FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS GREY CONFIRMED!!!!

Who will be the first person you tell your score?

Parents
29%
Spouse
22%
Sibling/kids/Other family member
4%
Friends
15%
This Thread
9%
No one loves me
11%
What score?
9%

Total votes: 95

EvergreenStateLady

Re: FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 am

leslieknope wrote:
EvergreenStateLady wrote:
peppermint wrote:Haha, ok I have to admit the brown table guy has super sophisticated recipes but he's prob one of the best to make you think outside the box when it comes to cooking.

For example, this recipe: http://www.abrowntable.com/home/polenta ... ange-sauce

It's pretty advanced but I like it b/c it made me realize that corn & blood oranges go well together. The next time I feel like making a sweet cornbread or something else using corn, I can pair it with blood oranges or another citrus & it'll be awesome

Also, check out Oh She Glows. I'm not a vegan but her recipes are so delish

CE's mother loves this site and I've read some of the recipes and really liked the looks of them.
http://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/
I bought her the book version of the site for Christmas.
http://smile.amazon.com/Smitten-Kitchen ... 30759565X/

I also bought her this cookbook for Christmas that has some good recipes. She made the apricot thyme scones for us once and they were super delicious.
http://smile.amazon.com/Ovenly-Sweet-Re ... 373892950/

I have and love the SK cookbook. Everything I've made from it has turned out amazing.

Also hey guys, I'm kind of drunk. Manhattans are great.

Lol. I've never actually had a Manhattan before but I've never actually liked a mix drink before that had liquor in it. The only thing I can deal with are certain wines, beer, and hard cider. Mix drinks always taste too much like cough syrup too me and I've tasted some cocktails that everyone around me considered to be good.

I haven't cooked anything from SK yet but I plan to. Any recipes you especially love?

Also earlier today the thread was moving so fast I was having a hard time keeping up. :P

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:14 am

I'm finally going to bed after halfway finishing my taxes...ugh! I just wanted to say Yay!! We made it to page 170!!! What? Nobody knows? Yeah 170 is the new 180!!!

At least in my delusional, sleepless mind it is...lol :roll:

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:15 am

Dirigo wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:
schmelling wrote:they entered and graduated in a very different hiring economy than we will.

this is the reason rank is so important now

Rank doesn't matter. It's costs and employment outcomes. Rankings are super arbitrary and mislead people into making terrible decisions.

I super agree with this.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:16 am

EvergreenStateLady wrote:Lol. I've never actually had a Manhattan before but I've never actually liked a mix drink before that had liquor in it. The only thing I can deal with are certain wines, beer, and hard cider. Mix drinks always taste too much like cough syrup too me and I've tasted some cocktails that everyone around me considered to be good.

I haven't cooked anything from SK yet but I plan to. Any recipes you especially love?

Also earlier today the thread was moving so fast I was having a hard time keeping up. :P

You should try the mushroom lasagna, it's pretty easy but 1000% delicious. I also love her cranberry orange breakfast buns and use the dough to make all sorts of sticky bun kind things.

Also I recommend mojitos and margaritas as gateway drinks to mixed drinks! Manhattans are too boozy if that's not what you're seeking out. I love bellinis too but those are wine-based.

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:31 am

justabitunusual wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:
schmelling wrote:they entered and graduated in a very different hiring economy than we will.

this is the reason rank is so important now

Rank doesn't matter. It's costs and employment outcomes. Rankings are super arbitrary and mislead people into making terrible decisions.

Yeah but rank is somewhat determined by costs and employment so that's kinda what I meant, that depending on where you want to work- the higher ranked the school generally translates into better/ more likely opportunities for job prospects ...unless i'm missing something here

The ranks on US News are not counting employment stats as important as they should be in my opinion. I prefer abovethelaws rankings but their rankings place too much importance on biglaw jobs for people who don't want biglaw but they place a lot of importance in employment.

Also there are certain things that rankings make certain schools seem worse than they are. Like supposedly the majority of school funded jobs from UVA are actually good jobs compared to most school's school funded jobs, there are a few other t14's that also have worthwhile school funded jobs but most rankings completely discount them because for the majority of law schools they are a terrible outcome.

Also for example the jobs included in the business section; for some law schools business is a terrible outcome but for a few T14's and other schools the business jobs that people are getting tend to be very good jobs. For example most of Northwestern's businesses jobs people get paid well and many people self selected a business job over a biglaw job. Lists that rank schools usually consider business a bad outcome since the business job category is so broad; everything from McDonald's sales associate to large company COO gets put as business.

Also for example say you got into Harvard, Stanford, and Yale and you wanted to do IP law. Stanford would probably be the best school to choose if you are certain about IP law even though Yale is higher ranked because you will be living in a better area for IP law and you will be better able to network to get the job you want since Stanford is known for their IP law. But if you did chose Yale other Stanford it shouldn't be because Yale is ranked #1 it should be for other reasons.

There are so many things to consider that don't go into rankings like what kind of grading system a school uses, what clinics they offer, whether the OCI interviews are determined through preselect or lottery, how easy it is to get into a journal and how good the journals are, how you get to pick what classes you take in 2L and 3L, what a school is known for, the climate, CoL, whether you can become an instate student after a year, how easily will it be for your SO to get a job in their field, what student organizations are available, etc... And of course most importantly employment statistics, especially the more in depth statistics.

So rankings don't matter, thoroughly investigating each school matters but rankings can be a good start for helping to decide which schools you should be thoroughly researching. I'm certain you know all this and most people on here do but just in case wanted to put this out there.

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:54 am

leslieknope wrote:
EvergreenStateLady wrote:Lol. I've never actually had a Manhattan before but I've never actually liked a mix drink before that had liquor in it. The only thing I can deal with are certain wines, beer, and hard cider. Mix drinks always taste too much like cough syrup too me and I've tasted some cocktails that everyone around me considered to be good.

You should try the mushroom lasagna, it's pretty easy but 1000% delicious. I also love her cranberry orange breakfast buns and use the dough to make all sorts of sticky bun kind things.

Also I recommend mojitos and margaritas as gateway drinks to mixed drinks! Manhattans are too boozy if that's not what you're seeking out. I love bellinis too but those are wine-based.

I love mushrooms so maybe I'll make mushroom lasagna sometime. Cranberry orange breakfast buns sound delicious especially if they are similar to sticky buns.

Sticky buns are better than cinnamon rolls imo. Best sticky bun I've ever had was out in the middle of nowhere in OR from a food truck. The Oregon Star Party is awesome and I highly recommend West Coast people who love star gazing to go. The food truck is open until 1 or 2 in the morning. Nothing beats eating a cheeseburger with fried ham or a hot sticky bun at 1 am while viewing stars with the darkest, clearest sky you can imagine. Just looked at their site the old food truck doesn't seem to go to the Star Party anymore. This year they will have a different food truck but the food still looks good. Maybe they will stay open later - hopefully not close earlier.

https://www.oregonstarparty.org/oregons ... outUs.aspx

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:58 am

Dirigo wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:this is the reason rank is so important now

Yeah but rank is somewhat determined by costs and employment so that's kinda what I meant, that depending on where you want to work- the higher ranked the school generally translates into better/ more likely opportunities for job prospects ...unless i'm missing something here

Rank is a lot of BS stuff like library size, incoming class stats, peer reputation, etc. Stuff that doesn't mean anything for you as a student in a professional school wanting a professional job.
I guess for large differences, it's slightly meaningful. A school ranked 20 is better than a school ranked 100, but is a school ranked 50 any better than a school ranked 70? probably not.

I prefer this list to the US news list:
http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2014-law ... -rankings/

But it also has its flaws, all rankings do.

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:05 am

justabitunusual wrote:I'm finally going to bed after halfway finishing my taxes...ugh! I just wanted to say Yay!! We made it to page 170!!! What? Nobody knows? Yeah 170 is the new 180!!!

I want to do my taxes but my W2's haven't gotten to me yet. Called my work today but I'll need to call again tomorrow to figure out what is going on. Maybe they got lost in the mail.

Lol. Woohoo I'll celebrate anything! 170 is great even if 180 is better. I hope that everyone of the waiters get between a 170 - 180. ^_^

Time for bed!

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 am

If you want to be an entertainment lawyer working at the corporate offices of Walt Disney Company, go to Barry and buy season tickets to the parks?

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:09 am

I got the admissions email to the school of my dreams yesterday!!!!
I can notify all the other schools and withdraw my applications

Of course, its from CMU, so I know its for real :)

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 am

justabitunusual wrote:I'm finally going to bed after halfway finishing my taxes...ugh! I just wanted to say Yay!! We made it to page 170!!! What? Nobody knows? Yeah 170 is the new 180!!!

Pages on pages 8)

ETA: why is unhealthy food tastier?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:47 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:48 am

storpappa wrote:If you want to be an entertainment lawyer working at the corporate offices of Walt Disney Company, go to Barry and buy season tickets to the parks?

Is this for real?

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:49 am

Dirigo wrote:
RaiderRed wrote:ETA: why is unhealthy food tastier?

Because sugar and salt is addictive.
Gotta detox and then you won't crave them as much after eating healthier.

:( that sounds terrible

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:49 am

RaiderRed wrote:
storpappa wrote:If you want to be an entertainment lawyer working at the corporate offices of Walt Disney Company, go to Barry and buy season tickets to the parks?

Is this for real?

no, its sarcasm ...

We all know that Anaheim is where the Corporate HQ is located :)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:53 am

Last edited by Rigo on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 am

Dirigo wrote:
RaiderRed wrote:

Is this for real?

Do you really have to ask with storpappa?

this is a circus thread after all .... and one with sicilian pie spelled wrong in the poll :)

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:27 am

Dirigo wrote:I think just the general liveliness of NYC will inspire me. I'll want to be a part of that.

:roll:

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:29 am

Shakawkaw wrote:
Dirigo wrote:I think just the general liveliness of NYC will inspire me. I'll want to be a part of that.

Fuck NYC, man. Pay 5k to live in a shoebox. No thanks.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:36 am

Last edited by Rigo on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Post removed.

Postby santoki » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:37 am

Post removed.
Last edited by santoki on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:38 am

Shakawkaw wrote:

How's nyc shak? A jaded New Yorker is definitely my favorite kind

santoki

Post removed.

Postby santoki » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by santoki on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Big Red wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:

How's nyc shak? A jaded New Yorker is definitely my favorite kind

NYC is great! Best part of my day is when I'm in a crowded subway car and some goober is standing really close to me.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:12 pm

Dirigo wrote:My thoughts exactly. All my ties are to New York though so maybe I should just embrace the inevitable.

The dates you will have, Rigo. Or just romantic (Read: not really romantic, really, really not romantic) daydreams on the subway, walking the street.

I know I don't have much to show for it, but that's because I'm picky AF.

Also there are museums and concerts and culture of you're into that sort of stuff.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”