

gjsi222

LSAT in undergrad vs. LSAT a few years later?

Postby gjsi222 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Undergrad here probably taking the LSAT in the near future. I'm planning on gaining work experience before law school and will probably take the LSAT again two years after I graduate. Has anyone who has done something similar changed their score? I'll probably have more time to study while I'm working but I also won't be in the flow of studying and taking exams. Any advice is appreciated.

Kinky John

Re: LSAT in undergrad vs. LSAT a few years later?

Postby Kinky John » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:29 pm

gjsi222 wrote:I'll probably have more time to study while I'm working but I also won't be in the flow of studying and taking exams.

I didn't take the LSAT at the end of my undergrad but I will have worked for 2 years before starting law school. I can't speak re: change in score, but most retakers improve their score.

Re: having more time to study during work and "flow," as long as you stick to a schedule it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't be so sure about having more time to study while you're working though.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:44 pm

Why are you taking now? This doesn't make sense.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:47 pm

I took once in undergrad and twice while working. My undergrad take was overseas and with minimal studying, so therefore not my best attempt. But I improved both times I took while working, but only because I stuck to a very consistent study schedule.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:20 pm

I'd wait, especially since you said you'd likely have more time to study after graduation.

rungoodinc

Postby rungoodinc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:29 am

It really doesn't matter. Take it whenever you have the most time and energy to study for it.

MattM

Postby MattM » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:40 am

What's your GPA?

Remember LSAT can be taken an unlimited amount of times ( provided it is within the max 3 times in 2 years rule) ....but UG can only be done once for LSAC GPA

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:48 am

It shouldn't make a difference. Cognitive decline doesn't really start until later.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:54 am

MattM wrote:What's your GPA?

Remember LSAT can be taken an unlimited amount of times ( provided it is within the max 3 times in 2 years rule) ....but UG can only be done once for LSAC GPA

+1

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:05 am

I took the GRE as an undergraduate with slightly above average performance. Studying for the LSAT was far, far easier, and my percentile ranking is substantially higher. The tests may not be the same, but the preparation should be comparable, and as someone who is closer to age thirty than to twenty, I really do think that maturity will have a marked impact on how devoted you will be to your studies.

As always, YMMV.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:16 am

It boils down to who you are, and what the job will consist of.

Personally I looked at it in college, and only got like 60% of the questions right at first. I just assumed it was like the SAT, and 60% right is a 500/800 and I wasn't cut out for it. I was also lazy. The brain still develops into your mid-20's, particularly for males. My prefrontal cortex (ability to concentrate, make good decisions, etc.) didn't take that next step till I was around 24. I never could've studied enough at your age.

On the other hand if you're in a major requiring heavy reading, which I was not, then you might be in the best shape you'll ever be in. Outside of law most professions don't require quite that much reading. Reading is a skill, you can get better or worse at it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”