FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS GREY CONFIRMED!!!! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Who will be the first person you tell your score?

Parents
29%
Spouse
22%
Sibling/kids/Other family member
4%
Friends
15%
This Thread
9%
No one loves me
11%
What score?
9%

Total votes: 95

justabitunusual

Silver

Re: FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS

Post by justabitunusual » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:41 pm

TheProdigal wrote:
peppermint wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:If you don't leave every pot in the kitchen dirty you're doing it wrong. Then again, I'm used to having a paid dishwasher ten feet from me. I plate like a goddamned motherfucker.

14 years of my life in kitchens.
Wow! What makes you want to leave the culinary world for the legal world? (Don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable disclosing)
I never really got into fine dining; lets be honest, the money is the same if you're cooking at IHOP or for a James Beard winning chef. There's also very little career advancement and its extremely hard to move up within one location, you need to be applying for jobs at other places to become a sous or head chef. I got lucky I got out of that race when I did and landed in the kitchen at a Fortune 500 company with benefits, 401k, vacation and stock options. Its a deal pretty much unheard of in the restaurant industry, so I'm pleased. I've got a number of friends still chasing the prestige of working in fine dining, working for $10-12/hr (or in kitchen equipment when they don't pay you for the month before they go bankrupt) and $40k or more in culinary school loans. I remember having to drive myself to the hospital bleeding from my hand after one of the knives they were too cheap to sharpen pulled a bag with it, and my hand into the blade. I don't regret the decision to get out of that kind of environment.

They also never tell you that your hands stop working so well after a few years. You lose fine motor control and things start slipping out of your hands. That's not a metaphor. I also have scars across almost all of my knuckles from a skin reaction to wearing vinyl gloves 8 hours per day for years -- my hands swelled up so much that I couldn't bend my fingers without bleeding from my knuckles. All of my fingernails fell off at the same time and they've never grown back quite as strong as they used to be.

I suppose that doesn't really answer your question. I've some ambitions that go beyond food service, and the career opportunities aside, the third-party validation offered by an elite law degree is a powerful thing. Long-term, the wife is going to be doing mental health counseling, so it would be great if we could work together in some capacity -- we're currently talking about asylum and immigration work.
I've heard similar stories from friends in the culinary field sadly (not all have had this experience, but many have), and I even had one friend go so far as to say it took the joy out of cooking when he had to do it for a living, but I guess that just depends person to person.

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:42 pm

peppermint wrote:
schmelling wrote:not a soup, but a one pot dinner that you can be scaled easily for dinner for one or a whole family: Shakshuka

its a middle eastern dish. you basically sautee garlic onions and peppers and whatever spices you want, add a can off crushed tomatoes, or chop them fresh yourself. Add herbs if you like, then crack a bunch of eggs on top. Put a lid on the pan and let the eggs cook to your liking, and eat it all with a metric ton of bread.

That's the basic version, but you can basically do this any number of ways. I've added meat, shrimp, goat cheese, jalapenos, whatever is around. I always add a handful of greens and let it wilt before I add the eggs for a little extra nutrition.
I need to make more middle eastern food. It's my favorite cuisine but I've always been too intimidated to try to make anything other than baba ghanoush and different variations of hummus. I also make a decent sumac roast chicken but that's about it.
Tabbouleh is easy to make and shawarma is delicious. I grew up in the largest middle eastern community in the states and their cuisine is by far my favorite.

The Avatar

Bronze

Post by The Avatar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Mod edit: Too many specifics in this post, and I'm not selectively editing them out.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:43 pm

The stars are causing me depression

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:44 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:
TetrisBlock wrote:
If you're cooking on a stove top you really don't need a recipe, just put some olive oil or butter in a pan and then start cooking. When I'm baking I need a recipe, but I know how to cook vegetables/meat/eggs on the stove top with the seasonings I want. Just have a well stocked spice rack and decide after you've already put the meat in.

I think you're right ab the stovetop, but I'm a much better baker than cook, although the things I do cook I cook very well
Same here! I can bake just about anything, but I'm less confident in my cooking skills (save a few dishes). Oh well.

Also, I LOVE Louisiana, though NOLA isn't the part I'm most familiar with!
I don't actually live in NOLA, but about 20-30 minutes across the bridge from it, but it's just easier to say that bc it's where most ppl would know, but we do go over there often...where in LA are you familiar with and love?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Geez you guys are making me want some Mediterranean food! Anyway, I will catch up with you guys later :)

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:49 pm

justabitunusual wrote:
I've heard similar stories from friends in the culinary field sadly (not all have had this experience, but many have), and I even had one friend go so far as to say it took the joy out of cooking when he had to do it for a living, but I guess that just depends person to person.
This is also a really good point. Its all by rote, its nothing like coming at home for the love of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:53 pm

So... I'm in a dilemma now y'all. Inspired by all the talk about food, I made myself something great but I have nothing to enjoy it with. Any recommendations for great movies/tv shows?!

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:54 pm

i just woke up from what i'm pretty sure was the best nap in the history of naps

hey guyz

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:54 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:So... I'm in a dilemma now y'all. Inspired by all the talk about food, I made myself something great but I have nothing to enjoy it with. Any recommendations for great movies/tv shows?!
I'm watching the Judge.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 pm

leslieknope wrote:i just woke up from what i'm pretty sure was the best nap in the history of naps

hey guyz
I just finished lifting with some ppl. I'm off to in-n-out.

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 pm

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:56 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:56 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:So... I'm in a dilemma now y'all. Inspired by all the talk about food, I made myself something great but I have nothing to enjoy it with. Any recommendations for great movies/tv shows?!
Good food and movie? Chef is on Netflix. A fun film and very funny and it's about food!

ETA: scooped. We all thought the same thing.
Last edited by The Abyss on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadwomanintheAttic

Bronze

Post by MadwomanintheAttic » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:56 pm

The LSAT has consumed so much of my life for so long. I don't know what to do. Like, I have options now other than drill or practice test!

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:57 pm

justabitunusual wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:
peppermint wrote:Wow! What makes you want to leave the culinary world for the legal world? (Don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable disclosing)
I never really got into fine dining; lets be honest, the money is the same if you're cooking at IHOP or for a James Beard winning chef. There's also very little career advancement and its extremely hard to move up within one location, you need to be applying for jobs at other places to become a sous or head chef. I got lucky I got out of that race when I did and landed in the kitchen at a Fortune 500 company with benefits, 401k, vacation and stock options. Its a deal pretty much unheard of in the restaurant industry, so I'm pleased. I've got a number of friends still chasing the prestige of working in fine dining, working for $10-12/hr (or in kitchen equipment when they don't pay you for the month before they go bankrupt) and $40k or more in culinary school loans. I remember having to drive myself to the hospital bleeding from my hand after one of the knives they were too cheap to sharpen pulled a bag with it, and my hand into the blade. I don't regret the decision to get out of that kind of environment.

They also never tell you that your hands stop working so well after a few years. You lose fine motor control and things start slipping out of your hands. That's not a metaphor. I also have scars across almost all of my knuckles from a skin reaction to wearing vinyl gloves 8 hours per day for years -- my hands swelled up so much that I couldn't bend my fingers without bleeding from my knuckles. All of my fingernails fell off at the same time and they've never grown back quite as strong as they used to be.

I suppose that doesn't really answer your question. I've some ambitions that go beyond food service, and the career opportunities aside, the third-party validation offered by an elite law degree is a powerful thing. Long-term, the wife is going to be doing mental health counseling, so it would be great if we could work together in some capacity -- we're currently talking about asylum and immigration work.
^why I didn't go to culinary school. Theoretically I'd be happy if all I did all day was tinker around with pastry, but realistically like five people get to be Pierre Herme and the rest have to frost vanilla cupcakes all day. Nothing against vanilla cupcakes but no thank you.

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:57 pm

peppermint wrote:
nlee10 wrote:
leslieknope wrote:i just woke up from what i'm pretty sure was the best nap in the history of naps

hey guyz
Don't forget to eat poptarts or Jacks & I will never forgive you :evil:
It shall be my desert.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:57 pm

peppermint wrote:Prodigal, I know what you mean. I'm not in the culinary world but one of my roomies (the one who makes the gourmet poptarts) is a culinary school grad & she works so incredibly hard & the sheer amount of injuries that she has to deal with on a regular basis is scary. I've also heard that there's a lot of drama and politics that goes on behind the scenes in the kitchen & she really hates it. She's studying for GMAT right now so she might be leaving the culinary scene soon too.
Office politics, but with knives and more borderline personalities.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:58 pm

nlee10 wrote:
peppermint wrote:
nlee10 wrote:

hey guyz
Don't forget to eat poptarts or Jacks & I will never forgive you :evil:
It shall be my desert.
Gawd I haven't had in n out in so long

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:59 pm

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:59 pm

nlee10 wrote: I just finished lifting with some ppl. I'm off to in-n-out.
THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA
peppermint wrote:

hey guyz
I was wondering where you were, you missed all the food talk!
Hey Pep! I'm eating some really delicious celebratory tiramisu right now. Nom nom.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”