Four Months to 173

TypeAprobs

Re: Four Months to 173

Postby TypeAprobs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:36 am

RunnerRunner wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:
Rigo wrote:It looks like this is just a blog. Let OP do his her thang, peanut gallery.

Think OP is a girl (they posted a link to a women's health magazine earlier in the thread)

Oh, are women's health magazines only designated for female audiences? Check your privilege and gender norms. :roll:

Lol of course not, but those magazines are aimed at female audiences, which is why they are called "women's health magazines" instead of "health magazines." Same thing applies to "men's health magazines."

+1

longhorn65

Postby longhorn65 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:
Rigo wrote:It looks like this is just a blog. Let OP do his her thang, peanut gallery.

Think OP is a girl (they posted a link to a women's health magazine earlier in the thread)

Oh, are women's health magazines only designated for female audiences? Check your privilege and gender norms. :roll:

I would say YES, WOMENS health magazines are definitely designated for female audiences but that's not to say men can't read them also. Get off that fem-nazi train and realize everything said is not meant to offend, belittle, or control you. It's 2015 for crying out loud.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:50 pm

longhorn65 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:

I would say YES, WOMENS health magazines are definitely designated for female audiences but that's not to say men can't read them also. Get off that fem-nazi train and realize everything said is not meant to offend, belittle, or control you. It's 2015 for crying out loud.

Obvious troll wasn't obvious.

Additionally, as a Jew, I take deep offense to your use of "nazi."

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Oh hush Shaka.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Rigo wrote:Oh hush Shaka.

Deaf people can't hear, Rigo. :roll:

longhorn65

Postby longhorn65 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
Rigo wrote:Oh hush Shaka.

Deaf people can't hear, Rigo. :roll:

I certainly didn't see it. Sorry for the knee jerk reaction but I wouldn't put this passed some of the extreme feminists. It's getting out of control lol.

kinglew

Postby kinglew » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Op did you finish reading the power score bibles before drilling and doing pt's or are you using the bibles as a reference a long the way?

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Obvious troll wasn't obvious.

Damn it! Now I have to go buy a new troll-detector. And this one was brand new too...

i like redheads

Postby i like redheads » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Why hasn't OP been updating? Welp, another one bites the dust...

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Week 11: Rebound

Day 1

Took the day off

Day 2

10/10 level 2 Main Conclusion questions

5/5 level 3

5/5 level 4

Looks like the main conclusion question type is my strength.

Started reading chapter 12

To solve a matching question:

1. Break argument into parts (premise + conclusion)
    2. Turn the information parts into generic forms
    3. Turn answers into generic forms
    4. Look for a match
    5. Eliminate answers based on term mismatches: can vs can, correct vs accurate, etc

These questions are really long and time consuming. I should get prepared to skip these on a test until I finish all the other questions first.

Finished chapter 12
Finished chapter 13
Finished chapter 14

Finished MLSAT’s LR book. So far I’ve found MLSAT’s LR book and Powerscore’s LR Bible to be indispensable. However, I’m not as certain about recommending Powerscore’s LG Bible as a necessary resource. I feel like some of the material is outdated and may introduce bad habits. At best, you’d be wasting some time learning things you’ll discard later on.

I think 7sage’s free video explanations and some basic overview of things like not-laws are all you need to adequately prepare for logic games. Then again, I am someone who learns most efficiently by doing things so maybe I am projecting too much personal bias on this matter. I’ll write a more thorough review of the resources I’ve used in the interim period between the test date and the score release date.

Day 3

I’m going to take practice test 49 today. My state of mind is still far from optimal: I’m distracted, demotivated, agitated, etc. And everything is exacerbated by lack of sleep. But, this is good practice for the test date because I want to be able to perform even when I’m not at my best.

Section 1: Logic Games (-1)

http://i.imgur.com/Zc1cMoT.png

I should have split the board on the third game, but overall I’m happy with my performance. There isn’t anything here that I don’t understand, I just need more familiarity with the material.

Section 2: Logical Reasoning (-4)

http://i.imgur.com/rslgAFJ.png

I was averaging about a minute a question through the first 15 questions but slowed down once I realized how ahead I was. I ran out of time and skimmed and guessed on 24 and 26. Next time, I need to make sure I don’t slack off in the middle and keep my pace up. I also need to just guess a standard answer when I run out of time instead of guessing based on an incomplete comprehension of the stimulus/answers.

Section 3: Reading Comprehension (-5)

http://i.imgur.com/JAKFbzy.png

I’m still very slow on this section but I’m beginning to see some patterns emerging.

Section 4: Logical Reasoning (-2)

http://i.imgur.com/J0k1YVQ.png

I finished 5 minutes early but unfortunately wasn’t able to convert the time into more points.

Final score: 168

Raw score: 88

I did a lot better than I expected because I didn’t feel that great during the test. I’m mostly encouraged by my raw score increase. Over the past few tests, my raw score has remained surprisingly consistent:

PT30: 84

PT32: 84

PT46: 85

PT48: 84

PT47: 84

PT49: 88

Day 4

Started point questions. Be careful with this question type, it mostly asks for disagreements but occasionally asks for agreements as well.

16/16 level 2

6/8 level 3

8/9 level 4

Reviewed PS LRB chapter 11.

Three quirks of assumption answer choices:

1. Answers starting with the phrase “at least one” or “at least some” tend to be right
    2. Avoid answers that claim an idea was the most important consideration for the author
    3. Answers may contain negative statements

Day 5

I took practice test 50 before I went in for a follow up procedure today but unfortunately, I was in such a rush to make my appointment that I accidentally threw my answer sheet away before I had a chance to transfer the answers to my 7sage account. I don’t remember exactly which questions I got wrong, but I do remember the score breakdown as the following:

Section 1: Logical Reasoning (-1)

Section 2: Logic Games (-2)

Section 3: Reading Comprehension (-7)

Section 4: Logical Reasoning (-4)

Final score: 167

Raw score: 86

Despite the slight regression, I’m pretty happy about my performance. My state of mind wasn't ideal because I didn't get much sleep last night, didn't eat any breakfast, and was pretty distract throughout the test. This score tells me that I won't see many big score drops again.

Edit: Found the answer sheet! Got the section orders wrong but the score is still correct.

Section 1: Reading Comprehension (-7)

http://i.imgur.com/DV77ID8.png

Section 2: Logical Reasoning (-1)

http://i.imgur.com/IxqyzKI.png

Section 3: Logic Games (-2)

http://i.imgur.com/Yvm0ysk.png

http://i.imgur.com/sQvciBg.png

Day 6 + 7

I purchased 7sage’s ultimate course in the beginning of the year mainly for the practice tests and video explanations. I haven’t used any of the course materials yet but since I’m having so much trouble with the reading comprehension section, I think it’d be worth it to at least go through the video lessons on RC.

Final thoughts

Because of LSAC’s new licensing policy, my access to 7sage’s PDFs containing LSAT questions will end on April 21st. Although Cambridge and other distributors haven’t announced anything yet, I’m guessing they will also stop selling digital copies of LSAT tests in the near future. This is really bad news for future LSAT takers because it will make the LSAT preparation process far more difficult and expensive than it needs to be. Instead of students buying digital copies and printing out as many copies as they want, they now have to buy physical copies and photocopy them instead. This is such a waste of time and money, I really can’t fathom why LSAC would want to force students to do this.
Last edited by JustShowingUp on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:51 am

i like redheads wrote:It seems like u should post pone to october

I think the most ideal way to study for the LSAT is to do it over 12+ months and only sign up to take the test when you are consistently testing 3+ points above your target score. This way, you can casually study an hour a day and not stress out about any deadlines. Unfortunately, June is the only time I have to take the LSAT so I'll have to stick with it.

RunnerRunner wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:

Lol of course not, but those magazines are aimed at female audiences, which is why they are called "women's health magazines" instead of "health magazines." Same thing applies to "men's health magazines."

The article I linked was the first result of a google search I made. I didn't even know it was part of a woman's health publication, I just thought it was a good article and shared it. Does my gender really matter?

TypeAprobs wrote:Moral of the story: Get back into a proper head space and drill to earn those 10 points, do not let yourself fall into LSAT pitfalls, does not matter if you are taking in June or not, don't sell yourself short.

Planning on it!

kinglew wrote:Op did you finish reading the power score bibles before drilling and doing pt's or are you using the bibles as a reference a long the way?

I finished the LG and LR Bibles and I'm currently using the LR Bible as a reference.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:35 am

JustShowingUp wrote:The article I linked was the first result of a google search I made. I didn't even know it was part of a woman's health publication, I just thought it was a good article and shared it. Does my gender really matter?

No. I just thought that you were a woman, and thought that if you were you might take offense at people automatically assuming you were male, I was trying to be helpful. Really that post has been discussed too much though, let's move on people, and OP good luck on your test.

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Week 12: The Pop

Day 1

I took the day off and read a book.

Day 2

I had a great night of sleep. If I can wake up feeling this good on the test day, I’ll be very lucky. I changed three things about my routine yesterday that may have contributed to my good sleep:

1) I cleaned my bedroom.
    2) I took a multivitamin
    3) I followed this video’s directions to relax myself before falling asleep: https://youtu.be/Jyy0ra2WcQQ

Breakfast: Turkey cheddar bacon flatbread (Dunkin Donuts) + Coffee

Warm up: I reviewed wrong questions from the previous test I took as my warmup.

State of mind: As good as I physically feel right now, I still don’t have the best mentality going into this test. I’m not as focused as I want to be. I think I perform my best in high stakes situations when I go in with an aggressive and offensive mentality. Whether it’s sports, speech + debate, or any other competitive endeavor, being in an attack mode is crucial for success. If you are apprehensive, defensive, or passive, you’ve already lost the battle.

PT 51

http://i.imgur.com/GMRngU2.png

I had enough time left to go back and check three questions. I ended up correctly changing two of the answers. It’s great I finished quickly enough to have time to double check answers and accurately change them but I don’t like the fact I answered questions incorrectly on my first try. At this point, it’s not realistic to count on being able to finish early enough on each section to double check answers so it’s very important to cut down on my mistakes.

Section 2: Reading Comprehension (-6)

http://i.imgur.com/sjlnu4Y.png

According to 7sage’s ratings of the passages, this was a relatively difficult reading comprehension section. I also think having RC as the third section contributed to the difficulty because the third section is generally when I’m most tired. Regardless of the reason, I already know RC is my biggest weakness and I’ll spend most of my remaining 6 weeks preparing for it.

Section 3: Logical Reasoning (-1)

http://i.imgur.com/IcjIEwQ.png

I was running out of time and skipped #24 and did #25 first. Luckily, I had enough time to give #24 a good try and get the right answer.

Section 4: Logic Games (-0)

I finished 10 minutes early and I needed it. I went back to completely redo the second game because I didn’t catch all the inferences the first time. I felt A LOT more comfortable the second time around: everything became really obvious. This is the first time I scored perfectly on a section. The strange part is, I still don’t feel completely confident with logic games, I just feel comfortable enough with certain types of games to finish them quickly so that I have enough time to stumble through harder games.

Raw score: 92

Final score: 173

I’m pretty surprised by this score. I obviously didn’t gain enough skills in the past 3 days to justify a 6 point jump from my Thursday’s score of 167. The reason I did well today is mostly due to my better test taking mentality. Although I’m still a good bit away from feeling 100%, I do feel noticeably more focused and less distracted than I felt last week.

Day 3

I reviewed yesterday’s test and made flash cards out of the questions I missed. Also read chapter 1 of MLSAT’s Reading Comprehension book.

Day 4

I had another great night of sleep last night. Same routine as before: multivitamin + relaxing meditation. This will continue to be my routine until it stops working.

Breakfast: same as before. Turkey bacon cheddar flatbread + coffee

Warm up: same as before. Reviewed questions from the previous test.

State of mind: I still can’t bring the same intensity I brought two months ago but I still feel a lot better than last week.

PT 52

Section 1: Logical Reasoning (-2)

http://i.imgur.com/apeKmF0.png

Section 2: Logic Games (-1)

http://i.imgur.com/4L7EPtE.png

The second game had a lot of conditional rules and sucked up a lot of time. I finished with only a few minutes left and didn’t really have time to double check.

Section 3: Logical Reasoning (-2)

http://i.imgur.com/odK3aHB.png

Section 4: Reading Comprehension (-2)

http://i.imgur.com/lcdXeR8.png

This is my best RC performance yet. Part of the reason I did better here is because one of the questions was removed from scoring. The time I saved not doing that question went a long way to giving me enough time to do the rest of the section. I think I should start seeking out questions to skip until I can consistently score below -4 on this section.

Raw score: 92

Final score: 173

I’m pretty happy about the consistency I’m seeing with my LG and LR sections. With enough work, my RC will become equally consistent. The passages in the RC section were all really interesting, I never lost focus reading them. The only passage topic I hope I won’t see on the test day is anything art related. For some reason, my mind just shuts off when I read about art. Even in logic games, where the topic doesn’t really matter, I still have trouble interpreting games when they are presented in an art-related context.

Day 5

I reviewed the mistakes I made on the test and made flash cards.

Day 6

Another great night of sleep. I had the same multivitamin + meditation before sleep routine.

Breakfast: Coffee + Turkey cheddar bacon on flatbread.

Warm up: Reviewed flashcards of PT52

State of mind: I feel calm and relaxed. I am still not in the focused and aggressive mindset I prefer to be in, but I am more than thankful for good sleep + clarity of mind.

PT 53

http://i.imgur.com/1BQRoY4.png

I’m a bit surprised I got #8 wrong because I didn’t even mark it down as a hard question while I was taking the test. I fell for a trap answer and moved on before reading the rest of the answer choices. I’m not sure what the proper balance is in situations like this. Do I take more time to read all the other answers and risk running out of time or do I move quickly to build up a time surplus? I think this problem will diminish as my skill increases and I become more aware of potential trap answers but in the meantime, I should be more liberal in labeling questions I need to revisit. I’ve only been marking questions that were difficult so far, but I should also mark questions I answered without reading all the answers.

Overall, I felt really comfortable on this section. I was averaging a pace of under a minute per question through the first 15 or so questions. This gave me a lot of time for the harder questions towards the end of the section.

Section 2: Logic Games (-1)

http://i.imgur.com/SKWjQhN.png

I was averaging a pretty reasonable pace through the first three games and had over 10 minutes left for the last one. I think I lost a little bit of focus because of how much time I had left and I ran out of time on the last question.

Section 3: Logical Reasoning (-0)

My first perfect score on a logical reasoning section. I finished this section early and had a chance to correctly change my answer for question #7 from B to A. #7 was a 1 star question that 91% of test takers answer correctly, I’m not sure why I had trouble with it and why I answered it incorrectly the first time.

Section 4: Reading Comprehension (-7)

http://i.imgur.com/sYSmRxo.png

I don’t even know where to begin. The first passage took me a really long time to get through and caused me to rush through the rest of the passages. I skipped passage 3 because of how long it was and went back to it when I had only 4 minutes left but I somehow only answered 1 question wrong (I guessed D for every answer and changed the answers for the questions I felt like I had a good shot at getting right). I think I should have scored way worse on this section and I got lucky because of my guesses.

I think my performance on RC is largely dependent on the topics of the passages. The passages in the previous test were all really interesting to me so I went through them at a comfortable pace. The only passage I found interesting in this section was the last one but I was so rushed that I still got 3 questions wrong.

Raw score: 91

Final score: 172

I was really hoping to get a 176+ on this test and I really felt like I was on pace to do so by the time I took my break. The LR-LG-LR-RC structure is nearly perfect because LG acts as a small break between two relatively intensive LR sections and I get a full break before taking the RC section. The only way this structure could be better is if RC replaced the first LR section so I’m at my freshest when tackling the most difficult section.

172 doesn’t really reflect my performance on this test because I guessed a disproportionally high number of questions correctly for passage 3. However, it looks like I’m starting to see a lot of consistency on my LG and LR sections. My success on the test day will hinge on how consistent my RC is. With 6 weeks of preparation, I think it’s very probable I can make some serious progress on it. I think if I can average -2 on RC, I will have a very good shot at achieving my goal of 178 or better.

Day 7

Finished reading chapter 2 of MLSAT’s RC guide. I really like the reading for scale method of approaching passages that have contrasting positions.

Tip: When there’s two positions in a passage, the author usually takes the second one: “some say x, but actually y is true.”

Final thoughts

After two and half months, there’s finally some tangible progress to show for all the work. This was the “pop” I’ve been waiting for. I feel like things are starting to come together.

I am going to begin drilling RC next week. I've noticed that certain paragraphs of certain passages are harder to read and comprehend than others. These are the time suckers where my mistakes occur. I'm going to cut out these paragraphs and tape them onto flashcards to practice reading them. 7sage is really helpful because it gives a video explanation of how to approach and analyze each passage before doing the questions. I'm going to jot down the notes from these videos on the back of my flashcard to test myself.

I think I can approach RC the same way I approach LG. I don't need to read every passage equally well, I can focus on mastering just a few types of passages to save me time on other passages.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Nice improvement OP

I specifically remember PT 53s RC section, the jurisprudence one in general :evil:

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:10 pm

I also found the answer sheet from last week's PT 50. Here's the breakdown:

Section 1: Reading Comprehension (-7)

Section 3: Logic Games (-2)

Last edited by JustShowingUp on Sat May 16, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:25 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:Nice improvement OP

I specifically remember PT 53s RC section, the jurisprudence one in general :evil:

Thanks!

And yea, that passage left me with a total "WTF" feeling :lol:

Blueprint Ben

Postby Blueprint Ben » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Yes, awesome job this week OP! Congrats on the jump. I think you're right in assuming that your skills were there. You just needed a break and a fresh mindset. Keep pushing, and don't get down on yourself about that 53 RC section. It's not a fun one. Honestly, I still don't fully understand that jurisprudence passage, and I've done it like 10 times.

Well done.

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:26 pm

One suggestion, try to randomly place the unscored section, that way you can get used to having to give equal attention to section #5.

This advice might be controversial, but it the weeks leading to test day I might do one (max two) practice tests with the essay at the end. I know the essay doesn't count but schools do see it and I think I didn't do as well as I could have on it (and was mentally exhausted when I got there).

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat May 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Week 13: More Fuel for the Fire

Day 1

Took the day off.

Day 2

Finished chapter 3 of Manhattan’s LR book. A helpful tip is to visualize the content to help with retention. Similar to the memorization strategy of visualizing things you have to remember as part of a story or journey.

Day 3

Finished chapter 4.

Passage map: mental summary.

PT 54

I had the same pre-sleep and breakfast routine as last week but I didn’t really get good sleep. I think today’s testing condition will be more indicative of the actual test day’s condition.

Section 1: Reading Comprehension (-4)

I mentioned last week that I thought the RC-LG-LR-LR structure was the best structure because it allows me to tackle the hardest section (RC) first and gives me a chance to take a break with LG before doing the first LR section. However, I’m not so convinced about this anymore because it may be better to warm up a bit before jumping straight into RC. I also felt like I lost some confidence/momentum after doing the RC section.

I was caught off guard by the real answer to question 3, but this felt like a pretty easy LR section overall. I finished with a few minutes left.

Section 3: Logic Games (-0)

Logic Games have felt like cakewalks these past few tests, I work very casually through them and usually find myself finishing well ahead of the time limit. I finished more than 5 minutes early on this section and had time to double check my work and correctly changed the answer to #21.

Section 4: Logical Reasoning (-1)

I felt pretty confident about this section so I was pretty surprised by the -4. I need to thoroughly review this section.

Raw score: 91

Scaled score: 171

I felt pretty good about the test except for the RC section which never feels that good to me. I think it will take some time before I can incorporate the RC strategies I’ve been reading.

Day 4

I reviewed PT 54 and made flash cards.

Started Law RC packet

My approach to drilling RC is to use every strategy I’ve read from MLSAT, 7sage, and other online sources. This will be more work than I can do on the test day but my goal is to get used to using these strategies and slowly discard the ones that are not helpful until I’m left with the ones that are most effective.

First passage: Main point and primarily concerned with questions seem like the same question. The answer to the later question is just an abstract version of the former.

The only question type that look like will give me trouble is the author’s attitude ones.

Passage 2: If there’s two contrasting views, there will be questions about what the views are. So make sure to take time to identify them correctly.

Passage 3: When there’ contrasting views make sure you understand what they disagree on and why.

Passage 4: It’s taking me a long time to go through these passages but I’m getting all the questions correct. I’m hoping to pick up the pace once I get better.

Day 5

PT 55

Same routine as before

I felt like this was a pretty difficult LR section, I marked several questions for review.

Section 2: Reading Comprehension (-10)

I got destroyed on this section, wow. My mind pretty much went blank on the third passage, I couldn’t comprehend a thing! I think I must be a very uncultured person because the subjects of art and literature are just about the last things I’m curious about. I am almost exclusively a nonfiction reader. I like reading about things that teach me things I can use. I love reading about history, politics, science, economics, etc but the value of art and literature is almost completely lost on me. I haven’t even read a single book of Harry Potter! I tried reading a Harry book in middle school but my mind went blank the same way my mind went blank here.

I need to get myself more involved with art and literature. I need to find a way to make these subjects useful.

Section 3: Logical Reasoning (-2)

I don’t even remember what happened on this section, I was just in such a daze after the RC section.

Section 4: Logic Games (-1)

I finished early enough to correctly change #12’s answer but I missed #14. I think there was still some lingering concentration issues after knowing I bombed the RC section.

Section 5: Reading Comprehension (-4)

I did 4 law passages as my fifth section. Without time limit, I can answer every question correctly but with the time limit, I start making the same amount of mistakes as I do on regular test. I’m going to wait until I do harder passages for my RC drills to decide on what my issue is. I don’t think I have trouble with comprehension, I just need to get faster at reading.

Raw score: 86

Scaled score: 166

I’m just… bleh. Setbacks, just more fuel for the fire. Keep on keeping on. The way to destroy a weakness is to grind it away with work.

Day 6 + 7

Reviewed the test and made flash cards.

I’m sorry I didn’t include images for the tests, I’m a bit busy tonight (especially with the Floyd vs Manny fight and Spurs vs Clippers game 7) so I’ll edit my post tomorrow and add the images. I’ll also add some additional analytic stuff that 7sage has on my performances.
Last edited by JustShowingUp on Sun May 10, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sat May 02, 2015 5:39 pm

BP Ben wrote:Yes, awesome job this week OP! Congrats on the jump. I think you're right in assuming that your skills were there. You just needed a break and a fresh mindset. Keep pushing, and don't get down on yourself about that 53 RC section. It's not a fun one. Honestly, I still don't fully understand that jurisprudence passage, and I've done it like 10 times.

Well done.

Thanks Ben!

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Sun May 10, 2015 12:39 am

Week 14: More Reading Comprehension Drills

Day 1

Off

Day 2

Reviewed Manhattan RC chapters, did 9 passages in the law packet.

Day 3

Did 2 passages

Day 4

PT 56

Same routine but only with about 5 hours of sleep.

State of mind: I feel great despite the amount of sleep. I feel a little bit rusty because it’s been a while since I’ve taken a practice test, but I’m pretty curious to find out where I am. I’m going to take the test in a public area that has a good amount of distractions.

Section 1: Logic Games (-1)

I finished about 5 minutes early and didn’t really know where to start double checking. I felt like the section was relatively simple and served as a good warm up for the rest of the test.

Section 2: Logical Reasoning (-2)

Section 3: Logical Reasoning (-5)

I noticed this section was a lot harder than the previous LR section. The last few questions all seemed pretty difficult to me. I did so poorly here, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to redo the whole section again.

Section 4: Reading Comprehension (-3)

The first passage was really easy and gave me the time and confidence to tackle the other sections. This was the best I felt about my time management on an RC section that I’ve felt in a while.

Raw score: 89

Scaled score: 170

I’m really disappointed by how I did on the LR sections. I finished the first LR section early and was on a good pace for the second one but I still ended up with -7. This is especially disappointing since I did so much better on RC this time around.

The RC section was great because the first passage was really easy and I built a nice time surplus for the rest of the section. This is one of the first RC sections that I didn’t feel like I was rushed on.

On the next test, I need to be more liberal with circling questions I’m unsure about. I think I could have gotten a -0 on the LG if I circled my questions more aggressively and used my extra time to check hard questions.

Day 5

Reviewed the test.

I’m starting to do some eye exercises to help me read faster. The exercises basically involve me moving my eyes in a left and right motion as quickly as possible. I look a little silly doing the exercises but I do notice a boost in my reading speed after completing them.

I’m also reading a book to practice applying RC strategies.

Day 6

More law passages.

PT17-S4-P2 This passage is simple enough that I can read it and comprehend enough to get most or all of the questions correct under test conditions. But when I take my time to really dissect it, I still have trouble comprehending the passage fully. I feel like the LSAT’s abuse of pronouns sometimes cross into ungrammatical territory. For example, this is the second sentence of the second paragraph:

For Hart, the law consists of legal rules formulated in general terms; these terms he calls “open textured,” which means that they contain a “core” of settled meaning and a “penumbra” or “periphery” where their meaning is not determinate.

Isn’t the part of the sentence after the semicolon missing a main verb? I don’t think it’s a complete sentence.

What exactly is “which” referring to? Doesn’t “which” require a noun as an antecedent? Since the verb following “which” is singular, the antecedent of “which” must also be singular. I don’t see an appropriate singular noun that makes sense here. In addition, the use of “they” and “their” should refer to the same antecedent but they do not. “They” refers to “general/these terms” and “their” refers to a “penumbra” or “periphery”.

Can someone who is better with grammar take a stab at the sentence I quoted? Are there really grammatical mistakes in it? Or am I just misreading it?

And here’s a sentence from the third paragraph:

In Ronald Dworkin’s view the law is richer than Hart would grant; he denies that the law consists solely of explicit rules.

Who is “he” referring to? It is clearly meant to refer to Ronald Dworkin but the only person mentioned in the sentence is Hart. Ronald Dworkin cannot be the antecedent of “he” because the sentence only mentions Ronald Dworkin’s view, not him as a person. Even if Ronald Dworkin was mentioned, we are still left with an ambiguous pronoun because “he” can refer to either men.

I know there’s enough context to still comprehend these sentences correctly but can someone with better grammatical skills tell me if these sentences are grammatical?

Day 7

Read more books. I’m trying to spur more interest in LSAT topics I don’t like by reading related books I do like. For example, I don’t like reading about art, but I do enjoy reading about history, so I’m trying to get into reading art history books. This way if I ever start losing interest in an art related passage, I can switch to reading it from a historical perspective.

And I don’t enjoy reading overly abstract legal theory passages but I think I’ll like them a lot more if I put myself in the shoes of some revolutionary leader who’s trying to put together an effective judiciary and needs to actually apply the legal theories mentioned in LSAT passages. This way, I'll have a reason to care about the theories.

appind

Postby appind » Sun May 10, 2015 3:41 am

JustShowingUp wrote:
For Hart, the law consists of legal rules formulated in general terms; these terms he calls “open textured,” which means that they contain a “core” of settled meaning and a “penumbra” or “periphery” where their meaning is not determinate.

Isn’t the part of the sentence after the semicolon missing a main verb? I don’t think it’s a complete sentence.

What exactly is “which” referring to? Doesn’t “which” require a noun as an antecedent? Since the verb following “which” is singular, the antecedent of “which” must also be singular. I don’t see an appropriate singular noun that makes sense here. In addition, the use of “they” and “their” should refer to the same antecedent but they do not. “They” refers to “general/these terms” and “their” refers to a “penumbra” or “periphery”.

'which' refers to the "open textured." for non-restrictive clause beginning with 'which,' it would apply to the last noun-phrase before the comma. "they"/"their" refer to the same thing, it's clearly ambiguous construction i agree. you'd need to use context to figure that here both refer to the same object.

JustShowingUp wrote:And here’s a sentence from the third paragraph:

In Ronald Dworkin’s view the law is richer than Hart would grant; he denies that the law consists solely of explicit rules.

Who is “he” referring to? It is clearly meant to refer to Ronald Dworkin but the only person mentioned in the sentence is Hart. Ronald Dworkin cannot be the antecedent of “he” because the sentence only mentions Ronald Dworkin’s view, not him as a person. Even if Ronald Dworkin was mentioned, we are still left with an ambiguous pronoun because “he” can refer to either men.

I know there’s enough context to still comprehend these sentences correctly but can someone with better grammatical skills tell me if these sentences are grammatical?

technically, you're right about both these objections. these are ambiguous. there is another issue with the first sentence that it's not parallel in construction, but it's not necessarily ungrammatical; the notion of 'correct' grammar itself is debatable. the point regarding dworkin's view is valid. if you assume that the construction is grammatical, then you'd have to associate he with Hart.

JustShowingUp

Postby JustShowingUp » Mon May 11, 2015 12:24 am

appind wrote:
JustShowingUp wrote:

'which' refers to the "open textured." for non-restrictive clause beginning with 'which,' it would apply to the last noun-phrase before the comma. "they"/"their" refer to the same thing, it's clearly ambiguous construction i agree. you'd need to use context to figure that here both refer to the same object.

Do they/their both refer to the "terms"? Because if they do, then wouldn't the construction of the sentence be non-parallel? Here are the two parts I'm talking about:

which means that they contain a “core” of settled meaning

Here, the prepositional phrase after "core" modifies "core" and not "terms".

and a “penumbra” or “periphery” where their meaning is not determinate

Here, the part about meaning not being determinate should modify the periphery, but instead, it goes back to talking about the original terms and not the periphery part of the terms that was just brought up.

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Mon May 11, 2015 12:41 pm

"I’m sorry I didn’t include images for the tests, I’m a bit busy tonight (especially with the Floyd vs Manny fight and Spurs vs Clippers game 7) so I’ll edit my post tomorrow and add the images. I’ll also add some additional analytic stuff that 7sage has on my performances."

Are you a boxing and NBA-loving dude who reads women's health magazines, or a women's health magazine-loving chick who likes boxing and the NBA? I'm so confused - why is Bruce Jenner studying for the LSAT?

Jetlife

Postby Jetlife » Mon May 11, 2015 10:58 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:"I’m sorry I didn’t include images for the tests, I’m a bit busy tonight (especially with the Floyd vs Manny fight and Spurs vs Clippers game 7) so I’ll edit my post tomorrow and add the images. I’ll also add some additional analytic stuff that 7sage has on my performances."

Are you a boxing and NBA-loving dude who reads women's health magazines, or a women's health magazine-loving chick who likes boxing and the NBA? I'm so confused - why is Bruce Jenner studying for the LSAT?

Lol, hop off bro. Why are you so concerned?

Great thread OP! I really enjoy reading the weekly updates!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”