When a question asks...

When a question asks...

Postby Help123 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:39 pm

about just one of the arguments made in the stimulus, do/should you read the other person's?

For example, the one question I just answered asked for the necessary assumption in Bart's argument. But Anne's argument follows. Should one skip Anne's argument and just go to the answer choices? Looking at the question (PT 16 S3 Q3), it's perfectly answerable without reading Anne's argument.

Do all question that ask you to focus on one person's argument need the other argument to answer the question?! In the time I've been studying for the LSAT, I feel like the questions I've seen that do this don't really require you to analyze or even look at the other argument. and the other argument commonly contains information that (purposely) misleads you to another answer choice.

In this question specifically, reading just Bart's argument would make you get to the answer pretty quickly (+time saved of not reading Anne's). Reading Anne's argument might mislead you to pick C. Not only that, it might make you do a double take since you might recall seeing the reasoning earlier.

Would it also make sense, if you do suggest reading both, that you read the one you aren't supposed to focus on first so the other is more fresh in your mind and you at least have some information about what is says?

Re: When a question asks...

Postby msp8 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:41 pm

I don't read the other person's argument if the Q doesn't require me to. However, I think this isn't an issue with modern tests, since they no longer have two Qs for one stimulus -- and this issue only arose in such instances.

Re: When a question asks...

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:45 pm

You're over thinking.

1.) These 2-question stimuli don't happen anymore.

2.) You're going to have to read both argument anyway to answer the next question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”