FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS GREY CONFIRMED!!!!

Who will be the first person you tell your score?

Parents
29%
Spouse
22%
Sibling/kids/Other family member
4%
Friends
15%
This Thread
9%
No one loves me
11%
What score?
9%

Total votes: 95

The Abyss

Re: FEBRUARY 2015 WAITERS' CIRCUS

Postby The Abyss » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:51 pm

EvergreenStateLady wrote:
CambrianExplosives wrote:Also California pizza isn't even a real thing. What distinguishes CA pizza? The toppings? I don't buy it.

Detroit style pizza is a real thing. Anyone ever have it before? I personally have only had it once before. They usually twice bake the crust and it's similar to sicilian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza

This is my preferred style of pizza, but I grew up in Detroit. It's a bit different, but really just a take on the Sicilian. Detroit is more known for their Coney Dogs.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:52 pm

btw deep dish FTFW

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:52 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:my internet is lol bad. I try to lurk on here but its a difficult time.

Why only lurk?

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 pm

RaiderRed wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:my internet is lol bad. I try to lurk on here but its a difficult time.

Why only lurk?

reply button doesn't load

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:57 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
RaiderRed wrote:

Why only lurk?

reply button doesn't load

The struggle is real.

ugg

Post removed.

Postby ugg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by ugg on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 pm

The Abyss wrote:
CambrianExplosives wrote:Also California pizza isn't even a real thing. What distinguishes CA pizza? The toppings? I don't buy it.

Detroit style pizza is a real thing. Anyone ever have it before? I personally have only had it once before. They usually twice bake the crust and it's similar to sicilian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza

This is my preferred style of pizza, but I grew up in Detroit. It's a bit different, but really just a take on the Sicilian. Detroit is more known for their Coney Dogs.

I love coney dogs they are my favorite style of hot dog. Our next poll after this should be on best hot dog styles. And sausages / brats shouldn't count as hot dogs or else they'd always win.

Also I forgot to add earlier:
Wikipedia describes California style pizza as being like New York style only thinner crust and usually having toppings inspired by other Californian cuisine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California-style_pizza

It's definitely it's own style and I like it. But I voted for New Haven style as my favorite. I truthfully like all the pizza styles as long as they are well made. Quality is the most important.

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:03 pm

theugg wrote:I don't understand people who eat pizza with a fork

I think people who eat very deep dish pizza are fine using a fork but other than that I agree.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:10 pm

There is literally one person on the golf course. Why am I at work?!?

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:18 pm

RaiderRed wrote:There is literally one person on the golf course. Why am I at work?!?

To play golf? :mrgreen:

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:22 pm

RaiderRed wrote:There is literally one person on the golf course. Why am I at work?!?

To play golf? :mrgreen:

Sadly I haven't played in months even though I get free rounds. Working at a course just makes me not want to play.

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:55 pm

I can't vouch for them but saw this on a different thread:

stbullitt wrote:Hey guys,
I’m a summer starter, but I currently work for a small company in DC. The boss of my company recently purchased a couple of HP 640 ProBook G1 laptops and had about ten extra laptops come in his shipment. My boss is currently looking to unload these laptops and recoup his costs. I volunteered to purchase one, as I’ll need a laptop for law school. I also mentioned to him that there will probably be other potential law students interested in getting an underpriced laptop.
The details: it’s a new, standard HP 640 ProBook G1 laptop going for $500. It doesn’t have Microsoft Office, but it has pretty much everything else you need. The Amazon price for this laptop is $829 from them and $767 (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ProBook+G1) from an independent vendor and a quick Google search made it seem like most other vendors are in that range. This is basically a new laptop for law school at factory cost at a cheaper price than anywhere but EBay, where quality will be sketchy.
After seeing the sublet posts on this thread trying to get you guys to pay 30% above market, I can understand why you guys would be wary of a dude on the Internet trying to pawn off some merch. However, I’m not trying to rip you guys off, I just thought this would be a good opportunity for me to both suck up to my boss by helping him out and help out some law school students who will be poor for the next three years.
I’m not too good with top-law-schools, so you can either PM me or just email me at Stockton.Bullitt@gmail.com. I’m willing to sell to anyone and everyone, so you can invite more people to email me. I have PayPal and Venmo, so payments shouldn’t be a problem.
Let me know as soon as possible because I only have a limited amount of time to brown nose!
Thanks,
Stockton

It seems like a good deal based on their info but I didn't fact check it.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:59 pm

CambrianExplosives wrote:
Shemp wrote:
CambrianExplosives wrote:Shemp, I thought you wanted to become an LSAT instructor. I was under the impression that didn't require a JD. Are you still considering that, because your GPA probably wouldn't hold you back from it and getting a high LSAT would give you an advantage there.

I had to at least attest to the fact that I took the LSAT for the purpose of admission to law school, and this winter is killing me, so I'm just performing my due diligence by trying to figure out a school that would both give me a legitimate reason to move somewhere warm and make me a lawyer for free.

Ah, I see. Well, as other's have said, it would be tricky to get a full ride, especially with the warm stipulation. Here's the mylsn report on the past 4 cycles with 170+ LSAT and 2.8- GPA, http://mylsn.info/j3lwrv/.

It's definitely possible to get into some good schools, but getting a scholarship will be hard and getting a full ride will be really hard. Arizona State seemed to be the highest rated school that was likely to accept, gave a significant scholarship, and was warm. They gave one of the two on there a full tuition scholarship.

Alabama

CambrianExplosives

Postby CambrianExplosives » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:10 pm

EvergreenStateLady wrote:I can't vouch for them but saw this on a different thread:

I’m a summer starter, but I currently work for a small company in DC. The boss of my company recently purchased a couple of HP 640 ProBook G1 laptops and had about ten extra laptops come in his shipment. My boss is currently looking to unload these laptops and recoup his costs. I volunteered to purchase one, as I’ll need a laptop for law school. I also mentioned to him that there will probably be other potential law students interested in getting an underpriced laptop.
The details: it’s a new, standard HP 640 ProBook G1 laptop going for $500. It doesn’t have Microsoft Office, but it has pretty much everything else you need. The Amazon price for this laptop is $829 from them and $767 (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ProBook+G1) from an independent vendor and a quick Google search made it seem like most other vendors are in that range. This is basically a new laptop for law school at factory cost at a cheaper price than anywhere but EBay, where quality will be sketchy.
After seeing the sublet posts on this thread trying to get you guys to pay 30% above market, I can understand why you guys would be wary of a dude on the Internet trying to pawn off some merch. However, I’m not trying to rip you guys off, I just thought this would be a good opportunity for me to both suck up to my boss by helping him out and help out some law school students who will be poor for the next three years.
I’m not too good with top-law-schools, so you can either PM me or just email me at Stockton.Bullitt@gmail.com. I’m willing to sell to anyone and everyone, so you can invite more people to email me. I have PayPal and Venmo, so payments shouldn’t be a problem.
Let me know as soon as possible because I only have a limited amount of time to brown nose!
Thanks,
Stockton

There's no reason to buy that computer in my mind. The only difference between that and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834258331 is a slightly slower CPU and slightly worse GPU. Unless you are planning on playing games (which neither will do well) or doing something intensive like photoshop or video editing then there is no reason to spend the $100 extra.

Alternatively, you can get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0ZX1HP2982 which is basically the same specs as that "$500" laptop for around $475.

I really don't like HP. I think they are overpriced and generally are worse systems. Lenovo has been the best brand I've found, but generally I say that specs/price matter the most, with support reputation breaking ties.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:13 pm

EvergreenStateLady wrote:I can't vouch for them but saw this on a different thread:

Thanks,
Stockton

There's no reason to buy that computer in my mind. The only difference between that and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834258331 is a slightly slower CPU and slightly worse GPU. Unless you are planning on playing games (which neither will do well) or doing something intensive like photoshop or video editing then there is no reason to spend the $100 extra.

Alternatively, you can get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0ZX1HP2982 which is basically the same specs as that "$500" laptop for around $475.

I really don't like HP. I think they are overpriced and generally are worse systems. Lenovo has been the best brand I've found, but generally I say that specs/price matter the most, with support reputation breaking ties.

+1 on hating HP. Plastic POS. I had a $1000 hp laptop and it overheated within a month.

CambrianExplosives

Postby CambrianExplosives » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:14 pm

storpappa wrote:
Shemp wrote:
CambrianExplosives wrote:Shemp, I thought you wanted to become an LSAT instructor. I was under the impression that didn't require a JD. Are you still considering that, because your GPA probably wouldn't hold you back from it and getting a high LSAT would give you an advantage there.

I had to at least attest to the fact that I took the LSAT for the purpose of admission to law school, and this winter is killing me, so I'm just performing my due diligence by trying to figure out a school that would both give me a legitimate reason to move somewhere warm and make me a lawyer for free.

Ah, I see. Well, as other's have said, it would be tricky to get a full ride, especially with the warm stipulation. Here's the mylsn report on the past 4 cycles with 170+ LSAT and 2.8- GPA, http://mylsn.info/j3lwrv/.

It's definitely possible to get into some good schools, but getting a scholarship will be hard and getting a full ride will be really hard. Arizona State seemed to be the highest rated school that was likely to accept, gave a significant scholarship, and was warm. They gave one of the two on there a full tuition scholarship.

Alabama

Tutition for non-residents at Alabama is $120k and the most offered in scholarships on that list is $90k. Arizona Tuition is $125k and offered $120k. I'm not saying Alabama can't or won't offer a good scholarship, but the one's on there are not full rides for anyone who's not a resident.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:14 pm

COSTCO - extra year warranty. On site repairs, walk in to a warehouse exchanges, and a great way to buy frozen fish to eat well while in school and save money...

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:16 pm

storpappa wrote:
Alabama

Tutition for non-residents at Alabama is $120k and the most offered in scholarships on that list is $90k. Arizona Tuition is $125k and offered $120k. I'm not saying Alabama can't or won't offer a good scholarship, but the one's on there are not full rides for anyone who's not a resident.

How do you drill down to see resident / non-resident on the details?

I am always looking at non-res to res scholarships as "soft" or "funny" money, since its going to be for just 1 year, and its nothing out off of their instate rate.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Just bought an "open box" lenovo yesterday at BestBuy for $325

eta: obvs that depends on location, but the point is that you can check area best buys, etc. for "open box"/ clearance items to save money and still retain the in-store purchasing option

CambrianExplosives

Postby CambrianExplosives » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:19 pm

storpappa wrote:
storpappa wrote:
Alabama

How do you drill down to see resident / non-resident on the details?

I am always looking at non-res to res scholarships as "soft" or "funny" money, since its going to be for just 1 year, and its nothing out off of their instate rate.

That may be true. I didn't consider gaining residence. It depends on the state for that. I know here in Washington that as long as you are in school it is impossible to gain residency. You have to leave school for a year in order to qualify. Whereas in Texas I could qualify as long as my wife got a job and worked a year.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:21 pm

CambrianExplosives wrote:as long as my wife got a job and worked a year.

pimp much?

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:22 pm

schmelling wrote:I have not had a PC last me more than 2 years, so Before I go to school I am picking up a macbook. I am switching to the dark side.

I have a mac air and love it bc it's light and very versatile, the only thing it doesn't have is a CD drive, which in over a year of having it, I have yet to miss it...although there are hardware add-ons to accomplish this if it ever became a necessity
Last edited by justabitunusual on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CambrianExplosives

Postby CambrianExplosives » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:23 pm

schmelling wrote:I have not had a PC last me more than 2 years, so Before I go to school I am picking up a macbook. I am switching to the dark side.

For the price of a new 13" MacBook Air you could buy a PC now, save the $500 and buy a new PC in 2 years. I've considered buying a Mac, but I can't think of a single reason to do it other than the fact that they're a little lighter.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:24 pm

MacBooks are the way to go. Mines going on 5 years old now. That's longer then a lot of marriages nowadays.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”