How many points can I really improve ?

ariperez

How many points can I really improve ?

Postby ariperez » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:46 pm

I just took a cold diagnostic exam ( PrepTest 66) and am very disappointed by my score : 144. I was expecting to score a higher score and now I am looking at improving at least +20 points. Is this possible? I was planning on taking the June LSAT but after this score I am thinking I should wait for a later test date, does anyone have any suggestions? How should I effectively prepare to get a 170+ (if possible).

cheesy145

Re: How many points can I really improve ?

Postby cheesy145 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:22 pm

ariperez wrote:I just took a cold diagnostic exam ( PrepTest 66) and am very disappointed by my score : 144. I was expecting to score a higher score and now I am looking at improving at least +20 points. Is this possible? I was planning on taking the June LSAT but after this score I am thinking I should wait for a later test date, does anyone have any suggestions? How should I effectively prepare to get a 170+ (if possible).

Don't be freaked out by your diagnostic. Honestly most people do very badly simply because the LSAT tests us on something the majority of us have never seen before and a lot of people score so low because the material is unfamiliar, not because it is too hard for them. I would start studying by buying LSAT prep books, I would recommend beginning with Powerscore and buying their Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bibles and starting there because those books help to establish a base which can be expanded with Manthattan books or the Trainer once you get the skills down. You do not need to figure out right away if you are taking June or not because the registration deadline is not for a while, so just start studying now and once the deadline gets closer you can decide if you feel confident you can get your score up.

Also I got a 146 on my diagnostic and am scoring in the 164-168 range for LSATs if that helps!

Good luck!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:27 pm

It's absolutely possible. There are people who have improved 30+ points. It is also really rare. It takes a ton of really dedicated, scientifically-planned study and self-discipline of steel.

Check the sticky posts at the top of the LSAT forum for many study plans and resources.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:47 pm

I made a similar jump. It's possible, but the best thing you said was showing the willingness to hold off until you're ready. My improvement wasn't possible on the timeline I wanted, but if you stick with it and play it smart instead of being inpatient things can happen.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:21 pm

I ended up improving 20+ from my cold diagnostic. Retaking to make that 25+.
It's certainly possible to drastically improve.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:10 am

ariperez wrote:I just took a cold diagnostic exam ( PrepTest 66) and am very disappointed by my score : 144. I was expecting to score a higher score and now I am looking at improving at least +20 points. Is this possible? I was planning on taking the June LSAT but after this score I am thinking I should wait for a later test date, does anyone have any suggestions? How should I effectively prepare to get a 170+ (if possible).

Anything is possible. It really all comes down to how much you want it. Everyone starts somewhere, however hard work and dedication will take you a long way. The LSAT is not a test meant to be taken without proper training, and if you give yourself proper training nothing is out of reach. With that said, Get yourself PowerScore Logic Games bible, Manhattan LR bible, the trainer, lots and lots of prep test, as well as the Cambridge specific question type drill packets, and get cracking because you have a long road ahead of you. I would recommend starting with the trainer to build basic habits and skills, then supplement with further books such as the Manhattan LR and the PS LG bible. Oh, and can't forget 7sage. Watch his videos on LG. He also has superb LR training however most of the important things you have to purchase a package to access. def check it out though, it might be worth your while. Look in to 7sage's blind review method, so you are not churning and burning your pt's. Also, use pts that are earlier than pt50 for drilling and training, and anything past 50 for timed PT's. You got this bro. if you are dedicated you will score in the 170's.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”