FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS GREY CONFIRMED!!!!

Who will be the first person you tell your score?

Parents
29%
Spouse
22%
Sibling/kids/Other family member
4%
Friends
15%
This Thread
9%
No one loves me
11%
What score?
9%

Total votes: 95

landshoes
is that cool?

Re: FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS

Postby landshoes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Living in Boston right now gives me a whole new appreciation for New York City...

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:16 pm

EvergreenStateLady wrote:So rankings don't matter, thoroughly investigating each school matters but rankings can be a good start for helping to decide which schools you should be thoroughly researching. I'm certain you know all this and most people on here do but just in case wanted to put this out there.

Ok, here goes tl/dr for the day for me...lol

Right, this along w what Rigo was saying ab the rankings amongst "tie-breaker" schools is something I thought was understood... I mean, all things considered, and everything being equal in the school you want to go to (including considerations for the type of law and everything else that matters to you)...when you're faced w a ranked school vs free TTT or even just a little bit lower ranked school, I feel like the rank matters.

And the rank being determined by USNews / abovethelaw is different, but close enough to the same that when considering rank in whatever context, they're both prob sufficient to get the idea of which school is "better," in terms of employment outcome. However, we could refer ourselves to sites such as third tier reality blogspot (idk why but the url was not linking properly) to see that the ranking system in itself if skewed, etc. etc.

And this is coming from someone who is strongly considering a full ride to Tulane if it becomes available (as opposed to shooting for a "higher" school w less scholly/sticker, bc of all the other considerations, esp that to do w family, etc. that I personally have to make).

I was really just making it clear that rankings are going to be important when faced w competition that has gone to a higher ranked school and everything else is even. Schmell had said we are entering a a diff job market from our predecessors, and I meant to highlight that bc jobs are scarce and competition is high (in most areas), when it comes down to you or another guy who comes in with a "better" school, the other guy prob has the advantage when all other factors are considered equal.

Granted, in what situation will that ever be the case, since every individual brings something different to the table and potentially has a lot more to offer than just their scholarly merit...so in that sense I see the argument that ranking is unimportant, but in the off chance someone is applying to a place that weeds out based on school prestige before even looking at other factors, there is something to be said for ranking.
Last edited by justabitunusual on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:18 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
Big Red wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Dirigo wrote:I think just the general liveliness of NYC will inspire me. I'll want to be a part of that.

:roll:

How's nyc shak? A jaded New Yorker is definitely my favorite kind

NYC is great! Best part of my day is when I'm in a crowded subway car and some goober is standing really close to me.

But then a man in a well-tailored blue suit steps onto the platform and you decide you live in the best city ever. Or you see someone in a beautiful outfit. Or a hideous one. Someone with genuine musical talent plays for the car when you don't have a headache. It's the weekend and you are traveling to the far borough and know sunshine is waiting for you as soon as you emerge from the steps. You are on your way to a sample sale. You spot your middle school crush during your morning transfer. Someone is wearing a Rangers cap and you are excited to see them kick Bruin ass that night. A seat opens up right in front of you when you are on your way home from work. You have just booked Pump Up Pilates classes and are in headed to the gym and you are pumped, practically sprinting your way through the station. ETC, ETC.

The subway is magical and I will not have anyone tell me otherwise.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 pm

landshoes wrote:Living in Boston right now gives me a whole new appreciation for New York City...

Say more.

Boston feels pretty inadequate to me. I'm not sure why it's compared to NYC. By compared, I mean regarded as highly as NY.

ETA: Oh, sfogs - I never said I didn't like the subway. :mrgreen:

Also, this.
Last edited by Shakawkaw on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Post removed.

Postby santoki » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:26 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by santoki on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:27 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Smallville on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:30 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:41 am, edited 7 times in total.

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Smallville wrote: :mrgreen:

tl/dr's come in two's :wink:

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38 pm

I actually love Chicago. It's a very fun city. It strikes me as the perfect balance between Boston and NYC. I am also a fan of DC's metro, but it's expensive af to live there. NYC 4 lyfe tho. I think I'll start to appreciate it more once I leave the nest.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
landshoes wrote:Living in Boston right now gives me a whole new appreciation for New York City...

Say more.

Boston feels pretty inadequate to me. I'm not sure why it's compared to NYC. By compared, I mean regarded as highly as NY.

ETA: Oh, sfogs - I never said I didn't like the subway. :mrgreen:

Also, this.

This is beautiful and hilarious all at once.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:I actually love Chicago. It's a very fun city. It strikes me as the perfect balance between Boston and NYC. I am also a fan of DC's metro, but it's expensive af to live there. NYC 4 lyfe tho. I think I'll start to appreciate it more once I leave the nest.

It's been my experience that those of us who grew up near or in the city stay here forever, but those who moved here are much quicker to move away.

"Uses a sample population that may not be representative." LSAT taught me nothing.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:51 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:I actually love Chicago. It's a very fun city. It strikes me as the perfect balance between Boston and NYC. I am also a fan of DC's metro, but it's expensive af to live there. NYC 4 lyfe tho. I think I'll start to appreciate it more once I leave the nest.

It's been my experience that those of us who grew up near or in the city stay here forever, but those who moved here are much quicker to move away.

"Uses a sample population that may not be representative." LSAT taught me nothing.

I should have clarified - by leave the nest, I mean get my own bachelorette pad in Krooklyn. I enjoyed going away to school in Western Mass though and GT and I have a weekend house in CT that's nice to escape to. :mrgreen: The convenience of the city just wins me over. I can't live somewhere where "late" is considered 7 p.m. and everything starts closing at 8 p.m. There are way too many sketchballs in NY, but I guess that adds to the charm. I have looked into purchasing mace. It's surprisingly very accessible.
Last edited by Shakawkaw on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:51 pm

I agree. First time in Chicago last year, and I loved it. It doesn't quite have the dense urban setting that Boston/NYC have, but I really enjoyed the architecture and general vibe. Lots of good food, too.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:55 pm

storpappa wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
RaiderRed wrote:
storpappa wrote:If you want to be an entertainment lawyer working at the corporate offices of Walt Disney Company, go to Barry and buy season tickets to the parks?

Is this for real?

Do you really have to ask with storpappa?

this is a circus thread after all .... and one with sicilian pie spelled wrong in the poll :)

I bet I could do it.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Everyone I know that has lived in NYC and moved away hated it while they were there and then complain about wanting to go back and missing it once leaving.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Things that are worse in Boston compared to NYC

--winter
--train transit (buses are actually okayish)
--winter
--being a pedestrian
--food and grocery shopping, especially with an oddball diet
--meeting new people who aren't snobs
--bars, especially for interesting beers or drinks
--winter

To some extent it's a personality thing, and there are decent things about Boston, but the two winters I've been here have been insanely miserable. This year it is genuinely dangerous to be a pedestrian. Last year it was cold and cloudy for 4.5 months straight, IIRC.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
sfoglia wrote:

I should have clarified - by leave the nest, I mean get my own bachelorette pad in Krooklyn. I enjoyed going away to school in Western Mass though and GT and I have a weekend house in CT that's nice to escape to. :mrgreen: The convenience of the city just wins me over. I can't live somewhere where "late" is considered 7 p.m. and everything starts closing at 8 p.m. There are way too many sketchballs in NY, but I guess that adds to the charm. I have looked into purchasing mace. It's surprisingly very accessible.

There is something to be said for the city that never sleeps...I mean I live in the suburban type area and everything close pretty early right near my house, so that when I was trying to study for lsat sometimes the best option (the place that stayed open the latest during the week) was chick-fil-a open til 10! That was a crap study spot, lol...but prob prepared me for the situation where a group of 20 high schoolers enter your test room and talk/shout loudly right across from you without any concern that you're there.

Also, girl I bought some mace for the first time when I was 12...lol...get you some! Now I also have a taser and some other options. But mace should be on your next shopping list!

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:25 pm

So we should be getting our scores in 9-10ish days?

CambrianExplosives

Postby CambrianExplosives » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:28 pm

nlee10 wrote:So we should be getting our scores in 9-10ish days?

That's the hope. It will definitely be here within the next two weeks, but hopefully it will be released next Friday.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:42 pm

CambrianExplosives wrote:

That's the hope. It will definitely be here within the next two weeks, but hopefully it will be released next Friday.

If we got our scores on the 27th, that'd be ideal so I can still toss up a few hail mary's if need be. Or they could just come out on the 3rd and be amazing and make me change my life plan. That'd be cool with me too.

CambrianExplosives

Postby CambrianExplosives » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:45 pm

RaiderRed wrote:
CambrianExplosives wrote:

If we got our scores on the 27th, that'd be ideal so I can still toss up a few hail mary's if need be. Or they could just come out on the 3rd and be amazing and make me change my life plan. That'd be cool with me too.

It feels a little weird of a thing to hope for, but I'm rooting for you to need to change your life plan. It would be great for you if you got an amazing score so I'm pulling for that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”