Reaching 170+

ltowns1

Reaching 170+

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:02 pm

For those that have reached this awesome benchmark, what was the last hurdle for you? Meaning what was the last section\question type (if any at all) that constantly gave you problems before you reached this score.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

trvr

Re: Reaching 170+

Postby trvr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Logic games.

Meursault

Postby Meursault » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:56 am

Last edited by Meursault on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jthach

Postby jthach » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Meursault wrote:Gonna break the trend and say reading comp. Logic games is hard, but once you get it, it's pretty consistent.

I found the reading comp. gains were much more hard fought and came more slowly.

I don't even know if I'm an anomaly since I do great in LG at -0 to -2, but get destroyed at LR (like -4 to -6 each). Haven't done so much RC, but it all pans out to mid-160s.
Last edited by jthach on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

js1663

Postby js1663 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:54 pm

For me it was LR. One day (after being taught the right way to approach the questions) it just clicked as to what the right way to read the questions were and how to actually think in order to bring out the right answers.It brought me up to about 22-23 correct LR's per section which was good enough for 170+. From there getting from 170 to any higher score was about just becoming much better and avoiding any stupid mistakes, overcoming timing issues, and just becoming more consistent on RC.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:57 pm

js1663 wrote:For me it was LR. One day (after being taught the right way to approach the questions) it just clicked as to what the right way to read the questions were and how to actually think in order to bring out the right answers.It brought me up to about 22-23 correct LR's per section which was good enough for 170+. From there getting from 170 to any higher score was about just becoming much better and avoiding any stupid mistakes, overcoming timing issues, and just becoming more consistent on RC.

If you have time....do tell the right way lol??

js1663

Postby js1663 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:27 pm

ltowns1 wrote:
js1663 wrote:For me it was LR. One day (after being taught the right way to approach the questions) it just clicked as to what the right way to read the questions were and how to actually think in order to bring out the right answers.It brought me up to about 22-23 correct LR's per section which was good enough for 170+. From there getting from 170 to any higher score was about just becoming much better and avoiding any stupid mistakes, overcoming timing issues, and just becoming more consistent on RC.

Essentially I just ceased making any assumptions or adding anything in my head and began reading it as something to be read very literally and critically. Beyond that explaining my approach would require going over the question tyeps. I find it hard to explain beyond that but I jumped from a PT of 165 to a PT of 177 (which was an outlier, but I never scored below 170 on a PT after that).

Wouldn't put much weight on miracles though, I practiced lots of LR questions and I unconsciously refined my approach and understanding of the questions after getting quite a few wrong and suddenly experienced the score increase. It wasn't entirely instantaneous but once I began realizing why I was getting questions wrong I began reading questions the way LSAC expects you to read and not the way a normal person might read a book as well as understanding what the correct answers for the various questions look like.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:41 pm

js1663 wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:

Essentially I just ceased making any assumptions or adding anything in my head and began reading it as something to be read very literally and critically. Beyond that explaining my approach would require going over the question tyeps. I find it hard to explain beyond that but I jumped from a PT of 165 to a PT of 177 (which was an outlier, but I never scored below 170 on a PT after that).

Wouldn't put much weight on miracles though, I practiced lots of LR questions and I unconsciously refined my approach and understanding of the questions after getting quite a few wrong and suddenly experienced the score increase. It wasn't entirely instantaneous but once I began realizing why I was getting questions wrong I began reading questions the way LSAC expects you to read and not the way a normal person might read a book as well as understanding what the correct answers for the various questions look like.

I think I know exactly what you are saying, I think I do the same thing. Instead of figuring out an implicit assumption, you take the premise + conclusion as essentially the assumption itself, and you find which answer best matches that corresponding to the question stem. I do the same thing.

peke

Postby peke » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:58 pm

I had to pull up my LR from -6 total to -2/-1 total to get firmly over the threshold as my RC was highly variable. I struggled a lot with the LSAT language and I used two strategies that closed the gap:

1) I rewrote every LR question I got wrong over by hand by reading the stimulus once and trying to recite as much of it as possible. If I got any words wrong in my written copy, I would reread once and rewrite and keep doing this until I've recited every word of the stimulus. This could take as many as 5 times for long parallel questions. The key here was to allow the LSAT language to be firmly ingrained in my head and so I can identify key words I often skip (since those were often the differences between my recitation and the actual stimulus).

2) It helped me significantly by thinking of necessary/sufficient questions only in terms of the necessary condition. For example, I use to find "without A then B could not occur" or "if it wasn't for A then B would've happen" ridiculously confusing until I forced myself to isolate just the necessary condition, make that the constant, and fudge around with the rest to produce the right sufficient condition.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:I guess LG was the last hurdle, because I never figured it out. RC never changed for me, and I guess I became more consistent with LR, but LG was my stumbling block the whole way through.

Same here. I never did "get right" with Games. Ended up going -8 in LG on my first LSAT for a 167, and then -4 in LG on my second one for a 170. That was enough to get me into my top choice, so I didn't take it a third time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”