Can't seem to improve on LG

Garth Nader

Can't seem to improve on LG

Postby Garth Nader » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:08 am

I'm about a month and a half into studying. While My other sections aren't bad (-2 to -4, generally) my logic games section is still consistently around -10 to -15. I've been working through the LG Bible and the Trainer but I haven't been seing much improvement at this point. I think that's down to an inability to make good inferences. I lean too heavily on hypos and don't really have a great handle on the games themselves even though I can generally get the diagramming and technical stuff down. Any tips?

GameOfLoans

Re: Can't seem to improve on LG

Postby GameOfLoans » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:18 am

I checked out 7sage, even if you don't use the program the videos help a little. But from the videos I realized the real lessons are in the instruction, and really any reasonable instructor will do. If you are having trouble understanding LG and self study is not helping, you will be better off getting help from a personal tutor. It took my friend about 5 weeks to master LG to never less than -3, and he started at 3/23 on an actual LSAT. I did reasonably well and was averaging -1/0 on most LG by the end of the 5 weeks.

Also, consider the investment. Maybe a couple hundred dollars could get you, say 10 questions on test day. That's a jump from mid/low 60s to low 70s, which could (should) mean better school, better scholarship, and better prospective job opportunities upon graduation. It's a short and long term investment, definitely could pay off huge. You might even shed a few wrong answers off of LR and RC and you will find yourself in a lot better position to take the test.

Best of Luck!
Last edited by GameOfLoans on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:18 am

Purchase the Cambridge Logic Games by Type and drill. You're not going to learn much from the prep books if you don't practice your technique over and over again.
Last edited by The Avatar on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:24 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:49 am

Garth Nader, are you going -10 on timed or untimed LG sections? As the above poster mentioned: do them untimed. There's little point in timing when you're still getting the fundamentals down. I had trouble with LG at first too, and so I would cycle through the same Games that were in the LGB until I could do every step well and reasoned through everything.

Tycho

Postby Tycho » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:23 pm

msp8 wrote:Garth Nader, are you going -10 on timed or untimed LG sections? As the above poster mentioned: do them untimed. There's little point in timing when you're still getting the fundamentals down. I had trouble with LG at first too, and so I would cycle through the same Games that were in the LGB until I could do every step well and reasoned through everything.

This. If it's timed, you're just rushing through it and not learning the foundational principles. Once making inferences becomes a habit, the timing comes much easier.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Tycho wrote:
msp8 wrote:Garth Nader, are you going -10 on timed or untimed LG sections? As the above poster mentioned: do them untimed. There's little point in timing when you're still getting the fundamentals down. I had trouble with LG at first too, and so I would cycle through the same Games that were in the LGB until I could do every step well and reasoned through everything.

This. If it's timed, you're just rushing through it and not learning the foundational principles. Once making inferences becomes a habit, the timing comes much easier.

Agree completely I never timed until I could consistently miss 0 untimed.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:26 pm

I agree with a poster above that 7sage is king.

Also I recommend this book, Ace the LSAT Logic Games, I did the entire book 3x

what Sarah Palin said is applicable in your situation: "Drill baby drill!"

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:41 pm

Just drop the small fee for velocity lsats games program, trust me on this, no one does games better.

sox49

Postby sox49 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:09 am

one thing I've tried lately when drilling old games is drawing the game board, inferences, and maybe a hypothetical or two but then trying to do each question without redrawing a game board or editing what I've already drawn in any way. i feel this has helped me get good at working though the game mentally and "seeing" how the boards fall into place when conditions are given by questions prompts as well as discovering inferences in subsequent games.

i also spend as much time as i can trying to draw as many inferences as possible before i begin the game. i don't time the old games i do for drilling because i think it really doesn't matter how quickly you can do a game you've already seen before. you're re-doing them to get better, so take the time to understand how the game works and what limiting factors exist in the rules and their relationship to each other that will allow you solve it as quickly as possible with no wrong answers.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:12 am

Post removed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”