RC - passages of equal difficulty?

jayashae

RC - passages of equal difficulty?

Postby jayashae » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:56 pm

just finished preptest 47.

the last passage (natural science - about pathogens) was extremely easy to me. This is a common trend because I have a biology background (premed in undergrad, work in cancer lab presently). My question is, from a non-biased perspective, are all 4 passages of equal difficulty? I ask because I don't know if it's the subject matter that bores the hell out of me in usually 2/4 passages that require me to re-read things, or it's actually written in harder languages.

I'm trying to figure out whether I need to physically improve my reading comprehension skills, or just get used to reading passages that are more boring to me (i.e., gonna pick up the economist...)

edit: to gauge, I finished the last passage in less than 6 minutes, but some other ones I struggle to finish in under 10..
Last edited by jayashae on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Re: RC - passages of equal difficulty?

Postby Jeffort » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:53 pm

The difficulty level of each of the four (4) RC passages per section varies, they are not equal difficulty level. Some passages and/or set's of questions are designed to be more difficult than others in order to test various degrees of RC skills.

Boring/uninteresting subject matter certainly can influence your performance even if the passage/questions aren't high difficulty level since your level of interest can influence your level of concentration/how actively you read and absorb the material, which of course influences your ability to answer questions accurately too, but the difficulty level isn't primarily determined by how interesting or dry the topic/subject matter is. Interesting passages can be hard or easy and same thing with passages about dry/weird/who the F*ck cares about this! topics/subject matter many/most people don't think is intriguing to read.

Also, for each passage topic, some people will find it interesting and some people will hate it, so passages you find interesting are the same ones other people find extremely boring/uninteresting/confusing since it's a subjective personal preference issue. Due to that, objective difficulty level cannot logically be measured by/does not correlate with how boring or interesting the topic is since that is subjective and varies from person to person, whereas the complexity of the grammar, writing structure, vocabulary used, sentence structure complexity (compound/complex sentences, etc.) is an objective matter that makes some passages harder to read and understand properly than other passages for reasons other than your personal level of interest in the topic itself.

With less interesting topics and/or ones you loath (I personally abhor abstract literature ones, especially ones about poetry, literary devices and other off the wall literary concepts stuff, but really like science passages like you also seem to), you just have to force yourself to be interested in the topic to make sure you're actively reading and mentally engaged in the substance even if you hate it.

In essence, with some/many passages you might have to lie to yourself to force yourself to care about the topic in order to get your brain actively engaged in processing, absorbing and analyzing the text as you read rather than having the voice in your head constantly screaming/thinking to yourself "Who cares about this crap, I hate this topic/passage" while you're reading it since those types of thoughts distract from gaining full comprehension of the text into your head before heading into the questions.

PS: you should edit your post and fix the subject line, it says LR not RC.

jayashae

Postby jayashae » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply. Your post made me laugh :lol: :lol:

I have updated the post, thanks for heads up!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:35 pm

jayashae wrote:
Thanks a lot for your reply. Your post made me laugh :lol: :lol:

Cool, glad my post helped and brightened your day with a good laugh! Image

Don't get me started about the initial thoughts that pop into my mind whenever I re-read the LR questions when working with tutoring students that are about art with premises and crap about intrinsic and extrinsic value and qualities, aesthetic experiences and interactions and other airy fairy abstraco land bizzaro intangible Image are you talking about stuff.
I still kinda want to figure out which particular one or few of the 13 or 14 LSAC LSAT question writers are responsible for those ones so I can send them some emails with my thoughts and feelings about using those torturous topics for questions. ImageImageImage

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”