Four Months to 173

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Tue May 12, 2015 12:40 pm

Jetlife wrote:
WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:"I’m sorry I didn’t include images for the tests, I’m a bit busy tonight (especially with the Floyd vs Manny fight and Spurs vs Clippers game 7) so I’ll edit my post tomorrow and add the images. I’ll also add some additional analytic stuff that 7sage has on my performances."

Are you a boxing and NBA-loving dude who reads women's health magazines, or a women's health magazine-loving chick who likes boxing and the NBA? I'm so confused - why is Bruce Jenner studying for the LSAT?

Lol, hop off bro. Why are you so concerned?

Great thread OP! I really enjoy reading the weekly updates!

Why are you against gender identity discussions? It's a pretty front and center issue in US society these days. Not to mention the major legal implications related decisions will have.

whacka

Postby whacka » Tue May 12, 2015 1:14 pm

Last edited by whacka on Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 pm

was totally joking in all these posts and that appears lost in this thread, ill bow out here and leave it to the topic at hand, lsat prep.

I hope OP kills it because that test is a real piece of S.

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat May 16, 2015 11:51 pm

Week 15: Finally Literate!

Day1

I started watching PBS shows because they have a lot of programming that deals with topics similar to what's on RC passages.

Also read 3 Law passages

Day 2

Finished chapter 5 MLSAT RC

I found a good Youtube channel that has a lot of good videos on legal theory: https://www.youtube.com/user/mohsenalattar1

These videos gave me a better understanding of what law passages are about and make me a lot more interested in legal theory passages. I think I’m going to turn this into a habit. Whenever I read a tough passage, I’ll check Google and Youtube to see what I can dig up about it. Hopefully the process of learning more about these topics will make me more interested in them.

Drilled two passages and retook PT 48.

State of Mind: I pulled an all-nighter last night so I’m not as alert and energetic as I want to be. I’m really curious to see how I’ll perform under this condition.

The reason I want to take PT 48 over again is because PT 48 is the test that gave me the most trouble. I bottomed out with a 163 on it a few weeks ago so I want to go back and see if I’m still making the same mistakes as before.

Scaled score: 175

Raw score: 97

2 wrong in RC, 1 in LR, and 1 in LG.

I felt a lot better while taking this test the second time. When I compared answer choices with my first take, I was consistently surprised by the types of questions I got wrong. The answers seem so obvious, I can't believe I picked the wrong ones a few weeks ago.

Day 3

Started reading chapter 6, this chapter is about wrong RC answers.

Some highlights of wrong answer types:

1. Unsupported answer – this may be hard because it brings in outside information
    2. Comparison trap – basically, this is a correct sounding answer with an unsupported comparison tacked on to it. So instead of saying the sky is blue, a comparison trap will say the sky is bluer than the ocean.
    3. Incorrect degree – think of opinions as sitting on a spectrum: disgust, dislike, slight disfavor, objectivity/uncertainty, slight favor, like, love, etc. Incorrect degree answers choose the wrong part of this spectrum.

I think the strategy of this chapter works well for some question types but not for questions like Q5 of PT41-S4-P1. I also think that strengthen/weaken questions should use LR strategies.

Retook PT 47. This is another test I did poorly on, so I want to redo it to see if I’m still making the same mistakes.

State of mind: I feel pretty “average”.

Scaled score: 174

Raw score: 94

RC -4, LR -2, LG -0. Well, looks like RC is still a big problem. I’m going to keep on drilling it.

Day 4

Reviewing some flashcards. PT 47 has two LR questions (#16 and #18) that have the same structure. They both have two separate conditionals in the stimuli and answers that test only one or the other conditional. This structure can be used to test a number of different things like MBF and MBT. I’m going save these two questions for my test-day warmup drill.

In last week’s post, I highlighted a couple of grammatical mistakes from an LSAT passage. After confirming those mistakes with others, I think it’s now fair to discuss the implications of LSAC’s allowance of ambiguity-creating grammatical mistakes in its tests.

First, I think these mistakes were left in by accident. The LSAT is not intentionally testing our ability to resolve grammatical ambiguities through the use of contextual clues because if it were, then we would see the same types of grammatical mistakes on all LSAT tests.

This means that if we come across truly ambiguous language on the test, this ambiguity is not intentional and we have no guarantee that there will be enough contextual clues to resolve the ambiguity. It is entirely possible that we will be forced to blindly guess the meaning of some portion of the actual test.

This is a very bad thing. An established standardized testing council needs to have better quality control over its products than this. There’s no reason such glaring grammatical mistakes should have made it past proofreading, especially on the RC section which specifically tests the skills that grammatical ambiguity would hinder.

In the grand scheme of things, this isn’t a big deal. There probably won’t be any grammatical mistakes on our tests, and even if there are, the mistakes likely won’t be big enough to make comprehension impossible. But this will still have a psychological impact on any discerning test taker. Maybe a test taker is having trouble answering a question because of an ambiguity in the passage. If he trusts the LSAC to never include grammatical mistakes on its tests, he may spend some extra time trying to resolve the ambiguity to ensure a correct answer. However, if he knows that the LSAC sometimes leave mistakes in its tests by accident, he may just guess and move on. This creates a degree of variance that doesn't need to exist, the LSAC should never so careless as to leave these mistakes in its tests.

Anyways, this is the end of my rant. With the recent ban of PDF sales, the lack of standardization in testing centers (table size, # of test takers per room, availability of a classroom clock, etc), and now this revelation of innate flaws on the LSAT, I’m becoming very dissatisfied with the LSAC. Law schools need to look into allowing other standardized tests to be considered for admissions. What do the Brits use for their law school admissions? Surely their law school admissions test also test for similar skills? I bet if their test came here and competed with the LSAT, we'd see some very quick improvements from the LSAC.

I’m back to reviewing flashcards.

Drilling passages.

Something about RC just clicked for me. I think I’m past the stage of “not knowing what I don’t know” and I’m now at the “knowing what I don’t know how to do yet” stage.

I used to try and remember every detail I come across while I read but now I mostly try to figure out why the author is writing what he is writing. I’m finally starting to pay attention to the scale and structure that Manhattan keeps talking about. RC is pretty simple, figure out what the arguments are, where they disagree, and whose side (if any) the author is on.

While doing this, figure out the “structure” of the passage. It will look something like this:

Paragraph 1: Point A, but, point B.

Paragraph 2: Explanation of point B and examples of it. However, critics of point B bring up these examples.

Paragraph 3: Implications of the weakened point B.

The author’s view is found in the adverbs and adjectives that describe one or more of the argument.

The part I’m not good at doing yet is eliminating bad answers. If I keep drilling, I’m hoping the answer elimination process will also click for me.

Day 5

PT48-S4-Q10 I feel like the answer to this question is incorrect.

Conclusion: The proposed coal-burning electric plant should be approved

Premise: since no good arguments have been offered against it. After all, all the arguments against it have been presented by competing electricity producers.

The correct answer is (E) Arguments made by those who have a vested interest in the outcome of a proposal are not good arguments.

This answer would be correct if the question were a sufficient assumption question, but this is a necessary assumption question. The question stem asks: Which of the following is an assumption on which the reasoning above depends?

Manhattan Prep’s forum claims this answer is correct because if it is negated, the argument falls apart: “Notice what happens if we negate (E). If arguments made by those with a vested interest in the outcome ARE good arguments, the conclusion is destroyed.”

https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... -t509.html

However, this isn’t the correct negation. The correct logical negation should be “arguments made by those with vested interests are SOMETIMES good arguments.” This doesn’t destroy the conclusion.

A necessary assumption is an assumption that at most fills 100% of the logical gap of an argument. If it goes past 100%, it’s no longer necessary.

For example, if the conclusion is "John has enough money to buy a $1 candy bar", correct necessary assumptions can say “John has at least $.01” all the way up to “John has at least $1”. However, a necessary assumption cannot go past $1. A correct answer cannot say “John has at least $2” because he may have less than $2 and still have enough to buy a $1 candy bar.

In this question, (E) is not correct because it goes too far. Even if some arguments made by those who have vested interest in the outcome of a proposal are good arguments, the conclusion may still be true. For example, what if all arguments made by competing electricity producers (who have vested interest) are not good arguments, but every other argument is good? The conclusion still holds up.

Started reading chapter 6 ¾.

After reading the third passage, I started googling poetry forms. I’ve never been interested in poetry but I’m starting to come around to it. I might reread some of the Shakespeare books I still have from high school once I’m done with the LSATs.

Finished chapter 6 ¾. The last passage was a bit tough because I misread part of the first paragraph which made it really hard to build a correct scale. This chapter is extremely useful, it’s really helpful to be walked through a passage to correct bad reading habits. I feel like I made a lot of progress but I still need more practice to cement what I learned.

Finished 4 more law passages. RC is becoming so much easier now.

Day 6

Off

Day 7

Finished chapter 7. Really helpful chapter to bring all the concepts together. I think I’ve got a good grasp of the proper reading strategy to apply to RC passages so I’m going to start drilling with tighter time constraints. I loved the 2 minute passage drill, I had no idea I could go through a passage so quickly and still retain so much information. Best of all, I never felt rushed. Reading for scale is definitely an effective way to read.

The LSAT can pack so much information into its passages that I used to get stuck trying to remember every little detail. This is extremely inefficient because I will have wasted time remembering any detail that doesn’t end up being tested. Since there are only 5-8 questions per passage, the majority of my efforts to remember details will be wasted. Reading efficiently means reading for the scale and structure. I just need to worry about what the arguments are (scale) and how the passage presents them (structure).

A common scale is: traditional view vs new view. The author can take at least four positions:

1. The traditional view
    2. The new view
    3. No position
    4. A modified version of one of the views/criticism of one of the views

A common structure looks something like this:

1. Traditional view
    2. But, new view
    3. Explanation of new view with examples

The main structure can vary in a few ways and include:

1. Implications of the new view
    2. Drawbacks/inconsistencies of the new view
    3. Wholesale criticism of the new view

The author can inject his views in a number of ways. The harder the passage, the more subtle his view. When new arguments are presented or expanded upon, look for the adjectives and adverbs attached to them. Anything that is not required for an objective presentation of an argument is likely to be an indicator of the author’s tone.

Final thoughts

This is the best week of LSAT prep I’ve had in a while, I’m really happy with my progress. I’m going to start applying strategies like the 4 second preview skim to my drilling process and get more restrictive with my time constraint.

Next week, I’m going to start doing 8 section practice tests (2 tests stacked together) every other day to improve my endurance. There’s only 3 weeks left, let’s go out with a bang!
Last edited by JustShowingUp on Sat May 16, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat May 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Jetlife wrote:Great thread OP! I really enjoy reading the weekly updates!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! :D

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:33 am

Hey J.S.U, haven't posted up here in a while, but keep up the good work! Have you decided on June? I have another question for you, I'm going to pm you.

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat May 23, 2015 11:59 pm

Week 16: Another Dip

Day 1

PT30-S3-P3 This passage is really hard. Especially the last paragraph. It was helpful to watch the youtube videos on legal theory I linked to last week. Although I was still pretty lost, I didn’t feel completely overwhelmed by the subject and finished at decent pace. This passage shows the value of digging deeper into common RC topics. The LSAT has a propensity to revisit the same ones over and over again and I’m sure there will be many more legal theory passages in the future.

PT35-S2-P4 Another passage on the legal theories. For anyone reading this thread in the future, make sure you read up on this topic! Every LSAT will have a passage on law, and legal theory has a very good chance of showing up.

Day 2

With three weeks left to go, I’m becoming concerned about the quality of my sleep. An injury has kept me out of the gym for the past few weeks so I haven’t done regular cardio to regulate my brain chemistry and sleep schedule. I’m not really expecting to get much sleep the night before the test anyway but I am concerned about the buildup of sleep deprivation effects leading up to the test day. When I go without good sleep for too long, I do notice effects like “brain fogginess”, dizziness, slower cognitive functions, etc. These effects are big inhibitors of performance, especially performance that involves time pressure so I’d rather not have to deal with them on the test day. However, I do have experience with these effects in the past and have found some remedies that help so I’m not overly concerned.

I also have a bottle of melatonin that I can use to help me sleep as a last resort, but based on my experience, melatonin is really only dependable for around 4 hours of sleep in a heightened stressful state. 4 hours is about how much sleep I get on average so I don’t feel like this would be that beneficial to me except for the night before the exam when I need to squeeze as many hours of sleep in as I can.

My plan is to keep using natural remedies. I’m going to try and get more sun and find cardio activities that don’t involve use my knees too much. I’m also thinking about getting a few massages before the test but I don’t want to sacrifice the time it takes to commute and get massages that I could be using to study and prepare.

Anyway, I’m going into my tests today with about 2 hours of sleep. I’m going to take two tests back to back for a total of 8 sections to train my endurance. I will be taking the test using a 3 – 3 – 2 sections format with 15 minute breaks in between. I had a huge breakfast with 3 cups of coffee so I’m hoping to at least get through the first test without seeing big drop-offs in my concentration.

PT 61

PT 60

I skipped the late PT50’s tests because I don’t have time to take all the PTs and I’d rather take newer ones instead of older ones.

I’m pretty surprised by how I did on the first test because I was having a hard time concentrating pretty much from the get go. I’m pretty encouraged by the fact I can score -2 on a modern LSAT and I’m not TOO overly worried about the -5 on PT 60 because it was the 8th section I took and I was pretty much running on fumes.

Some LR questions are noticeably different from previous LR questions I’ve done. They seem harder and less predictable to me now. The LG section is also getting harder but I’m still finishing around 5-10 minutes early so I have time to check the harder questions.

Taking 8 sections is seriously draining, but I’m hoping that doing this will pay off on test day.

Day 3

Reviewed PT 61.

I noticed that my eyes would often glaze over when I encounter a parallel reasoning question that takes up half the page. I reviewed chapter 16 of PS LR and came away with a great tool to quickly eliminate wrong answers: match certainty and intent of the conclusion. If the conclusion says something should be done, the correct answer will also say the same. Eliminate answers with most/only.

Drilling parallel reasoning.

Day 4

PT 62

I was planning on doing 2 tests together again but I was seriously burning out by the time I finished PT62. I’m going to save back to back tests for when I fix my sleeping schedule.

I am concerned about the 5 wrong answers here, especially because I found the passages pretty interesting. I lost a lot of points from questions that require you to find a specific piece of information from the text. I think these mistakes are mostly due to my problems with sleep because I’m a much slower reader when I’m tired and I can’t sacrifice the time it takes to look for up to 5 pieces of information on each question.

Day 5

Reviewed PT 62 and read chapter 7.

Day 6

Nothing really changed on the sleep front, so I’m going to limit myself to a 6 section test today. I’ll do 4 from PT 63 and 2 from PT 64.

PT 63

Well, this test turned out to be a huge let down. The worst part is that I actually felt pretty good working through this test and really wasn’t expecting to see my score drop back to the 160’s.

The LGs on this test were very challenging. There were a lot of conditional rules and all too many must be true and must be false questions. This was the first time I had to worry about time on the LG section in months. I’m used to treating LG as a semi-break and I take my time going through each game very slowly because I know I’ll have more than enough time at the end. However, if future LSATs are going to have LGs this tough, I can’t relax myself anymore, I have to stay engaged.

The RC section is the only bright spot on this test for me. I felt pretty engaged all the way through and my timing was relatively comfortable. If I can get a -2 on RC on test day, I’ll be extremely happy.

Day 7

Read chapter 8.

Reviewed PS LRB chapter on justify (sufficient assumption) questions. Drilled some sufficient assumption questions to apply the skills.

Final Thoughts

This week ended on a pretty disappointing note. I'm really bothered by the score drop because I genuinely felt confident working through the test so I had no idea how bad the damage was until I saw the results. I don't feel bad about the score, I do feel concerned about not being able to fix what ever caused this score drop. It's very obvious that after 4 months of studying, I didn't not lose any LSAT skills. It's silly to expect a score that's lower than the score I got on my first timed test.

I think I'm stagnating/underperforming because of mental distractions. If you've been keeping up with this thread, you may remember that about two months into my studying, some attention demanding events occurred that threw me off my track pretty bad. Since then, my studying time has been halved, and my intensity is pretty much gone. I've really just been going through the motions. When I'm taking practice tests, I find it really hard to stay focused and it's causing me to miss 1, 2, and 3 star difficulty questions when I should be limiting my mistakes to 4 and 5 star questions. The LSAT is just a test and it's hard to stay focused on it when real life issues are demanding attention.

I think the best thing I can do in the last two weeks is to work with a counselor to address the mental distractions. I think a lot of my sleep issues and my concentration problems can be alleviated by working on my mental/emotional state. I think I have enough skills right now to score between 173-177+ around 75% of the time and 178 or better around 25-35% of the time. It's very improbable to expect a score of 178 or better at this point, so I'm getting ready for eggs that are headed in my direction, but I do think I'll have a puncher's chance at that score range if I can regain my focus for this test.

On the other hand, if nothing changes and the sleep deprivation accumulates even more, there's a reasonable chance I won't even see a score as high as my first practice test score.

Suspense! :mrgreen:

LadyProspero

Postby LadyProspero » Sun May 24, 2015 1:34 am

Good thread! I'd definitely recommend seeing a counselor to address your issues, both for increasing your LSAT score and more importantly for your health.

Quick question though, what do you use when you take your tests and input the answers? I see the screenshots of your tests where it shows question difficulty etc, this would be really helpful for me if I could use the same thing so I could see all this info, but I'm unsure what you're using to input your answers and get that breakdown with your score etc. thanks and good luck!

Smantz

Postby Smantz » Sun May 24, 2015 1:35 am

Good thread. I like the 7Sage screenshots.

One thing that jumped out to me on your LR wrong answers was the level of difficulty and type of questions. You are missing some easy questions in some very common types. More specifically, you seem to miss a few Flaw questions, which I believe are the most common.

I use the LSAT analytics and do supplemental drilling with Cambridge packets for my weaknesses/higher priority questions, and this helps a lot.

Smantz

Postby Smantz » Sun May 24, 2015 1:36 am

LadyProspero wrote:Good thread! I'd definitely recommend seeing a counselor to address your issues, both for increasing your LSAT score and more importantly for your health.

Quick question though, what do you use when you take your tests and input the answers? I see the screenshots of your tests where it shows question difficulty etc, this would be really helpful for me if I could use the same thing so I could see all this info, but I'm unsure what you're using to input your answers and get that breakdown with your score etc. thanks and good luck!

Screenshots are from 7Sage.

LadyProspero

Postby LadyProspero » Sun May 24, 2015 2:47 am

Smantz wrote:
LadyProspero wrote:Good thread! I'd definitely recommend seeing a counselor to address your issues, both for increasing your LSAT score and more importantly for your health.

Screenshots are from 7Sage.
Ah gotcha, thanks!

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sun May 31, 2015 12:00 am

Week 17: Unnecessary Assumptions

Day 1

Reviewed 2 LR chapters in The LRB

Day 2

Reviewing PT63

PT63 – G4 I think 7sage’s inferences for rule one is incomplete. There are more combinations for red:white than 3:2 and 2:1. There is also 4:1 and 3:1.

Finished undefined grouping games.

Day 3

Finished reading chapter 9 of Manhattan’s RC book

Finished 2 pattern games

Read 5 social science passages

Day 4

Did PT71 and the second half of PT64

I had about 4 hours of sleep last night but my mind felt pretty fresh after spending 10 minutes on the elliptical. However, I was really distracted by the environment during PT71 and had trouble concentrating on section 3. I ran out of time and had to guess on the last 3 questions.

I’m pretty disappointed by the score. Even though I was distracted during the third section, I felt pretty good during the other 3. I finished the first two passages of RC in 15 minutes and felt pretty relaxed and in control for the last two passages. The only section I’m happy about is LG, it’s good to see my scoring going back to -0 for the section.

Amazingly, I actually scored better on PT64 than on PT71 even though I took PT71 first. If you remember, I used the first half of PT64 as the last two sections of a practice test session last week. So my PT64 score should represent my performance at my most exhausted state.

I feel like I’m playing whack-a-mole. I’ve been making some progress with LG and RC lately but my LR score is freefalling. I’ve never gotten 7 wrong on an LR section before, and I can still remember a month or two ago when my LR score would hover around -0 to -3. For my last week of preparation, I’m going to spend some time reviewing conditional logic because I make a lot of my mistakes and waste a lot of my time on question that contain conditional logic.

Day 5

PT64-S3-Q17 Tough strengthening question. The structure is conclusion + 2 premises. One of the premises doesn’t help the conclusion because of a logical gap (how does anti-inflammatory drugs help slow the deterioration of cognitive faculties?). The answer bridges the gap in logic between the premise and conclusion.

Manhattanprep has a good article on how to translate “unless” conditional statements: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/blog ... 2-minutes/

Day 6

Off

Day 7

Reviewing PT71

I’m a little disappointed by the 2 and 3 star questions I’m still getting wrong especially in the first section of a test when my mind should be at its freshest. I want to devote some time to reviewing the conditional logic chapters of both Powerscore and Manhattan Prep’s LR book next week.

Section 1 Q22:

Question: Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends? [Necessary Assumption]

Conclusion: This practice [of predatory pricing] clearly should be acceptable

Premise: A company that deliberately sells its products at prices low enough to drive competitors out of business will be prevented from raising prices to unreasonable levels because of the threat of renewed competition.

Correct answer: (E) Any pricing practice that does not result in unreasonable prices should be acceptable.

This is Manhattan Prep’s discussion on this question: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t8854.html

This is Manhattan’s negation of the correct answer:

Negating (E) means some predatory pricing that leads to unreasonable prices is acceptable. (We know that because that's what negating it tells us. That's the point of negating it.) If that's true, the argument would not hold. Negating (E) destroys the argument.

This negation is questionable to me because the correct answer choice does not specify “predatory pricing”. The correct answer says “ANY pricing practice”. There seems to be an unwarranted term switch in the negation above. I also think the negation of this should be that SOME pricing practices are NOT acceptable. By negating the part that modifies predatory pricing/pricing practices, the meaning is changed.

Some pricing practices that does not lead to unreasonable prices is not acceptable.

vs

Some pricing practices that leads to unreasonable prices is acceptable.

To simplify even more, the correct answer choice has the following structure:

“All X are Y”

Manhattan’s negation structure is this:

“Some Z are Y” (term shift from pricing practice to predatory pricing)

But I think the correct negation should be this:

“Some X are NOT Y”

So to negate the original answer, it should read something like this:

“Some pricing practices that do not result in unreasonable prices should NOT be acceptable.”

And I don’t think that this negation would destroy the conclusion:

“This practice clearly should be acceptable.”

Even though some pricing practices should not be acceptable, THIS specific practice could still be acceptable. Therefore, I don’t feel like (E) is a necessary assumption to the conclusion. This is the second necessary assumption question that seemingly has a correct answer that goes too far (and becomes unnecessary/wrong). I'd love for anyone to chime in on either this question or last week's question and point out any flaws in my reasoning. Otherwise, I'm just going to have to start assuming that the LSAC will allow something like this to continue to appear on its tests.

Final thoughts

I feel like recent LSATs (post 2010) are harder than earlier LSATs. LR used to be really straight forward but the more recent ones are "harder" in the sense that they sometimes have downright incorrect answers as "correct" answers. A few weeks ago, we've established that the LSAT contains grammatical mistakes in its RC passages that may create unintended ambiguity in meaning. Over these past two weeks, I've noticed a trend of LSATs choosing unnecessary assumptions as correct answers to necessary assumption questions (again, I'd love for someone else to chime in here and review my reasoning for why the assumptions are unnecessary).

I'm also starting to notice how the LSAT is becoming VERY liberal with how it rephrases different parts of the stimulus to make conditional logic questions tougher. The difficulty in these questions is no longer hinged on the test taker's ability to manipulate and interpret conditional logic chains, instead, it's becoming more about the test taker's ability to recognize when two phrases refer to the same element of a conditional logic chain. This is an issue because the questions are becoming less about a test taker's ability to break down logic and more about guessing the meaning of the test creators. In my opinion, this liberal rephrasing along with poor grammar usage in RC passages are not appropriate methods to use for making the LSAT harder.

The last week

I'm not really expecting to make any big breakthroughs in skill acquisition next week. What I have right now is what I'll be working with on the test day. However, I think I can make some progress with my test taking mentality. My problem right now is that I just don't care as much about the test, or at least the practice tests, as I need to. I'm just not zoned in and my mind would often wander off to something else. I'm misreading questions that ask me strengthen and finding answers that weaken. I'm not writing down conditional chains. I'm not taking any notes on RC passages. And for inference questions on RC passages, I'm not even going back to the passage to confirm my answers.

My plan is to do my best to "normalize" my mentality through counseling and mediation and then take a few practice tests to see if any of that helped. If by Wednesday, my test scores are above 175, I'm going stick with what I'm doing until the test date. But if by Wednesday, my test scores don't even break 173, I'm going to try and jack up the variance of my test day performance by taking some impromptu trips or something to overload my mind with activities that don't involve the LSAT.

appind

Postby appind » Sun May 31, 2015 7:23 pm

JustShowingUp wrote:[size=150]
[b]Final thoughts

I feel like recent LSATs (post 2010) are harder than earlier LSATs. LR used to be really straight forward but the more recent ones are "harder" in the sense that they sometimes have downright incorrect answers as "correct" answers. A few weeks ago, we've established that the LSAT contains grammatical mistakes in its RC passages that may create unintended ambiguity in meaning. Over these past two weeks, I've noticed a trend of LSATs choosing unnecessary assumptions as correct answers to necessary assumption questions (again, I'd love for someone else to chime in here and review my reasoning for why the assumptions are unnecessary).

I'm also starting to notice how the LSAT is becoming VERY liberal with how it rephrases different parts of the stimulus to make conditional logic questions tougher. The difficulty in these questions is no longer hinged on the test taker's ability to manipulate and interpret conditional logic chains, instead, it's becoming more about the test taker's ability to recognize when two phrases refer to the same element of a conditional logic chain. This is an issue because the questions are becoming less about a test taker's ability to break down logic and more about guessing the meaning of the test creators. In my opinion, this liberal rephrasing along with poor grammar usage in RC passages are not appropriate methods to use for making the LSAT harder.

i think the bolded is part of the changes in LR. LR apparently has become more about recognizing in the seemingly clear stimulus the issue the testmaker is trying to target with the question, as opposed to parsing a clear deductive chain in a seemingly complicated stim in the case of older LR.

mjsjr

Postby mjsjr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Perhaps the LR sections aren't significantly more difficult but your stress/mental distractions are making them feel more difficult. Would the questions seem easier if you were completely focused and razor sharp? Were you more focused on some of the earlier tests where you categorized the LR sections as easier?

Either way, good luck! A lot of your posts are inspirational and I really want you to succeed!

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Hey everyone! I'm going to wait until after the test to post this week's update so that I can include the next two days in the same post. I hope everyone is having a great week and I wish everyone who is taking the LSAT on Monday the best of luck.

For those who are taking the test next week, you may have some trouble falling asleep tomorrow night. I want to share a few things you guys can try tomorrow to hopefully get a better night's sleep:

1. Exercise. Go play your favorite sport tomorrow and really give yourself a chance to exhaust yourself. I'm talking about the getting drenched in sweat kind of exhaustion.

2. Get some sun. Make sure your use sun screen.

3. Socialize. Don't bottle up your internal thoughts, let it out. Give yourself the chance to have some fun and laugh tomorrow.

4. Clean your bedroom + bed sheets. Having a clean sleeping environment really helps me get a good night's sleep and I hope it'll help you as well.

5. Have an emotional release. I think it's really important to let your emotions out in order to really be at peace with yourself. Try tracking your thoughts and write them down on a piece of paper. Watch a movie that really gets your emotions going. Go nuts on a punching bag. Sing. Cry. Do something to let it all out. You'll feel a lot calmer afterwards.

If all else fails, just roll with it. You'll be surprised how far test day adrenaline can make up for a lack of sleep.

That's it for me tonight. Best of luck to everyone, I'll see you all again next week!

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:48 pm

mjsjr wrote:Perhaps the LR sections aren't significantly more difficult but your stress/mental distractions are making them feel more difficult. Would the questions seem easier if you were completely focused and razor sharp? Were you more focused on some of the earlier tests where you categorized the LR sections as easier?

Either way, good luck! A lot of your posts are inspirational and I really want you to succeed!

Thanks for your support!

And I agree, it's possible that the LR hasn't gotten more difficult and it's just my current state of mind that's distracting me. I'd love to hear other people's views on the difficulty change of modern LSATs. However, I do remember that two months ago when I was taking PTs in the 50's, I could finish LR sections more than 5 minutes early and expect to get no more than one or two questions wrong. Now, I'm having trouble even finishing and I'm regularly getting 4+ wrong on some sections.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:17 am

I've been a long time lurker and I really want to know what you thought about the test! (I'm sure you did great:D).

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:22 am

I do hope you are out celebrating your 173+ score!

texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:27 am

Just read this thread and I'm really curious to see how you did - I may be retaking in October for $$ so it'd be nice to see how you studied to a high score!

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:46 pm

Looking forward to hear what OP got, I hope he/she did as well as their work would indicate!

pittsburghpirates

Post removed.

Postby pittsburghpirates » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:51 am

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgie2006

Postby georgie2006 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:27 am

I am getting worried about OP. I do hope you are OK!

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:43 am

OP might just be getting ready for all the things they need to do for applications, I know I haven't really started getting everything together on that front

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:38 pm

OP probably made a 130. No one forgets to update something of this magnitude. We waited patiently and were sadly let down. It takes 10 seconds to type a sentence.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:01 am

mynameismyname wrote:OP probably made a 130. No one forgets to update something of this magnitude. We waited patiently and were sadly let down. It takes 10 seconds to type a sentence.

no need to be a dick.

OP come update use please.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”