Help getting back in the game

tezzeret

Help getting back in the game

Postby tezzeret » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:10 am

Ok so after postponing the last 3 LSAT's, I'm gearing up for June. I've been studying for this retake since July and in addition my study materials (LGB, Manhattan books, LSAT trainer, cambridge packets, etc..) I've taken 8 PT's and my average for each section is

LR 11.3 LR 2 9.25 LG 7.37 RC 9.8

Some of those numbers may seem really bad but they have improved for individual PT's as time went on with the most recent PT was in January (-14/-7/-3/-12) (LR/LR/LG/RC), with that LR 1 being abnormal as it's the most I've ever gotten wrong by a large margin which leads me to believe there was some external factor responsible as the 3 PT's before that my LR 1 was -6 to -9. However I digress, long story short for the first time since I started studying for my retake, I feel like I have no idea where to go from here on what I should be doing. I went through all of my materials at least twice, I have a plethora of PT's I haven't touched, and untouched packet questions as well. So I come here asking you guys for help with a plan to destroy the June LSAT. Thanks in advance for your time.

Pequod

Re: Help getting back in the game

Postby Pequod » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Last edited by Pequod on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trvr

Postby trvr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Having done 8 PTs, you should be looking for trends in question types you are regularly missing. From there, you can review specific sections in your review books (I seriously recommend sticking to just one series... don't bog yourself down with a million types of study prep brands), and drill yourself on particular question types that need more work. Make sure you go over the explanations/answers for questions that you got RIGHT... not just the ones you got wrong. This helped me A LOT with LR and RC, in identifying patterns I had taken for granted in easier questions (but would still miss in harder ones).

Good advice. I would also plan on improving your LG first. There is a great strategy on 7sage for this which you should check out. http://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-s ... gic-games/

Cheers!

tezzeret

Postby tezzeret » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:28 pm

When I'm drilling the cambridge packets, it's always untimed. Should I be timing these packets or is untimed the way to go. I usually do about 4 questions in a row, then review.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:14 pm

tezzeret wrote:When I'm drilling the cambridge packets, it's always untimed. Should I be timing these packets or is untimed the way to go. I usually do about 4 questions in a row, then review.

I would time them unless you're doing the most difficult packets in which case, I'd just do all the practice you are doing for the day and then review after that. Reviewing so often will hurt your confidence move often than it will boost it.

tezzeret

Postby tezzeret » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:31 pm

being that each packet varies in size, how do I go about timing myself?

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:46 pm

When I would drill LG, I would time how long it took me to finish each game and then compare that to however long the 7sage guy said I should be taking. Personally I don't see the point of timing LR drilling, since each question is meant to be done in context of the full section and however long you're taking per question depends on how hard vs easy the rest of the section is. I only ever drilled full RC sections so I don't know about that either.

tezzeret

Postby tezzeret » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Yeah for LG I haven't done untimed for months, but for LR I don't see the point of drilling under timed conditions (for packets, I do drill timed for full sections).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”