"Getting" Logic Games

ashca2014

"Getting" Logic Games

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:31 am

I'm currently taking an LSAT prep course, and I'm making some gradual progress with the games...but it seems that every time I complete a game and see the results, there are a few things I missed during the set up. I just seem to be overlooking connections and relationships between variables each time. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take you to improve?

ltowns1

Re: "Getting" Logic Games

Postby ltowns1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:17 pm

ashca2014 wrote:I'm currently taking an LSAT prep course, and I'm making some gradual progress with the games...but it seems that every time I complete a game and see the results, there are a few things I missed during the set up. I just seem to be overlooking connections and relationships between variables each time. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take you to improve?

It all depends on the person and how good they are at figuring the inferences that are to be made. While I have not done a prep course, I've heard that the good ones often break the games into types. As someone who self studies, I do it this way as well, and I can say that it helps tremdously in recognizing the specific ways you should approach every different type of game. For each game linear, double layer sequencing, grouping, grouping distribution, etc...there are certain inferences that always show up on different types of games. So in short, work on the games by type, and do each game a lot, at least until you get the major inferences
Last edited by ltowns1 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:21 pm

Much of learning LG is building a repertoire of pattern-matching skills through exposure to a high volume of games. If you missed an inference this time, make an effort to understand and remember it and then next time a similar inference appears you'll probably get it. Eventually you've internalized all the common tricks and seem to be an LG genius.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:27 am

RZ5646 wrote:Much of learning LG is building a repertoire of pattern-matching skills through exposure to a high volume of games. If you missed an inference this time, make an effort to understand and remember it and then next time a similar inference appears you'll probably get it. Eventually you've internalized all the common tricks and seem to be an LG genius.

+1

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:50 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

GameOfLoans

Postby GameOfLoans » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:55 am

What I did to gain proficiency in LG was drill hard -- LG is all about pattern recognition. Once you realize the patterns, it'll feel like there are really only about 5-6 games they can throw at you, with some plug and play for rules, names, and slight shifts to variables.

Step One would be understanding rules:
Take any rules you do not understand and write it down on a separate piece of paper, which you will use throughout your studies. Every day you will review this piece of paper, which will grow in size every day until you completely understand the rules on it, whereby it will then get marked off the list. There are a limited number of rules they can throw at you.

READ CAREFULLY, sometimes the same rules you're familiar with may come up in with LSAC's tricky language and it will throw you off.

Step Two would be to understand the mapping of game types and whatever method you use to understand the game types, use it consistently. I would recommend really any, but the ones I can vouch for are Powerscore and Kaplan. I know 7sage has amazing videos, although I never followed the program.

Anytime I do a game, I go to 7sage to review what I did right and wrong.

Step Three would be practicing simplifying rules and game boards, something that comes with drilling (practice practice practice).
You should be seeing Logic Game rules in everything in your life or you are not drilling hard enough. I would do 4 games timed, take a break, wank, sleep, walk your dog, whatever (probably not wank, it can sometimes be draining, but to each his own).

When I got better I would up the antes, eventually doing 8-10 games in a straight row (this was after two months of drilling and after getting to about 99% accuracy). It takes effort and drilling, but I fully believe this is a section anyone can get 100% on.

ashca2014

Postby ashca2014 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:07 am

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement, everyone! I really appreciate it! :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”