Reading Comp Question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HereICome3

New

Reading Comp Question

Post by HereICome3 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Hey everyone, quick question

I am re-taking the feb lsat and have nearly run out of newer RC passages (2007-2014). I have been hesitant to go back to the older ones because I have heard and kind of experienced myself that they are "easier". I was using RC passages from the 2000s and scoring higher (-3,-4) vs. the newer passages (-6,-7).

Question is, is this true, are they actually easier? or am I having some sort of confidence issue? and is it okay to practice with the older RCs?

Thank you!

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Reading Comp Question

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:23 pm

I think the cw is that they are easier, but they're still good practice--especially if you haven't seen them before.

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Dirigo wrote:I think the cw is that they are easier, but they're still good practice--especially if you haven't seen them before.
RC is really bringing my score down. I know I only have a week left but I am getting -6,-7 pretty consistently and on LR -1 or -2 and on games -0 or -1. Do you have any other suggestions? Or should I just turn to the older passages?

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:29 pm

I don't notice a big difference between old RC and new RC. In fact, I prefer newer RC and generally score better.

Drill the old! Even if it's easier, it's the same basic process of reading for structure. And some individual passages are really, really difficult.

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:31 pm

msp8 wrote:I don't notice a big difference between old RC and new RC. In fact, I prefer newer RC and generally score better.

Drill the old! Even if it's easier, it's the same basic process of reading for structure. And some individual passages are really, really difficult.
Thanks...Do you think I have enough time to improve? The weird thing is that when I first started studying I was getting around 24/27 consistently and then right before the december test I started missing 7 or 8 questions and I haven't been able to bounce back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:33 pm

HereICome3 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:I think the cw is that they are easier, but they're still good practice--especially if you haven't seen them before.
RC is really bringing my score down. I know I only have a week left but I am getting -6,-7 pretty consistently and on LR -1 or -2 and on games -0 or -1. Do you have any other suggestions? Or should I just turn to the older passages?
Just drill and do as many RC passages as you can in this remaining week. That's really the only universally credited way to improve RC.

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:38 pm

I've experienced similar inexplicable issues w/ RC. e.g., my avg reading time for passages used to be around 2:40. Now it's around 3:25. Now I have more timing issues than I used to. I answer questions faster and with greater confidence than I used to, however, so I'm uncertain as to whether the added reading time is problematic. I also used to notate a lot; now I don't at all. I prefer not making any notes as my memory for where things are in the passage is strong and underlining/notes tends to be distracting when looking back.

What I've decided to do for this final week (since RC is for me, as it is for you, my major weakness), is to start drilling passages one at a time, rather than whole sections. The rationale being that I can now start breaking down my process better, seeing where my issues are: are they fatigue-related? Overwhelmed by the task of 4 passages at once? And I can better learn from different strategies if I go at them one-by-one; employ different strategies, etc., rather than go all-in on 2-3 sections of drilling per day.

Will see how it works out... In any event, it may be worthwhile considering the above too.

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:24 pm

msp8 wrote:I've experienced similar inexplicable issues w/ RC. e.g., my avg reading time for passages used to be around 2:40. Now it's around 3:25. Now I have more timing issues than I used to. I answer questions faster and with greater confidence than I used to, however, so I'm uncertain as to whether the added reading time is problematic. I also used to notate a lot; now I don't at all. I prefer not making any notes as my memory for where things are in the passage is strong and underlining/notes tends to be distracting when looking back.

What I've decided to do for this final week (since RC is for me, as it is for you, my major weakness), is to start drilling passages one at a time, rather than whole sections. The rationale being that I can now start breaking down my process better, seeing where my issues are: are they fatigue-related? Overwhelmed by the task of 4 passages at once? And I can better learn from different strategies if I go at them one-by-one; employ different strategies, etc., rather than go all-in on 2-3 sections of drilling per day.

Will see how it works out... In any event, it may be worthwhile considering the above too.
How often will you being doing tests this week? In addition to drilling

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:39 pm

I'm working through the Most Difficult packet for LR Qs. I aim to be done that tomorrow. That's my primary focus (I'll do 12 passages today, 12 more tomorrow in addition to that packet). Then Sunday I'll re-start my PTs (w/ at least 1 RC passage to supplement the PT). I'd like to do a PT each day except Friday -- so that would be 5 PTs. Not sure if I'll hit that (or if I'll want to), so I've set a bare minimum of 3 PTs, and a maximum of 5.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”