In class LSAT course reviews?

Huntruffin

In class LSAT course reviews?

Postby Huntruffin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Hello I'm planning on taking the June 2015 LSAT and have decided to enroll in prep course leading up to the test. I've done research I'm looking seriously at the Blueprint in-class prep course. I scored a 156 on my first practice test with little preparation which was slightly disappointing for me. After a few weeks of prepping myself using the Kaplan book I wasn't seeing improvement and decided to withdraw my registration from the February LSAT, mainly because I would like to have one strong LSAT score and be done with it. Now that I'm planning on taking the LSAT in June I have a lot of time for prep. I'm just wondering what people generally consider to be the best in-class prep course for people trying to score 170+. For the money that these courses cost I don't just want a beginners course for breaking 150. Any advice would be great. If you had 5 months to prepare for the LSAT what would you do?

Thanks.
-Jack

PhilippeStandingOnIt

Re: In class LSAT course reviews?

Postby PhilippeStandingOnIt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:24 pm

pm sent.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:24 pm

I would throw the Kaplan book in the trash if a I don't have access to a fireplace. I would buy the two most recent books of LSAT preptests, the Powerscore Logic Games Bible, and the Manhattan Logic Games book. After reading the Powerscore and Manhttan book I would take a few preptests and find out what my weakness is and then buy the Cambridge packets on the question or game types I have trouble with. The packets are especially helpful because you can print them out as many times as you need. I would use the Manhattan forum to look up explanations for LR and RC questions so that I know what is wrong. I would watch the 7sage videos for logic games I have trouble with (and ones I don't, but that's not really necessary imo).

I wouldn't take a course because the information you need is already in books and online, and regardless you'll have to do most of the work on your own if you want to get a 170+. The LSAT isn't like other tests, because you have 80 examples of past tests and the concepts themselves aren't super hard, you mostly need to improve by repetition. I think tutors and courses can be very helpful for some things, but the LSAT is just a ton of individual time. I may be wrong. There are several tutors are on here and I'm sure there are people here who have been tutored who can speak more to the benefits of lessons. However, I'm not wrong about the Kaplan book.

k5220

Postby k5220 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:44 pm

I took TestMasters and it really helped me. (My score went up from a 160 at the beginning of the class without prep to a 175 on the actual test). They're really good about explaining what some of the weirdly worded questions are looking for and have the test down to a science. I've heard good things about Blueprint and Manhattan too; I think they were started by former TestMasters people and are geared towards people with similar goals.
Last edited by k5220 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Huntruffin wrote:Hello I'm planning on taking the June 2015 LSAT and have decided to enroll in prep course leading up to the test. I've done research I'm looking seriously at the Blueprint in-class prep course. I scored a 156 on my first practice test with little preparation which was slightly disappointing for me. After a few weeks of prepping myself using the Kaplan book I wasn't seeing improvement and decided to withdraw my registration from the February LSAT, mainly because I would like to have one strong LSAT score and be done with it. Now that I'm planning on taking the LSAT in June I have a lot of time for prep. I'm just wondering what people generally consider to be the best in-class prep course for people trying to score 170+. For the money that these courses cost I don't just want a beginners course for breaking 150. Any advice would be great. If you had 5 months to prepare for the LSAT what would you do?

Thanks.
-Jack

I think BP courses are considered to be pretty good if you want the in-class experiance. Most of my study success came from manhattan books and powerscore books along with cambridge packets.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:34 pm

Are you studying for this full-time or are you working/in school?
I took Blueprint over the Fall and found that a lot of my peers who work full-time did not get the most out of the course. Within the short 10ish weeks of class, it's 8 hours of instructions and a crapload of hw weekly. IMO, BP is pretty solid if you give yourself the right amount of time to study for it.

Huntruffin

Postby Huntruffin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:24 pm

nlee10 wrote:Are you studying for this full-time or are you working/in school?
I took Blueprint over the Fall and found that a lot of my peers who work full-time did not get the most out of the course. Within the short 10ish weeks of class, it's 8 hours of instructions and a crapload of hw weekly. IMO, BP is pretty solid if you give yourself the right amount of time to study for it.

I'm enrolled full time taking 4 classes this spring. The workload isn't all that much and I'm not working part-time so I can definitely dedicate a lot of time outside of the review class to LSAT practice. And since the BP course doesn't start until April I was planning on preparing myself using Powerscore bible's until then

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Huntruffin wrote:
nlee10 wrote:Are you studying for this full-time or are you working/in school?

I'm enrolled full time taking 4 classes this spring. The workload isn't all that much and I'm not working part-time so I can definitely dedicate a lot of time outside of the review class to LSAT practice. And since the BP course doesn't start until April I was planning on preparing myself using Powerscore bible's until then

ah okay. Just be sure to really manage your time when the class starts.
When it's the end of the course, so early June and right before the June LSAT, don't be afraid to postpone if you don't feel like you're fully prepared. I took the class Sept-Dec in hopes of taking the Dec test but ultimately postponed because I feel like there wasn't enough time after the course to polish up on things.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”