Four Months to 173

User avatar
JustShowingUp
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:58 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby JustShowingUp » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:59 pm

Week 9: Bleh

Day 1

Day off

Day 2

I’m going to pause my drilling and read the chapters 8 and 9. Chapter 8 is a long chapter on conditional reasoning and it looks like it can help me a lot. I’m also going to review relevant PowerScore materials.

PowerScore: A principle is a broad rule that specifies what actions or judgments are correct in certain situations.

MLSAT:

How to interpret “except perhaps” statements:

    1. Identify the normal state of affairs
    2. Identify the intruder
    3. Think: If the intruder does not intrude, we must get the normal state
    4. Write your conditional statement accordingly (no intruder -> normal state)

I really like MLSAT’s approach to UNLESS conditional logic, it’s very intuitive.

PT15 – S2 – Q18 I would have had a really hard time with this question before I learned how to use the conditional link strategy. Mastering conditional logic is going to be key for high level LR questions.

Finished chapter 8. I will likely need to review this chapter a few times, there’s a lot of good stuff here.

Started chapter 9.

I don’t feel like 11 minutes to do the last 8 questions is realistic. There’s so much text in the questions and answers that it takes almost that long just to read all the stimuli and answer choices. It’ll take more time to analyze everything.

Finished chapter 9. Going to top this study session off with some LGs.

PT19 – G4 Very simple game

PT37 – G3 Misread rule #2 at first, otherwise very straight forward

PT38 – G3 Straight forward games

Day 3 + 4

Days off.

Day 5

21/25 level 4 principle (identify) questions.

Started principle (apply) questions.

6/8 level 2 questions. I need to make sure to read question stems carefully, they ask very specific things sometimes.

4/4 level 3 questions. For some reason, PT33 – S1 – Q16 was incredibly satisfying to do. It’s such a great demonstration of what this question type can be. The strategies I learned in the conditional logic chapter helped me a lot here. I think that chapter is a must read for anyone prepping for the LSAT unless you’ve had exposure to conditional logic already.

6/8 level 4 questions. I felt really confident moving through these questions so it was a little surprising to see I got 2 questions wrong. I over abbreviated the conditional rules in one question and I misread on of the answer choices in the other. Despite the results, I’m very confident with this question type and I think this will be one of my strengths on test day.

LG questions.

PT4 – G2 A bit slow in recognizing some inferences but questions went smoothly

PT5 – G2 Still a bit slow, but still accurate

PT5 – G3 Getting faster. The questions feel easier.

PT9 – G1 Getting better.

Day 6

Started reading chapter 10.

Identify the disagreement questions:

    1. Don’t infer
    2. Identify the overlap
    3. Anticipate the point of disagreement (likely the premise or conclusion)

PT32 – S4 – Q20 An identify the disagreement question. This question seems to contradict the tips given above because in order to identify the correct answer, we have to infer information. The correct answer states the two sides disagree on if ALL children should learn to adapt t various educational methods. While we know one side disagrees with this, there’s nothing to indicate if the other side agrees or disagrees. The other side simply says children’s accustomed style of learning should not ALWAYS dictate what method is used and that flexibility is invaluable. There’s nothing here to indicate if there is agreement or disagreement, we have to break rule #1 and infer.

PT32 – S4 – Q12 I’m really curious why the subject of art repeatedly appears on the LSAT. It doesn’t seem to have all that much to do with law school. I feel like at least one of the test makers must be an art connoisseur.

Finished with chapter 10. I feel pretty comfortable with argument structure questions.

Day 7

Started method (argument) questions

10/10 level 2 questions

I just reviewed chapter 9 and was disappointed to see that many of the questions were taken from modern LSATs. I think MLSAT should give a warning before using questions like these so we don’t accidentally spoil tests we want to use as practice tests.

14/17 level 3 questions.

Final thoughts

A few unexpected events popped up this week that were distracting in terms of both the time and the emotional energy needed to address them. Optimistically, I will only need to take a day or two off next week from my LSAT studies to finish addressing these issues. Realistically, things will probably drag into at least the beginning of May.

This week is pretty "bleh". I can't fully describe how I feel about everything that's happened and everything that will happen, I'm just... in a daze at the moment. Oh well.

User avatar
JustShowingUp
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:58 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:59 pm

Week 10: When It Rains

Day 1

15/18 level 4 questions.

Day 2

10/10 level 2 Method (statement) questions.

2/2 level 3 questions.

PT27 – S1 – Q17 This is one of the messiest questions I’ve done so far. To solve this question, you have to identify the conditional relationships, correct the term shifts, take the contrapositive of one of the conditional relationships, and join them altogether in order to figure out the role that a particular part of the stimulus plays. I need to redo this question in the future to get better at doing time consuming multistep questions.

7/8 level 4 questions.

Started parallel reasoning questions.

10/10 level 2 questions.

Logic games:

PT9 – G2 tough one, but my accuracy is still good. After reviewing with 7sage, I found out my mistake was not splitting the board.

PT15 – G4 Relatively easy game

Day 3

12/12 level 3 questions.

Day 4

The past two weeks have been really disappointing to me because I’m not as focused as I want/need to be. I’m frustrated by my recent efforts and I’m worried about not being able to complete the preparation I originally planned. I gave myself about 20 “vacation” days at the start of this process to give myself enough slack to deal with normal obligations and unexpected challenges but I’m worried even 20 days may not be enough.

There’s nothing I can do about this in the next few weeks so I’ll try to make the best of it by finding out what I can actually get done when I’m at my “lows” and learning how to work myself out of a slump. I was going to take the day off today to clear my head a bit but I feel so poorly right now that I want to take a practice test just to see how I’ll do. I only slept 4 hours last night, haven’t had anything to eat or drink (besides water) all day, and am still a bit woozy after a minor medical procedure. Hopefully, I’ll feel a lot better than this on the real test date but until then, let’s find out what my floor is.

I actually printed out PT 47 a few weeks ago but I don’t have it with me at the moment so I’ll do PT 48 instead.

Section 1: Logical Reasoning (-4)

http://i.imgur.com/JszSvny.png

I need to do some warm up problems on the test day because I was thrown off by the very first question. I’m so distracted that it took me a few seconds to even recognize what section this was. I was pretty slow and was running out of time by the time I got to the last five questions. I guessed D on all of them but had enough time to change the answer for questions 24 and 25.

Section 2: Logic Games (-2)

http://i.imgur.com/U8xPqOg.png

I actually finished this section with about seven minutes left. But I was already so tired that I didn’t even bother double checking because I felt like it was going to exhaust me even more before getting to the third section. I’m not sure if I would have caught the mistakes I made if I double checked, but it wouldn’t have hurt to check.

Section 3: Reading Comprehension (-5)

http://i.imgur.com/sl0m04g.png

I ran out of time by the time I got to the last passage and guessed on the last four questions. Unfortunately, none of them were D.

Section 4: Logical Reasoning (-6)

http://i.imgur.com/X5eL01w.png

I was pretty much completely gassed out by the time I got to this section. That explains how I got a 1 star question wrong. This must have been a relatively easy section because I finished the section on time despite the exhaustion.

Final score: 163

Raw score: 84


When it rains, it pours: I’ve dropped out of the 90th percentile. I don’t have a whole lot to say. To be honest, I found the previous score drops to be pretty amusing, I’m the type who enjoys getting beaten up a little bit because it drives me to work harder. It’s only when everything going too smoothly that I begin to slow down. However, with how things have been going over the past two weeks, I’m going to just ignore today’s result and try to go get some sleep now.

Day 5

Off.

Day 6

19/23 level 4 questions

PT23 – S2 – Q25 missed the term switch in answer D

PT17 – G2 relatively easy game

PT20 – G2 relatively easy but not as automatic with LGs as I used to be

I’m starting to feel the effects of a buildup of sleep deprivation. It’s hard to focus and I feel like I’m just going through the motions right now. I can’t really sit still and study anymore so I’ll take a practice test (47).

Section 1: Logical Reasoning (-3)

http://i.imgur.com/sBwgIA0.png

I felt pretty hyped up from the caffeine and I feel better than the previous test because I actually warmed up with some LR drills and LG questions. I was really thrown off by the second question even though it was a relatively easy question for some reason.

Section 2: Reading Comprehension (-7)

http://i.imgur.com/eBpijEY.png

I was trying to get better with my timing so I was slightly rushed on all my passages. I didn’t double check with the passage as much as I needed to and went with my gut feeling on a lot of questions instead of confirming them. I also printed out this test single sided which forced me to flip back and forth between the passage on one page and the questions on another. Regardless, -7 is pretty atrocious.

Section 3: Logical Reasoning (-4)

http://i.imgur.com/NSHsQ7W.png

Not as tired as the last test but still tired enough that I got a 2 star question wrong. I really want to see my mistakes occurring on 4 and 5 star questions, not 1, 2, or even 3.

Section 4: Logic Games (-2)

http://i.imgur.com/EPj1xov.png

I came close to running out of time and got pretty lucky to only get 2 wrong here.

Reported score: 165

Raw score: 84


At the very least, my score has FINALLY stopped declining. I’ll take my victories where I can get them. Btw, I'm doing RC drills as my 5th section.

Day 7

Finished reading chapter 11. I’m a day’s worth of studying away from finishing MLSAT’s book and maybe a few more days away from finishing my first round of LR drilling.

I really like taking regular practice tests because it's a nice break from the monotony of continuous drilling. I'm going to begin taking practice tests regularly from this point forward.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:04 am

I fully support he taking more PTs approach. It's more interesting and it's easier to feel a sense of accomplishment.

i like redheads
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:35 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby i like redheads » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:53 pm

It seems like u should post pone to october

TypeAprobs
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby TypeAprobs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:24 pm

i like redheads wrote:It seems like u should post pone to october



I have to disagree. You just have to start getting motivated again. You are just in the "slump" that everyone gets into before they pick back up again, it's okay, I'm going through it right now as well. You are still in a strong position to get to where you want to be, every point earned is another step closer to your goal.

i like redheads
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:35 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby i like redheads » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Are you serious? OP is gunning for 175+... she is in the middling 160s range. The test is less than 2 months from now. No way will she reach her goal.

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby PoopNpants » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:50 pm

i like redheads wrote:Are you serious? OP is gunning for 175+... she is in the middling 160s range. The test is less than 2 months from now. No way will she reach her goal.



If you can't go from mid 160s to 175+ in two months, I don't think it would really matter waiting til Oct. or Dec even, it prolly just isn't gonna happen period. 8 weeks is plenty of time if you study everyday for atleast 5-6 hours anyways

i like redheads
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:35 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby i like redheads » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Are you serious? This test is all about practice. The op can hit her goal in October but not June. Just look at BP Ben of blueprint. That guy studied for 15 months to score 177

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11948
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:01 pm

i like redheads wrote:Are you serious? This test is all about practice. The op can hit her goal in October but not June. Just look at BP Ben of blueprint. That guy studied for 15 months to score 177

lol
Ben is that you?

i like redheads
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:35 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby i like redheads » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:14 pm

No this isn't him. Rigo, you know very well how hard it is to reach 175+ which is the OP's goal. Based on her current PT scores, she isn't in the position to take it in June. What do you think?

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:15 pm

i like redheads wrote:No this isn't him. Rigo, you know very well how hard it is to reach 175+ which is the OP's goal. Based on her current PT scores, she isn't in the position to take it in June. What do you think?

have to agree

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11948
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:53 pm

i like redheads wrote:No this isn't him. Rigo, you know very well how hard it is to reach 175+ which is the OP's goal. Based on her current PT scores, she isn't in the position to take it in June. What do you think?

I don't know. The journal entries aren't detailed enough to really gauge OP's progress.
Please elaborate OP if you want feedback.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Of course OP should take in June. And then take again regardless in September. And if they don't like the score, December. High score is all that counts.

User avatar
RunnerRunner
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby RunnerRunner » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:21 pm

i like redheads wrote:Are you serious? OP is gunning for 175+... she is in the middling 160s range. The test is less than 2 months from now. No way will she reach her goal.


It can be done. I did it (brag alert, what what! :lol: ). Some people make constant, steady progress, other people go through cycles of stagnancy followed by huge jumps. OP has logged a lot of time drilling and not a lot of time PTing. It's feasible that all that foundational work could come together if OP hits enough practice tests in the next two months. Now, if we were a few weeks out it would be a different story, and I'm always in favor of postponing if you don't think you can get your goal, but I wouldn't say it's time to throw in the towel on June.

User avatar
TheWalkingDebt
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:04 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby TheWalkingDebt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:27 pm

OP can hit 175. From 165 to jump it seems the biggest hurdle is cleaning up small mistakes, because you have to fundamentally understand the material to hit 165. The difference between 165 and 175 is like 9-10 questions. That's harder than it seems, but doable. I'm biased because I'm in a similar spot to OP score-wise and goal-wise.

User avatar
TheWalkingDebt
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:04 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby TheWalkingDebt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:28 pm

The biggest hurdle is that the problem area seems to be RC, which it seems everyone agrees is the most difficult to fix.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11948
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:28 pm

It looks like this is just a blog. Let OP do his thang, peanut gallery.

User avatar
RunnerRunner
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby RunnerRunner » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Rigo wrote:It looks like this is just a blog. Let OP do his her thang, peanut gallery.

Think OP is a girl (they posted a link to a women's health magazine earlier in the thread)

User avatar
Clyde Frog
Posts: 7117
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby Clyde Frog » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:48 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Of course OP should take in June. And then take again regardless in September. And if they don't like the score, December. High score is all that counts.


I disagree. If you're not up to your full potential in June then you're just throwing away one of your three takes. You may mess up on a LG/RC in October which would put all the pressure on you for December.

Blueprint Ben
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby Blueprint Ben » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm with Clyde on this one. If I were in OP's position, I would gun as hard as I could for June, knowing in the back of my mind that I should withdraw the night before if I don't feel ready.

A good rule of thumb is that if you want a 173, you should be PTing comfortably and consistently in the upper 170s. The test day drop is real. Don't plan on having a good day in order to reach your goal. Plan on being able to clear the bar even on a really bad day.

That said, OP, it is certainly possible for you to make that kind of jump in the next two months. You just have to turn up the heat now, and really commit to the final push.

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:21 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:
Rigo wrote:It looks like this is just a blog. Let OP do his her thang, peanut gallery.

Think OP is a girl (they posted a link to a women's health magazine earlier in the thread)


Oh, are women's health magazines only designated for female audiences? Check your privilege and gender norms. :roll:

User avatar
Smoking Gunner
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby Smoking Gunner » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:23 pm

.
Last edited by Smoking Gunner on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RunnerRunner
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby RunnerRunner » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:
Rigo wrote:It looks like this is just a blog. Let OP do his her thang, peanut gallery.

Think OP is a girl (they posted a link to a women's health magazine earlier in the thread)


Oh, are women's health magazines only designated for female audiences? Check your privilege and gender norms. :roll:

Lol of course not, but those magazines are aimed at female audiences, which is why they are called "women's health magazines" instead of "health magazines." Same thing applies to "men's health magazines."

TypeAprobs
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby TypeAprobs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:42 pm

There is a fine line between being optimistic and realistic. People have made the leap before and the OP does need to go more in depth on certain scoring tendencies in order to have a better idea on what is going, however, if he/she/it were getting close to the no refund point of no return then they HAVE to consider which practice tests they should put aside to do IF they choose not to take or do not get a desirable score if they do.

Is still planning on taking in June an option?: Yes
If OP remained completely unmotivated would that waste drilling sessions and PTs because they're doing them half-assed, which would also hurt for the next test session?: Yes

Moral of the story: Get back into a proper head space and drill to earn those 10 points, do not let yourself fall into LSAT pitfalls, does not matter if you are taking in June or not, don't sell yourself short.

User avatar
Deleterious
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:07 am

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby Deleterious » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:41 am

Shakawkaw wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:
Rigo wrote:It looks like this is just a blog. Let OP do his her thang, peanut gallery.

Think OP is a girl (they posted a link to a women's health magazine earlier in the thread)


Oh, are women's health magazines only designated for female audiences? Check your privilege and gender norms. :roll:


LOL wtf




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sanibella, Tazewell and 5 guests