PT 74 lg #23 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gojj11

New

PT 74 lg #23

Post by gojj11 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 am

I still cannot get it.

As I know, contrapositive of ''If not K to T -> both A and B to T" is "either A or B is not to T(or Unless either A or B to T) -> K to T".

Why E is wrong?

I'm getting confused now :evil:

leslieknope

Silver

Re: PT 74 lg #23

Post by leslieknope » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:08 am

E says "either H or F to T" and translates to "/(H or M) to T ----> K to T". That's different than the language in the rule, which calls for a block. C says "/K to T---> FM to T", which, since FH are basically the same item due to the block language, makes it correct.

gojj11

New

Post by gojj11 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:47 am

leslieknope wrote:E says "either H or F to T" and translates to "/(H or M) to T ----> K to T". That's different than the language in the rule, which calls for a block. C says "/K to T---> FM to T", which, since FH are basically the same item due to the block language, makes it correct.
thanks! got what I missed. really helped! :D

Rook

New

Post by Rook » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:33 pm

can someone explain to me how exactly you go about diagramming C? as far as i understand, whatever comes after the 'unless' is the necessary condition, and whatever comes before it is the sufficient negated. i dont know how to diagram this rule, as unless is the first word.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Rook wrote:can someone explain to me how exactly you go about diagramming C? as far as i understand, whatever comes after the 'unless' is the necessary condition, and whatever comes before it is the sufficient negated. i dont know how to diagram this rule, as unless is the first word.
That's actually the trick to diagram the contrapositive. I personally find it easier to think of unless (and without/except/until) as negate sufficient indicators. You take whatever is after the unless, negate it, and that's your sufficient condition. The other term is the necessary condition. So "Unless K is in T, F and M are in T" becomes "/K to T---> FM to T."

Rook

New

Post by Rook » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:29 pm

leslieknope wrote:
Rook wrote:can someone explain to me how exactly you go about diagramming C? as far as i understand, whatever comes after the 'unless' is the necessary condition, and whatever comes before it is the sufficient negated. i dont know how to diagram this rule, as unless is the first word.
That's actually the trick to diagram the contrapositive. I personally find it easier to think of unless (and without/except/until) as negate sufficient indicators. You take whatever is after the unless, negate it, and that's your sufficient condition. The other term is the necessary condition. So "Unless K is in T, F and M are in T" becomes "/K to T---> FM to T."

i see...thanks for the explanation!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”