FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS GREY CONFIRMED!!!!

Who will be the first person you tell your score?

Parents
29%
Spouse
22%
Sibling/kids/Other family member
4%
Friends
15%
This Thread
9%
No one loves me
11%
What score?
9%

Total votes: 95

justabitunusual

Re: FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Dirigo wrote:
nlee10 wrote:tis finally raining in socal!

Tis finally above freezing in New York.
Tomorrow high of 10 though :|

It got up to 75 here today, but it has been breezy, so it's nice out :)

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:33 pm

peppermint wrote:
RaiderRed wrote:I'll go tonight and try to get all this! Do you have a good risotto to make with it too?

When do you strain it?

My fave risotto recipe is this mushroom-peas risotto from NYT:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017022-mushroom-risotto-with-peas

I've also had a really good lemony broccoli risotto before but don't have a recipe for that unfortunately

Basically, I've decided I'm just going to hire you and schmell to do all my cooking from here on out. Idk why but stocks/broths have intimidated me for a while. I guess I usually just use vegetable broth in almost everything I make. All those bones, etc. floating around in my pot grosses me out a little. Do you guys ever make a vegetable stock for any reason?

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 pm

schmelling wrote:
peppermint wrote:
RaiderRed wrote:I'll go tonight and try to get all this! Do you have a good risotto to make with it too?

When do you strain it?

My fave risotto recipe is this mushroom-peas risotto from NYT:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017022-mushroom-risotto-with-peas

I've also had a really good lemony broccoli risotto before but don't have a recipe for that unfortunately

that recipe looks great. seasoning the stock before you reduce it to nothing is blasphemous though.

Yeah I never really add salt or most spices till near the end of the cooking process or else it's just way too intense

Tbh, I don't even follow recipes as written :oops: I use them as starting points for ideas & then just start throwing in random stuff 95% of the time, haha

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Post removed.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:44 pm

justabitunusual wrote:Basically, I've decided I'm just going to hire you and schmell to do all my cooking from here on out. Idk why but stocks/broths have intimidated me for a while. I guess I usually just use vegetable broth in almost everything I make. All those bones, etc. floating around in my pot grosses me out a little. Do you guys ever make a vegetable stock for any reason?

I have an abundance of vegetarian family members, so I make vegetable stock sometime! I actually have a bag in my freezer where I keep root ends, half veggies I'm not going to use, peel, etc. When it fills up, I use it to make stock.

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:45 pm

schmelling wrote:
peppermint wrote:Tbh, I don't even follow recipes as written :oops: I use them as starting points for ideas & then just start throwing in random stuff 95% of the time, haha

My kinda gal.

:wink:

I think my best culinary creations are the ones where I have no clue what I'm doing or run out of ingredients so I just improvise

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:53 pm

leslieknope wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:Basically, I've decided I'm just going to hire you and schmell to do all my cooking from here on out. Idk why but stocks/broths have intimidated me for a while. I guess I usually just use vegetable broth in almost everything I make. All those bones, etc. floating around in my pot grosses me out a little. Do you guys ever make a vegetable stock for any reason?

I have an abundance of vegetarian family members, so I make vegetable stock sometime! I actually have a bag in my freezer where I keep root ends, half veggies I'm not going to use, peel, etc. When it fills up, I use it to make stock.

I make vegetable stock a lot & also keep leftover veggie parts in my freezer. It's the best way to use up every single bit of the vegetable & the stock just tastes so delicious, esp if you throw in some herbs like rosemary

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:07 pm

peppermint wrote:
leslieknope wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:Do you guys ever make a vegetable stock for any reason?

I make vegetable stock a lot & also keep leftover veggie parts in my freezer. It's the best way to use up every single bit of the vegetable & the stock just tastes so delicious, esp if you throw in some herbs like rosemary

Ok, so are you guys discriminatory in the veggie parts you store? And did you start with an initial recipe or blueprint that I could model? I guess I can just look up a generic recipe, but just curious if you guys had a preferred method?

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Crock pot
Beef or pork
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Onions
Celery
Potatoes
Turn on for 8 hours
Thats why I can make the house smell awesome and can't get onto Chopped...

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:26 pm

justabitunusual wrote:
peppermint wrote:
leslieknope wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:Do you guys ever make a vegetable stock for any reason?

Ok, so are you guys discriminatory in the veggie parts you store? And did you start with an initial recipe or blueprint that I could model? I guess I can just look up a generic recipe, but just curious if you guys had a preferred method?

I just use the ends of carrots, zucchini, celery that's starting to go soft, etc. I don't use eggplant or bell peppers b/c that gives it a mild bitterish taste, but pretty much any leftover veggies you have can go into the stock. I also freeze herbs that are starting to wilt so I throw some of those in there as well (parsley, sage, rosemary, etc). Not too many different herbs at once though or the flavors will compete against each other. Add an onion or some leeks, and bay leaves to round out the flavor

If you don't mind a mushroomy flavor, you can also throw in some mushrooms. I find that it adds that umami flavor & is quite delicious. I don't make mushroom stock that often though b/c I rarely have leftover mushrooms & there are often certain dishes I make that would make the mushroom flavor stand out too much, so I tend to stick to plain veggie stock

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:36 pm

ADVICE PLEASE - I am working on my optional law school essay question. I could do the video option and submit a video of me twerking in front of a green screen, and replace the green screen in Adobe with various law scenes: US Supreme Court in dogs, school library, school main entrance
I just don't know what music to put to the video.

Suggestions?

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:40 pm

storpappa wrote:ADVICE PLEASE - I am working on my optional law school essay question. I could do the video option and submit a video of me twerking in front of a green screen, and replace the green screen in Adobe with various law scenes: US Supreme Court in dogs, school library, school main entrance

Suggestions?

IMO, anything Beyoncé or Miley Cyrus is the TCR

If rock, then ACDC's Highway to Hell or Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer 8)

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:41 pm

storpappa wrote:ADVICE PLEASE - I am working on my optional law school essay question. I could do the video option and submit a video of me twerking in front of a green screen, and replace the green screen in Adobe with various law scenes: US Supreme Court in dogs, school library, school main entrance

Suggestions?

I think this is your best bet:

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:42 pm

peppermint wrote:

Suggestions?

IMO, anything Beyoncé or Miley Cyrus is the TCR

If rock, then ACDC's Highway to Hell or Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer 8)

I could start out with Beyonce, and then in the title lower third put up "What are my chances of getting into your law school?

And then switch to Living on a prayer

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:47 pm

peppermint wrote:I just use the ends of carrots, zucchini, celery that's starting to go soft, etc. I don't use eggplant or bell peppers b/c that gives it a mild bitterish taste, but pretty much any leftover veggies you have can go into the stock. I also freeze herbs that are starting to wilt so I throw some of those in there as well (parsley, sage, rosemary, etc). Not too many different herbs at once though or the flavors will compete against each other. Add an onion or some leeks, and bay leaves to round out the flavor

If you don't mind a mushroomy flavor, you can also throw in some mushrooms. I find that it adds that umami flavor & is quite delicious. I don't make mushroom stock that often though b/c I rarely have leftover mushrooms & there are often certain dishes I make that would make the mushroom flavor stand out too much, so I tend to stick to plain veggie stock

Good to know ab not using the bell pepper, bc I woulda done that

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:47 pm

I start playing Tootsie Roll and look at the ad Google puts on it - HAHAHA

adil91

Postby adil91 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Globally engaged

WTF does that even mean?

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:24 pm

haha...too funny

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:40 am, edited 7 times in total.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Is it beneficial to have legal contacts to find employment post graduation?

I know the lawyers in a large Boston firm, but they specialize in the automotive industry. The firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:53 pm

How long/short should a why x essay be?

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:54 pm

justabitunusual wrote:How long/short should a why x essay be?

About a page double spaced, usually.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Yale is 250 words. I have seen several spell out a word or page length in the submissions section on LSAC

Double spaced, header Name Tile Lxxxx

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”