Feb LSAT: To Cancel or Not To Cancel

chaitealatte
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Feb LSAT: To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Postby chaitealatte » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi everyone! I'm hoping for some advice. I signed up for the Feb LSAT but in the last month, I've dealt with a serious medical issue that's really derailed my ability to study. Before the rough patch, I was routinely scoring between 170-173, and my score has fallen somewhat from that range. I still think it would be a good idea to take the Feb LSAT so I can have the practice (plus if what everyone says is true, the June LSAT can't be worse than Feb). However, I really feel that with more time to study spread out, I can take the LSAT under better mental conditions and do better than I would next week. So here's my question- if I take the LSAT as planned in Feb with the intention of retaking in June, would it be worse to cancel my score or not? I'd like to see how I do, and I know most schools will just take your highest score now, but I also don't want to worsen my chances by having a lower score on the docket. Any advice would be appreciated- thanks!

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2709
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Feb LSAT: To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Postby Shakawkaw » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm

chaitealatte wrote:Hi everyone! I'm hoping for some advice. I signed up for the Feb LSAT but in the last month, I've dealt with a serious medical issue that's really derailed my ability to study. Before the rough patch, I was routinely scoring between 170-173, and my score has fallen somewhat from that range. I still think it would be a good idea to take the Feb LSAT so I can have the practice (plus if what everyone says is true, the June LSAT can't be worse than Feb). However, I really feel that with more time to study spread out, I can take the LSAT under better mental conditions and do better than I would next week. So here's my question- if I take the LSAT as planned in Feb with the intention of retaking in June, would it be worse to cancel my score or not? I'd like to see how I do, and I know most schools will just take your highest score now, but I also don't want to worsen my chances by having a lower score on the docket. Any advice would be appreciated- thanks!


Hi Chaitealatte -

If this is your first take, which it sounds like it is, I would suggest the following: Take it if and only if the pressure will not affect your current mental health issues. I don't know the extent of your condition, but health overrides the LSAT.

If you don't think it'll impair your health, I would definitely take it. It'll give you an idea of what actual testing conditions are like, and you can always retake in June. Who knows? Maybe you won't have to!

Regarding cancelations: should you decide to take the exam in February, I would not cancel. For one, you never know how you performed. Specifically, there have been cases where TLSers, and beyond, have canceled their scores thinking that they did horribly, only to have figured out they would have actually done extremely well. I don't know what your goal score is, but you always want to make sure you're PTing a few points above your goal score, since there is the potential for that dreaded test day drop.

In the current admissions climate, the highest score is the only score that matters. Spivey has a good blog post here regarding cancelations.

Best of luck in whatever you decide! PM me if you have further questions about cancelations or anything else, I'll try my best to help out!

-Shaq

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11952
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Feb LSAT: To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:20 pm

I think you're technically asking about a "withdraw," which is where you would never take the February test. A withdraw will not burn one of your three chances to sit for the LSAT within any two year period. You can withdraw up until midnight on February 6th (the night before the test) and schools will never know you were signed up to take in February.

A "cancel" is where you take the test as schedule but you cancel your score in the week following the test administration. You will never see your score if you cancel and this WILL burn one of your three takes. Schools will see that you sat for the February test and subsequently cancelled.

The conventional wisdom is to only take the LSAT when you are ready and are able to perform your best. That is a judgement call only you can make. Good luck! Feel free to join the June Study Thread if that is the route you choose to go.

User avatar
Smallville
Posts: 4745
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am

Re: Feb LSAT: To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Postby Smallville » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Dirigo wrote:I think you're technically asking about a "withdraw," which is where you would never take the February test. A withdraw will not burn one of your three chances to sit for the LSAT within any two year period. You can withdraw up until midnight on February 6th (the night before the test) and schools will never know you were signed up to take in February.

A "cancel" is where you take the test as schedule but you cancel your score in the week following the test administration. You will never see your score if you cancel and this WILL burn one of your three takes. Schools will see that you sat for the February test and subsequently cancelled.

The conventional wisdom is to only take the LSAT when you are ready and are able to perform your best. That is a judgement call only you can make. Good luck! Feel free to join the June Study Thread if that is the route you choose to go.


chaitealatte wrote:if I take the LSAT as planned in Feb with the intention of retaking in June, would it be worse to cancel my score or not?

Looks like asking about "canceling" to me...

anyways, as Rigo said, its a call only you can make, because only you know your full situation and how your studying is going and what you are capable of. I would assume you plan on applying next cycle as Feb is very late so holding off doesn't really hurt you and is still plenty early for next cycle giving you some options. If you feel Feb will be a waste of a take I would think about pushing back, however if you feel you can score what you want, taking it might not be so bad




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests